Project Scout For A Millennial

When I saw this Project Scout for the first time, my first thought was for Millennials or Generation Y. If the issue of bringing more of them to the sport of motorcycling is not yet resolved by mc marketers, at least we know for sure that they love authentic adventures and new experiences. This custom bike, a 1983 Yamaha XV750, is all about emphasizing practical outdoor activities from camping to aquatics to hiking and backpacking. Exactly the type of scouting adventures they are looking for to achieve memorable experiences.

As a matter of fact this build was inspired to young custom shop Industrial Moto in Virginia by the rugged off-road look of the old International Scout 4×4 once owned by the shop owners family. Of course, it features a lot of custom parts but in which are embedded electronics programmed and controlled by a smartphone. Let’s no forget that Millennials have embraced technology like no other generation, are technologically extremely savvy and deserve their nickname of “Digital Natives”

At Industrial Moto, Tyler will explain to you that the Yamaha Virago has experienced a bit of a renaissance in the custom bike scene. The reasons? An appealing v-twin engine, a mono shock rear suspension, many easy to perform customizing options and a very affordable price for most. As always on this type of project on an old factory bike, engine has been fully rebuilt then powder coated. The subframe and seat are one-of-a-kind hand fabricated at the shop.

The suspension has been modernized with a fully adjustable GSX-R rear shock and rebuilt front forks. Handlebar, foot controls, pegs and exhaust system are one-off. For a brawny appearance, the pair of 5-spoke wheels were wrapped brawny with knobby tires. The unusual finished color scheme includes Bead Blasted Bronze, Solar Flare, Rust, and Satin Black paint. Industrial Moto.

22 Responses to “Project Scout For A Millennial”

1. 1 Boomer Jan 1st, 2018 at 10:29 am

Someone did a lot with a little on this bike. Kudos. I wonder if those handlebars are the best choice for off road trail riding though…

2. 2 HD Rider Jan 1st, 2018 at 10:45 am

Is that brown paint or rust — kind of hard to tell. I hope the millennials and that “thing” are happy together.

3. 3 Chief Waldo Jan 1st, 2018 at 11:32 am

I had my 1981 Virago 750 for 23 years. (Brand new, out the door price: $3,000.) The customs I’ve been seeing the last few years are making me regret selling it!

4. 4 Jack Lo Cicero Jan 1st, 2018 at 12:23 pm

So much detail. Really hit the nail on the head with this build.
    Not an expert on virago, so I’ve got to ask… That the stock frame?

5. 5 Greeko Jan 1st, 2018 at 12:29 pm

It’s a superb build. Millennials interested, for sure.

6. 6 Kurt Jan 1st, 2018 at 12:31 pm

This or an electric bike with good design, it’s what Millennials want. They are not necessarily hipsters!

7. 7 Boots Jan 1st, 2018 at 12:59 pm

Most millennials would probably prefer a larger seat so they can have room for their mom or dad !

8. 8 Ryan Jan 1st, 2018 at 1:17 pm

As a whole, we need to get past this ‘get off my lawn’ mentality that is aimed toward younger riders. Sad!

9. 9 J. Miller Jan 1st, 2018 at 2:02 pm

More work than it looks at first glance. Pretty good.

10. 10 Bobby Jan 1st, 2018 at 7:21 pm

Nice looking bobber, bet it performs well too.

11. 11 BobS Jan 1st, 2018 at 8:12 pm

I dig it. My personal preference would be less effort into faking up the old, ie the brownish rusty-like finishes, but as a rider I think this is what a lot of buyers are looking for, smaller, lighter, cheaper, capable. Don’t make is less comfortable with poorer handling, make it better at both.

12. 12 RUB Jan 1st, 2018 at 11:58 pm

looks like its ready for season 25 of the walking dead .

13. 13 Calif Phil Jan 2nd, 2018 at 8:52 am

My first glance, I thought it was ugly, by the time I finished looking at all the craftsmanship and custom touches it started to grow on me. I think it’s a well executed design and hit the mark. Great job guys.

14. 14 Tom Jan 2nd, 2018 at 9:51 am

Good one Rub

15. 15 tundra Jan 2nd, 2018 at 1:31 pm

If something like this gets more young uns onto two wheels, more power to them. Builds like this can serve as an inspiration to the younger folk to turn a wrench.

This 53-year-old Harley rider is resurrecting his ’74 Z1 900. It’s not a restoration. I don’t have time for that. But it will be mostly old, some new stuff. It’s not going to fit any one genre (café, scrambler, etc.), but will be my own one-off. Something I can beat on and fix. Have a buddy – another HD guy – that is doing the same with a ratty ’79 XS750. Hopefully, they will be finished so we can ride down to the Mama Tried show in Milwaukee in Feb….weather permitting.

16. 16 Kroeter Jan 2nd, 2018 at 3:28 pm

Nice work.

17. 17 Guzzigreg Jan 2nd, 2018 at 3:48 pm

Not a fan of the looks,but I’m glad the mille’s are getting into motor cycling!!

18. 18 Blind Man Jan 2nd, 2018 at 5:56 pm

Agree with Boomer on the bars. Those “clip-ons” will kill you off road, but that being stated, that bike looks like a blast to ride. We need these designers to keep thinking outside the box! Good Stuff!

19. 19 Woody's Jan 2nd, 2018 at 6:24 pm

A stock Virago has been almost universally accepted as one of the ugliest street bikes ever made, so the work was cut out for them on this build. Black and brown simply don’t go together, would love to see this bike again after paint. Such a shame all that great work doesn’t get a nicer paint scheme, especially while it was apart during the build.

20. 20 Rob S Jan 3rd, 2018 at 6:13 am

Love the way the brown works with the black; somebody was really thinking when the colors were chosen. The absence of chrome really advances the look, too.
    I like the presence the bike has, but the lack of a rear fender of some sort would be a deal-killer for me–make sure you don’t slide off the rear of the seat.

21. 21 Matt. W Jan 3rd, 2018 at 7:07 am

Really like the bronze color scheme for this bike. Stands out without being flashy. The right approach to attract a younger market.

22. 22 John Jan 3rd, 2018 at 11:56 am

While i appreciate the craftsmanship and im sure countless hrs that went into this bike My wonder is from a financial standpoint can money be made.. I see a lot of hrs in this bike and billing at a shop rate in the area of $75an hr I would guess we are looking at a bike well north of 10K. and it is still an 80’s virago just not sure there is a real market with any profit in it