Harley-Davidson Is Introducing A New King Of The Road. The Road King® Special.

The Road King® Special is the transformation that no one saw coming. The first-ever blacked-out Milwaukee-Eight® 107 V-Twin engine for an all-new style and attitude Road King.

“The Road King Special pounds down the boulevard like a gleaming locomotive rolling through a train yard at midnight,” said Brad Richards, Harley-Davidson Vice-President of Styling and Design. “The Road King has always reflected the purity of the Harley-Davidson FL riding experience. By exchanging chrome surfaces for black and lowering the bike’s profile, we’ve moved the traditional Road King into a new space that’s very current in the custom bagger scene.”

A dark front end topped by a massive gloss-black headlamp nacelle is the signature styling element of the Road King Special. A new 9-inch-tall, 1.25-inch-diameter mini-ape handlebar puts the rider in an aggressive posture on the bike that’s also comfortable for long runs on the open road.

“Chrome was retained only on some key engine components,” said Harley-Davidson Designer- Stylist Dais Nagao. “The lower rocker boxes, pushrod tubes and tappet blocks are finished with chrome to emphasize the V-Twin shape of the Milwaukee-Eight 107 engine. We added a new engine-turned air cleaner insert, a finish that’s also featured on the tank console.”

The Road King Special’s engine guard, handlebar and hand controls, mirrors, turn signals, engine covers, air cleaner cover, mufflers and exhaust shields also feature black surfaces. New gloss black turbine cast-aluminum wheels include a 19-inch front wheel topped by a low-profile fender. At the rear, stretched saddlebags flow over the mufflers to provide a slammed-to-the-ground appearance without reducing suspension travel. A rear fascia panel fills the space between the saddlebags and rear fender, and a low-mount license plate module completes the tight, low lines of the rear end.

Comfort, control and performance are enhanced by the all-new front and rear suspension components featured on all 2017 Harley-Davidson Touring model motorcycles. New hand-adjustable emulsion-technology rear shock absorbers offer 15 percent more pre-load adjustment than previous low-profile touring shocks. The front suspension features new double-bending valve suspension technology that delivers the damping performance of a racing-style cartridge fork with linear damping characteristics and reduced weight. Reflex linked brakes with ABS and the Harley-Davidson Smart Security System are standard equipment on the Road King Special.

Each Milwaukee-Eight engine produces 10 percent more torque than the engine it replaces in touring models. In addition to increased displacement, the Milwaukee-Eight engine features a higher compression ratio and four-valve cylinder heads with 50 percent more intake and exhaust flow capacity. The Milwaukee-Eight 107 accelerates 11 percent quicker from 0-60 mph, equal to a two-to-three bike length improvement, and 11 percent quicker from 60-80 mph in top gear, equal to a one-to-two bike length improvement, compared to the Twin Cam High Output 103. The Milwaukee-Eight engine offers improved rider and passenger thermal comfort due to reduced heat absorption, increased heat rejection and a redesigned exhaust system.

The Road King Special model is offered in four color options: Vivid Black, Charcoal Denim, Hot Rod Red Flake Hard Candy Custom™, and Olive Gold.

DIMENSIONS
Tires Front
130/60B19 61H
Tires Rear
180/55B18 80H
COLOR OPTIONS
Vivid Black, Charcoal Denim, Olive Gold, Hard Candy Custom™ Hot Rod Red Flake

56 Responses to “Harley-Davidson Is Introducing A New King Of The Road. The Road King® Special.”

1. 1 RKBrent Feb 9th, 2017 at 9:09 am

This is the Road King HD should have come out with years ago! Also, every Touring bike should have the Street Glide rear fender.

2. 2 Patrick Feb 9th, 2017 at 9:14 am

Bravo H-D

3. 3 Matt W. Feb 9th, 2017 at 9:22 am

1 down, 49 more to go 😉

4. 4 Roberto Feb 9th, 2017 at 9:51 am

Higher bars,Led headlight would be nice,as would a spoke wheel option and another red….

5. 5 coma Feb 9th, 2017 at 9:53 am

I wish they could find someone to make them a front fender that’s not two sizes too large.

6. 6 Chris Feb 9th, 2017 at 9:55 am

I like the black nacelle. The standard chrome unit would reflect so much sunlight it could make riding a Road King with a high-angled sun a less than pleasant experience.

That is a good looking Road King. Well done.

7. 7 kent Feb 9th, 2017 at 10:00 am

Turd ugly! I’m sorry but I didn’t drink the kool aid!

8. 8 Kenny Price Feb 9th, 2017 at 10:03 am

Do they have another color besides that olive drab green?

9. 9 Patrick Feb 9th, 2017 at 10:07 am

Kenny Price. Yes, it’s at the end of the article in specs. Vivid Black, Charcoal Denim, Olive Gold, Hard Candy Custom™ Hot Rod Red Flake

10. 10 Teddy Wrinkler Feb 9th, 2017 at 10:08 am

Like it. Will sell very well. And you Indian, what is your reply?

11. 11 Joe Cutshall Feb 9th, 2017 at 10:09 am

Nice !
    The new Turbine wheels look great on the Road King and these black ones really look sharp . I have designed new ABS wheel spacers that hides the rotor bolts and ABS sensors just for the Turbine wheels and they are killer looking in chrome – I cant wait to do a black set . WILLY SHINY will have them by next week .

12. 12 Hardley G. Buyone Feb 9th, 2017 at 10:22 am

That thar’s Pea Shooter Green Mr Price . An integral color to H-D’s heritage . And yes if you’d of read the article it comes in other colors as well

As for the bike ? Two thumbs up . Though in light of H-D’s arschkussen with ‘ the so called president ‘ I’ll be buying a K1600B . Sorry Motor Company , but ya reaps what ya sows . And ye aint a gonna reaping any o’ my hard earned .

13. 13 Wiliturk Feb 9th, 2017 at 10:24 am

Does it still come with a windshield?

14. 14 Coffeebeans Feb 9th, 2017 at 10:25 am

Teddy Wrinkler-

I think their reply is the Chieftain Dark Horse…um…except they replied about last August….

15. 15 Coffeebeans Feb 9th, 2017 at 10:30 am

Actually, Teddy, the more I think about it, they’ll probably reply with a blacked out Springfield.
    That would be basically the Chieftain Dark Horse, without the fairing. Still…

16. 16 vrodder Feb 9th, 2017 at 10:34 am

Yawn… blacked out King with no windshield. This is a no charge ordering option at best, not deserving of a stand alone model. Also starting at $22k?? Really?? How many years did the RK custom last before it was axed? While it looks cool, I just don’t get this at all. Looks like a money grab by the MoCo. No thanks…

17. 17 vrodder Feb 9th, 2017 at 10:38 am

At least when Indian blacks out their bikes, they are less and the chrome models. This one is $2k more. What does that say about what HD thinks of their customers… To quote PT Barnum “There’s a sucker born every minute.”

18. 18 RBinTEX Feb 9th, 2017 at 10:51 am

Kenny Price
    Feb 9th, 2017 at 10:03 am

Do they have another color besides that olive drab green?

I guess you didn’t read the article….
    comes in Vivid Black, Charcoal Denim, Hot Rod Red Flake Hard Candy Custom™, and Olive Gold.

19. 19 5toedwillie Feb 9th, 2017 at 11:11 am

Bike is fine ,price is too high, Trump won and HD likes winners, and many of the losers out there have never been on a scooter in their entire life, but love to pose on blog sites. How about you losers quit whining and actually get on a scoot and ride across the US and meet the real people that make America great.

20. 20 JackS Feb 9th, 2017 at 11:22 am

Nice look. But to me, the $3K increase in List Price just doesn’t justify the true manufacturing cost difference of what is being offered. The incremental cost of larger wheels, extended bags, rear inserts, less chrome, a different tail light configuration, and lowered suspension minus the cost savings of no passenger floorboards, fog lamps or a removable windshield simply do not add up.

Don’t get me wrong–I am a die-hard HD fan and I like what the factory did for the most part. However, I am so tired of being charged for stuff out of the parts catalog on a new factory-configured bike.

One last gripe: When oh when is HD going to make the Daymaker LED headlight standard?

21. 21 Sharkey Feb 9th, 2017 at 11:25 am

Beautiful looking ride; hard to do too much without screwing up the traditional Harley lines obviously loved by many owners. Lots of cheaper “faux” Harleys out there for those who don’t like HD’s pricing

22. 22 Lonny Spiva Feb 9th, 2017 at 11:28 am

in 2004 they came out with the Road King Custom that was a Great Custom bike that the Road Glide took parts from. I’m liking this one Too.

23. 23 rebel Feb 9th, 2017 at 12:00 pm

They have always had an odd sense of contrast, I bet everyone ends up getting lower rocker and tappet covers, pushrod tubes switched to black.

24. 24 Keith Feb 9th, 2017 at 12:10 pm

Indian has already announced 3 new versions of their bikes coming out end of this month.
    Can’t wait!

25. 25 SIGFREED Feb 9th, 2017 at 12:35 pm

Hey coma, get out of it and fit a bigger front wheel, is that not what everybody wants?

26. 26 Dana Feb 9th, 2017 at 1:42 pm

This is really nice. I like the slightly sleeker bags that wrap over the pipes a bit. I also like the linked ABS brakes. Definitely going in the right direction.

27. 27 seymour Feb 9th, 2017 at 1:57 pm

What # new model will be the Vrod bagger

28. 28 marcus Feb 9th, 2017 at 2:39 pm

As for the premium, this bike includes standard ABS $800, Security $400 and CVO bags $1,600+/- plus a bigger wheel. Not unreasonable, but if they also included a 114″ engine it would sell well.

29. 29 ozzie21 Feb 9th, 2017 at 3:29 pm

V-Rod Bagger…now you’re talking. More displacement, more torque and 6 speed. Super reliable. Let’s get into the 21st century (before it’s over) on technology…

30. 30 Russ Feb 9th, 2017 at 4:02 pm

Blacked out 2014 CVO RK?

31. 31 tyler Feb 9th, 2017 at 5:33 pm

I did a complete black out on my 2016 street glide in olive gold, this bike is beautiful, for those that don’t like the look of this road king all I can say is you have to see it in person before commenting on a picture. Harly is finally realizing that a custom from the factory is a very smart move, yes there are the hard core Harley guys that like a stock bike, but in order to pull in a new segment of the market this is th e way to go.

32. 32 Matt W. Feb 9th, 2017 at 6:33 pm

$22,000? Remember back in the day (I believe it was yesterday) when black paint was CHEAPER than chrome? 😉

33. 33 Ridge Feb 9th, 2017 at 6:41 pm

I absolutely love it – as long as it looks as clean and finished in person. Tried to buy a new Harley bagger earlier this year and walked away disappointed with the fit and finish quality. Paint is always top notch if not a little mismatched but the exposed wiring, poor quality seats, and high prices sent me out the door ( on the touring models). I consider myself a Harley guy too but I added a BMW K1600GT to my bike stable and am amazed by it – 20x the performance. I can’t wait to see that Road Glide though, I hope they can bring out some other quality stuff in the new bike collections.

34. 34 seymour Feb 9th, 2017 at 7:48 pm

I would like to point out that the K1600 seems to be getting a lot of comments here on Cyril’s blog lately. Like an unusual amount. Almost like someone is advertising?

35. 35 18Bravo Feb 9th, 2017 at 7:50 pm

What’s wrong with olive drab? It’s even easier now to just throw a white star on each side, epoxy a coin or two to it, and call it a “military tribute bike.”

36. 36 Dr, Rock Feb 9th, 2017 at 8:06 pm

Any word on MSRP? How about model specific OE genuine accessories? Many upgrades opps. in the past I see as OEM on this but would like to see the total package if any exist yet. It’s far enough removed in the styling to do some cool products the carry the theme through.

37. 37 MARK SIFFER Feb 10th, 2017 at 12:47 am

VOMIT…. I WANT CHROME!

38. 38 burnout Feb 10th, 2017 at 2:20 am

What Matt W said. peace

39. 39 Jimbo Feb 10th, 2017 at 8:18 am

A lot more $$$ than my ’99 RK and my paint was better. When you do the usual upgrades it becomes an almost 30 thousand dollar scoot. Say goodbye to the millenials in the market for a Harley.

40. 40 b'cool products Feb 10th, 2017 at 8:19 am

….will probably look much better with stretched bags, side covers and tank along with a cut and weld neck and big wheel up front. but that is just my opinion.

41. 41 Matt W. Feb 10th, 2017 at 9:06 am

seymour: Your check is in the mail 😉

42. 42 coma Feb 10th, 2017 at 9:51 am

@SIGFREED: ahem, no.

43. 43 coma Feb 10th, 2017 at 9:54 am

@5toedwillie: who cares what Trump likes. He’ll be impeached before the end of his first term.

44. 44 richard BETCHKAL Feb 10th, 2017 at 10:34 am

Typical Harley, all cosmetic, SOS… More money, less bike….

45. 45 SYF Feb 10th, 2017 at 10:57 am

Does this bike come with a detachable windshield? I looked on the H-D site and can’t tell if it does or not. If not, it should

46. 46 Jerrman Feb 10th, 2017 at 11:55 am

Liking the bike (which I do) and buying it (which I’d never do) are two different things. $22k plus whatever in any accessories, taxes, prep, etc. HD must be kidding or living in a dream world if this is the direction they think is going to help turn around the Company. Just more of the same ‘ol, same ‘ol with a nicer presentation. Maybe HD’s new friend, the so-called President can ride off in the sunset with it as one of the few left who’ll be able to afford it. Not many others, though.

47. 47 tundra Feb 10th, 2017 at 12:26 pm

Seymour, I’ve heard the Vrod will meet it’s demise in ’18, but the drivetrain will live on. So, that Vrod bagger may be in the making…who knows.

48. 48 spaz Feb 10th, 2017 at 1:05 pm

Although I personally like the RK over the fairing tourers, I’m in the minority. Todays bagger riders want fairings and stereos. That’s why the RK doesn’t sell as well, and why this one probably won’t either. Having said that, this is far from anything new. get rid of the chrome and it’s a new bike? Hardly. Funny thing is, it hides how under-dressed the chrome bikes are. Here’s a Harley that you don’t still need to add a chrome front end, chrome switch housings, chrome brake and clutch levers, chrome master cylinder and brake cylinder, etc etc etc. So there’s that…

49. 49 1550tc Feb 10th, 2017 at 2:13 pm

Kenny i here yah and why they dont just do like the cars guys and let you factory order these new colors is ??? to me

seeing this is the rage right now along with hydro dipping why not just give you a few choices from any of the great duracoat-firearm-finishes

50. 50 highrpm Feb 10th, 2017 at 7:03 pm

@jerman,
    my sentiments, too. the bike caught my eye. those iconic lines.but the price? makes it motorcycle art for me. (as is david ulh’s works. not relevant to someone on ss income and living in a $300/monthly co-op apt.) perhaps h-d execs can lead the way for wall-street capitalism with a return to sane compensations. the proletariat factory line workers should get the same stock compensation as the elites with titles. how would h-d demonstrating true compensation egalitarianism impact the brand? America’s bike. for America’s workers.

51. 51 evo80 Feb 10th, 2017 at 8:21 pm

My 97 RK is beat up and still looks better than that.Its Mystic Green and Vivid Black.

52. 52 Highrider Feb 11th, 2017 at 12:01 am

Nice Job!

53. 53 burnout Feb 11th, 2017 at 12:39 pm

SYF most likely the bike will not come with a w/s. One WILL be available for purchase. Does anyone else wonder what this Road King has to do with which ego-maniac is sitting in the big chair in DC? peace

54. 54 Pat h Feb 12th, 2017 at 1:04 am

Nice bike as far as price yah I’d like to pay less but I worked 30 yrs in blue collar jobs that’s a American bike for a American job I don’t like the bars or the new bubble top bags they started using a couple years ago nicest looking bike out of milwaukee in a while way better than the Polaris abomination that’s left now

55. 55 scott k Feb 12th, 2017 at 1:11 am

Just think of all the chrome accessories HD will be able to sell once they are tired of all the black!

56. 56 takehikes Feb 16th, 2017 at 4:41 pm

They said they were going to introduce 50 new models over 5 years. Who the hell can keep track now. Don’t know and don’t care.