Iron Horse Hotel. Road Warriors Welcome.

The soon to be opened Harley-Davidson Museum is creating business opportunities in Milwaukee Tim Dixon of Dixon Development is about to open the industry’s first modern luxury boutique hotel geared toward the segment of motorcycle enthusiasts. Located in downtown Milwaukee, the Iron Horse Hotel will offer a blend of upscale business services and, unlike any other premium hotel in the country, special amenities for riders. Tim will target motorcycle riders who are executives, CEOs and successful entrepreneurs.” To summarize, an hotel dedicated to bikers with discriminating taste. His plan? Offering secure, covered motorcycle parking, check-in carts and rag bins, on-site bike wash, on-premise retailer with travel essentials and rider accessories, in-room riding gear storage space for heavy leathers, helmets and boots, gourmet saddlebag lunches, road trip maps, etc and also The Boiler Room, coming in 2009, featuring an indoor hot tub/chilling pool with views of the river, downtown and the Harley-Davidson Museum. Of course the hotel also addresses the need for rooms generated by the 350,000 to 500,000 visitors that museum is expected to draw. Iron Horse Hotel.

17 Responses to “Iron Horse Hotel. Road Warriors Welcome.”

1. 1 Doc Robinson Apr 12th, 2008 at 8:29 am

“an hotel dedicated to bikers with discriminating taste” “gourmet saddlebag lunches”
    “motorcycle riders who are executives, CEOs and successful entrepreneurs” – spare me please and may God help us all if biking has come to this . . . who’d a thought it!

2. 2 burnout Apr 12th, 2008 at 9:13 am

I guess there is a market for this just not for me. I can appreciate a place like this being geared towards motorcylists. Now if we can just keep bikers from getting run over on the highways I will be happier than a pig in doo doo! peace

3. 3 Rodent Apr 12th, 2008 at 9:20 am

I thought RUB’s were on their way out!

4. 4 Scott Apr 12th, 2008 at 10:34 am

I wouldn’t even use te word biker to describe a person tat would stay at such a place. The term poser, wannabe, or yuppie comes to mind but never biker, Not ever, in a million years. Who am I to pass judgement. I call Harley dealerships Harley Boutiques, With all their latest fashion accessories for the posers and wannabes.

5. 5 TattooeddMike Apr 12th, 2008 at 2:02 pm

I have to agree with Scott, Poser’s, Wantabe’s, Enthusiast, Newbee’s, whatever, and far be it to me to label these type’s who simply want to capitalize on a passing fad for the same who just want to spend their money at a place that’s “Cool” because the so-called biker media said it is… Shit, I don’t give a rat’s ass to be called a biker, but don’t call me any of the above or there is going to be trouble….

6. 6 Nicker Apr 13th, 2008 at 1:48 am

Well, i guess times have changed.
    Where a road Trip used to involve a bottle of Southern Comfort, a camp fire, and a sleeping bag (if yer-sober enough to get into it)

Although i gotta confess that today i need a tent, an air mattress, and a campground with hot showers and toilets.

But “… gourmet saddlebag lunches …”…..????
    That’s stretching the “Road Warriors” thing a whole bunch.

(IMHO anyway)

7. 7 Nicker Apr 13th, 2008 at 9:58 pm

Wait, i smell a business opportunity here.

A trailer service to transport the “Road Warrior” CEO’s scooter to the local airport. So he can hop off his jet and “ride” to the IH Hotel.

Hay, it’s a service for the “Discriminating” biker……… 🙂

8. 8 hoyt Apr 14th, 2008 at 12:51 am

There are 2 different topics made in the comments above & it makes no sense to combine them….

I agree the pop culture craze in motorcycling is annoying in some ways, but the increased populari$y has been good to the OEMs and countless entreprenuers who read this site. If these companies are doing well, their products will improve, which is good for riders.

It is lame to say you’re not a “biker” if you decide to spend some cash on a nice place once in awhile, especially if one has ridden across several states to get there, all the while sleeping in their tent….

Do you so-called “bikers” drink Schlitz cans ALL the time or do spend a little extra on a tasty Belgian Ale? Wild Turkey all the time or does a Woodford Reserve sound better when you’re on a trip?

Tents are just what the doctor odered when you’re in the right place and right state of mind. Same is true for a clean hotel with a good bar/restaurant open ’til late

9. 9 Nicker Apr 14th, 2008 at 11:14 pm

O.K. … all kidding aside………

“…There are 2 different topics …”

I’d say its more like “many different perspectives” on what constitutes a “biker”.
    Le-me see if i can talk my way through this……….. 🙂

“… the pop culture craze in motorcycling is annoying …”

Now, like so many other things, pop culture has tried to redefine (co-opt) an existing term “biker”
    So now, the couple in the picture are Road Warriors.
    And that’s not annoying to guys that have built a business case around the current “craze.”
    Hell, many of those people (pictured) are their best customers and that’s cool.

I’d rather not try-n define “biker” by what they eat or drinks, but rather by how they approach motorcycling.

I suspect that for some (eg, old-farts like me) the above Hotel ProMo brings back memories of the first 60’s TV adds that went something like:
    “… you meet the nicest people on a Honda….”
    Damned thing would make me grind my teeth.

To be sure, those folks were (mostly) nice people. And they “brought” the hype of the commercial, To them that commercial was motorcycling. Before that commercial it was all about the motorcycle and being nice wasn’t the issue, however wrenching on it was… Big Time!

So on the one hand ya have the “pursuit of a pastime,” where on the other ya have a “commitment to a discipline.”

Take the SCTA guys. When they’re approached by promoters who want to commercialize Bonneville ya get the same visceral reaction (teeth grinding). However, they’ve had help keeping the unwashed masses at bay. What, with the stark environment and the isolation, i doubt you’ll find many people who take on a Bonneville effort as a pastime (for long anyway). Unlikely event to support a craze.
    Hell, it has to be an obsession….. 🙂

From my perspective, identifying a “biker” is simply a matter of commitment.
    Some take motorcycling on as a discipline. Others take it on as a pastime.
    To be sure, the “pop culture craze” is being driven by those who see motorcycling as a pastime.

Guess you’d play hell building this industry on the “discipline” folks. There just isn’t enough of-em. They were there first. They’ve always been in the minority. Probably always will be. The guys who would do whatever it took to stay in the game. Dick Mann (like many of the Richmond Ramblers) would use his bike to deliver papers on the week days, then strip it down to go racing on the weekends.

My take on a “biker” is someone who is committed enough to take on motorcycling as a discipline. It makes-em more interesting (to me anyway).

Can’t say i ever sat around a campfire and having an interesting conversation about
    …. “gourmet saddlebag lunches” ……. ?????

But that’s just me….. 🙂

10. 10 hoyt Apr 15th, 2008 at 11:08 am

I agree with the commitment vs. past time perspective, but that doesn’t mean the commited can’t splurge on a hotel with a restaurant and bar once in awhile.

B-t-w…you meet the nicest people on a Harley more than you used to.

11. 11 burnout Apr 15th, 2008 at 12:04 pm

I could do this all day BUT………………………. “to each his own” doesn’t quite do it for me. I wonder why I have 4 crashed HD’s in my small shop? I commend being able to splurge. At the same time, trying to define “real biker” will always be a hot topic. I only ride 20k plus a year (personal, shop riding doesn’t count) As long as I survive I guess I am a biker. Freedom for us all! Thanks Rogue. peace

12. 12 Nicker Apr 15th, 2008 at 2:43 pm

Ya got me there.
    Just cause’ i never met any, doesn’t mean they don’t exist ….. somewhere…. 🙂
    I stand corrected.

13. 13 Nicker Apr 15th, 2008 at 3:04 pm

“… crashed HD’s in my small shop?…” relation to “…being able to splurge…”

Ya i hear ya.
    On it”s face, that does look a lot like too many who don’t take on the discipline to really learn how to ride.

“… As long as I survive I guess I am a biker…”

A couple of years ago i lost a close friend to a scooter wreck.
    Steve Bails had been a sponsored AMA flat tracker at the national level, a Richmond Ramblers member, and a guy who lived and loved motorcycles. In my mind the consummate biker.

Let’s face it, we’re all just a bit of bad luck away from a permanent DNF.
    Not sure simply “surviving” is necessarily the defining criterion.

Just a thought.

14. 14 hoyt Apr 15th, 2008 at 7:33 pm

Ya got me there.
    Just cause’ i never met any, doesn’t mean they don’t exist ….. somewhere….
    I stand corrected.”

I was hoping you took that the right way. Good to see a sense of humor is not lost in cyber space like so many other blogs.

Just making light of a certain attitude some people assume when they throw a leg over a particular brand of bike.

It is funny how that same person is different when you encounter them away from their bike.

“Road Warrior” or any other description, whether it be directed to the old timers, pop culturists, or anyone in between – spare me. I just want to ride. I’ve gotten tickets because of an assumed general attitude. If this attitude in/out of the motorcycling world didn’t exist, then that cop could have easily used discretion. Worse yet, cagers have pulled very stupid & dangerous moves because of assumed attitudes.

15. 15 hoyt Apr 15th, 2008 at 7:37 pm

The bike in the picture above looks like a Bonnie…not sure if that was part of the Dixon Development promotion or not

16. 16 Nicker Apr 15th, 2008 at 9:50 pm

“…bike in the picture above looks like a Bonnie…”

Hadn’t noticed, but i think your right…

“… part of the Dixon Development promotion…”

What, a Triumph in a “downtown Milwaukee” promotion……??… 🙂