Presidential Candidate John McCain Seeking Votes Among Sturgis Bikers.

Today, from 7.30 PM to 8.45 PM, Senator McCain will honor Vets and Servicemen during a speech at the Sturgis Buffalo Chips. The rally event attracting thousands of active duty and vets, no doubt that there will be some affinity towards the Senator. Does it mean that McCain has some special program to support motorcycling? Of course not. Personally, I think that it is somewhat surrealistic imagining Senator McCain delivering a speech at the Sturgis Buffalo Chips “Field Of Remembrance” while “Extreme Motorcycle Stunts” and “Wild Women Wrestling “perform on The Main Amphitheater Area and Baker Drivetrain’s “Burn Outs In The Sky” are smoking the place. I am curious to know how the religious right will react and if Senator Obama campaign is going to try to exploit some “McCain biker pictures” against its opponent. The event is starting in a few hours and I also wonder if Senator McCain is going to wear an humorous biker tee-shirt in the style of “If you can read this, the Cindy must have fell off”.  I will not be there to watch and listen. So let me know.

21 Responses to “Presidential Candidate John McCain Seeking Votes Among Sturgis Bikers.”

1. 1 Martin Serra Aug 4th, 2008 at 4:58 pm

As we all know, any politician would do anything to get a vote. Including acting as bikers friendly.

2. 2 Doug Aug 4th, 2008 at 5:02 pm

I think I know the speech “the surge is working”. Nothing will be said about biker rights.

3. 3 hoyt Aug 4th, 2008 at 7:27 pm

“The surge is working” as he walks through Iraq with how many Black Hawks in the air and countless troops diverted to protect his ass during his stunt?

4. 4 Rob Schuller Aug 4th, 2008 at 8:19 pm

Would be very interesting to know how bikers are going to vote in November.

5. 5 Nicker Aug 5th, 2008 at 12:51 am

“… how the religious right will react …”

Well, a good friend has been sober for about 10 years now, on some “Bikers for Jesus” 7 step program…… That’s gotta count for something….(?).

“…countless troops diverted to protect his ass during his stunt?…”

Contemporary Politics is a “stunt.” Hoyt, you have a firm grasp of the obvious.

Hell, one of the biggest stunts in the 20th century was BillyJeff Clinton standing in front of the American people defining what “is, is” and then telling us (with a straight face even) that a hummer isn’t sex.
    You want a stunt? That, Dude, was a Stunt ….Just one of Sooooo many!

“….Nothing will be said about biker rights…”
    Say what….?
    Rights?….. What rights….?
    So, is-zis some kinda “rebel without a clue” deal…..?

Look Doug:
    You got the right to get a bike (if ya have money, that is).
    You got the right to fall off it.
    You got the right to piss off as many people as ya can by acting stupid.
    And they got the right to sanction ya for stupid stunts.

It’s all very simple and any “victims” in this act are self anointed.

6. 6 saorijohn Aug 5th, 2008 at 9:01 am

Tony Blair did the same thing at the Triumph factory over here in the UK.
    Had his picture taken sat on a bike.
    Gave it all that proud to made in Britain crap.
    Now half of Triumphs parts are made at a plant in Thailand.

How do you know when a politician is lying?

His lips are moving.

7. 7 Greg Hamilton Aug 5th, 2008 at 9:56 am

To be a vet doesn’t make you a good Commander in Chief. Talking in sturgis doesn’t make you a biker. McCain just trying to grab a few votes. It’s what all politicians are all about. Opportunists.

8. 8 madpuppy Aug 5th, 2008 at 10:03 am

Rights?….. What rights….?
    So, is-zis some kinda “rebel without a clue” deal…..?
    Yep, write on Nicker ! In my humble opinion the only right we have ( besides dieing & taxes ) is the right not to get caught doing what ever it is you are not supposed to be doing. Politicians Of both sides are the same ! They all promise the moon, but no one ever delivers! I think I`d rather vote for an ex-POW that takes photo- ops at a Biker rally , Than a newbie taking a photo-op at the Mexican border welcoming illegals into the USA to vote for himself. Just my opinion.

9. 9 burnout Aug 5th, 2008 at 10:41 am

Have you guys heard about “Electile Dysfunction” ? It’s the latest thing. “The inability to become aroused over any of the choices for President put forth by either party in the 2008 election year” peace

10. 10 rodent Aug 5th, 2008 at 1:24 pm

Horredous traffic last night heading towards Glenco and the Chip for KISS & KID ROCK

11. 11 hoyt Aug 5th, 2008 at 2:00 pm

Nicker – you can refer to Carter and Clinton’s past all you want, but it doesn’t change McCain’s lame and expensive stunt during a war. What’s worse? shamelessly trying to claim Obama did not go to Iraq before a certain point.

There are those politicians and then there are those that have better sense to stay out of the way during the more intense days of the Iraq War so the troops can deal with other more important things than keeping McCain’s ass safe during his “stroll” through an Iraqi street.

That is a worse stunt than pitifully calling a hummer not sex….Clinton is history and hopefully so will be McCain.

12. 12 Nicker Aug 6th, 2008 at 1:20 am

“..lame and expensive stunt during a war…”
    Sorry, i don’t know much about McCaine’s trip.
    Point me to the info. What exactly was it that was so dangerous and expensive….???

“…Nicker – you can refer to Carter and Clinton’s past all you want…”

Count on it……… 🙂

“…That [McCane’s rip] is a worse stunt than pitifully calling a hummer not sex…”

No…… “the stunt” wasn’t about the hummer, it was about subverting the justice system to cover for the Hummer, which between a “CEO and a subrodinate” was an illegal act.
    And there apper to have been many more such “acts” perpetrated by BillyJeff, including a credible charge of rape. Want a reading list…???

13. 13 Knucklehead Aug 6th, 2008 at 8:22 am

Looks like disfunction alright. This country has been in some kind of a conflict during every presidents term from the begining. I don’t think any one likes this war. Bikers will vote just like doctors, shop rat, gas jocky. or anyone else. They will vote for the one they please. That is what all my family fault for starting before 1776. And that includes being able to get on my bike and ride it anywhere in this country freely. And if this guy wants to go to this rally it is right just like the other guy has a right to go to a NOW rally. God bless our troops and God bless this country.

14. 14 hoyt Aug 6th, 2008 at 12:47 pm

Nicker: “What exactly was it that was so dangerous and expensive….???”

“It’s still dangerous, it’s still a long way to go…” John McCain’s own spoken words in interview on CNN.

You are resourceful, Nicker, so you should find all the information you need about this visit, the one in which shortly thereafter, McCain claimed Gen. Petreus could go out in an unarmored vehicle; but I question whether your selective memory/history will get in the way of looking at this objectively.

Or, will you not look at this hypocritically? If this had been another politician attempting to demonstrate Iraq’s state of affairs, would you say, “why is that fool getting in the way of the troop’s mission…causing more stress for them to deal with?”

Expensive? 3 Blackhawk helicopters, 2 Apache gunships, and more than 100 soldiers accompanied McCain on his stroll that was a 3-minute drive from the Green zone near Baghdad.

Add logistics planning and whatever else could have been done instead of carrying out this farce to the total costs.

15. 15 Kit Maira Aug 6th, 2008 at 2:59 pm

According to one account he said on the stage that his wife Cindy could be “both First Lady and Miss Buffalo Chip.” Wish I was there to throw quarters at her working the stage.

It doesn’t matter who wins. The question is which of these bozos is gonna be behind the wheel when they drive the country off the cliff.

My new bumper sticker reads: “You could have supported Ron Paul, Now we’re completely fucked.”

Just my personal opinion, and as we all know, opinions are like assholes, every one has one.

16. 16 Nicker Aug 6th, 2008 at 4:06 pm

Well, ya, i guess i’m resourceful enough to have dug up enough information that tells me Iraq is just one battle in Clash of Civilizations that is WW-III. And that a visit from a Senator is inconsequential in that context. I’m more interested in our culture prevailing.

“…. 3 Blackhawk helicopters, 2 Apache gunships, and more than 100 soldiers …”

Ya, i guess that’s SOP.
    In Vietnam, on at least one occasion we actually had to “stage a battle” for visiting Confessionals.
    Once i almost threw Sander Van Ocker and his cameraman off my barge.

“Official Non-combatants” hanging around is nothing new.
    The question to ask is: “is it a good idea.”

Hell, even Hillary’s trip was worth the picture of her shaking hands with some guys who use it as an opportunity to “cross their fingers” as a sign of disapproval…. 🙂

Le-me tall ya, any thing ya do to show support for the troops is worth the effort.
    (Conversly, anything that’s done to subvert them and their mission is treasonous.)

“…It doesn’t matter who wins…”
    What about the taxes that comes with a Socialist agend, Doesn;t that matter,,,,???

17. 17 Kit Maira Aug 6th, 2008 at 6:27 pm

“…It doesn’t matter who wins…”

Electing either McCain or Obama will not have a significant effect on the taxes we pay, but to keep us in Iraq for 100 years like McCain wants will have a significant effect on the value of our dollar as the feds create money out of thin air to pay for the cost of occupation. Obama will be no better. He wants to shift the expense to Afghanistan.

The sooner we start minding our own business and stop worrying about the rest of the world, the sooner our economy will recover. America first, we have plenty of problems of our own.

Just my humble opinion,

18. 18 Nicker Aug 12th, 2008 at 2:49 pm

Looking at the taxes that my relatives pay in Socialist European countries tells a different story.
    Electing Obama would be like electing Sol Alinsky.
    Do you really America to become Socialist?

America supported Europe after WW-II. If they hadn’t many of us Europeans would have starved to death. There is an American presence in Europe today.

“Staying home and minding our own business,” while sounding good in principal, doesn’t translate into the real world any more than Marx or Lenin’s vision of a Socialist Utopian Paradise.

If your simply “anti war”…. human history tells us your gonna be disappointed.
    If your beef is the Iraq war, lemme tell ya, this is just one battle in a global clash of civilizations.

And not paying attention, because “all ya wanna do is ride” is like hiding your head in the sand.

As you say, that’s an opinion…. we all have em.
    Just remember, reality is a cruel judge and takes no prisoners.

19. 19 Tom C Sep 26th, 2008 at 12:46 am

So it’s a month or so after Sturgis and McCain looks sillier than ever. I saw him on TV today with the dudes from Orange county Choppers.

I ride to escape politics.

And i hope there will be a country left to ride in, if McCain and that nut hockey mom from Alaska get elected.

At least the Boss, an Obama supporter, didn’t feel the need to preach during the Harley 105th.

20. 20 Nicker Sep 26th, 2008 at 1:00 am

“…. I ride to escape politics…”

With that attitude you wont be riding long.
    (see CA & Florida legislation)

In this country Politics is supposed to be a full time deal for every citizen.
    (see the Founding Fathers, Federalist Papers, etc.)

Get educated, get active.

21. 21 hobart Oct 18th, 2008 at 9:15 pm

Senator McCain,

A few years ago I was in Austin,TX having dinner with my Uncle, Colonel Donald Hobart, USAF, Retired. He is sneaking up on 78, I’m 59, I asked him after years of silence: “What was it really like in Vietnam, what can you tell me?”. He paused, began to cry and said ” I brought all my boys home as I promised their mothers but I still wake up at midnight and see all that carnage, I went to war as a Patriot but came home feeling like a Butcher. We made more than a few off the record trips into “territory not politically acceptable”. I can still see those simple people running for daylight and God took a coffee break”. I hugged my Uncle Don and told him that while I slept soundly he stood on the wall of freedom, offered his blood and life as needed and I owe him/you/those young 19-23 year old Patriots my apology and my gratitude.

I offer my prayers, my singular vote and my financial support as best I can toward your election as my President. You are our Patton, McArthur, R.E. Lee, Jefferson and most definately G. Washington as the only, not best, qualified to lead the last true Democracy through the international crisis we now find ourselves in…..and if you have the opportunity, please tell Nancy Pelosi a 59 yr.old Independant in Virginia is still waiting for a list of her “100 day accomplishments”. I weep thinking about the world my grandchildren are inheriting, the waste and ignorance so many Liberal polititions sell like “snake oil” to the masses and the self centered media maggots (the Situation Room needs a case of toilet paper and a full apology to it’s viewers for such tainted reporting).

Or as Senator David Crockett told the Tennessee legislators a long time ago: “You can all go to Hell, I’m going to Texas”

I wish you and Governor Palin the very best this coming Nov. 4. You have my vote, my prayers, my support and my best wishes for your victory.

Bruce Hobart