Viper Motorcycle Company Monster 152” Billet Engine

viper152Viper Powersports designs, produces and markets through an independent dealer network a line of premium custom V-Twin Super Cruiser motorcycles, V-Twin aftermarket engines and other related aftermarket products. The company designs and manufactures custom motorcycles, accessories and motorcycle engine component parts with patented technology using Computer Aided Design (CAD). Viper Motorcycle Company and Ilmor Engineering, Inc. today announced a joint venture to develop the  Viper 152 cubic inch V-Twin motorcycle engine. The all polished billet engine was designed specifically for Viper Motorcycles and is currently used exclusively in the all new Diamondback Super Cruiser.

Viper Motorcycles and famed race engine design and development company Ilmor Engineering have teamed together to develop enhancements to the V-Twin engine for all future Viper products including the release of the engine for custom aftermarket motorcycle applications. Ilmor Engineering is best known for its expertise and success in the highest levels of automobile racing. The company has over 200 Indy Car wins to its credit including winning the prestigious Indy 500 no less than 14-times. Created as a race engineering company in the UK more 25 years ago, Ilmor has grown to over 140 personnel worldwide with facilities in Plymouth, Michigan and Northampton, England. Paul Ray, Ilmor Engineering, Inc.’s President said, “Viper Motorcycles and Ilmor have a tremendous amount in common and importantly, share a passion for excellence. The agreement between us is the starting point. We are very excited to get moving on the development path.”

John R Silseth II, Viper Powersports CEO said, “Our key to success will be the quality and performance of our 152 V-Twin both in our production bikes and in the aftermarket. I am very excited about what this partnership is capable of bringing to the table. Ilmor is the ideal partner to solidify our future.”

13 Responses to “Viper Motorcycle Company Monster 152” Billet Engine”

1. 1 Brandon May 26th, 2009 at 7:49 pm

152 cubic inch/ Nice, but not for the average biker. I wonder how the engine behaves at low speed. Obliged to keep your hand on the clutch?

2. 2 raycwheeler May 26th, 2009 at 11:50 pm

Met Terry Nesbit , one of the Viper principals in Dallas at Strokers while a 152 inch Viper was present and running , quite an impressive motorcycle . Witnessed at least 3 employees ride the Viper off the lot and return with stellar reviews , all were gone at least 15 minutes each and rode one after the other . The Viper did not experience any overheating not clutch slippage while the motor sounded like a sewing machine .

The Viper may not be for all , but definetly one helleva of a ride , your basis Ferrari on 2 wheels .

On my to do list is a Viper .

Ray c wheeler

3. 3 Conrad May 27th, 2009 at 2:59 am

In a previous post you will see me talking about how this engines stats are kind of weak compared to the CI. Viper, are you all doing something to bump up the output of the engine and see how far you can stretch the powerband out? Or is it something you will not be interested in because of the EPA and other governing factors?

Sorry to like a reporter or some sort of creep like that but I feel with the looks of the engine and the size there are way more capabilities for it.

4. 4 MotoXcycle May 27th, 2009 at 8:12 am

Now that’s a bike worth paying a lot of money for!

5. 5 J May 27th, 2009 at 11:03 am

Eh? There’s more to an engine than a dyno sheet, Conrad- do more reading about Viper- the 20% less heat claim alone makes it interesting to me- more power= more heat, I’m tired of roasting my cockles in Florida.

Know one knows much more than Ilmor about building an engine.

Only so much torque under the curve I can use before my tire turns to dust, anyway- very nice looking engine, counterbalanced as well- sweet.

6. 6 Conrad May 27th, 2009 at 1:11 pm

Did I ever say there wasnt more to an engine than a dyno sheet? NO. I am saying since everything thinks about buying a 152 because they want the biggest production engine they may as well be able to get the power that an engine that size SHOULD produce. If you cant handle the heat between your legs get in a car with airconditioned seats.

7. 7 Jeff Nicklus May 27th, 2009 at 2:05 pm

Hey J,

Horsepower does not necessarily equate to heat build up within an engine ….. much more goes into a heat issue than that …… fin area, airflow over the fins, timing, fuel, ambient outside temperature, density altitude, humidity, oil volume etc. are all factors.

We produce a 149 cu. in billet motor that produces over 200hp at the rear wheels that runs as cool as the average HD. Then again are you really having any fun if you don’t smell like someone is pressing your jeans with you in them when riding? Nah!

Over & Out,

8. 8 Grayhawk May 27th, 2009 at 7:03 pm

Terry has been around the block for a while now, if memory serves me he was a manufacturors rep in Texas for years, pretty creditable industry guy.

My guess is they, Viper, know what all the possibilities are with the base 152 but have marketed based on their production bike motorcycle goals within the guidelines they certified said motor in a production bike.

Would not surprise me if the motor alluded to above as a stand alone aftermarket sale will/could be posting different numbers as to my knowledge they are not required to follow all same constraints and probably could offer torque/hp options ??

They picked a good motor partner so good things should be forthcoming.

Saw the original Viper at Cincy a couple years ago, liked the lines then also, one of the many bike styles I like.

Do have one question does that OIF frame set up come with an embedded electric tracing option to cold start that big puppy in the Minnesota winters?

Good Luck Guys,

9. 9 James (Kiwi) May 28th, 2009 at 2:33 pm

I have enough trouble keeping my license as it is.
    then again how many powerful bikes are bought for pose value and never ridden to their potential…….lots..and how many people that own powerful motorcycles cannot ride for jack…lots

Brass Monkey rally this weekend and I aint going. cause I’m a wuss.
    Snow predicted for site …..bikers are nuts

Have a good weekend all

10. 10 Dave Jun 26th, 2009 at 1:27 pm

Interesting. Hadn’t heard of Viper until this press release, so I went to check it out. Looks nice, the press release says sales are running ahead of plan. So I’m thinking I’ll look at the bike and maybe I should put some $$ into the company.

Yahoo finance and company filings don’t show any revenue, no chang in A/R, or in inventory for its latest quarter ending – how are sales running ahead of plan then? Also shows net LOSSES of – 11.3 M in 06, -2.4 m in 07, and – 2.0 M in 2008, and net tangible assets of 313 thousand and that stock price has declined from over $ 2.00 a share down to $ 0.35 a share in two years. The press release has a funny odor to it. How can sales be ahead of plan when you don’t a. Have inventory, b., have Have A/R, c., have -60.8 thousand in revenue AND d. have 3,222 in cash?

Turns out, Fairless and Nesbitt are buds from way back.

anyway, it is a cool bike. it will be interesting to see if market demand is there for a new manufacturer, and if so, if the company has the ability to produce them given their financial condition. Looks like a lot of innovation on the bike, just don’t know if they’ll be around tomorrow. As for investing? I’ll wait!

11. 11 tazzy1117 Jun 29th, 2009 at 12:22 pm

I think you have to understand that Viper just receive its EPA and DOT approvals at the end of 2008. So it has moved from a R&D company to a Revenue company.
    Viper has invested over $29 million in motorcycle and engine development. Very low R&D investment when compared to Harley and Victory spent on developing their engine and motorcycles. $150 million (V-Rod)and $250 million respectively.
    Viper is one of three American OEM motorcycle manufacturers:
    1) Harley Davidson (HOG)
    2) Polaris (PII)
    3) Viper Powersports (VPWS)

To answer the question of how sales can be ahead of plan. Companies make internal forecast for sales and the company is stating the sales are running ahead of forecast.Retail sales in the motorcycle industry is seasonal. The selling season is March to September. Look at HOG for cycle.
    The key to Viper is its motorcycle and engine technology.
    The motorcycles have been very well received by the motorcycle press and the dealership network.
    The engine technology makes it the most powerfull 45 degree V-twin in the market that has EPA approval. The partnership with Ilmor lends to creditiblity of Viper engine.
    Lets look at the management team of Viper. Very season industry professionals.
    Terry Nesbitt has been in the powersports industry for over 30 years. Including being national sale manager at Polaris (PII).
    Andrew Broadley has over 30 years of expertise in the industry as production and technical manager at varies companies including Lola, Indian Motorcycles.
    The final point is that Viper has position itself to handle the difficult economy. It has lower its breakeven on a cashflow standpoint to 5 motorcycles a month. Its current backlog for 2009 is in excess of that number. Aftermarket engine sale being at the end of the year is accretive to earnings.
    In the interest of fair discloser. I have been an investor in the company for over 7 years.I am not a officer or director or an insider.

12. 12 Rafael Menda Aug 16th, 2009 at 9:04 am

I am looking for bike, that looks like this bike . I would like to know how much

13. 13 TC Sep 18th, 2009 at 4:49 pm

About 36,000.

The ride is awesome ,
    The Tranny is smooth as butter.

Good Luck,