Perimeter Disc Rotors Installed On Spoke Wheels

You saw this type of brake system on a few custom motorcycles. And you thought it was beautiful and a good way to show your custom wheel. In single or dual version, front or rear wheel, they are not available as a complete kit from your favorite wheel vendor.

So the perimeter disc brake rotors you saw were installed by the builder. Maybe some will want to launch a debate in “comments” about the unsprung weight advantages versus the higher gyroscopic and braking forces generated from a wheel with a rim fitted disc brake, but the main purpose of this post is to introduce you to what I think are the first pre-assembled perimeter discs on spoke wheels. And since this company is HD Wheels with a lot of spoke pattern offerings and colors (rims & spokes), you just got many more options to customize your bike. Perimeter discs available on wheels from 15″ to 21″. Contact Andrei Rybkin on my behalf at 818-887-9065 or visit HD Wheels.

8 Responses to “Perimeter Disc Rotors Installed On Spoke Wheels”

1. 1 Shifter Jul 15th, 2010 at 8:50 am

Beautiful.

2. 2 Jake M. Jul 15th, 2010 at 9:06 am

HD Wheels makes some really beautiful stuff to really make your bike stand apart.

3. 3 Lyle Jul 15th, 2010 at 1:26 pm

I hope the wheel shown on the left isn’t going to be used on an actual motorcycle.

4. 4 tepiddeath Jul 15th, 2010 at 10:17 pm

Lyle, I think I know your concerns about the wheel on the left… the lack of strength due to radially lacing the wheel. I do not know if the same holds true in this case, but I know that the Buell models with the perimeter front braking system use the rotor as a large amount of it’s support. In fact without it the wheel would collapse. As I said I do not know if that is the case with these wheels, and without knowing I would definitely recommend them to any friends!

5. 5 Todd8080 Jul 16th, 2010 at 2:27 am

Knowing how much more efficient perimeter rotors are from their use on Buells, you’d think the MoCo would start using them on Big Twins. A single perimeter rotor works as well or better than two 11½” rotors, provided it has an adequate caliper (as in four pistons).

That alone amounts to quite an unsprung weight savings on dual-disc models (especially considering it also means one less caliper), and Softail owners could finally have great brakes right from the factory.

I’ve heard more than one person say that the efficiency of a rotor is dependent on its swept area (more being better), but I disagree. I think rotor efficiency is more directly related to leverage; the further from the fulcrum (axle) the more leverage.

10″ rotors on Shovelheads have a broad swept area yet don’t work as well as 11½” rotors on Evos & Twin Cams with smaller calipers & pads.

Or, look at a ten-speed bike. Teeny little brake pads with a contact patch no more than ½” wide that can lock up the wheels by grabbing a thin strip of rim. Not much swept area there.

I’ve been running a 13″ front rotor on my FL Softail for about ten years and the difference of just 1½” is quite noticeable. Unfortunately the fender won’t allow for even a slightly bigger rotor because the caliper would hit it.

I’d be interested to know how much HD’s rotors weigh. I’d bet no more than stock Harley rotors.

The biggest downside of perimeter brakes that I can see is increased lateral runout. I can’t tell from HD’s site whether theirs are floating or not, but that would certainly make a difference.

Can’t say I’m wild about that “doily” pattern on the right, though.

6. 6 jatinder pal Jul 16th, 2010 at 4:03 am

I have always been a spokes wheel fan.Billet wheel are getting boring day by day.With so many options on spoke wheels today,they tend to make a beautiful bike.
    These are the perfect example of a beauty.

7. 7 martin Jul 16th, 2010 at 8:31 am

Another great job…..

8. 8 Jax Rhapsody Jul 27th, 2010 at 2:36 am

I’ve had the idea for a while now to use one of those. I want to have one for my moped. It;s never gonna be goin fast enough for any gyroscopic effects or any of that. If anything, may be beneficial, all that kinetic(heh its a Kinetic TFR) energy would probably help it up hills.

Crusher