Myrtle Beach Rallies. Horry County Proposes New Restrictive Rules.

myrtlebeachrally2Horry County Council decided Tuesday in favor of new Bike Rally plans including capping the number of vendor permits and raising fees. The county’s effort to regulate the rallies comes after the city of Myrtle Beach passed a set of laws to eliminate the events. You know too well the reasons advanced to justify all this: residents complaining about too much noise, congestion and unruly behavior of some bikers. The proposal discussed Tuesday for the spring rally would restrict vendors only on lots more than 35 acres. It would allow 100 vendors east of the Intracoastal Waterway, 100 between the waterway and the Waccamaw River and 200 west of the river. Until now most of the nearly 400 vendors were located east of the waterway. The price of vendor permits would also rise: $1,500 for east of the waterway, $1,000 between the waterway and the river, and $500 west of the river. Last year, the permits cost $800. For the Atlantic Beach Bikefest, permits would cost $1,200 east of the waterway, $800 between the waterway and the river, and $400 west of the river. The time vendors can sell would also be reduced from 10 days to 5 days during the Harley-Davidson spring rally and from 5 days to 4 days during the Atlantic Beach Bikefest. Conclusion: everything is done to make both rallies unprofitable for vendors. And vendors being one of the reasons why bikers go to such events, the county is also trying hard at getting rid of both rallies.

28 Responses to “Myrtle Beach Rallies. Horry County Proposes New Restrictive Rules.”

1. 1 Nicker Jan 22nd, 2009 at 10:05 pm

RE: -Conclusion-

As you say:

“… residents complaining about too much noise, congestion and unruly behavior of some bikers…”

“… vendors being one of the reasons why bikers go to such events,…”

“…everything is done to make both rallies unprofitable for vendors. ..”

And so, they hope “their problem” will go away.

Well, where it may not be illegal to be an idiot, it can be illegal to act like one.
    I guess it all depend on who and where ya are.

2. 2 Sparky Jan 23rd, 2009 at 7:45 am

I would just say we move it to wilmington or some other coastal town where they would enjoy the revenue from all of these bikers….Bikers will not be stopped if we want to gather we will gather….

3. 3 Rogue Jan 23rd, 2009 at 8:17 am

Myrtle Beach Helmet Freedom Ride

Saturday February 28, 2009

Meet at the The Beaver Bar beginning at 11:00 AM. The ride will depart at high

Beaver Bar
    3381 Highway 17 Business
    Murrells Inlet , SC 29576
    (843) 357-6969

Participants will be given instructions and route details just prior to the
    departure of the ride.

All participants in this Helmet Freedom Ride do so as common adventurers.
    Local bikers may coordinate this ride but no one is considered a leader of
    this ride. All participants take responsibility for making their own decisions
    including, but not limited to, whether to participate and what equipment they
    choose to use or not such as safety equipment (helmets) or vehicle equipment

Rain Date March 7, 2009 at the Same Time and Place

4. 4 Bobberiz Jan 23rd, 2009 at 8:23 am

Screw them asswipes in Horry County S. Carolina come to a real Biker Event in Florida. The Brooksville Old School Biker Rodeo it’s on private property and for adults only. Check the web for info.

5. 5 Boss Hawg Jan 23rd, 2009 at 8:27 am

Hi Cyril,

To hell with it up there. You and I have tons of places to ride here in the south.

While checking out some other articles in Myrtle Beach, I run across this one on a Horry County Councilman, yesterday. You gotta love this one. Check it out! Horry County Councilman’s car towed and pants confiscated for loitering prostitution. Now he has been charged for soliciting prostitution.

One must wonder? Does Myrtle Beach and Horry County residents turn a blind eye to reality and prefer whore mongers over good ol motorcycle riders?

Boss Hawg

6. 6 rodent Jan 23rd, 2009 at 9:18 am

Screw the whores in horry county…All bikers and their supporters should BOYCOTT horry county.

7. 7 Jeff Nicklus Jan 23rd, 2009 at 10:35 am

Yet again I say …….. FUCK MYRTLE BEACH !

Over & Out,

8. 8 Mike Jan 23rd, 2009 at 11:58 am

You know honestly, there are too many rally’s anyways.

9. 9 just my opinion Jan 23rd, 2009 at 12:31 pm

I hated to see this happen. As a vendor in Myrtle my company made a lot of money there but if the truth be told the bikers will just find a town somewhere else and the rally will be on again. Maybe Charleston bike week or some where else. In the long run it really does not matter. The bikers will find a new place to party and the vendors will be there too. Sucks for those that have businesses in Myrtle that financially needed and appreciated us coming to there town and leaving loads of money.But that’s what happens if you let the village idiots run your city council. It has been writen that when good people do nothing bad will prevail. Well it seem that when smart people do nothing the idiots will prevail, I think that is exactly what has happened here.

10. 10 Nicker Jan 23rd, 2009 at 3:20 pm

“…seem that when smart people do nothing the idiots will prevail…”

Yap… on either side… Spot on!

In any human endeavor, a few will always spoil it for the rest.
    It’s axiomatic…!!!

11. 11 Kephas Jan 23rd, 2009 at 5:40 pm

Enough already about Myrtle. It’s over.

12. 12 Lee Wimmer Jan 23rd, 2009 at 5:45 pm

While I can appreciate everyone’s comments I would like to add my 2 cents. We moved here 3 years ago and then opened up a nice shop in Murrells Inlet. We have a large group of constituants that are PRO motor cycle and pro rally. We have gone to the majority of town meetings and done as much as we can to fight for the continuation of the rally. Personally I must spend several hours every day tring to defend this. We love the area and love the bikers that come to visit. Please understand there are only a handful of town idiots that want to put an end to the rally. There is a ton of “disinformation ” out there. You should have seen the crouds of people that came out to cheer us on during the toy run. Trust me bikers are STILL welcome here. We are doing the best we can to fight all this. So please don’t bad mouth all of us down here. We of course are boycotting the City itself. And I’m sure if we loose all the revenue from the rallies, that the mayor will get railroaded out of office when taxes go through the roof. But just to set the record straight more people than not want the bikers and their families. During the rally or anytime!

13. 13 spackler Jan 23rd, 2009 at 7:40 pm

You couldn’t pay me to go to Myrtle Beach.

14. 14 rah Jan 24th, 2009 at 2:03 am

the problem with this is here on the east coast we dont really have “BIG” rallys the only real big and good rallies are in Florida. that is great if you are in that area but if you are from nothern area, NJ NY
    it sucks. out west they have all kinds of nice rallies.

15. 15 WGS Jan 24th, 2009 at 5:10 am

Lee, I am sorry that you and the businesses like you will be loosing money because of the decisions of a few. In my home county we recently had a group of County Supervisors that were elected but certainly didn’t represent the people. Once you get these guys in there, well they are there. Like yours will be, these were defeated in the next election. But in the meantime you have them to deal with. Good luck with it all. The city of Myrtle Beach is a slum anyway but Horry county was and still is a neat place to visit.

16. 16 Wyked Illuzionz Jan 24th, 2009 at 11:45 am

rah: Have you ever been to Laconia or DelMarva Bike Week? HUGE East Coast Rallies. Johnstown PA also has a really good one. There are many more up and coming like the one each year in Erie PA.

Also, I am inclined to think that the Outer Banks Bike Week will grow rapidly as a result of Myrtle Beach ending (held in April, beach location). I can see it easily picking up the Myrtle Beach slack.

I was also a Myrtle Beach bike week vendor (LED lights at the Colonial Mall). I feel bad for the supportive Myrtle Beach area businesses, the show promoters, the vendors, etc. BUT I will not pay to be abused!

Myrtle Beach appears beautiful on the outside but not so pretty on the inside. It was a good run (68 years) but’s it’s over! Sad but true.

Wyked Illuzionz, LED Lights for Motorcycles

17. 17 Lee Wimmer Jan 24th, 2009 at 9:35 pm

Thanx, I appreciate your comments. The bottom line is WE are here 365 for the locals. We didn’t move here just to make a quick buck during the rally. I just get really pissed that a few elected jerks can make things so bad. And they portray things that are not true. There are a lot of buisness that really rely on the rally and this will be hard on them. We’ll be here no matter what. And everyone will be welcome.

18. 18 Lee Chapin Jan 26th, 2009 at 12:36 pm

Thanks for going to bat for the rally. We have always enjoyed the trip to the Southeast, and supporting our customers. I have always felt a responsibility to riders running our carbs, we need to be at all the events. It’s not just about making a buck, but making sure the riders are happy and safe. Hope to see you soon. We can
    talk in Cincy.

Lee Chapin
    Mikuni Carbs

19. 19 dragon Jan 26th, 2009 at 5:27 pm

what do u know a viilage idiot caught with his pants down and they are worryed a few bikers oh was the hooker chared or was it a freebie lmao

20. 20 dragon Jan 26th, 2009 at 5:27 pm

21. 21 just my opinion Jan 26th, 2009 at 7:38 pm

As i have said many times it is a damn shame that this is happening. The only ones that will suffer are the guys like lee Wimmer along with the other business owners that do want us there and depend on the money we spend while there. It’s not just bike shops or part dealers but resturant owner, car wash owner, gas stations, campgrounds, hotels and on and on. I hope this can be worked out some how but from where i am standing it don’t look good. some times people don’t realize what they have until its gone. Looks like the city council in myrtle can’t see the forest for all those damn trees in the way. Lee run for mayor, if you do post it here with a bank address and i will be the first to donate 100 dollars to help you get elected. Good Luck

22. 22 Lugnut Jan 27th, 2009 at 8:28 pm

Let me see if I have this straight. Myrtle Beach says the rallies are over, despite the glaringly obvious fact that Myrtle Beach does not sponsor the rallies and therefore can’t cancel them. Bikers decide that a few old farts in Myrtle Beach deserve to be taught a lesson by doing what the old farts want them to do – not show up.

Seems to me that those bikers that don’t show up are only proving what a bunch of wussies they are.

Come on wussies – show up. Most of the Rally didn’t happen in the city limits of Myrtle Beach anyway.

See you at SBB.

23. 23 John B Jan 28th, 2009 at 8:27 am

I agree with Lugnut. There are plenty of places around the city of Myrtle Beach that will continue to welcome the Harley Rally and I for one plan on going this year just as I have for the past 18 years. When the merchants in the city of Myrtle beach see that the surrounding areas benefit from the money we bikers spend and they have lost out they will change their tune. Call me a racist if you like, labels don’t bother me. In this PC world you can’t eliminate Black bike week without going after the Harley Rally even though Black bike week causes most of the problems. Most of the business owners I’ve spoken to welcome the harley rally, though they don’t say the same for the other rally gee I wonder why?

24. 24 TRUE SELF Jan 29th, 2009 at 8:38 pm

Does this actually suprise anyone here? I mean look at it they re-build the roller coaster to to tear the whole damn park down a few years later, for what? another hotel they are tryin to turn Myrtle Beach into some sorta damn retirement spot, I moved to Conway S.C. when I was 16 now I am 37 & have been at Myrtle Beach bike week almost every year since & I see it change a lil more every year. 4 months ago I moved to Oregon so this year I think I am gonna go to Sturgis for the first time,maybe there I will get that FEELING I had years ago at Myrtle Beach before everything started to change,But I will still miss goin to THE BOWERY,SBB,THE BROKEN SPOKE & ANGELO’s for the best damn steak in S.C. ,But maybe someday I will make it back to Myrtle Beach I’ll be the one sittin at the bar in The Bowery eatin Texas Pete & Popcorn,something they turned me onto about 10 years ago…..See Ya Myrtle Beach & Thanks to everyone I have drank with,partied with & done everything imaginable with(accept the hotel THE YACHTSMAN) who cares if I wasn’t a guest I was just swimmin ya did,nt have to throw me out,lol

25. 25 Dave Jan 30th, 2009 at 7:08 pm

As vandor I am soory to see it come to this. I made pretty good money. BUT also left lots of money there when paying $600 to park my RV etc for the 10 days. Hotels more than double their rates but that happens at most big rallies. I really feel for the businesses that have made huge investments in property etc that will be severely hurt by this crazy action. There are better ways to handle the problems. How about more law enforcement to deal with the problems that they say occur. I get a kick out of Horry County raising the fees so they dont lose any revenue. What about their business tax payers. I’m pretty sure the elected officials will be run out of office next election when the outcome of their stupid actions become reality. I will just go elsewhere to vend as I can’t afford to pay double fees, and the selling time reduced, AND the 35 acre restriction will most likely raise the rent we pay. I WONDER WHICH ELECTED OFFICIAL(s) own 35 acre sites?

26. 26 rodent Feb 1st, 2009 at 7:55 pm

Support the boycott as it makes a powerful message to other rip off goughing towns that have “Bike events”. It can happen to you also..We are a very mobile section of the public, motorcycles are easy to point to another area, town. Be nice to us or beware we’ll motor somewhere else. The big party is over, now it’s about bikers making choices. We’ll go there but we won’t go here. Get it?

27. 27 Nicker Feb 1st, 2009 at 11:57 pm

It’s a free country……
    So ya go where ya wanna go, but know that when your a guest, ya have-ta play by the host’s rules.

Now if the pro HD rally businesses are able to take over the city council and change the rules, Cool!

If not, ya go some place else.

BUT!!! ….. where ever ya go, act like ya would at home.
    A smart animal never soils it’s own nest.

28. 28 Sherri Feb 3rd, 2009 at 3:37 pm

This has nothing to do with Harley or the Harley rally. Everyone appreciates the way we ride, the money we spend, the friendships we make. They can’t say Harley… have your rally, but we’ll cancel the one the losers have as they wreak havoc on our streets. The losers that have no respect for themselves or anyone else.
    So, they send this message to them via us!
    I talked with the Coral Reef Beach Resort where we always stay, of course they welcomed us to return, we even received a 35% discount for booking more than 90 days in advance. (It’s not to late for your discount!) Online reservations only! Our kids love it at the Coral Reef… 10 on site pools, a bowling alley, large oceanfront rooms what’s not to love. As for me and my kids we will be there.
    There is a Harley rally all over the grand beach area. If you don’t want to follow the rules… stay out of the city limits. Everyone will still be rubbing elbows with everyone else.