Banning cellular phones on motorcycles

Imagine riding your bike with one hand (usually the right one) and holding a cell phone with your other hand while talking to your girlfriend who just called to say that she is back to her mother. Yep, it’s what I saw the other day in my hometown of Boca Raton, FL.  The guy was riding a chopper while having a conversation on his cellular phone, trying to control the bike as much as he could. What about riding while sending or reading text messages? I heard that some do this and these idiots even brag about it! Do we need each state to pass laws prohibiting the use of cellular phones on motorcycles? No. Motorcyclists should be able to discipline themselves. I always turn off my phone while riding, and when driving, if I know that the conversation can be long, complex, requires all my attention (technical questions, interviews, etc) or if I need to take notes, I don’t hesitate to stop in a safe place. Please, do not take chances and prevent our law makers of passing a law banning cellular phones on motorcycles. They should not have to.

8 Responses to “Banning cellular phones on motorcycles”

1. 1 Scott Apr 30th, 2007 at 4:40 pm

a ban on stupidity would solve most of our world’s problems.

2. 2 Fatboy02 Apr 30th, 2007 at 9:27 pm

I would like to know how someone can hear while operating a bike???? Yes, hopefully people will use their brain so another law doesn’t have to be passed. I saw a woman putting on her face while driving a cage. People need to be responsible. No need to wonder why our car/bike/home/boat etc. insurance is so high?????????

3. 3 rc Apr 30th, 2007 at 9:53 pm

Not being a fan of legislation, rules or laws I had to wrestle with this issue for a long time before finally having to bow to the evidence and have now found myself to be one of the strongest advocates for a total cell phone ban while operating a motor vehicle. “Motorcyclists should be able to discipline themselves”. Yes they should, unfortunately many don’t. While on a run to escort the Vietnam wall into town I was behind a dude trying to talk on his cellphone. In the middle of a run!!! I do believe (or would like to hope) that
    most motorcyclists have more sense than this. It’s the cage drivers that I am most concerned with. They just do not get it and the lives they are taking out
    (mostly motorcyclists) can no longer be ignored. Not to mention the face painting, babysitting, paper reading, texting and every other imaginable activity you can think of other than paying attention to the road. A driver license is not a right and does not convey with it any other right than to drive in such a manner as to not make me a target. Ride on……rc

4. 4 Nicker Apr 30th, 2007 at 11:53 pm

Say what?
    “….riding behind a dude trying to talk on his cellphone. In the middle of a run…”

So exactly what rules did the Rod Captain on this run put down???

I don’t know about you, but worrying about getting my ass kicked within an inch of my life for causing an alterication usually kept me too buisy to think about much else.

Running my mouth on a phone would-a-been the last thing on my mind.

5. 5 goldiron May 1st, 2007 at 9:21 am

It is now that we must include all riders to strengthen motorcycle rider’s rights. We are not doing a very good job of policing “our own”. We are being dictated to by government when we do not accomplish this. It may not be politically correct to stand up to people that endanger others with the operation of any motor vehicle. The imagery mongers have most certainly diluted the mix with wannabe bikers that have brought dangerous habits with them. Motorcyclists are being killed daily by distracted drivers. These behaviors need to be edited out of the realm of driving or operating a motorcycle or any other vehicle. Cell phone operation while operating any vehicle is dangerous. Don’t tolerate it from anybody.

6. 6 Knuck May 1st, 2007 at 7:49 pm

I live in a state that has helmet laws. Just think what went through my mind when I saw some leadhead with a helmet on with a phone to his helmet. I just had a brother Sunday in an accident, the girl turned in front of him, and gee she was on the phone. 3 steel pins in the leg. 3 months out of work. And a $27,000 bike is wrecked. But he will be OK.

7. 7 Mike May 3rd, 2007 at 2:57 am

With the advent of Bluetooth is seems pretty stupid to have a handset anyway. That doesn’t negate the fact that using a phone of any kind while trying to operate a motor vehicle is both dangerous and an everyday occurrence. We don’t need any more laws but we do need to do something. Education is a start, but kids watch their parents do it and we reap what we sow. I have started carrying a Freon boat horn, a small device used on boats in distress, and when I almost get run off the road by a gabber I give then a dose. In Texas it is against the law to use a signaling device unless it’s an emergence but I would love to pull up beside a gabber and use the toot to make them aware of their hazardous habits. Maybe a law that allows us to drag them out of their cages and kick their ass would be more appropriate. Ha just a joke, defending one life is in itself, a felony in some places.

The newest treat for the new millennium is the DVD player showing a new release for the kids enjoyment while at the same time adding another mind cluttering event to be taking place while watching a indash navigator that instructs visually the way to the gym talking on the cell and looking in the rear view to ensure their hair is just right. Hummm aren’t we an advanced population.

8. 8 dragon May 3rd, 2007 at 5:56 pm