Sucker Punch Sally’s Unveils 5 New Custom Bikes

Cincinnati. Another pole of attraction (I mean during the trade show, not after hours) was the Sucker Punch Sally’s display where 5 new bikes were unveiled. One, dubbed “The Workingman”, is similar to “The Traditional” but with a DNA Springer, Ultima transmission and solid color paint for $18995 and $1000 with a $1000 dealer incentive rebate program, so it will retail at $17995. The second bike is a Sportster built in an old school racer style. The 3rd one is a Triumph Thruxton that SPS customized for Fender Guitars. In addition Sucker Punch Sally’s unveiled their two new bikes “Love” and “Hate”. These are prototype production bikes that will be offered on a limited basis through their dealer network with the idea being that some people want a full-blown production custom. They have been designed by Ami James (Miami Ink) and Christian Clayton (SPS). Sucker Punch Sally’s (top left “Love”. Top right “Hate”. Bottom left “Sporty”. Bottom right “Triumph”. Picture of “Workingman” not yet available)

25 Responses to “Sucker Punch Sally’s Unveils 5 New Custom Bikes”

1. 1 Sheridan Feb 10th, 2009 at 8:23 am

That sportster powered bike looks might fine! Be interesting to see price given the cheaper drive train…

2. 2 Pitbull Feb 10th, 2009 at 11:18 am

Too ba they used an Ultima trans, just try to get replacment parts for that thing, immpossible.

3. 3 Rock Star Feb 10th, 2009 at 12:14 pm

DNA springers have a hideous front leg
    not like your wife

4. 4 ian Feb 10th, 2009 at 12:42 pm

i am just using a DNA springer on a bike i am building, does anyone (other than Rock Star who is too busy boning my wife) have any issues with them?

5. 5 sheriff Feb 10th, 2009 at 12:53 pm

DNA made in China

6. 6 Boss Hawg Feb 10th, 2009 at 1:50 pm

Sucker Punch builds some mighty fine bikes and, as always, a manufacturer does offer options if by chance one is not happy with the base model products.

Boss Hawg

7. 7 Bobfather Feb 10th, 2009 at 1:59 pm

I’ve seen the DNA springers and they have a decent finish for the price. They tend to work well although I wouldn’t use any springer on an extremely long rake and stretch chopper style bike. For a Bobber style bike they tend do just fine.

8. 8 Fred Feb 10th, 2009 at 4:57 pm

Ian, the only issue I saw with DNA springers was a couple years ago. Customers were complaining the springers made alot of noise after about 1,000 miles. I found the rods that run through the springs were wearing at the lower nuts. There was no bushing or spacers in the through holes and the rods were wearing at this point. This allowed the springs to shake too much side to side. I heard DNA addressed this problem, but I don’t know how old your forks are. Keep on top of the rockers also for torque specs.

9. 9 ian Feb 10th, 2009 at 5:15 pm

Thanks for the advice – i am keeping the budget tight and here in the UK – Paughco are at least three times the price.

10. 10 Seymour Feb 10th, 2009 at 6:31 pm

I’m kinda diggin’ “Hate”.

Surprised they are using DNA’s. They have a shitty reputation and don’t look right either.

11. 11 Pitbull Feb 10th, 2009 at 6:56 pm

Go with Paughco for the Springer, great price, made in the USA, and they’ve been around for decades, Ron Paugh the owner takes pride in what his company makes. I understand saving money but its like the Trans, I broke a dog of the first gear, the gear was actually cut throught the dog creating a weak spot, I tried to get another gear to no avail, dealers can’t get it, tried going direct on for them to take my order and tell me there outta stock and don’t know when they’ll get more. What good is a product if you cant maintain it?

12. 12 Slag Feb 11th, 2009 at 9:25 am

Pitbull wrote….What good is a product if you cant maintain it?
    This is exactly why I have become skeptical about using Ultima products. As long as you don’t need product service or parts your ok. There is no way to contact Ultima for any reason you may have as for as I know. I guess you get what you pay for as the old saying goes.

13. 13 Jeff Nicklus Feb 11th, 2009 at 12:30 pm

Ultima Products are produced by Midwest Motorcycle Supply in Pevely (St. Louis), Mo. Phone number: 800-325-3914. There problem solved and rumors stopped.

Over & Out,

14. 14 Wacko Feb 11th, 2009 at 1:31 pm

I like the looks of these bikes but I do hear the concerns about certain of the components such as the DNA springers and the Ultima tranny. These packages that are appearing in the market are built very inexpensively and are affordable. Everyone needs to keep in mind that these are production choppers and will ALWAYS require upkeep and work on them.

With that in mind, I would consider buying one of these bikes with the intention of upgradeing to higher quality products when the cheaper stuff fails. With the price point of these bikes, I could finance and replace the springer with a Paucho and the tranny with the new DD 7 from Baker.

I am personally pleased that Brass Balls, SuckerPunch, BMC, and some of the others are still around (that swift board tracker is pretty sweet!).

Just my two cents…..bring on the hate mail.

15. 15 Dave B. Feb 12th, 2009 at 5:50 pm

The main issue I have with DNA springers is that the front leg assembly is ugly, just plain doesn’t look right at all. I have never used one, and have no knowlege of their components, but I can say this about springers because I have made them for years…
    1) Aftermarket springers using caged needle bearings in the rockers are a maintenance problem, use oilite bushings that last.
    2) Springers should have a bushing wear surface (again, oilite) that allows spring rods to smoothly move through the operating range without binding or wearing prematurely.
    3) Springs should be supported by a retaining collar at top and bottom of the springs (both upper and lower springs) to assure proper alignment and quiet and smooth operation of the spings and guide rods.
    4) The entire front fork assembly should be made of high quality (preferably chromoly tubing) steel with a heavy wall thickness to provide a safe and long lasting use. The trees and rockers should be a high quality steel at least 1/2″ thick, with a design that allows the fork assembly to be properly mounted and locked into position with either torque nuts or castle nuts with pins.
    I have seen some really dangerous springers over the years, so no matter who’s you buy, make sure it is well made and safe for your use.
    Harley, Paughco, Mondo, Freddie, SugarBear, NYC Choppers and many others make good looking, well-working forks (me too by the way).
    Just don’t buy some cheap Ebay springer that is one pothole away from sending you over the handlebars.

16. 16 Slag Feb 12th, 2009 at 9:01 pm

Jeff, thanks for the info here . What is their number for technicial support ?

17. 17 Mike Feb 13th, 2009 at 8:00 am

Please tell me that “sporty” is going to be a production bike, and not just a one time custom. Led Sled Customs does amazing work with sportsters, but we need a production model from someone.

18. 18 Sheridan Feb 13th, 2009 at 8:56 am

I agree Mike, so long as they pass on the cost saving of the drive train choice

19. 19 ian Feb 15th, 2009 at 5:38 am

Fred / Dave B – really appreciate the advice – its too late i have the forks, we have pulled them apart and re-built them and they seem OK – but I guess its only after a few thousand miles I will see the difference. I will keep a close look out and will upgrade as and when.
    Thanks again.

20. 20 No Skool Feb 16th, 2009 at 5:33 pm

Hate to admit it but I agree with Nicklus. I have found my Ultima 6-spd to be an excellant buy. At about $600 ( I think), can’t beat it. Yeah, it’s not a Baker. Yeah they leave out the clutch rod. But for all that have been sold, the failure rate is really low. And then they replace it.

Pitbull, I second that Paugcho suggestion mostly because it is the closet to an HD you can get. My issue with any springer has always been the dampner. As you know, it’s a real important part of the design. Bulky but necessary. I found an immmaculate 90 HD springer and am putting most of the rake back in it now. Hopefully that will go well. If you want an ol skool springer, get HD first, Paugcho second. Otherwise America Suspension or (the Cadillac) Rolling Thunder. Both have dampening.

No Skool

21. 21 Jeff Nicklus Feb 23rd, 2009 at 6:34 pm

…………”Hate to admit it but I agree with Nicklus.” ………………

That’s it! Enough for me for the day …. I am going home and drinking a Scotch! It couldn’t get any better today. LOL

Over & Out,

22. 22 ralph Feb 28th, 2009 at 5:11 pm

Love sure looks like my wheels butt where not bought from me. If you want to look at the wheel design it is on my website and on the cover of hot bike mag. Why get sucker-punched when you can Knock them out. Ralph

23. 23 Andy Mar 15th, 2009 at 11:07 am

Based on all this Springer dialoge, I have a question: Should you buy a Sucker Punch Sallys Traditional with the springer front end of pneumatic? It looks cooler with the springer, but now I’m concerned…Advice please?

24. 24 Andy Mar 15th, 2009 at 11:08 am

Sorry I meant springer or pneumatic

25. 25 John Miller Mar 15th, 2009 at 11:18 am

Not pneumatic, hydraulic! Springer, better looking. Hydraulic, more comfortable.