Cliff Gullett Killed At The Bonneville Salt Flats

Cliff Gullett, rider of the Costella-Gullett Motorcycle Streamliner was killed Wednesday afternoon at the Bonneville Salt Flats, after completing his return run. Cliff had 2 runs which qualified for the record in the 500 cc class, but the record will have to be ratified by the governing racing bodies for the event. Cliff Gullett died after he lost control of his motorcycle and crashed while traveling at 239 mph. Just a little over a week ago, he set 3 World Land Speed Records, one of which broke a 50 year old record set in 1958. He wanted to be the first to reach 400 mph on a two-wheeled Streamliner. Gullett owned Team Bozeman Motorsports, a motorcycle and snowmobile dealership.

14 Responses to “Cliff Gullett Killed At The Bonneville Salt Flats”

1. 1 Jeff Nicklus Sep 5th, 2008 at 2:10 pm

Cliff was a good man and a tough competitor. His passing is a tremendous loss to the world of motor sports. Our thoughts and prayers are with the family. God Bless you Cliff.

2. 2 bcarter Sep 5th, 2008 at 2:10 pm

I just read this at Sam posted something a while ago, but I hadn’t seen photos or read the details. My sympathy and condolences to his family. Loosing someone is hard—even harder like this and at his age.

You gotta hand it to the guy. He could race.

3. 3 Brenda Fox Sep 5th, 2008 at 2:52 pm

Such a loss and inspiration to many, Cliff certainly lived life at full throttle.

Cliff’s love and passion for motorsports has imprinted the sacred grounds of the Bonneville Salt Flats and you will be sorely missed. My deepest condense to his family and loved ones.

May you run nitrous in heaven!
    Brenda Fox

4. 4 Gar Sep 5th, 2008 at 3:10 pm

It is always tough to loose someone especially when that someone is one of your own. The motorcycle and motorsports community lost a good one with the passing of Cliff. My deepest condolences and sympathies to the family.

May you break that 400 mph barrier in heaven!

5. 5 joe dupont Sep 6th, 2008 at 8:16 am

He seemed like an amazing person who died at what he liked to do.
    who knows he could have died a long agonizing death from cancer.
    No one gets out of here alive.. I’m almost 60 so 47 is not much time..
    but our time on earth should not be measured by years but being a live.
    Many folks make it to 100 . but most of them will never have experienced the thrill
    of such adventures.. Cliff did.. and I hope his family understands the need for
    such men to push the limits..

Rest is peace Cliff.

6. 6 Travis Penn Sep 6th, 2008 at 1:22 pm

R.I.P Cliff.
    Pepole like you make life more entertaining.
    You must have died a happy man. cuz i know i would
    seeing that u have so many accompishment, and some of those youll probably reach in heaven!
    your Awesome and again Rest in Peace or Competition!

7. 7 Harry Sep 6th, 2008 at 1:40 pm

May God comfort Cliff’s family at this time, my thoughts are with his family. May he rest in peace…

8. 8 MJ Reynolds for Sep 6th, 2008 at 10:33 pm

I have learned a lot more about summer speed trials, and about Cliff Gullett’s piece of that history. Amazing… I’m sad for his family.

9. 9 Nitrous Phil Sep 7th, 2008 at 2:25 pm

Cliff went to the otherside doing what he loves most.
    I hope I have that honor.

God Speed Cliff
    Nitrous Phil

10. 10 AC Sep 8th, 2008 at 9:35 am

I have often dreamt about the building and riding a motorcycle on the legendary Bonneville Salt Flats. I did not know Cliff personally, but based on what I have read about him, it would seam that he lived that dream with unbridled passion, and touched many people along the way. It is the human condition to push the limits of man and machine to new levels with the goal of achieving what was once considered impossible. Many men and women have died in pursuit of their dreams, and inevitably they have all left an enduring mark on us all. It’s the memory of people like Cliff, which inspires us to push harder, and to be more passionate in the pursuit of our dreams. Godspeed Cliff!

11. 11 Bigwoody Sep 8th, 2008 at 10:06 am

Die doing what you do best it the ultimate reward.
    Condolences to family and friends.

12. 12 Big Joe Sep 8th, 2008 at 1:10 pm

The awards banquet was held Saturday night. AMA Ken made one presentation and spoke on behalf of both the AMA and FIM. The presentation was to share with everyone that Cliff had been awarded a new landspeed and had a certificate that was to be presented to Cliff’s family and team.

Having just returned from Bonneville yesterday I can tell you all that Cliff and his family are in all of our prayers.

God Bless

13. 13 E.Kennedy Sep 10th, 2008 at 11:11 pm

My sympathy to Cliff’s family. Dying doing something you love is still dying. It is the risk we accept to live life as we choose. Whether it is just riding motorcycles or racing them. Cliff’s goal was to set the record and live to enjoy the experience. I would prefer to die doing something I love by setting the record as the oldest person ever to do it. Cliff’s death and the death of any racer is a tragedy and loss to a worldwide community. Our prayers are first, that everyone comes home, second that we are successful in our goals. Now our prayers are for Cliff and for his family. May God bless all of you.

14. 14 Max Sep 12th, 2008 at 12:17 pm

“No thing that ever flew……….Dies as others do”

RIP Brother………