Deep South Choppers Shockers

I told you before. All small shops eyeing the “Bobber” or “Chopper” limited edition production market, struggling to list these bikes under $20,000. And the heart of these bikes is almost always the Harley Engine 80”/Baker Transmission Combo. Deep South Choppers in Baton Rouge, LA wants you to know that they just introduced their first model as a manufacture. Called the “DSC Shocker, it’s available in 2 versions, “High Voltage” (left) so named because of its mini ape hanger bars, and the “Low Voltage” with drag bars. DSC mentioned to me that they make their frames, gas tanks, bars, battery box, etc. Both models are fitted with Carrera Racing Shocks (Very Bumpy Louisina roads?). Low Voltage MSRP is $ 19,900. High Voltage MSRP $ 20,500. Both bikes will be presented at the New-Orleans Easyriders Bike Show May 7-9 th. Deep South Choppers

17 Responses to “Deep South Choppers Shockers”

1. 1 Robert Zingler May 2nd, 2009 at 10:50 am

What’s new? Small shops should try something different to be perceived as…different.

2. 2 Bobfather May 2nd, 2009 at 11:29 am

So how about someone build that Bobber style motorcycle for under $20k AND still have an S&S powerplant in it. Oh, that’s right, we already do that. How’s that for different Robert? By the way, just curious. Have you ever run a small motorcycle/custom build shop? In an economic climate like we’re in right now doing something way off the norm costs money and could possibly be a huge financial mistake so what makes financial sense for most small shops is to build what we know will appeal to the custom motorcycle buying public. When the bucks are tight it doesn’t make sense as a business owner to try and re-invent the wheel, maybe improve on it a little but not totally re-invent it.

3. 3 James (Kwi) May 2nd, 2009 at 7:14 pm

Well that sure is not me, looks like a Rocker on bad drugs (As opposed to good ones)

Like the Flyrite Drifter, it is a Hard Tail but is so damn cool and with an S&S donkey.Not sure what the box is tho.The price is fair too.

Though the bastards would’nt sell me one of their very cool Tee’s
    First of all because it was free frieght and they would not do it to NZ!! but when I said fine I’ll pay the freight,They never responded.
    Now the shirt I wanted to buy has sold out..

Remember a Tee shirt or parts sale may leed to something bigger,every customer is important.
    Especialy in these turbulent times!!!

The little guy has spoken…

James ( Kiwi)

4. 4 BikeBiz May 2nd, 2009 at 10:44 pm

What I see here is, someone’s dream becoming a reality. Not everyone can pursue their dreams and actually follow thru. I don’t care of you build bikes or bird houses!! What should also be realized is that, it’s the indie shops scattered from here-to-there that keep the other small business owner IN BUSINESS. Somewhere, there is shop having custom parts made from a guy who lost his job. Now….. that laid-off guy is running a machine shop out his garage b/c he still needs to feed his family. Most of the large manufactures (the ones we all know) started in somewhat the same way. As their business grows, there is the opportunity to employee more people. That’s a good thing, right?
    So my finial comment is this – It takes guts to go out on a limb when all you hear from the media is how everything is going downhill for us (the consumer). All business’ have to start somewhere. I would like to think that their product will speak for itself. I guess if I (or we) see them on the road…….we will know.

5. 5 harry May 3rd, 2009 at 6:27 am

To Bobfather: I’m wondering (and I’m not saying this in a disrespectful or sarcastic manner either, cause your opinion counts as a custom bike builder/businessman), but what are the alternatives to the 80 CI HD Evo for an affordable engine and keep the price of an entry level custom somewhat affordable to Joe and Jane Q Public? Everyone thinks that Revtech’s are junk, I’m not entirely sold on Utilma engines (even though some folks that are considered reputable use them) and the S & S engines seem on the expensive side. I know that you have used S & S engines in a lot of your bikes, is it more affordable to you as a bike builder to buy them as opposed to a guy on the street like myself? I hope you don’t take this as a sign of disrespect or me being a know it all (cause I’m not), otherwise I wouldn’t be asking these questions.

6. 6 pabstblurigid May 3rd, 2009 at 10:32 pm

after sifting thru this blog for what seems forever (months & years), i feel obliged to say…

“bobfather, you are truly a douche. if ever i was to seek a true definition of a pompous ass, your name would immediately come to mind?”

i quote, from your most recent post “I’m still trying to understand why any Indy shop or builder would support H-D by using their motors for anything. Maybe those shops/builders don’t realize the efforts H-D has gone through to kill off every Indy shop and/or aftermarket builder? Personally that rankles me more than a little. I wouldn’t use their motors if they were the last ones making V-Twins. One because to me supporting them is like feeding the enemy when they’re trying to kill off my entire industry. Two because those motors have nothing for power and torque..”

well, dumbass…if not for our beloved in Milwaukee…you’d have no “improved” S & S mill, no Merch, no Ultima or whatever you’re gonna run…don’t forget other than the “wedge” – ALL that S &S and the others did was “improve” Harley’s already patented designs….flattie, knuck, pan, slabside/nosecone, evo and so on…all because of HDMOCO, son.

before you start your usual soapbox justifications or rationalizations, or tell me i know “nothing of what it’s like”…just know i too have been in the biz for over 25 years and have been there, done that, got the t-shirt & the picture…and have been regularly published in various magazines.

enuff of that though? i need not justify my observations and i am far too reserved & humble to engage you.

i love life, motorcycles and while i do not always agree with what HDMOCO is “sellin” – i still respect them and the admirable feat of 100 plus years of continuous production.

7. 7 Grayhawk May 4th, 2009 at 2:25 am

The thing about the postings above is in my opinion your all right from your point of view from the standpoint of how you perceive or have been impacked by the big corporate motor company and its many sides of reflection.

No doubt you can buy the motor from HD as an individual or small up and coming Indy as the quantites and surplus/overstock of same are there and as such Harley dealers may discount from MSRP to move the product as they the HD dealers are encouraged some say pressured to repeat or beat their parts buys and hopefully sales each and every year a viscious cycle but in this point good for the little guy. Thunder Mountain is not buying nearly as many drive trains as before for their buiIds I am assuming so this adds more available drive train components and econoims slowdown sales percentages as possibly creating good pricing reduction opportunities.

Harley like most major manufacturors of anything can build cheaper with larger quantity pricing breaks so they also want to keep voulme up for all the obvious reasons.

From the standpoint of Harley trying to put the little guy out of business very true also, just ask anyone who has been nailed for possible infringement on an anything close to a Harley patent or not even that, say name or any facimile of same, i.e. Hog Heaven/Hog Hollow or sounds like for anything for example, ah the wrath of Judge Judy and company.

Better have the bucks to fight as even if your right you can not stay in the fight so those wounds run deep. In the early days they wanted any and all referencing their name just to keep it in the public eye now like a kid clinging to his/her candy..

It is one thing to go after somebody who is duplicating your Rolex watch another some small entity doing a bit of piggy backing and usually servicing some of your product that dealers do not have the capacity/inhouse techs to work on them all anyway. That has good and bad impact on the motor company of course they only see the lost revenue from loss of service customer and the little guy likes the customer work coming in his/her store.

You know like any retailer if you can get a customer in the store you can upsell them which we all do or should do that. Thus Harley has made some good business decisions going after some, some not so good business decisions on those they go after to the point of down right bulling. So I see both sides on this one.

8. 8 Psycho Drew May 4th, 2009 at 9:44 am

Bobfather can take a large bore piston in his ass.Single cam evos are bullet proof and with small mods can be pumped up in the 90’s in horsepower and torque very easily.Have been hammering mine for 14 years just did a topend job and the motor looked fine.Bored her out 10 over and threw in some 10:1 KB domes and she’s rocking on.When I want to rule we break out with the 127 but not good in traffic.Motor needs some room to run.Not a red light to red light motor.

9. 9 Psycho Drew May 4th, 2009 at 9:47 am

Harry ulitima motors are fine motors,Have had a 127 for 3 years broke a few wheels with it but no motor probs.They are torque monsters.My bubs 124 s$s can’t hang.

10. 10 dancruise May 4th, 2009 at 4:13 pm

I’ve been reading all the post about this and the N.O bike week. Seems like the show is going to be cool. As far as this DSC Schocker goes, i like it and think it looks cool and the price is within my budget. So I plan on getting a good feel for the bike while down in N.O. I am looking forward to it. The show and the shocker!

11. 11 Chopper Kid May 4th, 2009 at 5:40 pm

Not too bad but I why is the high voltage $600 more dollars than the low voltage, just because of mini apes? A couple foot of steel and a few more cuts and a little more welding= $600??? Are the motors different like one silver and polished and the other black and chrome.
    And to throw in my 2 cents on motors, if you are on a budget buy the silver and pol HD 80 and put a cam in it, or for the price of an S&S have an engine shop in your area build you a motor. A motor built by a reputable engine builder will run smoother and produce better power than any high production crate motor when comparing apples to apples..

12. 12 Ben May 7th, 2009 at 2:56 pm

I remember swinging by that shop in the summer of 2007 wanting to check out a flyrite bobber, and was told by the owner that they were working on their own bobber that would be better and cheaper. Now I don’t know what their defination of better is, but they are definately not cheaper. Needless to say due to the way they treated me I will never buy one of their bikes.

13. 13 dancruise May 7th, 2009 at 10:22 pm

To Ben,

I was at the N.O show today, and took a look at the DSC Shocker for myself. Both of the owners were there and my wife and I were treated damn good! Since I am in the bobber market, I also checked into the FR. I have several friends who at one point in time owned a FR and they have had problems. Everything from the frontend, handel bar switches …to the paint ( or powder coating). All had compliants, and when they called the company, about the frontend slap – they were told “thats just the way they ride”. So Im guessing that you own a FR? Hows that bike ride on the interstate at 75 mph? By the time you add all the options to a FR, you are now at the base price of the shocker. I have not made a purchase yet, but the shocker is on top of my list.

14. 14 Ben May 8th, 2009 at 9:11 am

no, I don’t own a FRC but would like to soon. I haven’t heard anything about front end slap, bad switches, or anything negative about them from anyone who owns one. As for ride quality, it’s a rigid and will perform accordingly. Also they are built with a better engine, and the 6 speed baker as opposed to the 5 speed. All things aside price is the key point here, one could buy a base line FRC with no options, put a custom paint job, “better” switches and whatever else and come out cheaper than DSC. That being said I have no affiliation with FRC and am just using them as an example, there are others who meet a better price point and have, what I believe, better style such as Brass Balls as well as a multitude of small local shops like Z-Bros. This is not meant as an insult to you, or anyone else who likes these bikes. One likes what they like, however this is a rant towards one more shop flooding the market with over priced gear.

15. 15 Richard May 9th, 2009 at 8:15 pm

First of all, The FR has an Ultima 6 speed NOT a Baker. (with the tank slap you wont get to the 6th gear). If your going to compare 2 bikes then you need to compare bikes that are alike. Apples to apples,not apples to oranges.Dont get me wrong,FR is a decent bike,but the DSC Shocker is a better buy.(in my opinion).I went to the show in New Orleans and sat on the Shocker absolutly loved it! The fact that you can have a “Bar Hopper” that wont kill my kidneys……Thank You.

16. 16 Nicker May 9th, 2009 at 11:07 pm

“… more shop flooding the market with over priced gear…”

Isn’t that a contradiction in economic terms?
    “Flooding” is about Killing a market with under priced stuff to drive out the competition.
    If ya “flood” the market with overpriced stuff the only one getting driven out is you.

Did i miss something here…….???

17. 17 burnout May 9th, 2009 at 11:16 pm

LA has the worst roads I have ever ridden a bike on. DSC most likely test rides their bikes on such roads. The have been around for a while, build REALLY cool bikes and most importantly they CARE. peace