Mike Seate Launches Cafe Racer Magazine.

Today Friday, June 13 at Noon, Eastern Standard Time (U.S.) motorcycle journalist and books author Mike Seate launches an online magazine exclusively dedicated to the Cafe Racers. As far as I know, it’s the first US based internet magazine dedicated exclusively to the cult of the Cafe Racer motorcycle. The site is featuring bikes, events, vintage rebuilds, road tests, visits to Cafe Racer rallies and news about these fast motorcycles. Mike Seate will publish weekly updates, then later will start the production of “Café Society” an upcoming high-definition Speed Channel film about the ton-up era. A print version of Cafe Racer magazine is also in Mike’s plans with a launch scheduled August 1st. Cafe Racer Magazine.
(To those who were not born in the 60’s or not exposed to the European motorcycle scene, I remind you that Cafe Racers have their roots mainly in the British counterculture groups represented by the Rockers and Ton Up Clubs. Rockers created a young and rebellious Rock and Roll counterculture that wanted a fast custom bike to travel between transport cafés along the newly built arterial motorways in and around British towns and cities. The goal was often to be able to reach 100 miles/hour (called “The Ton”) along a route where the rider would leave from a cafe, race to a predetermined point and back to the cafe before a single song could play on the jukebox (called record-racing). They were fond of Rockabilly music and their image belongs to today’s rockabilly culture}.

9 Responses to “Mike Seate Launches Cafe Racer Magazine.”

1. 1 Brandon Jun 13th, 2008 at 10:13 am

Cafe Racers rule!

2. 2 Doc Robinson Jun 14th, 2008 at 10:08 am

Great! The wider and more diversified our motorcycle culture becomes, the wider its reach. This is a good thing for the industry and those of us who love motorcycles of all kinds and all types.

3. 3 Ken Glenn (Rat Judge) Jun 14th, 2008 at 10:36 am

My bikes have been featured in Cafe Racer Magazines of Italy, France, Germany and Japan. It’s about time there was a Cafe magazine of America!

4. 4 Cj Hanlon Guilty Customs Jun 15th, 2008 at 10:34 pm

Awesome, Awesome, Awesome! Great to hear this as we need various influences in our industry. Looking forward to seeing and reading this magazine! Currently we have a Honda we’re working on that will have some of these styling cues and we’re anxious to get her on the road! Thanks Cyril.

5. 5 Buzz Kanter Jun 16th, 2008 at 9:20 am

That’s great. In college I was heavily involved in cafe racers. I later moved on to roadracing but always had a special place for the cafe racers of the ’60s and ’70.

Good luck Mike!

6. 6 carpy Jun 16th, 2008 at 2:03 pm

I have a Cafer racer magazine in the making too, this will be internet and also as a small pocket magazine too.
    I grew up with cafe Racer motorcycles and this is part of my life.
    I love it all.
    Peace and Grease

7. 7 Scott C. Lees May 26th, 2009 at 6:50 am

I’ve enjoyed Mike’s writing in the magazine since he started. Was REALLY excited to see his involvement in the whole Ace Cafe / Cafe Racer scene. These bikes are cool as all get-out and really let the Owner put himself into the bike. Not that the new bikes aren’t totally over-the-top performance kings, but in an urban environment they’ve gotten to the point where it’s like having John Force drive his Funny Car to the grocery… 155 HP rocks, but on the street it’s wasted. I wish Mike the Best of Luck in this project.

8. 8 Hap DeSimone Aug 18th, 2009 at 12:00 pm

I came back from Vietnam with $600 mustering out pay, and a severe need to
    stay excited. A brand new 350 Kawasaki was soon cut up into a cafe racer with a
    new Honda disc brake on the front, for the rain. Building your own bike (at least
    “remodeling” it to suit your personal needs) is the best way to get close to the sport,
    and to be prepared for most on-the-road breakdowns.

Cafe Racing has kept me sane, happy, and sharp all these years.

We race at Bonneville, and would never give that up. But for a day to day fix on your
    trusted steed, Cafe Racing is the best! I know that Mike is an awesome writer from
    his book. Now that I know he has a new writing venture out there, count me in!

9. 9 Gene Conley Sep 27th, 2011 at 7:01 pm

Miss your weekly column and are the other guy i read faithfully (Brian O’Neill being the other)
    Good luck with the new venture. Good writing, Concise. Direct. Entertaining.