David Uhl Tribute To “Red Dog” Warbird

This new piece by David Uhl was created to be a window into the past and hang next to the actual plane residing in a museum in Chandler, Arizona. In David’s words: “Ever since I painted “Ruth”, I have a special place in my heart for P-51s.  This plane is no exception. It is in perfect condition and was a true pleasure to render out in all of its glory. So continuing with the glory theme I put in a magnificent bank of afternoon clouds, and Lt. Norley reveling in his elements”. This painting was unveiled at the Barrett-Jackson auction in Scottsdale. To reserve your print, simply call 303-913-4840 or visit UHL Studios.

8 Responses to “David Uhl Tribute To “Red Dog” Warbird”

1. 1 ian Apr 4th, 2009 at 11:47 am

I had a flight in a P-51 over the Rhine in Germany last summer – an awesome machine – and great to see such a cool painting.

2. 2 rodent Apr 4th, 2009 at 8:12 pm

Dave, I think there is 3 more at the Hollister CA airport accross from CORBIN

3. 3 Kirk Perry Apr 4th, 2009 at 11:25 pm

How about a painting of Dago Red? That’s a P-51 isn’t it?
    I asked my brother-in-law, Lawrence, the 2001 (Edison) Energy Czar of California and aeroplane flight-simulator enthusiast, if he knew of “Dago Red” around the race circuit.
    He said, “Yea, …. everybody hates “Dago Red”.
    I ask him why. 🙂
    He said, “because they win all the races”.

4. 4 James(Kiwi) Apr 5th, 2009 at 2:36 pm

Check out the “Ruth” painting it has a Mustang,a Knuckle bobber (his own) and a georgous young woman (Ruth).
    All three are special.
    If you like Mustangs come to Warbirds over Wanaka in NZ. It is held every second year, the next one is in Easter 2010. Our $ is only .58 in yours so start buying.
    Also Wanaka is in he Southern Alps and a geat place to visit and ride a Motorcycle or just chill out.
    There are Spitfires,Hurricanes,Corsairs and lots of others.
    They have special guests, Chuck Yeager was one.They usualy have an Ace of some fame.

Hopefuly one day David Uhl will paint a Spitfire MK2 the most beautiful plane ever!! with a young lady and a Brough or maybe a Vincent.

Great painting, I enjoy his art and always look forward to his releases.

James (Kiwi)

5. 5 Gary Apr 6th, 2009 at 6:29 pm

Dago Red was built in my fathers shop at Chino airport more than 25 years ago and it is still winning races. It won last year but cut a pylon and was pumped down to 2nd.

6. 6 Kirk Perry Apr 6th, 2009 at 11:08 pm

I don’t know where I saw an interview about Dago Red (SpeedVision probably), but I do remember the pilot being interviewed right after a race.
    Quiet type of fellow, leaning against the wing- kept a low tone of conversation. Fearless though – quiet intensity like a carnival tent carny. Like a guy that regularly rode the “globe of death” on a motorcycle.
    I since heard that the planes motor was balanced and built-out to the maximum allowed cubic inches at all times.

Portrait worthy. Ya’ think?

7. 7 david uhl Apr 7th, 2009 at 9:02 am

It always amazes me how many motorcycle lovers are passionate about airplanes as well. I have witnessed the Dago race a few times at Reno, always a good show. I will be going back in September and willl be unveiling my next painting. The next commission is a F2G Super Corsair #53 It is the only one flying out of 5 ever built. Pretty amazing piece workmanship, 3000 hp 28 cylinders. They were designed to climb after kamikazes overtake them before they could dive. I will probably paint it racing at the last National Air Race in Cleveland in 49. Fun stuff indeed.

8. 8 Greg Rhodes Apr 9th, 2009 at 1:57 pm

Thought the following might be of interest to those of you who enjoy David’s work…

After attending countless motorcycle rallies over the past decade and meeting thousands of Harley-Davidson enthusiasts, one question keeps coming up — “Do you make posters or something more affordable?” Our response has always been that, with the exception of the 100th Anniversary project, we do not offer posters.

So without reducing the value of David’s Fine art program and taking away from the collectibility of the limited edition prints, we’re happy to announce that we’ve come up with a solution that should make everyone happy. In keeping with the superior quality of David’s Fine Art program, this is the first-ever comprehensive poster art program of this caliber.

For over 15 years, David Uhl and Danial James of Uhl Studios have created innovative imagery incorporated into a variety of licensed products. The expertise amassed over this time is reflected in these new works of art.

All posters are unframed , offset lithography on 100lb cover paper with a protective coating and are 24″ x 30″. Price is $39.95 per poster, plus shipping. Harley-Davidson Posters will be sold at participating authorized Harley-Davidson dealerships and directly through Uhl Studios.

Visit our website http://www.uhlstudios.com or email greg@uhlstudios.com to see the first ten posters.