New 6” Big Brake From 360 Brake

As you know, one year ago the new management of 360 Brake decided to redesign their “invisible” brake. Here it is in a hub mounted self-contained 6” version.  Evidently this new six-inch brake is designed to provide to bigger motorcycles increased stopping and thermal capacity compared to the standard 5” model. The company states that you get a safe stopping capability with the added value of replacing 2 x 5” models or factory dual-front disks. The 360 Brake system utilizes circular piston and pads activated by hydraulic pressure to deliver 360° of braking pressure to the rotor in a compact 5” or 6” hub. The rotor, which is grooved and vented, together with the brake hat’s specially designed venting system, eliminates dust and heat build up. Models 5” & 6” fit most custom and V-Twin configurations and are offered in a polished finish with chrome and color anodized finishes as upgrades. Currently the 6” BIG Brake can be adapted to most billet wheels. For more information visit 360 Brake or call 317.875.0360 (360-Brake will be a sponsor of “Biker Fusion” the Daytona October 16th industry event to raise money for “Soldier’s Angels Organization”. Individuals can participate with a $50 donation to the troops).

11 Responses to “New 6” Big Brake From 360 Brake”

1. 1 John Elms Oct 12th, 2008 at 12:50 pm

Was kind of scared when I read about the old 360 Brake. Maybe it’s time to try this one.

2. 2 Jeff Nicklus Oct 13th, 2008 at 10:01 am

Has DOT Approved this for street use yet or is there a testing program scheduled for this product? I hope so it is cool as hell!

Over & Out,

3. 3 Dale Oct 14th, 2008 at 9:38 am

Jeff: Thanks for your great question. There is a lot of misinformation going around concerning DOT and what it actually is.

DOT does not actually certify or approve motor vehicles or parts, specifically not aftermarket brakes. They only write minimum performance standards for complete vehicles to be sold as OEM. Manufacturers of OEM vehicles are responsible to certify that their vehicle passes these minimum standards under a baseline set of conditions. Manufacturers can “self certify” that they pass the minimum requirements but most use independent testing labs to do that testing.

The test procedure for motorcycles is the FMVSS122 (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard). From our experience when people bring up DOT testing what they really want to know is, will my bike stop me if I use these brakes or am I safe riding around on these things?

Our company is extremely concerned with safety. We are riders ourselves and have wives and children that want us to come home each night we are out riding. Our mission when we re-designed this brake system was not only to have a great looking product but a great working product as well. We work with the industries leading brake engineers, and do state of the art testing at a certified laboratory called Greening Testing Labs, which has been an expert in brake testing for over 38 years.

Our brake system has been put through the FMVSS122 on a High technology instrumented Dynamometer and passed. This test is more rigorous than anything an actual rider could ever put their bike through. It undergoes over 24 hours of non-stop braking events at speeds up to 115 mph. Many in the industry believe this is actually a harder test than the rider version of this same test because of a rider’s bias doing whatever is necessary to stop the bike.

We continue to put our brakes through multiple tests of the FMVSS122, under different conditions, as part of our ongoing R&D and are actively experimenting with different materials to continue to make this product the best it can be. We believe based on all our data and tests that if an OEM bike manufacturer wanted to utilize this brake system as stock equipment they would be able to obtain their DOT certification.

We are committed to manufacturing only the best and safest products for the motorcycle industry. I hope this has helped answer people’s questions as they relate to DOT / FMVSS and the safety of the 360 Brake.

Dale Needleman
    360 Brake Company

4. 4 Jeff Nicklus Oct 14th, 2008 at 10:58 am

Thanks for your input.

I, as a motorcycle manufacturer for over 14 years now, am very familiar with the certification and testing procedures as outlined by our friends the “Feds”. As one might imagine we have had our bikes tested and retested over the years in an effort to maintain our 49 state certification we now enjoy.

I am also familiar with the “self certification” process which dumps all of the liability for use of a non certified product in our laps should I proceed along those lines. It is always much simpler if a manufacturer certifies a product to meet DOT Guidelines and thereby allowing our use of those products and the manufacturer’s certification.

Unfortunately, at this time, we could not use the 360 brakes on any of our “production” bikes without the testing being completed first. The brake testing program, as you know, is both time consuming and expensive and in today’s motorcycle environment added testing expenses must be kept to a minimum. I could, however, use the 360 brake system on my One-Off bikes without consequence or concern and I may well do that in the very near future.

Thanks Dale for the info and good luck.

Over & Out,

5. 5 Dale Oct 14th, 2008 at 12:07 pm

Your post comes right to the heart of the problem for manufacturers when it relates to DOT certification; time and expense. As you are aware, we could submit any make and model with our brakes and pass. That certification unfortunately is ONLY good for that specific bike with that configuration of standard equipment. Each and every bike that wants to claim DOT certification has to be tested with its stock equipment at a cost of around $8,000 each. So even though we pass DOT on one type of motorcycle it does not allow anyone else to make claims that they have passed.

We at 360 Brake are very big on putting our money where our mouth is. We are confident in our testing data and believe we could pass the DOT on your bikes. If you would like to entertain utilizing the 360 Brake as stock equipment on your production line of bikes we would like to talk more offline. We can discuss costs, production volumes, and testing protocol.

I see from your website that you will be in Daytona this week. Perhaps we can hook up while we are down there and talk further. We are helping to sponsor the Biker Fusion party to raise money for the troops. You are welcome to be my guest. Give me a call or drop me a line. Thanks.

6. 6 Jeff Nicklus Oct 14th, 2008 at 1:21 pm

We have cancelled our visit to Daytona this year …… I have a Dealer Event that will take it’s place. Sorry!

Give me a call after Biketoberfest and we can talk.

Have a good time in Daytona.

Over & Out,

7. 7 T.A. Brown Nov 4th, 2008 at 8:19 pm

I was seriously thinking about buying the 360 Brake for my bike, but I am concern about some of the negative things I heard about the stopping power and how the breaks heat up. I think it’s a great invention and it would look great on my HD Bagger. Can you just use the 360 Brake just on the front and keep your regular brakes on the rear of your bike. I guess the person I spoke to was critical that the 360 Brake did not work when he was trying to stop at a intersection and he went right through it. This was almost a year ago. Has their been improvements to your product? I heard that ownership has been passed through three diffrent owners of this brake system. The person I spoke to said he just returned the brake due to it being unsafe. I’m still on the fence. What can you tell me to make me feel totally trustful of this product. Thank you for your time and I hope to hear from you.

8. 8 RollinPhat Feb 12th, 2009 at 7:00 pm

Great Question TA. Since you asked that Nov 4th I assume they’re still trying to think of a non scripted answer. Ive seen some of these brakes in use and fred flinstone could stop his rock mobile with his feet faster than these 360 brakes would stop a bike. Great idea. Great look. Sad performance. Alot of P’d off people out there who bought them.

9. 9 dale Apr 7th, 2009 at 10:26 am

To: TA Brown and Rollin Phat,
    This was just brought to my attention, we have been busy at bikes shows and events.

Let me try to answer all of your questions in order.
    YES: the 360 brake, 5″ or 6″ can be used on the front, or the back, left or right side. A very common intall right now is dual 5″s or a 6″ brake on the front, and stock brake on the rear of baggers. You cannot see the back anyways.
    YES: There have been significant improvements to the brakes. As well, there is a new 6″ brake released in Mid 2008. This is a very popular item.
    OWNERSHIP: There have only Been 2 groups of ownership of the 360 brake Product. I am with the new company,that launched the new product in January of 2008.The products produced and sold after 1-1-09, are significantly improved from the previous company, and we had offered an upgrade program for those who owned “old – original” 360 brakes that had problems, or did not perform well. To my knowledge, complaints of poor performance, were from the old brake, and those who upgraded are pleased with the new 360 Brake performance, as well as many hundred other users.
    As far as P’ed off people, I believe those complaints all came from the old (2007) product.

360 Brake is alive and well, and enjoying a lot of happy customers. We now have installs in many countries, and on many different bikes.Recently, because of the Bagger Craze, we are watching the 6 ” Brake gain in sales numbers, as people are putting them on the front of baggers with a 21″ inch wheel and 6″ brake combination. This provides an awesome “Custom Look” for litte $$.
    At the V-Twin show at Cincy, RC Components showed a street Glide with 21″ front and a 6″ Brake, as well, Sucker Punch Sally’s debuted 2 bikes with the 360 Brake 5″ model on them. Builders like Paul Yaffe build with the 360 Brake, and rides it on his own bike. Paul told us in an interview in Cincy, that he has 10,000 miles on his bike with360’s, he ride 2 up and loaded, and loves the brake.

TA: Our brake provides more than adequate stopping power for many different applications. BUT our product is not meant for Racing or competition use. Because of its size, it is limited in it’s ability to perform under those abusive situations.Testing in Europe for the rigorous TUV is going on now.

We have installations and happy customers, using single 5″, dual 5: and 6 inch Brakes.
    There is currently a dual 6″ install being done on a Boss Hoss.

I have been a rider for 35 years. I currently ride 360 brakes on my bike every day, usually 2 up with my wife, they are safe, and we enjoy riding.

Please check out our tail of the dragon Video @ or Tail of the dragon .com
    I rode a softail and a victory hard through the dragon, YES- the brakes work great.( the dragon is 318 turns in 11 miles in TN)

Thanks for your post,
    360 Brake President

10. 10 dale Apr 7th, 2009 at 10:51 am

We stand behind our product, and want to make you a believer
    please check us out at upcoming shows, and also check our website for more info.and dealers near you.
    Also, feel free to check with the many wheel manufacturer’s who sell and endorse the 360 Brake with their product, ie. Extreme Machine, Metalsport wheels, Pickard USA, Sinious, Art in Motion and others

360 Brakes Are awesome, and there is nothing else like them anywhere,
    Perform Fantastic and Look even Better,
    and let’s face it ” Looks Matter”

11. 11 bigals Apr 4th, 2010 at 8:39 pm

I live in Australia and I am very interested in your product (360 brake), recently purchased a harley and the bigest problem is the stopping. I put a new master cylinder and a MP 6 spot caliper on my 2009 low rider and has improved slightly, but no where nere the manufacturers claims of “better braking distance” and was thinking of going for a second disc, right fork leg, change the diamond back hose, another caliper and wheel etc which will cost a fortune. How dificult and how costly would it be to go to your system of say twin 5″ or 6″, can i stay with the narrow glide front end?do i need special fork tubes?what wheels etc.
    Is there any one over here dealing with your product want to look into the varibles before committing to go your way, looks great yes but how do they go in the rain etc.
    thanks AL