2008 Daytona Biketoberfest

When you read this I will be in Daytona for the 16th annual Biketoberfest. And I am proud to say that I participated to all of them. Lots of very good and not so good memories. The good, you can guess. The bad, the ones associated with what the city and the cops have done to a lot of us professionals and rally-goers. All abuses filling 2 main categories: price gouging and over zealous cops. Like Bike Week in spring, Biketoberfest has changed a lot with the epicenter of activities shifting north to Ormond Beach. So, yes I will pass quite a few times under the “Welcome To Daytona Beach” sign on International Speedway Blvd. but I already know that it’s not in the city that I will spend most of the next 3 days. As always I will report on what is of interest to all of you. Weather forecast: temperatures will be 70 F to 82 F, sunny every day till’ Sunday (except thunderstorms possible on Saturday). Stay tuned.

11 Responses to “2008 Daytona Biketoberfest”

1. 1 MJ Oct 16th, 2008 at 7:17 am

I moved to Daytona Beach in 1969… how time flies. I remember when I could run the beach at night with my German Shephard and meet up with people around bon fires on the beach, which is now closed after dark and no pets allowed 24 hours a day, not to mention the entrance fee the county is losing money to collect. So it’s not just bikers who are hasstled by the growth and politics. But I have never missed a Bikeweek or Biketoberfest. I love to ride all the way up to White Eagle for great free concerts, then drop by the Irish pub across from Flagler pier, and also ride south to Gilly’s 44. Last spring a bunch of us rode to the Ponce Inlet Lighthouse that is less than 10 miles south. I want to see the Lucky Daredevils – swords, snakes, fire and more! This will be the first time this show will be in town at Broken Spoke in Ormond, up there near Iron Horse and Destination Daytona. It’s all good…

2. 2 steveb Oct 16th, 2008 at 9:55 am

I must admit, I dont know a single person (read: cash spending consumer) planning on going to this event. For folks I know it is either BikeWeek (fewer and fewer folks I know going to that) or Sturgis – which surprisingly is growing in interest – even given the distance for my East Coast friends.

If your going to let your wallet get hoover’d once a year, personally I’d rather do it in Sturgis: great crowd, bikes, people, overall feel and sights to see.

3. 3 Gunrunner Oct 16th, 2008 at 10:45 am

Being in attendance at pretty much all of the major rallies over the last 14 years. I have seen a significant decline at both of the Daytona rallies, Laughlin, and Sturgis. It is not just the unpredictable weather – it is the blame of those greedy cities.

If you have a bad experience at one of these events, including an over zealous cop that cited you on a bs ticket that cost you a lot of money, and your housing & beer was over priced… it would be bad feeling want to return to that mess. Compound that issue when that city issues 2 to 4,000 tickets that week. Compound it again when that individual tells a dozen of his friends about all of the problems associated with attending that rally…

Those people will get tired of the same scene – every year, and there are rallies almost every weekend somewhere else. Look at Myrtle Beach… it has grown into a huge event because up until the last year. The general cop population is cool, the housing is fair, and the locals want us there. Now I’m seeing that Myrtle is starting to turn…

I just hope it does not follow the trends.

4. 4 burnout Oct 16th, 2008 at 10:51 am

I always have to work at the rallys so it is hard to see everything. I have been verbally abused by the police more in Daytona than anywhere! I do not speed nor make a lot of noise with my pipes but they seem to find SOMETHING to get on me about! Maybe I just look like a troublemaker. I do not understand the ticket for not having both feet on the ground. In my 30plus yrs of riding (still learning everyday) you keep a foot on the rear brake when stopped. Police say that they spot drunk riders by observing whether both feet are on the ground at stops. If they have motor training they know I am speaking the truth. I wish it WAS just about safety instead of money! sad. peace

5. 5 mike x Oct 16th, 2008 at 10:51 pm

Not gonna tell you how big my dick is (all the rallies i have been to, or how long i have been involved in the motorcycle world) BUT FUCK ALL THAT SHIT ! Take your hard earned money and RIDE yourself on a great trip across OUR great country GO to the coast , GO see the mountains, OR grow a pair and go see Alaska. FUCK giving your money to some nigger like bruce fatmeyer or some other greedy fuckhead and watching a bunch of jack asses in traffic . The golden days have longed past and most of the rallies are the same boring shit , Take your friends with you and travel some where you aint been , go see all 50 fuckin states and be sure and vote. Stop buying the shit magazines while you are at it . mike x.

6. 6 Rodent Oct 16th, 2008 at 10:59 pm

You all are finally believing what I”ve been saying all these years….Cop attitude controls the rally and our opinion of it. If the cops are assholes don’t spend your money in the town and tell the merchants, city officials why. Stop being stupid..Don’t spend your money where you’re hated.Plain and Spimple.

7. 7 Tom R Oct 17th, 2008 at 6:00 am

I haven’t been since 1992 for bike week and I think it was 1994 for Biketoberfest so I cant comment on the current conditions. It was sure a great time in 1992. But to anyone who is going have fun, be careful!!!!! And stop in at the shark lounge let me know if they still have the shark tank under the stage!

8. 8 Nitrous Phil Oct 17th, 2008 at 2:53 pm

Gunrunner – well put.

Mj – you sure workin the promo for that show – do you even ride?

Tom R – Save the shark tank! Sure hope they don’t have friggin gold fish in there now.

9. 9 Wyked Illuzionz, LED Lights for Motorcycles Oct 17th, 2008 at 6:41 pm

Well, sad to say we are set up in Ormond Beach now and this event, by past standards, is dead. Not sure if it is the vendor fees, hotel rates, cops/tickets, or the “doom and gloom” all over the TV. We install LED lights on motorcycles and we walked around all of the Ormond Beach venues and they are all pretty much “crying the blues”. Hope this is just temporary. Hate to see the end of a long cherished tradition.

Wyked Illuzionz

10. 10 Lugnut Oct 17th, 2008 at 6:47 pm

I guess getting older always means that you think the best years have passed. In the case of bike ralies, I think I have to agree with Mike X above. I’ve been going to Myrtle since 1997, and I am glad I got to see how it was. You have to remember that the younger folks going today don’t have those memories. They see all the bikes and smell the fumes and think that it just doesn’t get any cooler.

I can sit around and bitch about the passing of the muscle cars in the early 70’s. Meanwhile, the younger dudes go out and hop up a every other Civic and love doing it.

I guess my point is that times change, but the good old days are right now.

Isn’t it a bitch that the old farts bithching about the noise at rallies were prety much in their 20’s in 1970. I am pretty sure that our grandmothers and mothers were far cooler people than this current crop of old farts.

11. 11 Wyked Illuzionz, LED Lights for Motorcycles Oct 17th, 2008 at 7:56 pm

Hey Lugnut,

Guess I’m having trouble letting go. The old scool biker culture is something that I have lived with and respected for over 30 years. Problem is…”they just don’t make em like they use to”!

Wyked Illuzionz