Charles Bronson’s 1972 Honda XL250 Auctioned On eBay

charlesbronsoncharlesbronsonbisSounds like all silver screen celebrities owned motorcycles with their estates deciding that it’s no more worth it to keep them. Formerly the property of legendary Hollywood actor Charles Bronson, this 1972 Honda XL250 dirt bike was owned, registered and ridden regularly by the silver screen icon and remains in original unrestored condition. This motorcycle was consigned by the Bronson estate (after the actor’s death) to the 2007 Bonhams auction at the Petersen Automotive Museum in Los Angeles where the current owner purchased it.

1972 was the first year for this model and was Honda’s very first commercial attempt at a dirt bike.  This, therefore, is the “father” of Honda’s extremely impressive and successful line of off-road motorbikes. Weighing approx. 300lbs with fuel and oil, it has a single cylinder 4-stroke, 250cc motor with an all-alloy, overhead-cam, 4-valve unit with integral 5-speed gearbox, housed in a robust cradle-type frame. Still registered in Bronson’s name, this motorcycle has not been modified in any respect since it was purchased at auction from the Bronson estate. It has been in dry storage since the auction and has not been titled, registered or started. Included were all the following documents: original California registration cards in Bronson’s name for 1984, 1985 and 1986, and an original 1985 AAA insurance card in Bronson’s name. These documents will be given to the new owner of this motorcycle. You can bid by jumping to eBay Motors.

Zipper's Kits For New Bikes

10 Responses to “Charles Bronson’s 1972 Honda XL250 Auctioned On eBay”

1. 1 Jasper Nov 6th, 2009 at 10:32 am

Bronson was as cool as McQueen. Maybe that’s why they co-starred in at least 4 movies together. Sure, he was not as an accomplished bike rider or car racer as McQueen but he was just as cool and tough. So while McQueen bikes fetch $50K today, getting a Bronson bike for under $5k seems like an incredible deal. Good luck to the new owner!

2. 2 BREWdude Nov 6th, 2009 at 10:53 am

Plus the Honda XL250 was at that time the leader in trailbike technology. 4 valves per cylinder, D.I.D. alloy rims stock, the suspension and the lightweight were all the big news in all the dirtbike mags. Then the 250 Elsinore came out. Being a Bronson bike also makes this bike.

3. 3 Mediaguy Nov 6th, 2009 at 11:56 am

I bought one of these XL250’s when they came out. $750 out the door from Simi Valley Honda. Was a great enduro bike and I ended up on Honda’s Enduro Team in the ’70’s. Honda was the leader in 4-stroke technology way back in the day.

4. 4 1550tc Nov 6th, 2009 at 1:44 pm

Media guy

Honda was the leader in 4-stroke technology way back in the day.

this xl and the 250 elsinore were great bikes and still are fun to ride today

Next to HD’s love these ole hondas, starting with the cub, 450’s & original 750’s and so many others to name.

the one Honda that was WAY ahead of its time was the Transalp, these on off road bikes are one of the hottest markets going……..that ktm 990 Adventure is a great all round bike in this segment

They still fetch $3000+ on ebay, i saw 2 of them in Nemo last summer, still looked great!

5. 5 BREWdude Nov 6th, 2009 at 3:20 pm

If you noticed on my wife’s bike Golden Deliverance I used a modified front end and both wheels from an 1972 XL250

6. 6 Jim Nov 10th, 2009 at 1:29 pm

That is one awesome bike. I can’t beleive it is selling for soooo cheap on ebay.

Way cool.

7. 7 rude dog Jun 12th, 2010 at 5:48 pm

I bought a brand new XL 250 in 1975 and it was one of the best bikes I have ever owned. I started racing on that bike and moved on to many honda XRs, but the ole XL is the one I have the fondest memories of… it was way ahead of its time!

8. 8 rude dog Jun 12th, 2010 at 5:50 pm

I’d like to have another on just like it!

9. 9 frank yanni Jan 17th, 2012 at 12:29 pm

I recently purchased a early 60’s Kawasaki K1F 650 TT scrambler
    and was told by the guy iI bought it from that is was owned by Charles Bronson

Can you help me find out how to document this PLEASE !!

I will pay for this help Frank Yanni 916 833 1857

1. 1 בלו ביי - קונים מוכרים - מכירות פומביות, מכירות רגילות, לוחות ובארטרים Trackback on Nov 21st, 2009 at 6:28 am

Trade In Your iPhone