Michael Lichter’s 9th Sturgis Exhibition

lichterexhibition1

Art & motorcycles. Motorcycles as art and culture. iconic photography and memorabilia. These are always the themes of Michael Lichter’s exhibitions, and the last one in Sturgis was, without a doubt, the most complete and the richest in terms of historic and monetary value. In a new 6500 square foot Lichter Hall now permanently housed at the Buffalo Chip, this year’s Sturgis exhibit entitled “Rebel Rousers, Motorcycle Icons that Inspire Us to Ride’ showcased the most important collection of motorcycles and art to be ever displayed during the Rally. Hundreds of professional guests, then several thousands guests visited the exhibition from August 1st to 8th.

lichterexhibition2Focused on the history of iconic motorcycle imagery that inspired many to ride, were on display iconic motorcycles, art and movie memorabilia. Visitors got a chance to see the only Captain America motorcycle to survive from the film (authenticated by Peter Fonda) and Billy Bike replica, both from the 1969 counter culture Easy Rider movie. Also on display were motorcycles from the early 60’s like the Honda Superhawk similar to the one used in Elvis Presley’s film Roustabout and ridden by Robert M. Persig in the iconic book Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, the original motorcycle that Mickey Rourke was riding in “Harley-Davidson and the Marlboro Man” and the original “Renegade” bike used by Lorenzo Lamas in the TV series “Renegade”. Today’s custom builders were also represented with Jesse James’ “Camel Bike”, Orange County Choppers “POW Bike” and Indian Larry’s “Wild Child” Biker Build-Off bike.

“I’m ecstatic with the show this year. I’ve been working on it for months and it’s good to see a wide array of people coming and taking it in,” said Lichter. “I loved the historic perspective of this year’s exhibition and I am already working on next year’s show.” Michael Lichter Photography.

19 Responses to “Michael Lichter’s 9th Sturgis Exhibition”

1. 1 BREWdude Aug 20th, 2009 at 6:54 am

The Lichter Exhibition was unbelievable. The bikes ranged from Malcolm Smith’s Husky (1 of my fav) to a wall of death bike sitting atop the original crate from many years past. The walls were covered with posters, stories, ads and much more. My son Chad and I spent over 3 hours just reading the walls! Very very nice and a must see!!

2. 2 John E Adams Aug 20th, 2009 at 7:49 am

Kudos to Michael, what a beatuiful display!!

3. 3 BREWdude Aug 20th, 2009 at 9:13 am

BTW. the pic above shows the wall of death bike sitting on the crate.

4. 4 krugger Aug 20th, 2009 at 9:19 am

Thanks to Michael to share his passion!

That was a great time, good atmosphere and cool people!

5. 5 Jaxon 5 Aug 20th, 2009 at 10:51 am

Wow,
    Always the BEST at what he does. Congratulations for another awesome display and gathering of custom bikes. Always a ‘have to go see’ in Sturgis. Year in – year out, always an awesome place to go !!!!!!!! (great party too:)
    Great job Michael !

6. 6 Blue Aug 20th, 2009 at 12:34 pm

Hats off to you, Michael. Would have loved to have been there – next year, maybe. Keep out of the fog. 😉
    Blue

7. 7 jerry Aug 20th, 2009 at 4:55 pm

What happened to Billy Tinney, he was an earley photographer for easyryder? And his pictures? And Pet Chado?

8. 8 Roadside Marty Aug 20th, 2009 at 6:07 pm

I have to agree with Brew and the others,this exhibit was truly one of the best I’ve ever seen!!! Thanks again for everything Mike…Roadside

9. 9 Rogue Aug 21st, 2009 at 6:22 am

As always Michael did a Great Job with his Exhibition as all those who saw it will agree.
    For those of you that did not get the opportunity to see it this year do yourself a favor and make it in the future.
    Michael as always it was a pleasure to see you and your family.
    Rogue

10. 10 Mike Kiwi Tomas, Kiwi Indian Motorcycles Aug 21st, 2009 at 8:37 am

1st class and well done Michael. Always a highlight of Sturgis. Congrats to Ron Woodward for dedicating a building just for Michael. Tip of the old hat to both of you

11. 11 Rodent Aug 21st, 2009 at 10:26 am

Yeah, Billy Tinney shot the first mammery shot ever published in ER. His showed me the spot he shot it on Dirty Harry’s Pier on the top of Main St in Daytona..He was an original ER photgrapher and Michael came later. Now,Billy is editor of ER’s Tattoo magazine. Pete was a feature photgrapher for ER.

12. 12 Dave Crago Aug 21st, 2009 at 5:00 pm

Amazing work in everything I look at of Michael’s. I would have loved to have been there. I hope to go next year.

13. 13 gina woods Aug 21st, 2009 at 11:10 pm

Was a great event…..even with the rain!. Michael does a top notch job always…..was nice to see so many friends in the industey and many others in one place enjoying his talents!
    Congrats ML

14. 14 Mike Kiwi Tomas, Kiwi Indian Motorcycles Aug 22nd, 2009 at 9:21 am

Woody, my apologies for messing up your sir name. It certainly was outstanding of you to dedicate a building to Michael

15. 15 david uhl Aug 22nd, 2009 at 5:00 pm

Congratulations for the permanent home! Michaels shows not only stimulate the senses, they inspire unique insights as to origins of some of the pinnacles of our industry. Keep them coming

16. 16 Kevin "TEACH" Baas Aug 24th, 2009 at 7:40 am

A++++ as always Michael, thanks for letting me be a part of it again this year!

17. 17 bean're Aug 24th, 2009 at 7:58 am

I have to say one of my favorites was the Triumph like Marlon Brando rode in “The Wild One”- complete with trophy on the handlebars. That brought back alot of memories.
    Then again all you shows have given me many great memories!

18. 18 Living Shadow Aug 24th, 2009 at 8:26 am

Michael WHOA WHAT A MOVING EXPERIENCE,! YOU ALWAYS OUT DO YOURSELF ! I PERSONNALLY ENJOYED THE ART COMBINED WITH THE BIKES AND THE STORIES , TOOK ME BACK THEN FORWARD ! THE QUALITY OF YOUR WORK IS UNSURPASSED, APPRECIATED BY ALL THERE WHILE I WALKED THROUGH WITH A FRIEND , STOPPED SO MANY TIMES , ALL I FELT WHEN I ENTERED WAS POSITIVE ENERGY ! APPRECIATIVE ONLOOKERS AND NO ONE IN A HURRY TO LEAVE ! I LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING MORE !
    WOODY…. KUDOS TO YOU IT WAS GREAT THAT YOU PUT SUCH A LOCATION AT THE CHIP !

19. 19 Walt Lumpkin Aug 24th, 2009 at 11:29 am

Great exhibit, great party, great people.
    Thnx for the invite Michael. See you on
    the road.

Thrifty Rent-A-Car System, Inc.
Affliction Holdings, LLC