Like An Old School Bobber On Steroids…

I have to disclose that I didn’t write this headline. These are the words of Arlen Ness when he awarded this custom bike with the “Partner Pick Of Excellence” during the 3rd round of the AMD Championship Of Bike Building at the IMS Show held recently in Seattle, Washington. So, I asked its Builder, Robbie Kerr, a native from Scotland now living and working in Canada where he opened Kootenay Motorcycle Art, what was his inspiration for such a muscled up design. He told me that “Glasgow Kiss” was inspired by his love for the 1945 Harley Flathead and that he wanted to build its modern version, amplifying its proportions for a never seen before unique look. Did you say oversized? The frame had to accept 2 x 18″ wheels, 300 mm in the rear, 280 mm in front, and rolling Thunder was called to fabricate the very special frame with beefy 1 3/4″ tubing, a 39-degree rake and a 4″ backbone stretch. To look proportionate in the front, 2 1/2″ tubes were bended to create the Springer front end.

Robbie took responsibility for all parts design but called some of the best in the business to help him complete the one-off fabrication process. Fat Katz for the gas tank and rear fender, Roger Goldammer for the oil tank and Brendon Thompson for other fabrication and machining tasks. Beefy looks required a powerful engine and Robbie chose a 120″ JIMS motor (Fueling lifters and oil pump) equipped with an $&S carburetor, but with redesigned and machined rocker boxes to clear the gas tank and frame top tube. Strong and reliable shifting is via a 5-speed Baker RSD transmission associated with an Evil Engineering 4″ open belt system with custom machined pulley covers. Blue paint (Robbie’s preferred color) is semi glossy, (or semi matte?), sprayed by Ken Sherbinin and confirming the new trend  where deep glossy shine is considered too high tech for many styles of bikes inspired by the past.

The rest of the tech sheet reads as follow. Pipes by Miami Exhaust – 80-spoke wheels dressed with Metzeler tires – Rear brake with inboard disc by HHI – Front brake by 360 Brake – Speedo by Dakota Digital – Hand and modified foot controls by HHI – Mirrors by SRT – Custom taillight, custom gas cap, taillight, etc. Kootenay Motorcycle Art. (photography courtesy & copyright Horst Roesler)

51 Responses to “Like An Old School Bobber On Steroids…”

1. 1 alan Jan 10th, 2011 at 8:32 am

very nice

2. 2 Englishman Jan 10th, 2011 at 8:34 am

Wow, look like Russell Mitchell got some bad mushrooms.

3. 3 whitebear Jan 10th, 2011 at 8:50 am

Nice, flowing lines. The cutouts in the bottom of the tank make the motor look more massive, following the overall design theme. The minimal brightwork provides nice contrast points to the matte blue and black.

I like it. It’s different, but that’s not always a bad thing!

4. 4 Jester Jan 10th, 2011 at 8:59 am

Thanks Cyril for publishing another very nice bike. A bobber with a new thist. Beautiful machined covers.

5. 5 Conrad Nicklus Jan 10th, 2011 at 9:08 am

I like it but I don’t at the same time… There is too much there to deem that a “bobber”, it is more of an unnatural bobber than anything. Maybe more along the line of Retro Bobber.

6. 6 Cobb Jan 10th, 2011 at 9:12 am

I love it…awesome work!!

7. 7 Draco Jan 10th, 2011 at 9:21 am

Looks totally wicked, I love it. Definitely motorcycle art.

8. 8 FISH Jan 10th, 2011 at 9:33 am

Very nice to look at! But I don’t see the ridability of it. I don’t think it would handle very well and the bars are extremely low. The seat seems to be to far forward and high too. Needs some apes maybe. Looks more Pro street with a bobber twist. I’m with Conrad Nicklus.
    Just different. The paint and finishing are great.

9. 9 Wikked Steel Jan 10th, 2011 at 9:34 am

Beautiful design, nice to see someone doing something DIFFERENT! Great concept and execution, domed feature carried throughout the bike, satin finish throughout the bike, great sense of aesthetics.

10. 10 Gas Man Jan 10th, 2011 at 9:50 am

I’m glad Cyril gave the foot note that he didn’t write the title. Cause it’s awefull. Bobber nothing, that is another bike really from the most recent “chopper craze”. And before somebody tells me that still isn’t a chopper, I know I know. But that was the title of most of the builders bikes from what… 2004-2009?

As nice as this bike is, and it is real real nice. I would never associate the word “bobber” in it’s title.

11. 11 zyon Jan 10th, 2011 at 9:54 am

Fish, the bars are taller than a set of Z bars or drag bars. Just because it’s outside your skill level to ride it does not mean it is unridable. I’d ride the hell out of this bike. It has everything I like. Low bar, solo seat, rigid frame, springer…This bike is giving me a “Woodrow Wilson!” Even the color is spot on!

The headlight is the only thing I would do without…other than that, i’d like to see it in my garage.

12. 12 Cheech Jan 10th, 2011 at 10:18 am

Love the metalsmithing here. I can’t get my head around that 280 front though. Russ Mitchell design comes to mind with the scotchbright work and beefy look, but as I recall Russ hates the low profile tire look. In this case Robbie has infused quite a bit of subtle detail that I’m sure took countless hours of work. As a colaborative effort I think this bike flows very well.

13. 13 1550tc Jan 10th, 2011 at 10:22 am

Russell Mitchel is going to be laughing when he sees this bike…….just add the flat black rattle can paint finish and you have an 04 Exile hardtail pro street bobber 🙂

14. 14 J Jan 10th, 2011 at 10:23 am

Wow that’s sharp- Deco Bobber to me…

15. 15 2Low Jan 10th, 2011 at 10:29 am

Sorry Mitchell, but this one is better. More custom fabrication.

16. 16 Homemade - ECV 58 Jan 10th, 2011 at 10:31 am

All I can see is WOW! when will it be deliver to my garage

17. 17 Chief Waldo Jan 10th, 2011 at 10:45 am

Good looking, but to the vast majority, rigid frame bikes are show toys or bar hoppers.

18. 18 Bigalyts@aol.com Jan 10th, 2011 at 11:00 am

I am truely amazed…………..with all the Bike Builders, Wannabe Bike Builders, Almost Bike Builders, Part time Bike Builders, Weekend Bike Builders, Factory”s that mass produce Motorcycles, how the hell can can there still be Designs that are still Finger Print Motorcycles to be found, designed and Built.

19. 19 Jeff Nicklus Jan 10th, 2011 at 11:04 am

I like it!

Over & Out,

Jeff

20. 20 Wiz Jan 10th, 2011 at 11:26 am

Everything is FAT and BULBOUS…Like me! Wiz

21. 21 Bart Langley -Cateye Customs Jan 10th, 2011 at 11:47 am

I dig it….lot of up front planning and vision to put build that….way cool!

22. 22 Bob Mckay Jan 10th, 2011 at 12:40 pm

I just had the chance to Judge this bike at the Toronto Supershow and it is an excellent bike,nicer in person than in pictures. Lots of detail and a theme, something that a lot of bikes are lacking these days. Robbie is a good guy, talented and humble, two things that go well together.

23. 23 Mark Jags Jan 10th, 2011 at 12:54 pm

I saw this bike in person at the Toronto show as well. Very nice indeed. Many of the other custom bikes there on display certainly were impressive, but the uniqueness of this design set it apart from the rest.

24. 24 ger Jan 10th, 2011 at 2:58 pm

thats nice..love the fat front wheel

25. 25 Warrior Poet Jan 10th, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Of course it’s a cool build – he’s Scottish!

26. 26 Keith Stone Jan 10th, 2011 at 5:39 pm

Thats pretty damn cool !! Dig those forks and front end…..

27. 27 Marc Frantz Jan 10th, 2011 at 5:40 pm

I too saw this bike at the Toronto Show. The fit & finish, attention to detail
    and the massive frame tubes were truly impressive. Very nice work!!

28. 28 Woody Jan 10th, 2011 at 7:26 pm

Crazy cool – part bike, part cartoon. There’s room in my garage if storage is ever a problem 😉

29. 29 Iron Horse Jan 10th, 2011 at 7:39 pm

I’ve always loved fat tires on both ends of bikes, especially those with a springer front-end. The extra heavy springer tubes really pulls this off without making it look odd because of proportion. I’m like most others on this blog…it can live in my garage anytime!

30. 30 Laurence Zankowski Jan 10th, 2011 at 7:56 pm

I would love to see a ” Cyril Huze Top Ten” 1/8th scale series of bikes. This would definitely be one of them.

Has to be made to scale with machine parts to boot!

Now where did I bury those bags of money…

Laurence

31. 31 Laurence Zankowski Jan 10th, 2011 at 8:03 pm

One more thing, the images of him riding it make this all the more real…
    Hoot Man!

Laurence

32. 32 Rick Jan 10th, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Very slick. Great attention to detail

33. 33 Sardeanie Jan 10th, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Went to his web site and saw him riding it. Holy cow, that thing is FAT! Looks fantastic but definitely taken to an extreme. His other bikes look like real riders. Good stuff!

34. 34 jesy Reno Jan 11th, 2011 at 9:18 am

Like it!

35. 35 Zipper Jan 11th, 2011 at 9:27 am

If all of this talent can be redirected too design a bike that one can ride we would really have something.

36. 36 Larry R Jan 11th, 2011 at 11:05 am

Very nice.

37. 37 colemanfu Jan 11th, 2011 at 11:42 am

Looks like a cross between a Nash and an Exile bike? DIg it! That front end is clean, clean clean and the color is cool as well.

38. 38 Cynthia Jan 11th, 2011 at 12:46 pm

I love it ! It looks perfect to me. I like the wheels, just the right size that i want. And the height, I think its perfect. The frame is fantastic. Blue is one of my favorite colors and that makes it look good to me. I really would like to try to ride it.

39. 39 nuno maroco Jan 11th, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Very impactant bike, simple and beutifull.Congrats

40. 40 Nick Jan 11th, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Beautiful
    As a piece of Art

41. 41 madpuppy Jan 11th, 2011 at 4:25 pm

I like it, adding my two cents.

42. 42 martin Twofeather Jan 11th, 2011 at 7:27 pm

That is beautiful period!

43. 43 JimC Jan 12th, 2011 at 8:10 am

There is alot to like on this bike. Alot of attention to detail and the craftsmanship is really good. hats off to all the people who were involved in the building of this bike!

44. 44 morpion Jan 12th, 2011 at 12:09 pm

i saw it at toronto,very special bike

45. 45 MR.B Jan 12th, 2011 at 10:50 pm

Just a quick comment I know Robbie well and ride with him, and let me tell you… the ride ability of the Glasgow kiss is amazing! He rides the shit out of it! If any one knows the Kootenays we have some of the best ridding roads in the world and he pounds threw the corners like nothing.. It is truly an amazing bike, great job Robbie… can’t what to start mine 🙂
    Nate

46. 46 junkyard dog Feb 4th, 2011 at 7:50 am

I can assure you that Robbie builds bikes to RIDE!! Anyone who isn’t up to riding a Hardtail (FISH) should stop ‘guessing’ if something will handle or be comfortable and get out there with the ‘Big Boys’ and just do it….talks cheap

47. 47 Mini1275gt Jun 5th, 2011 at 10:06 pm

What color blue is this exactly?

48. 48 snapbacks Dec 3rd, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Wow, amazing blog format! How lengthy have you ever been blogging for? you make running a blog glance easy. The overall look of your web site is fantastic, let alone the content material!

1. 1 Tweets that mention Like An Old School Bobber On Steroids… at Cyril Huze Blog – Custom Motorcycle News -- Topsy.com Pingback on Jan 10th, 2011 at 9:40 am
  2. 2 Glasgow Kiss by Kootenay Motorcycle Art | Dubai Bikers Pingback on Jan 19th, 2011 at 3:47 am
  3. 3 Glasgow Kiss: One Bad-Ass Bobber. Pingback on Feb 5th, 2011 at 5:17 pm