Exclusive. Billy Lane Rolling Thunder 25th Anniversary Bike In Progress.

As I reported on January 30, 2012 four builders including Billy Lane are building each a tribute bike for the 25th Anniversary of Rolling Thunder. Each builder was assigned a military theme and the 4 bikes will be unveiled on May 26 in Washington DC before touring the country for everybody to admire. Prison officials have authorized Billy Lane to work on his project, and after parts procurement, he started to build this very  cool 93″ S&S Knucklehead. Characteristic: it should be very light, only around an estimated 375 pounds, logical for an “Air Force” theme bike supposed to fly… at ground level.

73 Responses to “Exclusive. Billy Lane Rolling Thunder 25th Anniversary Bike In Progress.”

1. 1 Sickboy Mar 10th, 2012 at 7:34 pm

The first thing that came to my mind reading the article was I don’t see how he can keep the weight below 400 lbs. I’ve tried using super low weight components and that is what I see as the biggest challenge. The second thing that came to my mind as I read the comments, I remember a “BRO” finishing up his stint circa 1980 in NH State Prison, I was allowed to bring him a motor and transmission and other parts fo him to work on in the prison shop. I remember how important those visits were to him and helped him to focus on the positive and the future. Best wishes to Billy and the cause. Remember the cause!!

2. 2 LowriderLarry Mar 11th, 2012 at 4:01 am

When a man is drowning you don’t lean on his shoulders; you pull him up by the collard.
    It’s good that Billy Lane can make bikes in prison and share his knowledge with other inmates so they will have some skill for when they get out. Punishing and taking all pleasures away from detainees only makes them harder and more rebellious.
    People learn through success, not failure.
    It’s all about forgiveness

3. 3 Ritchie Mar 11th, 2012 at 11:30 am

great to see something positive come out of prison.

4. 4 Jason Hallman Mar 12th, 2012 at 6:35 am

Larry…truer words have not been spoken on this subject.

5. 5 mid-north-kustomz Mar 12th, 2012 at 8:03 am

billy or no billy, the people that bag someone whos in jail,,, doin his damest,, teachn other inmates things they never knew,, etc etc etc,, have got my vote FULLON !! its got nuthn to do with youz!! period!! and,, more importandly,, dont you all think its time to leave him alone!! think twice b4 most of you put down a whole lota shit on blogs such as these. billy woudnt have time for over half of yas ,in jail or out ! and you know what, when he gets out, i hope he has a double, a smoke, and a root,,,, coz most of yas,, are just wankers !!.. havn said that,, BAG ME !! FU,,,,,K WITS !! tony gee.

6. 6 Mazz BMHS Bike Klub Canada's Only Chopper Class Mar 12th, 2012 at 9:53 am

It’s always cool to see a bike at this stage of the build, your imagination runs wild with what “you” think it will look like, even given the military theme. I am sure the final peroduct will be amazing and not what most of us thought.
    As mentioned in eariler posts, Billy is in a Work Camp, what do you do while at a work camp?? Why, work of course and those who have expertise in certain areas can pass on their expertise on to those who have not. Ummm, not sure but I am pretty sure that’s what “rehabilitation” is all about.
    If any of you can honestly look at yourself and say there has never been a point in your life that you made a mistake that you wish you could take back but couldn’t, then you are truly a special person.. Then remember that time and realise how much you wanted people to not so much forgive but empathize and understand. He is doing what he was told to do, for the system to work, you need to person to do their time and the public to understand that time has been done.
    I am not religous but one thing I like about my younger learnings is “Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone” somehow, I feel there are not too many of you that are without sin. I know I am not without sin.

7. 7 RED-Line Custom cycle Mar 12th, 2012 at 10:10 am

Looking good Billy, I knew you would find a way to do what you so much enjoy doing. I can wait to see it done. Your a good man, Great builder and a good friend Billy keep up the great work. Looking forward to when you get out Bro.
    Cliff

8. 8 Ray Llanes Mar 12th, 2012 at 11:03 pm

@getyourheadoutifyourass! Why don’t you do as your name says. I have Been to the PRISON Billy has called home for the last 2 years to visit him. You are talking shit he has to do the same shit everyone else does. He does not get any special treatment from the guards or anyone else for that matter. The prison system here in Florida is broke. I’m sure that they brokered a deal to make some cash or have tools or whatever. Steve Broyles who is a great guy did not have to do this but he got it done. Bottom line Billy made a mistake in his life and is paying for it everyday. He’s doing more time for his crime than the average guy does here in Florida . Why can’t you just get YOUR head outta your ass you cum wad! I was there at the court house when he went away and I have been to the prison that he is serving his time. He’s taking his punishment like a man question is can YOU!!

9. 9 Ray Llanes Mar 12th, 2012 at 11:13 pm

@Trainiac
    Billy is a personal friend. I can tell you that he and has made things right with the victims family a long time ago. At the sentencing hearing they spoke on Billy’s behalf and asked that he not go to prison but instead start a charity on the victims behalf to benefit the children of people killed in DUI accidents. Just a little inside info FYI
    Billy is a stand up guy from the word go. You can’t bet your ass on that .

10. 10 Ray Llanes Mar 12th, 2012 at 11:28 pm

@Hammer,
    BTW I’m not the Other “Ray” on here you have been talking to.
    But as Billy’s Friend I thank you for setting the record straight with the facts. I think the world Of Steve Broyels he is a great guy and a true brotha and a gentleman . I have had the pleasure of dealing with you and The Horse Staff when you and Geno ran a feature on my bike when you had the Ft.Lauderdale Horse bike show. Hats off to you guys. Thanks for being a friend to Billy and sticking by him!!

11. 11 mid-north-kustomz Mar 13th, 2012 at 8:57 am

bring it on ray, dont stop there ol mate !!

12. 12 Brett Mar 15th, 2012 at 5:27 pm

Joe Cree……Joe Q Public isn’t in prison & TEACHING other inmates classes on how to weld & other skills to maybe have a chance to do something when they get out.

Joe Q Public isn’t in Prison & working on the police vehicles for the state of Florida.

& as stated…Joe Q Public didn’t make things right with the family & have the family voice in court that he SHOULD NOT do time….

Alot of people like to hate & talk crap when they are safe behind their computer, but fact is, everyone makes mistakes. Billy owned up to it, is making it right & deserves a chance to do what he does. That is the biggest flaw of our system. No one is given a chance. If people who went to prison all learned a skill & then were able to get work with a real living wage, then maybe they wouldn’t end up back in prison.

I’m sure there are a ton of great bike builders young & old we never heard of. If you have a problem with who they chose to build the bikes, please contact Rolling Thunder about it. Give them all the names of those who would have been better choices in your opinion, but quit coming here & bitch about it. Cyrill is just covering it. If you don’t like Billy & don’t like his work or products, don’t rad about it, don’t buy his products….

13. 13 Luis Mar 15th, 2012 at 11:04 pm

I wonder how much it would cost to “make it right” if someone killed a member of my family. How much is a human life worth? How much would it cost to make me testify on behalf of the killer?

14. 14 Ray Llanes Mar 16th, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Luis……. Don’t be a dumbass! Since you have no clue of what actually happened here. First of all there is such a thing as forgiveness . With that said I happen to have met the Morelock family and they are extremely nice and understanding people. They saw this for what it was ; An in intentional act that lead to the death of there loved one. Do you drink? That is a simple question. If you said yes you have been in a the same position billy put himself in except you didn’t get in a wreck and have someone subsequently die. If you said no then lucky you. How much money do you think Billy had? Enough to pay off the family? Don’t be ridiculous and talk shit you have no clue about it only shows what a mental midget you really are. Get your facts straight then perhaps you may have something intelligent to say.

15. 15 André Mar 16th, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Not the bars will take the bikes!

16. 16 Kevin Boyle Kustoms Mar 16th, 2012 at 9:08 pm

I must say that I have know Billy and Warren for years now. I had the utmost distinct pleasure of meeting and hanging with his mom last night at garland flatlands shop in daytona! I can truly say that her spirit shines through BOTH of her boys!!!!.I will be most pleased when his return to the industry is outside the bars…he will prevail and conquer ….I presume…heads up shoulders back…triumph over diversity!
    we ALL have been through some hoopla in life …its how you overcome it that is the IMPORTANT part!

17. 17 Kevin Boyle Kustoms Mar 16th, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Sorry ARLIN …typo!

18. 18 Robert Anderson Mar 18th, 2012 at 1:25 pm

I think Billy has built some cool stuff, BUT shouldn’t the garage builder get a chance to do some of the so called BIG builds .
    There you go a new TV show The “The Garage Builder” build off….. I know you’d have some new hot builders just like those other TV shows.

19. 19 DJ Mar 18th, 2012 at 1:39 pm

All this talk about giving the little guy a chance for the “Big Builds”… Everyone does not get a trophy there buddy.. If you are accomplished then you get a shot, otherwise you need to make your own destiny. Billy and the other top builders were the little guy one time. They struggled and they made it. If you want a shot a building then do like the rest of us and get out in your shop, build one better then anyone else, get it in the big show, get a 4 page spread in your favorite rag then market yourself to your target clientel. But don’t give me this crap about everyone getting a fair shake… Make your own luck.. The luck is in the tools-get on ’em

20. 20 ediMidi Apr 7th, 2012 at 12:14 pm

I dig how there are still people who search Billy’s name out on the google box just to make sure the salt is still being tossed at the wound. Do you really think he’s in prison looking for any way to build bikes? How would he have the resources to pull that off? I can just imagine what the picture looks like in the minds of these flawless people: Billy in a hotel room cell complete with roman tub, fitted sheets, adjacent office w/PC to conduct his business from the inside…. MWUHAAAAHAHAHAHA! I can tell you that he lives amongst the population in there and has no special treatment other than commissary items not afforded by some of the other inmates. You should also know that he was asked by the good people of Rolling Thunder to do this build thru the warden of that facility. I’m pretty sure that warden and the state of Florida had to sign off on this. Aren’t you so angry at Florida? Why not? Aren’t you beside yourself with Rolling Thunder for thinking of Billy for a tribute to the armed forces as he always was an avid supporter of the young men and women of this country who sacrifice themselves selflessly for the rest of us internet complainers? No? How come? That warden also assigned Billy to work in their motor pool department while they have him. He gets to do a job he knows to be more useful to the state instead of cooking meals or doing laundry all day. Man that must just burn your ass huh? You should write a letter to that crooked warden now that you have the straight dope on whats going on in there. Maybe include a suggestion to bring back stoning in that letter. Yea, I bet it doesn’t sit well with other inmates that he’s building a motorcycle to be showcased to a million people in DC, and I know he has to look over his shoulder now more than he already had to before. Don’t worry about him, he can handle himself. Here’s the deal in a sentence: The man made a name for himself in his industry, then made a mistake that he’s now paying for with fill remorse.

21. 21 ScottDer May 28th, 2012 at 2:42 pm

I had the opportunity to see the finished product displayed in D.C. and what a great build from a “tested” Engineer and builder (Billy Lane). My daughter was with Billy’s Mom and sister this past weekend. What should be noted here is another little-discussed consideration and that is the Air Force bike was build using no expensive automated CNC, hammer mills, or elaborate diagnostics; rather the hands of a gifted craftsman and innovative builder. Not taking away from the other great bikes in the Rolling Thunder display in D.C. (Coast Guard, Army, Navy…) but Billy built the Air Force bike with very limited resources at his disposal (BTW Hammer; get ahold of me if I can help with tools or materials…read the second sentence to Billy and he will get it). Now if we line up all the other bike builders under these same conditions, what would they come up with (if they even could)? If this doesn’t reflect the determination and character of a man; then you just ain’t got a clue. Prison is a little about reform, but alot about reflection…some get it; some don’t and if I’ve read Billy’s character correctly, he will be even better than before.

22. 22 john pickering Jun 10th, 2012 at 12:23 am

what better way to rehabilitate than get them into positive work.good on you prision officals.cant wait to view the new bike.

23. 23 Jeff Jun 29th, 2012 at 12:40 am

Hope I get to do what I love when I get to prison.

x