Motorcycle Hand Signals. Do You Know Them All?

hand-gestures1 hand-gestures2hand-gestures3hand-gestures4

Infographic provided by Michael Padway & Associates

hand-gestures5hand-gestures6

23 Responses to “Motorcycle Hand Signals. Do You Know Them All?”

1. 1 MC Moose Jan 29th, 2014 at 9:38 am

You forgot the most important signal of all. With left hand extended outward, close hand in fist while extending middle finger.

2. 2 Rodent Jan 29th, 2014 at 10:31 am

MC Moose
    You took the words outta my mouth!!!

3. 3 cafesportytc Jan 29th, 2014 at 11:00 am

missing two fingers at eyes then point forward meaning: “eyes on the road and stop texting moron”

4. 4 JohnJ Texas Jan 29th, 2014 at 12:54 pm

over a drink at the bar… I enjoy inventing made up combinations of signals to confuse newbies.
    like a 3rd base coach…

5. 5 James just another crazy Kiwi Jan 29th, 2014 at 1:31 pm

I have followed Americans riding on rental Motorcycles and I always wondered what they were doing.
    I just thought they were over excited and needed some ‘mothers little helpers’ (Valium)

I learnt something today

6. 6 J.H. Jan 29th, 2014 at 3:08 pm

Been riding for 40+ years, I’ve never seen some of these hand signals. Group rides are getting more militarized, I guess these new hand signals will fit right in.. I know they are for safety reasons, but when you are grabbing a double hand- full of brakes, clutch, jockey shift etc. I’ts hard to do them..In the days when removing the turn-signals on a chopper was cool, I remember a dude who had a real tall set of Apes, we always thought he was turning right.

7. 7 nicker Jan 29th, 2014 at 9:39 pm

I guess i must-a slept through that “lesson.”
    Middle finger is the only one i know.

Who invented this stuff…… ???
    Is-ziss some sort-a “we’re all in it together” secret handshake…. ???

-nicker-

8. 8 badams Jan 29th, 2014 at 9:50 pm

In Socal these work. A pack of shitboxes flying down the 405 all running a 2 inch diameter powered by a 6 volt, hand signals are the difference between glory or tears. it should be noted the “over the shoulder” signal is probably the most effective. Simply put a roll of nickles in the shirt pocket, grab a handful and huck over your shoulder. Amazing how traffic patterns change as a result.

9. 9 Sportster Mike Jan 30th, 2014 at 5:42 am

One sign missing…
    The 2 fingered salute.. forwards facing of course, I’m not Winston Churchill!

greetings from jolly old England

10. 10 Mike Tomas, Kiwi Indian Jan 30th, 2014 at 9:38 am

My only rides are vintage Indians which do not have turn signals. I’ve found other drivers respect hand signals and give me a wide birth.

11. 11 Shanedrive Jan 30th, 2014 at 9:40 am

badams–
    Ball bearings work nicely too 😉

12. 12 Terence Tory Jan 30th, 2014 at 9:47 am

When I see HOG riders do the -Y -M -C -A! signal,I give them the two fingered one and turn off the freeway to go for a RIDE.

13. 13 RUB Jan 30th, 2014 at 10:43 am

once you go south of West Palm Beach , turn signials are for the weak …………………

14. 14 bigitch Jan 30th, 2014 at 12:17 pm

they left out the ‘wave’ signal

15. 15 KSW Jan 30th, 2014 at 2:40 pm

Isn’t the hand signal for staggered formation three fingers up in the same manner as single and side by side. In groups there is a reason I like going last.

Nicker, this stuff has been around for many moons. When I rode with a club back in the early ’80s in Baltimore these where all used but mostly formation instructions.

16. 16 nicker Jan 30th, 2014 at 11:02 pm

RE:
    “…been around for many moons…”

So have anti lock brakes.
    Not to mention the DOT mandate for left side shifting and right side foot brake.
    IMHO
    More useless prattle by the officious.

If ya ride “with a club” you should listen to the Road Captain.
    If this is their drill, i’d suggest letting em go on their merry way without ya.

-nicker-.

17. 17 Jusmecuz Jan 31st, 2014 at 1:43 am

That’s funny stuff, especially that Hazard in roadway. Who the hell does that? lol

18. 18 Jusmecuz Jan 31st, 2014 at 1:47 am

Comfort stop….. lol

19. 19 Sportster Mike Jan 31st, 2014 at 5:39 am

Not forgetting the French ‘thank you’ – it’s shaking your left leg!! as they go past

20. 20 domino Jan 31st, 2014 at 11:40 pm

Tapping the top of your head= look out ,cop …

21. 21 Blackmax Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:01 pm

We’ve printed theses out every year in our Spring edition just so people will know.
    We do a lot of charity “runs” around this part pf the country
    And believe it or not people DO use these & we try to get others to use them as well
    there is NEVER too much effort to make any ride safe

22. 22 Wilhelm Feb 2nd, 2014 at 7:29 am

Apart from the last one, finger pointing to tank (pretty obvious that one) not in use in this country (Germany). #1 (left turn) and right turn (use right hand as in #1) been sort of obsolete since the advent of turn signals in the seventies 🙂

23. 23 BigAlyts Feb 3rd, 2014 at 11:56 am

Where’s the second most important signal? Let’s Eat!