Breaking News. Global Motorsports Group Is Shopping For A Buyer.

Today I received a call I really didn’t expect. A representative of Lincoln International Advisors, an investment bank based in Chicago contacted me to know if I was interested in buying Global Motorsports Inc.(GMG). For more than 30 years the Company has provided enthusiasts with aftermarket parts to enhance the performance and appeal of their motorcycles. GMG distributes approximately 45,000 products to more than 12,000 dealers in North America, Europe and Asia. GMG’s organization includes Custom Chrome, Inc. (CCI), an aftermarket distributor of Harley Davidson motorcycle parts and accessories headquartered in Morgan Hill, CA; Custom Chrome Europe, Inc. (CCE), a distribution company located in Germany that specializes in aftermarket accessories for Harley Davidson motorcycles and other cruiser motorcycle, Jammer Cycle Products (JAMMER)  a distributor of accessories and aftermarket parts for “old school” motorcycles; and Motorcycle Stuff Inc. (MSI), a distributor of motorcycle parts and accessories for Metric motorcycles including BMW, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha and other leading brands. In addition, the Company offers leading proprietary brands such as RevTech®, Motor Factory™ and Santee® which enjoy strong brand equity. Ballpark price to buy the company? Something in the range of 20 to 30 million US dollars? Of course, not in my league. But I could try to negotiate. Huh! Anyway, I was flattered to be called.

23 Responses to “Breaking News. Global Motorsports Group Is Shopping For A Buyer.”

1. 1 Slider Nov 1st, 2007 at 7:45 pm

It had to happen.

2. 2 Dealer Man Nov 1st, 2007 at 7:49 pm

Drag Specialities should buy GMG and they would be almost in a position of monopoly to sell parts to dealers!

3. 3 Nicker Nov 1st, 2007 at 8:07 pm

So, what’s their Book-to-Bill ratio….?

That should be an interesting metric on the “global scooter market”

-nicker-

4. 4 Wild Man Nov 1st, 2007 at 9:37 pm

Did you ask if anyone could JUST buy Jammer? That’d be the deal right now man, the rest is just to full of question….

Still I hope it works out, what would this thing be without their influences?

5. 5 Nicker Nov 1st, 2007 at 10:10 pm

RE:
    “…what would this thing be without their influences…”

Well… Go back to the Easy Rider posts.
    It would probably be what it used to be.
    Regular people making the sort of stuff they now buy.

-nicker-

6. 6 Chris Callen (Source Editor) Nov 2nd, 2007 at 9:17 am

C’mon, there were parts catalouges then too. Jammer was one of them! Happ Jones KK Motorcycle Supply, there were a few things that you could buy.

7. 7 DONNIE Nov 2nd, 2007 at 10:00 am

…I THINK THAT “GOING UP FOR SELL ” IS WHAT THIS COMPANY IS GOING TO NEED . BUT ONLY IF IT WINDS UP BACK IN THE HANDS OF REAL DEDICATED MOTORCYCLE PEOPLE.. HAVING BEEN A CUSTOM CHROME DEALER FOR @25 YEARS I REMEMBER WHEN THEY WERE THE LEADER IN AFTERMARKET DISTRUBITION AND COMMITED TO CREATING NEW PRODUCTS FOR OUR INDUSTRY .SINCE ITS AQUSTION BY THE CORP BOYS , I HAVE WATCHED THE “OLD SCHOOL STAFF ” SENT DOWN THE ROAD ,DEALER REPS CUT IN HALF , ORDER FILL RATES DOWN TO 31%, AND NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPEMENT NON EXISTANT .. IF I AM NOT MISTAKEN , THE SANTEE DIVISION , WAS JUST RECENTLY SHUT DOWN AND ALL EQUIPMENT SOLD AS WELL ….WELL AS THEY SAY ” THATS SHOW BUISNES ” ..I DO WISH THEM WELL AS THEY HAVE BEEN A MAIN STREAM ARTERY IN OUR INDUSTRY …AND HATE TO SEE “ANOTHER ONE BITE THE DUST “

8. 8 Asa Nov 2nd, 2007 at 10:27 am

20 to 30 million , Cmon Cyril you can afford it and you would be a great fresh breath of air put back in the company.It might be the turnaround the co needs. I think it would be a great Idea . AB

9. 9 Cyril Nov 2nd, 2007 at 10:37 am

Accepting donations….

10. 10 Nicker Nov 2nd, 2007 at 11:57 am

Sorry Chris,

Don’t know those other.
    But do remember going to Hap Jones for tires, batteries & rims.
    His mail order house had a “will-call” counter in a damned nasty South SF neighborhood (complete with Beer-os, drinking out-a paper bags, opening up 16 oz cans with 6″ knives).

I do remember JC Whittney catalog had some stuff, like a spoke threader and blank spokes.

But in the 60’s i don’t recall either of them (Hap or JC) having any real “custom” parts like forward mount controls…etc.

By 1972 small custom shops popped up where you could buy chrome spoke sets pre-cut to a particular application (Triumph hub to a 16″ rim became popular).

In the 60’s we were into the “Mod/Rocker” era Rocker style cafe racers. And basically felt sorry for anyone stuck with a hand-me-down sidevalve 45. Man i would-a sold my sister for a Norvin….:-)

So, custom stuff was like 5-gallon tanks and clipons. You got that stuff with a new sports bike (BSA Gold Star, if you could afford one). But it was a lot cheaper to make it at home.

-nicker-

11. 11 madpuppy Nov 2nd, 2007 at 1:12 pm

Did I hear any one mention ” Gary Bang ” ? He had quite a few after- market parts ?.

12. 12 DONNIE Nov 2nd, 2007 at 2:37 pm

…HEY YOU GUYS ..SINCE WE’RE STEPPIN BACK , DON’T FORGET AEE CHOPPERS

13. 13 Chris Callen (Source Editor) Nov 3rd, 2007 at 10:25 am

Right on Nicker man, that’s what used to be custom once upon a time, new chrome. I remember back in my day, all of us tramps from the neighborhood saving up the dough for the whole year and then once per winter we’d all take a trip to a not so local shop that sold some blems and new old stock stuff. Those trips included some mandatory stuff like a new set of chrome drag pipes, one set per year, when you got ’em for 40 bucks you didn’t care if you had to replace ’em. Some new tires were always an item and then we’d usually buy one thing to make the bike different that year. One time it might be a coffin tank, maybe 5 gallon bobs, maybe a skeleton style kicker pedal, but in those days it was a lot easier to please yourself I guess. Some new paint and a few new parts and it was like unveiling a new bike in the spring for all of us. There were only a few cats that were building ground ups in the neighborhood man and they usually only did that once. After that, they saved their dough and went to the parts store with us once a year.

I guess the times they have changed but hearing you guys talk man, just makes me smile. I think this winter, I might just get a new pair of chrome drag pipes, cheap as I can find ’em and run ’em till the chrome peals off!!!

14. 14 TBear International M.C. Photojournalist Nov 9th, 2007 at 4:05 pm

C’mon Cyril,
    Let’s each kick in $15M and go for it.
    With your brains and my looks we could make a go of it….lol
    TBear

15. 15 Russell Nov 10th, 2007 at 6:20 pm

How Cool would it be to hear sum positive things about our motorcycle world right now. I am sick of bad news all the time.

Russell

16. 16 Sorry for the regurgitation! Dec 8th, 2007 at 4:23 am

Time was when motorcycle people ran the motorcycle industry. I am one of the “old school” gents that was sent down the road outta Global and I do know wherefrom I speak.

CCI was a great place to work and we grew the company by being innovative, creative, and fearless!!! Ty Cruze ran the show and used common and horse sense more often than not when making the decisions that propelled us to the top of the heap.

The only negative thing I can think of that he did was to take us public. Oh, yeah. There was lots of money made but, in the end, that action took the decision making out of the hands of motorcycle people and put into the hands of complete inbeciles!!!

Don’t let anyone tell you that becoming a small piece of a big company is a good thing!!!

I know that nothing lasts forever but the tailspin that those ‘smart’ big city businessmen put a hugely successful, hugely profitable company like CCI into was something we absolutely thought could not happen. CEO after CEO made bad decision after bad decision leading to the highly altered state Global is in today!!!

It was, for me, a wide-awake nightmare But my bad dreams have passed with time away from it all!!! I imagine, though, that, for the remaining few good folks who are still there, holding out hope for better days ahead, it has to feel like they will never wake up and stop the madness!!!

Life goes on but the people that nurtured CCI and the dealers and their customers that trusted and depended on us have nothing to fall back on.

I hear from a few dealers I have talked to recently that “Freddie” is acting like the second coming of Hitler with his minimum yearly order amounts to do business with him and who-knows-what-all else he might be hatching to perpetrate on his dealers.

Without the competition that CCI used to provide, keeping them honest, there is nothing to stop the monster, Parts Unlimited/Drag Specialties, from using Gestapo tactics on big dealers, too, not just the Mom and Pop shops that they presently seem to be trying to drive out of business.

I hope someone with an understanding of the motorcycle business (is there anyone left?) will take Global over and work to bring back a semblance of the magic that was once CCI.

The industry sure does need the balance CCI provided!!!

Well, one good thing still is available to us all. Go for a ride when you are feeling down and you will surely forget your troubles!!!

Ride Safe!!!

P.S. Ty, wanna do it again?????

17. 17 ridesafe Dec 18th, 2007 at 5:45 pm

Cyril
    Any news on the sale of CCI/GMG? When do you move to California and take over?
    Does anyone following this have any new news to report?

18. 18 Cyril Huze Dec 18th, 2007 at 5:51 pm

They think I have the expertise but not the required money! As far as I know, no buyer yet.

19. 19 ridesafe Dec 18th, 2007 at 5:57 pm

Too Bad! If it falls into th hands of another “investment” firm with no industry backround or understanding and or management will fail again?

20. 20 noca rider Jan 10th, 2008 at 7:47 am

The investment group should bring that German guy back to run the place!

21. 21 vibes Jan 14th, 2008 at 8:03 pm

When GMG bought CCI and Chrome Specialties they went with CCI management. Ed Martin and the Jammer logo did lean towards “old School”, but CSI’s strong point was in customer service which CCI lacked severely. GMG made a big mistake at this time by listening to CCI’s fast talkers when they should have chosen the team that produced revenue.

22. 22 Blue Jan 24th, 2008 at 9:54 am

Hey, we’ve got Holger back to Custom Chrome Europe – you ain’t getting him back again!!

23. 23 Jay Feb 17th, 2008 at 1:48 am

Blue, you are lucky to have Holger he is a good leader.

Thrifty Rent-A-Car System, Inc.
Affliction Holdings, LLC