videoauctionIf you want a new illustration of the power of the Internet and of the necessity of brick and mortar stores to use new technology to sell more/faster/worldwide, this coming weekend Rossmeyer’s 24 Hour Online Auction is a perfect example.  Bruce Rossmeyer’s Daytona Harley-Davidson will host the first ever Bruce Rossmeyer Harley-Davidson 24-Hour Live Auction online from Saturday, November 7, 2009 at noon to Sunday, November 8, 2009 at noon. Log on to Bruce Rossmeyer Auctions and peruse a fine selection of more than 100 used motorcycles that are up for auction.

Each motorcycle will be listed with up to 10 photos and an interactive video in which a Bruce Rossmeyer’s Harley-Davidson sales person will present a virtual sales pitch, highlighting the bike’s features and doing a 360 degree walk around the bike. Throughout the 24-hour period you can bid on the bikes (all models are represented), starting with a $500 minimum bid, and at the end of the auction the highest bidder will win the bike. Bruce Rossmeyer’s Harley-Davidson also offers national and international shipping on all bikes and financing options, and accepts most major forms of payment such as credit cards and checks. Due to the low dollar value I bet that this auction is going to attract a lot of foreign buyers. On Sunday at noon let’s check how many are sold and at what price. A good barometer of the Harley-Davidson used bikes market. Bruce Rossmeyer Auctions

11 Responses to “Rossmeyer’s 24 Hour Online Video Motorcycle Auction To Sell 100 Used Harley-Davidson”

1. 1 FREDP Nov 4th, 2009 at 12:16 pm

NO RESERVE ON ANY OF THE BIKES???? Better than E-Bay!!!

2. 2 Boss Hawg Nov 4th, 2009 at 5:44 pm

Hi Cyril,

FYI…I just finished talking on the phone with the On Line Auction Manager at Rossmeyers. He stated that the on-line registration cannot be completed…will not accept email addies…until Friday the 6th at noon.

Boss Hawg

3. 3 Dr Robert Harms Nov 6th, 2009 at 6:36 am

Im not impressed. Note: under FAQ it states “Note: In reserve price auctions (those with hidden minimum standards)”. Its actually less attractive than Ebay which (at least) has the existance of a reserve noted. I suspect the auction is a method of fishing for buyers who will bid against a hidden reserve, not win and then be contacted to buy based on bid interest.

4. 4 Bob Nov 7th, 2009 at 4:49 pm

There are reserve prices. I just tried bidding on 2 different models, and it was stated that “Unfortunately, you are not the winning bidder for this item.”, even though I have the high bid. Then it states “Reserve not met”

Almost sounds like another bait and switch to me.

Sad

5. 5 Boss Hawg Nov 8th, 2009 at 8:18 am

Bob,

Seems they may have told a little lie to Cyril, cause there sure is a reserve.

Boss Hawg

6. 6 Boss Hawg Nov 8th, 2009 at 12:08 pm

How interesting!

99 bikes up for auction and 99 bikes bid on.

No Winners! Now wait, and you will be contacted to close the deal at a higher price.

One must wonder if Rossmeyers buyers would like if https://www2.manheim.com/products/buying_selling conducted there auctions as they have?

Self serving and absolute blue sky & wiffle dust swirling.

Boss Hawg

7. 7 Jim C Nov 8th, 2009 at 12:25 pm

If you look at this auction as a barometer of the industry prices,then we are all in trouble as it looked to me that 90% of the bikes brought about 50% of the recognised value. Not good.

8. 8 Jim B Nov 9th, 2009 at 10:48 am

Reserve pricing just seems silly to me. I see no real reason for it. The seller hides the price of a bike, but he’ll let me buy it if I guess high enough? Brilliant! In the case of ebay it’s even worse. If the reserve is $10k and I bid a $50k, all the seller gets is $10k. Lowest high bid wins. All my $50k means is that someone must bid $50,001 to beat me. So why not just start the bid at $10k? Why make me guess what you want to sell it for?? Whenever I am shopping for a bike and see a reserve, I just move on. It’s kind of like when you are shopping for a car, and they don’t list the mileage to try and make you call in. The buyer should set the minimum price and let the bidders set the maximum price.

Just my $.02

9. 9 Shifter Nov 9th, 2009 at 1:13 pm

As far as I know this auction was a fiasco. Did they sell at least one?

10. 10 Boss Hawg Nov 10th, 2009 at 8:47 am

Shifter,

Noper, you assumed correctly.

If this is the “new illustration of the power of the Internet and of the necessity of brick and mortar stores to use new technology to sell more/faster/worldwide” they are in for a rude wake up call.

Besides bikes, I am in the retail industry (with internet presence) with a staple product that every household must have. Let me tell you that it has been somewhat brutal the past 3 years riding the roller coaster….If you are not running “true discounted” sales….you are not going to survive and some savvy competitors will eat your lunch.

Yeah…you will get the one off “lay-down” as we call them where price has no bearing. However, if you take a detailed look at Ebay as a barometer and know the wholesale/trade-in/retail values of the bikes in general, you will see that many are selling at wholesale or below. Therefore, it is not possible nor feasible for Rossmeyers to conduct a bullshit retail auction. This little 24 hr show cost Rossmeyers thousands of $$$$$$ to put on and out of 99 bikes listed, not one bidder was a successful bidder. But you can more than likely look for follow up contacts if you were in the top 3 bidders per bike.

I know some of the Rossmeyer family and wish them all the best.

Boss Hawg

11. 11 Bigalyts Nov 10th, 2009 at 11:35 am

I have nothing new to say about Auctionns or the way they are done. I am just here to comment on the OLD proverb and that a “Moouch is a Moouch”, and you will find the most of them at or near an Auction. Nobody is giving something away and least of all The Rossmeyer Family. I guess that they were all taught “half Dollars for Dollars” that is what you will get at a Rossmeyer Auction. What would ever let the Bidder’s expect anything different, tha’s why they are called Mooche’s.

Crusher