Myrtle Beach Passes All Bike Rally Ordinances

(From Lorena Anderson at Myrtle Beach Online)
All 15 of Myrtle Beach’s proposed bike rally options have become law, though with some modifications.
At this morning’s city council workshop, rally proponents raised objections to some details and some entire proposals, like the one that requires riders to wear helmets and protective eyewear within city limits. Of all the proposals designed to curtail the May motorcycle rallies that draw more than 300,000 to the Grand Strand each year, the helmet law is the least popular among rally supporters. They say wearing a helmet is actually unsafe and that the city’s rule making noncompliance an infraction instead of a crime still supersedes state law. That ordinance didn’t face any changes before it passed 5-1, with Councilman Randal Wallace dissenting. He has never agreed with the helmet law. The other ordinances passed 6-0, with Chuck Martino absent. The city planned on limiting parking to one motorcycle per space, but after bikers made the case for multiple bikes in one spot to save parking spaces for other users, the council at this afternoon’s meeting voted to allow no more than two bikes per public space. Councilmembers also passed the 2 a.m. bar-closing law, which says any bar that wants to remain open after 2 a.m. must apply for an exemption and make its security, underage drinking and overpouring policies and procedures clear to the city. But until this afternoon, the council had been planning to require all official security personnel to be licensed and bonded. Councilmembers removed the bonding requirement before passing the second and final draft of the ordinance.
The juvenile curfew will go into effect in 90 days, as will anti-loitering and public drinking rules and more. Other rules take effect immediately, like stricter noise standards and adding rallies and other unpermitted, unmanaged events to the city’s list of nuisances. Lawyers representing some of the businesses that object to the ordinances attended both the workshop and meeting. Suzanne Coe of Greenville, an attorney for The Dog House and The Masters’ Club, spoke up several times during both gatherings to warn the city about legal challenges she sees coming.
In the end, though, the city council said it would face whatever legal challenges come up. Speakers accused the council of discriminating against bikers, attorney Beth Marlow of Charleston, representing Harley-Davidson of Myrtle Beach and Festival Promotions, registered her objections to a variety of ordinances, including the one that allows the city to hold promoters of events that spill over into the city liable for the city’s expenses. But she said after the meeting that she doesn’t anticipate filing any motions to try and stop the city from enforcing the new laws — yet.

41 Responses to “Myrtle Beach Passes All Bike Rally Ordinances”

1. 1 Nicker Sep 24th, 2008 at 3:12 pm

A former Florida resident told me last week that Myrtle Beach is the “retirement choice” for many Law enforcement agents (PDs. FBI, DEA, CIA,…. etc.).

Just an observation.

2. 2 BadMonkeyMW Sep 24th, 2008 at 4:56 pm

How to put this as eloquently as possible?

The Smokeout rules and anything else is just a gold-chained, pastel-colored, billet laden douchebag festival. Here’s hoping Myrtle Beach burns to the ground with these shitbag politicians & grouchy, just waiting to die old folks with it.

3. 3 Knucklehead Sep 24th, 2008 at 5:06 pm

I’m with Badmonkey!

4. 4 Dave B. Sep 24th, 2008 at 5:45 pm

Plenty of other places to go. Never cared for the Myrtle Beach events anyway. No real loss in my opinion.

5. 5 J Sep 24th, 2008 at 7:34 pm

Yep- every town and their brother has a bike event anymore- We’ll see how the town fathers dig the double-digit loss of tax revenue next year, and how quickly this gets repealed when homeowners get their new property tax assessments……. Bummer about floating all the muni revenue paper, Myrtle Beach- oh well…..

6. 6 Jeff Nicklus Sep 24th, 2008 at 7:37 pm

I signed a new appearance contract last week to attend another event during the same time period as the Spring Myrtle Beach Bike Week so as I have said before %uck Myrtle Beach!

As for the Fall Myrtle Bike Week ….. as I write this I am in Panama City, FL at the Thunder Beach Rally ….. so all I can say is “MYRTLE BEACH WHO?”

Over & Out,

7. 7 Rodent Sep 25th, 2008 at 8:54 am

Bad Monkey is correct! fuck em. you don’t want our money screw you

8. 8 That Girl Sep 25th, 2008 at 9:17 am

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren’t enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” – Ayn Rand

9. 9 Rogue Sep 25th, 2008 at 9:31 am
  10. 10 Rogue Sep 25th, 2008 at 9:35 am
  11. 11 Pitbull Sep 25th, 2008 at 11:30 am

R.I.P. Myrtle Beach rally!

12. 12 wgs Sep 25th, 2008 at 12:28 pm

They already had a law/ordinance that thongs were not allowed. During BBW, women were wearing them everywhere. So to get rid of their problem, they pass a helmet law. Seems like it would have been just as easy to get the bottom covered as it will be to get the top covered.

13. 13 Mike Greenwald Sep 25th, 2008 at 1:14 pm

Rules take effect immediately, like stricter noise standards and adding rallies and other unpermitted, unmanaged events to the city’s list of nuisances.

14. 14 Jason Sep 25th, 2008 at 10:56 pm

I have to go for work…guess I should leave my bike at home and hide in the hotel. MAybe the local Schwinn dealer will rent me a Stingray

15. 15 Nicker Sep 26th, 2008 at 12:44 am

“… MAybe the local Schwinn dealer will rent me a Stingray..”

Apparently not if you’re wearing a Thong….

16. 16 Knucklehead Sep 26th, 2008 at 8:30 am

17. 17 bcrusin Sep 26th, 2008 at 10:42 am

Guys like BadMonkey is why their are new ordinances. Imagine this guy
    with a drink in him

18. 18 out there somwhere Sep 28th, 2008 at 10:45 am

Hey Jason,
    We just have to remember to turn left when we leave work and stay up on the north end then we don’t have to play by MB’s new rules.

At least the businesses we have to deal with love us and can’t wait for us to return every year.

Myrtle can make all the rules they want but that’s not going to stop the rally, I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, look what happened when Hollister tried to get rid of that rally. Chaos and now it’s bigger and better than it ever was.

Jason in a thong on a Schwnn, now that would be the end of all……………………………….

19. 19 Doug Cahn Sep 29th, 2008 at 1:22 pm

I was hoping to hear from Lee Wimmer on this subject.
    Lee, if your out there, please weigh in as a MB resident and business owner this has got to affect your business. I would be interested in an educated opion to the changes for future rallies in MB.
    Thanx Doug

20. 20 customfighterer Sep 29th, 2008 at 1:44 pm

As has been said before by me and others, If florida doesnt want bikers (as they’ve made clear with all of their recent laws) then why are bikers willing to go to rallies there and give millions of dollars to their econonmy and SUPPORT the state that is attacking them?!?!

It makes no fucking sense. Shows can be held anywhere there is always another venue and always another promoter and organizer too. Boycott florida. give them what they want, NO BIKES….and dont give them what they really want which is the money coming from all of you, the people they dont want around.

21. 21 Biker Bob Sep 29th, 2008 at 2:51 pm

Bad Monkey with a drink in him, ….. probly more truth would come out of him. I am with you Mr. Monkey fuck the sons a bitches, let’s go party some where else.

22. 22 Wyked Illuzionz Sep 30th, 2008 at 8:49 pm

We were a vendor at the Colonial Mall at the spring rally but we refused to go to the fall rally when the city has made it so clear we are not really welcome. The permits and licenses cost us an “arm and a leg”. Somehow, I cannot comprehend the idea of paying so much money to go where we are clearly not wanted. There are so many cities within a reasonable distance of Myrtle that welcome the bikers and the added revenue they bring. Let ‘s support those that support us from now on! Wyked Illuzionz, Custom LED Lights for Motorcycles –

23. 23 Nicker Sep 30th, 2008 at 10:45 pm

Yet another M-Beach resident says:

“…. bikers should open their eyes and recognize that the reasons for the the anti-biker sentiment have real causes, it hasn’t just been created out of thin air. The blame lies with the bikers themselves. The rallies have brought with them increasing crime, noise, and debauchery …. and that is why the residents of MB are up in arms over this…”

“…as for BBW, they don’t spend hardly any money any way and the city loses millions on law enforcement each year during BBW, so go ridance to that as well …”

It ain’t the first time we’ve heard this stuff, but no one pays much attention…????

“…blame lies with the bikers… increasing crime, noise, and debauchery…”

So exactly what do they (and we for that matter) mean by “Biker”…????

Try looking at it this way:
    If gang-bangers like driving hot rods, would ya call-em Gear heads…???
    So, by implication, is every car-club a bunch a gang-bangers…???

Just a thought

24. 24 burnout Oct 1st, 2008 at 10:38 am

Once again, with 300,000 people at any kind of event ANYWHERE you can expect some of those people to be a problem. Is it just me or does 500 motorcycles look like a thousand? 500 MOVING bikes can look like ten thousand to some people, ESPECIALLY the people who do not like bikes! I ride a LOT by myself and mostly get kind, unsolicited remarks from the public. As a biker I am more sensitive to this Myrtle Beach fiasco than if I was, say, a sports car clubber. If the powers at Myrtle want a smaller showing they are definitly gonna get their wish……… with or without the ordinances! peace

25. 25 Sad Sad (Biggits) Oct 1st, 2008 at 9:33 pm

Nicker ,so what are you appling about blks ? So you say we don’t spend any money ,that’s the biggest lie that yo mama ever told . So why are the hotel 3x more expensive during bbw. We are constantly at the cycle shops and we eat at all the resturaunts. We put more revenue in that city than any other wk in that year so if you wanna run off at the mouth ,at least get yo story strait. You just one of them good ole boys anyway….VA.4LFE

26. 26 Mike Simmons Oct 1st, 2008 at 9:58 pm

I run a local business that makes great money serving the needs of bikers at all Bike Weeks. The socialistic laws that have been passed will cost me a lot of money. However the city council does not care about the local business people they are only concerned with harressing bikers in order to make money for the city coffiers. This issue is not about making Bike Week go away it is a vehicle to make the city thousands of dollars by writing tickets to bikers. They are not smart enough to realize they are running of a lot of business for this community. As a local businessman I support the people that are suing the city and have joined in the boycott to not spend ANY money in the city limits of Myrtle Beach until everything is back like it was. If local business people lose a great deal of money in the winter time they will stand up against this socialistic ruling that these politicians have made. So business owners of Myrtle Beach good luck this winter as the bikers and their friends will not be spending money in your businesses. I wonder how many businesses will survive the winter without the locals spending money there.

27. 27 Mike Greenwald Oct 2nd, 2008 at 12:50 am

Yo Sad Sad (Biggits) Oct 1st, 2008 at 9:33 pm

The quotes that Nicker has in his post have been deleted. Makes your assumption that what is said there is his stuff. It’s not his. I hear him saying that as bikers, we have heard so much of this rhetoric before about bikers and about BBW. WE KNOW WHAT THE HELL IS GOING DOWN AND WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.

Get in touch with me through Cyril and I will show you a bunch of support as I expect you will probably show it to me to get stupid crap like this Myrtle Beach thing resolved.

28. 28 Sad Sad (Biggits) Oct 2nd, 2008 at 9:37 pm

Yo mike , I really appriciate your response on my commit. We as bikers must come together as 1. Blacks, whites and any others. I have respect 4 everone on 2 wheels because some people make harsh rumors about us. When the case is that most of us are regular people that just enjoy being on 2 wheels . I have been attending BBW 4 10 years and I have fun each year.I really think what the city concil did was wrong and that it is very discrimanating aganist all bikers. They will really be hurting the bunisses in town and I don’t think that it is fair 4 the owners. Good luck and if their is any thing that I can do to help just let me know…………Lada.

29. 29 Nicker Oct 2nd, 2008 at 11:13 pm

Sad– (whatever)–

“…so what are you appling about blks ?…”

Say what…….”appling” (??).

“… spend any money … biggest lie …”

Try reading what i wrote again, ya missed the point.
    That’s comming from the citizens of the town.

“… the biggest lie that yo mama ever told …”

Well, don’t know if she ever did, but most of the stuff she did tell me panned out ok.
    I’m retired, debt free, and in reasonable health. All due in no small part to her kick-n my ass.
    What’s your point?

“… at least get yo story strait…”

Well let’s see…. All i said is on this Blog, we’ve heard itizens bitch that there’s no busines case for BBW. Now, it seems to me that in this “tough economy” the town would jump at the chance to make some money. So, your telling us the town would rather take a beating than take your money …… ????

“… We put more revenue in that city than any other wk …”

Well, not according to the citizens bitchi-n on this blog.
    So now the problem is, which one-a ya is correct. The town or BBW ????

“…. You just one of them good ole boys anyway… ”

If ya stick around this blog long enough, ya might be surprised.
    But frankly dude, not only does that story not give me anything to go on, it’s also getting old.

“… so if you wanna run off at the mouth …”

Hay, “run-n my mouth” is a retirement hobby, And i do the best i can ………. :-).
    If i’m wrong about something, show me.

“… biggits…”????

A’m i a bigot….?
    Well, i don’t know ….. that sort-a thing is usually a matter of perspective.
    I’ll tall ya this up front, for better or worse…. i’m totally indifferent. I don’t give a rat’s ass one way or the other.
    I’m more interested in what ya can do than who ya are…. (ya, i know, it’s a character flaw).

I look at the world through my experiences. I don’t care much what other people think. Life ain’t a popularity contest.
    I prefer facts, not bullshit.
    Don’t piss on my boots and try telling me it’s raining.
    Given those parameters, we’ll get along just fine

30. 30 Mike Greenwald Oct 3rd, 2008 at 8:24 am

Business owners file suit against Myrtle Beach

By Thema Ponton
    WBTW News 13 Reporter
    Published: October 2, 2008

The city of Myrtle Beach is facing another lawsuit over some of the new
    ordinances passed by city council, designed to curtail the May
    motorcycle rallies.

Thursday morning, attorney Suzanne Coe said she filed for an injunction
    in United States District Court in Florence.

Coe said she filed for an injunction to stop the ordinances that are
    currently in effect. She said the next step is a hearing and she is
    waiting to hear from the Court.

Coe said the lead plaintiff in the case in Donnie Emery, owner of The
    Dog House Bar and Grill; other plaintiffs include Club Kryptonite, The
    Master’s Club, and others.

Monday, attorney J. Thomas McGrath filed suit on behalf of his clients,
    William and Carol O’Day, who live in Myrtle Beach.

According to that lawsuit, the two would like a judge to declare the
    ordinances about noise and the ordinance about wearing a helmet and
    protective eyewear invalid, void, and unenforceable.

Myrtle Beach public information officer Mark Kruea said the city has not
    yet been served with either lawsuit.

31. 31 Nicker Oct 3rd, 2008 at 3:06 pm

May be folks who want to contest this stuff should look at “Heart of Atlanta” for precedent.

This was the last challenge to the 1964 civil rights act.

The arguments against the challenge were framed in the Commerce Clause of the Constitution, not the Civil Ware amendments (much to the consternation of the challengers who were arguing a States Rights issue).

The court ruled against the challenge sayng that nothing shall impede Interstate commerce.
    (the descriminating motel was on an interstate).

Seems to me that the same argument could be made (on behalf of the vendors anyway)….???

Just a thought.

See you all in a few weeks, i’ll be out of the country.

32. 32 Mike Greenwald Oct 3rd, 2008 at 5:00 pm

In part, that is a very good example. Another case in Atlanta since then has banned motorcycles from an area that they have wanted to keep pedestrian and I am not so certain that the government of MB is not under pressure to follow a similar path. That being said, attendance for their fall rally is way lower than anticipated.
    Have a good trip.

33. 33 04 KINGPIN Oct 6th, 2008 at 6:20 pm

34. 34 SHAGNASTY Oct 28th, 2008 at 2:41 pm

Since when did Myrtle Beach move to Florida?

35. 35 free2ride Oct 28th, 2008 at 9:04 pm

comrade nicker say the issue is all the crime we biker trash bring to his fair city. we rape and murder the mb population while we are down there shooting millions into their tax base. i just read
    yuall’s online newspaper; 6 th body found in Florence, robbery/assault, hostage standoff and dog in microwave. better hurry and pass some new unconstitutional and unfair ordinances that
    buttonhole only a segment of the population. the percentage of bad bikers is about equal or lesser to the percentage of lying,embezelling politicians. hey nicker ever rode a bike?

36. 36 Free in America Jan 14th, 2009 at 1:33 pm

Its very strange in a land that represents freedom bought & paid for in American blood; it’s citizens rights and freedoms are determined by a few or they must be bought time & time again. Perhaps it’s time for another Boston Tea Party!

37. 37 Fresh Jan 21st, 2009 at 12:08 am

FUCK MYRTLE BEACH! I will not be spending one penny in Myrtle Beach this year or any year. Those faggot, rich golfers can kiss my ass in Hell! I will tell all of my friends, family and anybody else that listens to never, ever go to Myrtle Beach. I will be in Garden City and Murrels Inlet spending my money and I plan on staying in Georgetown and going to ‘Rebar’. Again: FUCK MYRTLE BEACH!!!!!!

38. 38 GOP Apr 5th, 2009 at 6:32 pm

I’m glad they did it . Myrtle Beach has the balls that the other don’t . It’s all about the family , not the thugs on their Jap bikes . Get over it , go to Virgina Beach .

39. 39 Rick May 7th, 2009 at 3:46 pm

Just don’t go there I don’t attend bike week but I do vacation there with my family and have for many years until now. I’ve canceled my reservation and will not return to myrtle beach until the city changes, The city was built on tourist dollars and they want get any more of mine myrtle beach is not the only beach town on the atlantic coast

40. 40 Still here Sep 5th, 2009 at 3:24 am

Rest assured all you people who flame myrtle beach have enjoyed some time here. If you havent been here you have no room to speak or if you were here and its that bad why be concerned? I live in myrtle beach and i was raised on bike week and even better things like the pavilion.. So much for that. All those stuck here can really only do one thing. VOTE! Before you flame me im not political i just read as you are doing.

41. 41 peace Apr 6th, 2010 at 5:47 pm

Hey I live here in a little town outside of MB and last year was not the best but I’m hoping people will still come. Me and my husband have a vendor and we sure do miss u guys. All the blame and finger pointing and cursing is not doing any good. If you really want to show them something come with your safety gear. That will show them something. Then still fight to get rid of the needless laws.