Will Animosity Between Car Drivers And Bikers Ever Stop?

On behalf of Allstate Motorcycle Insurance. Directive Analytics has conducted an online survey of Connecticut Car Drivers. The results are quite depressing and I am afraid they would be about the same in each US State.
Connecticut Drivers consider motorcycles very unsafe. 80% of respondents think that motorcycles are more dangerous or much more dangerous than other vehicles. 20% of Drivers state that they have come close to hitting a Biker. 75 % said they would not let their child ride a motorcycle. If they could decide, Drivers wish they would never have to share the road with motorcycles. 25% would ban bikes from highways and parkways.

Bikers were surveyed at the same time and they wish Drivers to be more careful on the road. 80% of Connecticut Bikers think that they are safer on the road than car Drivers. Bikers state that car Drivers are careless and don’t pay attention to what’s going on around them. Bikers also found Car Drivers to be aggressive, trying to cut riders off, as well as impatient, with a tendency to tailgate. According to this survey, nearly 60 percent of men said they have come close to hitting a motorcycle while driving their car.

One in three Bikers of those polled don’t want their child to ride a motorcycle. Furthermore, 50% of Bikers actually think motorcycles are dangerous. Although most Bikers consider themselves safer than Car Drivers, the survey shows that about 1 in 3 never received a formal training on how to ride a motorcycle.

Of those who ride motorcycles in Connecticut, 30 percent are women. (This is compared to the national average of only 9 % established by AMA ‘American Motorcyclist Association”).
 The survey revealed women were much more likely than men to become nervous near a biker.
 The research also reveals that more than 1 in 5 respondents think that motorcycles are more cause of accidents than other vehicles and that bikers’ recklessness was the main cause of these accidents. Let the riding season begin…Source Allstate Motorcycle Insurance.

7 Responses to “Will Animosity Between Car Drivers And Bikers Ever Stop?”

1. 1 Gerry Apr 23rd, 2008 at 9:59 pm

Insurance companies do info campaigns. What else to do?

2. 2 Rodent Apr 24th, 2008 at 9:17 am

Allstate has the reputation of canceling your policy if you put in a claim…Allstate says your in good hads but ask any of ther customers how Allstate screwed them…Didn’t they get thrown out of Florida?
    Ask victims of floods, hurricanes and check your local state insurance commission about Allstate.

3. 3 burnout Apr 24th, 2008 at 11:12 am

as seen on tv “90% of statistics can be changed….. 50% of the time” Animosity will never stop. I drive cars,trucks,tractors,big rigs,boats and bikes. I am the most “afraid” on the water and on my bike. I always watch for the other guy but I constantly encounter car drivers getting mad at ME because THEY didn’t SEE me! Oh, its MY fault you did not see me. The last crash near my place, 4 of my customers on 2 baggers with all the lights on riding staggered, were not SEEN by a car who cut in front of them! She would not have seen a yellow mack truck with bozo the clown sitting on top of it……. NAKED! I on the other hand I drove 17 yrs without a single traffic ticket. In the last 9 months I have been stopped 10 times and have 4 tickets! I NEED TRAFFIC SAFETY SCHOOL! peace

4. 4 madpuppy Apr 24th, 2008 at 11:32 am

burnout says : as seen on TV “90% of statistics can be changed….. 50% of the time ! LOL, That’s funny! TV also said : 4 out of 5 people hate having diarrhea, so does that mean 1 out of 5 does ?

5. 5 Nicker Apr 24th, 2008 at 2:27 pm

Hay burn-
    No surprise there.

“…THEY didn’t SEE…”

Is the most common drivers excuse.

Just behind the most common Dog owner excuse:

“…he’s never done that before…”

6. 6 J Apr 25th, 2008 at 2:14 pm

So….. Allstate spent this money and learned what?

Ooh, it was an online survey, no less- how scientific!

Tell you what, Allstate- next time, pay me half of what you did “Directive Analytics” (oh please- could that name be ANY more pretentious?), I’ll tell you that cars are safer than bikes, and that running over a bike with a car is a really bad idea, and take the other half and pass it along to policy holders.

Insurance research- the great mental masturbation of risk analysis……

7. 7 Dave Apr 29th, 2008 at 1:43 pm

Why not start putting some teeth into the “distraction laws”. I think I have seen it in Massachusetts, California and elsewhere – where they are outlawing “texting” and non-headset driving. The real dangers on the road is:

The eye make-up applying (or shaving),
    Cigarette smoking,
    coffee drinking,
    McMuffin eating,
    DVD watching,
    stereo listening,
    “hands talking”,
    laptop keying,
    knee steering,
    late for work.

Usually hovering in the “passing lane” while regular traffic passes on the right “for safety”.

See it every day.