Harley Nostalgia In Daytona

The Berlin Wall, this iconic symbol of the cold war, was built in 1961 and dismantled in 1989. The infamous wall separated Germany and its families and became a propaganda disaster for East Germany and the communist bloc. On a less tragic note many East Germany Harleys “disappeared” from the motorcycle world. So, when I met in Daytona Wolfgang Knitterscheidt and asked him anout his beautiful 1929 DL sidecar Harley restoration I was only half surprised when he told me he uncovered it in ex East Germany. Wolfgang got it for a bargain but spent almost 3 years of his life making it 99% original (he is working on the remaining 1%). FYI, it was called a 3-cylinder because the generator was sticking up like a cylinder, has 20 HP with a 3-gear transmission. The original price was $230 and the actual value is a minimum of $55,000. I saw the bike being ridden hard with a passenger in the sidecar and this vision made me think again of the reason why most of us became custom builders: a brand called Harley-Davidson.


1 Response to “Harley Nostalgia In Daytona”

  1. 1 Greg Schonberg Mar 8th, 2007 at 11:18 pm

    Cool vintage ride for two.

Comments are currently closed.



Facebook Google+ Twitter