China Vision Of America

I wrote before about Free Trade. And I am for it, but only if it is Fair Trade. And we all know that it’s not the case. And because it’s not, I got somewhat upset when I received a mass emailing with these pictures as attachments. Look as the young Chinese above. No, she is not trying to show you that she loves American burgers. As a matter of fact, she doesn’t care about America. She is holding a hamburger-shaped computer flash memory drive that she is trying to sell to me and to you at a fat American price and a very lean Chinese cost. As a kind of visual representation of  the Chinese motto “Americans, we are going to eat you alive” I found the picture quite ironic and provocative.

Then, I found out that the company is called China-Vision, probably because “China-Invasion” has evidently too much of a negative connotation. Then, I went to the website, found out that they have an office only in Bejing (good luck if your $40 flash drive never works), but they promise they will answer your questions ( before you order) in English at Bejing time (GMT +8) because you are all supposed to know your local GMT time wherever you live on US territory! Look at the team picture. They have a very young, nice and smiling team. I understand the smiling part especially after I checked that theirwebsite traffic coming from US residents ordering their junk is quite big. And I got nervous thinking that very soon I am going to receive an email from China selling the motorcycle parts that my fellow builders and myself created 6 months ago, but at 1/10th of our price, with a service available in China at GMT+8, with a staff of Chinese teenagers dressed as bikers (picture included to look real) who will answer all your questions before you buy. Not after. When you receive the part and have a problem, just contact by email your preferred “American Internet Motorcycle Dealer”.  He will answer for free to all the questions you wanted to ask to your Chinese vendor. ChinaVision.

32 Responses to “China Vision Of America”

1. 1 Dave Blevins Sep 2nd, 2009 at 8:58 am

I’ll have the rice burger flash drive with a side order of stolen American technology.
    I can’t wait for that big new 3 rivers dam of theirs to burst.

2. 2 big will Sep 2nd, 2009 at 10:40 am

Its important to buy american now and at every opportunity we get a chance. I say Fuck Them and the Chinsee (Chinese) products they pedal. Fucking Chinsee Junk Pedalers.

3. 3 Todd8080 Sep 2nd, 2009 at 2:19 pm

Don’t get me started. Really, don’t.

4. 4 Fluke Sep 2nd, 2009 at 3:49 pm

China holds so much US debt they could bankrupt the US overnight. over 3000 billion Dollars of it.

Japan has another 2500 billion $ of it. Both are growing daily.

The US government has its hands tied trying to protect the US economy. If China gets pissed with the US and dumps that debt we will all be eating out of dumpsters within a month.

When those 350$ “Quality products from Californian craftsmen) Arlen Ness Handlebars are made by poor some poor Thai peasant in Bangkok on just 2500k income a year something has to be done.

People need to insist they know where their parts are made before buying. It is up to Joe and Jane Consumer to fix this. The government can’t.

5. 5 semi-anon Sep 2nd, 2009 at 3:59 pm

yawn- your computer wasn’t made here. or your tv or most likely your stereo because you didn’t want to pay for american audio products.

maybe it’s time for the jurassic era to end in the mc business.

fender and gibson seemed to figure it out by beating the copycats at their own game. open plants in third world and cheap labor countries, copy thier own designs, and sell them for cheaper. a jap strat is better and more expensive than a chinese/korean or mexico made one. but fender and gibson also still make the usa models and sell them at a premium.

most of the country could care less about this issue and the next generation won’t even know this was once an issue at all. it’s a global economy- you need to either adapt or get out of the business.

nobody is going to bail you out and the hypocrisy is laughable. half your belongings are probably chinese made, because they’re cheap and you wanted it. you cannot have it both ways where bikers only buy expensive USA parts but you buy chinese televisions and radios with the cash you make.

6. 6 Chris Sep 2nd, 2009 at 4:31 pm

“Avoid offensive, vulgar, or hateful language. Respect others.”

Does that only apply to the comments? Shouldn’t it apply to the articles too?

Semi-Anon: well put.

7. 7 CA Sep 2nd, 2009 at 8:43 pm

While in Japan I was told by a store owner that it was against the law for Americans to buy American products. That was a sad statement. He was just bringing to light the issue of Americans reliance on products made in Asia. In my opinion, it is the American way to develop a product in America; then sell to the highest bidder! Good old American capitalist greed. Don’t get me wrong I do believe American businesses making money in America. Capitalist at is best, is when a an American company such as Hershey Chocolates laid off thousands + or – to become more profitable by producing in Mexico. I can get really pissed off for them doing this but who’s to say if I was a CEO I would be looking at profits. More power to them if American government allows this to happen without an extra tax “NAFTA”.

8. 8 Dale Franks Sep 2nd, 2009 at 8:53 pm

Ho-hum. We heard this stuff about the Japanese in the 1980s.

It was alarmist, then, too.

9. 9 Sheridan Sep 2nd, 2009 at 10:46 pm

What Fluke said above is the truth. The US Government currently borrows 1 billion dollars a day from China (and of course more from other sources as well) just to keep your country running, as it cannot even meet the interest payments on the foreign debt it already has amassed.

You can all do your best as individuals and small businesses to buy American made and good on you for doing so, but your Goverment will never do the same or they’ll very quickly have China on the phone telling them how high to jump…

10. 10 tattooeddmike Sep 3rd, 2009 at 7:52 am

If I might borrow from Todd8080, don’t get me started,………. on our present government…. The people in power, want to blame the past adminasstration, when they are 25 times worse!!! I’m talking about the debt that the American taxpayers, more likely future taxpayers!!! … Oh, yea,….
    don’t get me started!……..

11. 11 The Supreme Team Sep 3rd, 2009 at 10:01 am

Worst part of some of the Chinese stuff…it’s decent quality.
    Not in the case of motorcycle aftermarket…it’s pretty much all cast crap, but overall, there are some nice things coming out of there and it just kills me.

Our machine shop used to do roughly 30000 units per year of different variations of throttle shafts for an alternative fuel carburetion company. Go figure if we haven’t seen our business with them go from $380K average for 10 years, down to $20K or less per year.
    When I went to drop some parts one time, I saw a pallet of parts there we had prototyped just a year earlier…all in from China. I snuck a box open and looked and sure as hell…just as nice as ours.

As far as aftermarket in this industry, it’s tough to keep it American, but we do. Alcoa or Kaiser aluminum on every control we sell…no Chinese junk.
    I try to tell people, buy it right, or buy it twice, and believe me, there are those who are calling me after their first bad experience with a certain popular, um…we’ll call them a “casting company”.

At the end of it though, to many people, it’s affordability. Yeah…we carry an 18 month warranty, and yes, pretty likely you’ll talk to me personally on the phone if you ever have an issue, but for a guy on a budget, or who’s been “lucky” thus far, I just can’t compete with a $200 set of cast junk.

We will still plug away, and we will not compromise the quality of our parts for competitions sake. We’d rather take a lesser margin and succeed in quantity, without lessening our quality.

Nothing worse than a guy throwing 3 months in to a build and putting a Chinese cherry on top.
    Though, as soon as I see a set of controls on aisle 6 at the local Wal-mart…I’m outta here

Just my .02.

12. 12 Greg Hoeve Sep 3rd, 2009 at 10:43 am

So what’s your point? You can pump all you want but the tides is still rising. The best you can do is look out for yourself, same as always. Griping about what the govt. should do is like pushing a rope uphill. It’s useless at this point to look for or demand from washington any effective action to help as they are already bought and paid for.

13. 13 just my opinion Sep 3rd, 2009 at 1:20 pm

buying an american product is a vote for an american job.
    buying a chinese product is a vote for a china mans job.
    Vote for the person you want to have the job.
    It is really just that simple.

14. 14 David Sep 3rd, 2009 at 1:39 pm

First of all Dale Franks it’s your Ho-Hum attitude along with a lot of other people that has gotten us into this mess in the first place. If we would have woke up in the 1980’s with the Jap thing we would be in a better place now. Is there any reason that we shouldn’t be the worlds best and brightest manufactures?
    Now the Greg Hoeve it’s your piss poor attutide that believes it’s all over and we should all fall in line and follow the next guy with your nose up his butt!!( Think thats why Cyril came here?)You always have your Voice and Your Vote to change the way things are!! Have you ever heard of a TEA PARTY or a PROTEST how about just going to a meeting with your elected officals.
    Everyone on this list should be watching or listening to Fox news wirh Glenn Beck or Bill O’Reilly. Don’t wait for the Progressives to lead you down their road as you will be working just to feed and house someone else. Think you would be able to buy a new Harley then or have a chance to maybe buy a bike from Cyril? I think not.
    Be pro active and keep your rights while you still can.Stand up and fight what the founding fathers put into place and fought and died for back in 1776.

15. 15 TPEvans Sep 3rd, 2009 at 9:04 pm

The fellow above that mentioned the Fenders and Gibsons might have a point. My son is pretty heavy into the guitar. We have bought a few. I go out of my way to find the American Strat or Tele and know up front I will pay more for it. I willingly do because it is worth more. In fact, I avoid the Japanese Strats and the Mexican Strats. Its pretty easy to avoid the Japanese versions because they pretty much sell out the Japanese production in Japan. I am sure they are damn good. The Mexican Strats fill up the music stores here in the US. And they do sell – primarily to beginners on a budget. Every Strat buyer has a goal an American made Strat and the older the better.

So, can I see a big old “Made in USA” stamp on stuff made here? I’d love to have it. I would look for it. Its hard to find.

By the way, once the EPA, OSHA, the Tort Lawyers, and the politicians get done with us, we won’t make anything here. We are destined to cut each others hair and sell insurance. Lets face it, if you come up with a good idea for a product that needs to be manufactured, and you note the army of attorneys lined up to sue the hell out of you the next time a line worker burns his lip on a hot cup of coffee in the break room, what are you going to do? Risk your entire personal net worth? I would say you are going to do what Steve Jobs does with the Ipod – carry your nifty world class idea to a factory in China.

We did this to ourselves.

16. 16 buck Sep 3rd, 2009 at 10:34 pm

I am down to the ground with the Chinouise. The make stuff cheap and sometimes it works. I also like the cuisine and the ladies. Guys, stop your hatin’.

Cyril, didn’t you marry a chinese lady?

Bring the tech here… is already coming whether you want it or not. HD is on the way!

China forever, forever China!

17. 17 J Sep 3rd, 2009 at 10:39 pm

LOL- you guys really think that China WANTS to hold our debt?

This your first economic war?

China holds our paper.

That we are paying them crap interest on.

We’re also the majority of their GDP.

They HAVE to buy our crappy paying paper.

Have all you want, boys.

What do you really think they can do with our paper?

Sell it?

Why do you think they are trying to buy oil in lieu of US paper?

Who’s really winning this war?

China- makes some decent cheap stuff, but not the most sophisticated country financially…….

Think about it……

18. 18 Dale Franks Sep 3rd, 2009 at 11:19 pm

I find that rather hard to believe, considering that we managed to strip the Japanese of all their big US investments from the 1980s, getting them back for pennies on the dollar. For all the talk about “Japan Inc.” in the 1980s, by the end of the 1990s, we’d skinned them like hayseeds at a midway.

And quite frankly, J has it right above. The Chinese have to buy our paper, or they have to go screw.

So, they are giving us stuff for a bunch of paper IOUs that we will–probably–pay back. Or not.

The way things are going, it looks like we’ll skin them alive through currency risk and inflationary loss.

Oh, and by the way, globalization has created more US jobs than have been lost, so it’s been a net GAIN for the US. No, really. The Bureau of Labor statistics releases the numbers every month. You can look it up.

19. 19 just my opinion Sep 4th, 2009 at 10:09 am

wake up

It is not a good deal if the jobs lost are high paying jobs and the jobs gained are walmart jobs.
    Any number can be made to look better, but the reality is that we as americans are getting screwed.
    I don’t know about the rest of you, but I don’t think standing at the door of walmart greeting people is a good job. I bet that machinist that used to work for the auto industry does not think it is a good job either. Net gain———-Bull Shit

20. 20 David Sep 4th, 2009 at 1:09 pm

We have been sending alot of bombs and ammunition and weapons overseas for awhile now.(It’s too bad we send the boys along with it) That stuff is all made here in the USA.It does keep those guys working long and hard. The gun and ammo business here in the USA is also at top speed on production.Maybe that is where the numbers are coming from!!
    The auto industry got a shot in the arm from “cash for clunkers” which proped them up for a moment along with the “unions”(OBAMA’s VOTER PAYBACK) all at TAX PAYER expense.
    Walmart jobs are better than no jobs and TAX PAYERS supporting those people. Besides it brings in more junk from China and other Asian countries. But it’s not just WalMart,there are so many other stores that also handle Asian products. Even Levis used to be made here in Texas(Amarillo)and now they are made in MEXICO (Thanks to NAFTA). Even my Ralph Laren Polo shirts are made in Asia. I wonder if there is any clothing still made in the USA. I did buy a new pair of New Balance shoes the other day and they were MADE IN USA.

21. 21 Chopper Kid Sep 4th, 2009 at 10:41 pm

We can only be responsible for ourselves. What everybody else is doing shouldn’t matter or be our excuse for doing the not buying american when we can. It is like a a bumper sticker I saw on a welder in a magazine article. “Out of a job yet, keep buying foreign” There isn’t much of a middle class anymore, unless both people work lots of OT.

22. 22 Chopper Reid Sep 5th, 2009 at 4:57 pm

Make something good & cheap enough that Americans want to buy instead of whining like a bunch of b!tches! Waaaaah Waaaaaaaaaah I want to get paid a lot & people have to buy what I make or else they are un-American! Boo Hoo for you!

Survival of the fittest! Life’s tough, deal with it!

23. 23 Dale Franks Sep 5th, 2009 at 10:28 pm

Well, since that isn’t what’s happening, we’re pretty much OK. Globalization has increased jobs in America’s export industries. Not at local retail outlets.

24. 24 mark Sep 7th, 2009 at 7:50 am

sumed up PLEASE TRY TO BUY MADE IN USA,it will help

25. 25 Wiz Sep 7th, 2009 at 8:29 am

Sitting at a stoplight on my HOMEBUILT American made motorcycle [granted some parts on it are made overseas, you can’t get away from it] looking at the vehicles around me are; Toyota, Nissan, Kia, Missubitchie [you know, the people who built the Zero that bombed Pearl Harbor] Chrysler, and a Ford. So what’s that, a four to one ratio? I wonder if they drive them Jap contraptions [oh don’t let me forget Hondas, Suzukis, and Kawasakis] on the 4th of July or on December 7th? “But they are built in a US plant.” Yeah right, but where are the profits going? “It runs cheaper, is better quality and is less expensive than the American original.” Sellout is still a sellout, tell it to Judas! Sure there are better dicks out there than mine, but I’m happy with what I got ‘cuz it’s MINE! I still get all tore up seeing a big Harley-Davidson sticker on a Toyota, or an American flag waving on the back end of a Honda Goldwing! You gotta take pride in something and I choose AMERICA!!! I am willing to Buy and Die for it!! Wiz

26. 26 Wiz Sep 7th, 2009 at 8:39 am

Excuze me, a four to two ratio. I get a little worked up sometimes. God grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change [other peoples buying habits], The Courage to change the things I can [buy American], And the Wisdom to know the difference [read the labels]! W{made in USA]iz

27. 27 adam@customfighters Sep 7th, 2009 at 10:46 am

Americans are such a bunch of lazy assholes. China makes more product for cheaper because people over there are willing to work, whether or not the job is “beneath them”. They are constantly progressing and checking out new technology. As someone said before, the machined parts were just as good as his american made ones.

Blame it on the government. Blame it on Obama. Never take a second and reflect on yourselves and those around you though. Why do that?? Maybe realize that Americas problems are bigger than the fucking government and the suits “running” it….break it down, look at EVERY individual. Fat, lazy, in debt..and all for what?? Living the “american dream” two car garage, SUV, kids, dog and endless fucking debt. Now that you’ve lost your job and can’t make your payments you need to blame someone. Someone must be held RESPONSIBLE! Look at your self.

To make things better in our country, we must start with each and every individual. Every one of my friends KNOWS that I’m an asshole. If you’re being a lazy POS, I will happily tell you. Get off your asses america, work toward something, do something productive. The ethics of the 50’s are gone and this new crop of americans are whiny, sue-happy, lazy, welfare leeching wastes of oxygen. And there are exceptions to the rule – myself, and many people on this board are proactive, hardworking Americans, but generally speaking, americans are just hoping that money is going to fall into their laps without earning it.

That makes me sad/mad.

28. 28 Me.... Sep 8th, 2009 at 3:53 pm

I looked it up – It’s actually called “chinavAsion” (like invAsion)..’scary’ name…

PS- I still love drivng my Dodge and riding my Harley ..and I like working at my American job ..oh yeah -AND I’m American-Made!! 🙂

29. 29 David Sep 8th, 2009 at 9:20 pm

I think “no I know” wiz and adam have got it right on the nose!!!

30. 30 Grayhawk Sep 9th, 2009 at 10:10 am

We didn’t really skin the Japanese they skinned themselves. A recap from the past, wriiten about 10 years or so ago. Link Below;

In regards to the Chinese they are a much different country of proportions unknown before that may well be more domestic need driven than exporting to a mere country of less than 300 million when one compares to a base 2 billion population and consumption-aholic in growth gear mode.

At best maybe just a shorter term need for exporting and the purchasing power from the consumer of cheap from the US.

A bit of a lengthly read on links but pretty much rhetoric free

31. 31 Big Ted Sep 12th, 2009 at 10:04 am

“Mercantilism” didn’t work in the 18th/19th century (this is where you only buy your own products and nothing from the other guy…eventually the other guy cannot buy your stuff and your economy and his tanks).

The name of the game is to become what is known as a “tertiary” economy..(which the U.S. is becoming according to plan)….this is where you give up making basic goods and polluting your environment and go on to making goods that require a much higher level of sophistication ie: bio tech and other technolgy goods…which sell for 1000 times the price of basic goods, however you must allow the other guy to make and sell his “basic goods” so he can buy your stuff. Ameriica is far ahead of all in this regard.

One shouldn’t worry too much about the “score board” in terms of overseas debt etc. as it is really only a measurement system, the chinese have as much or more to lose from declining to buy more of our paper.

The actual “winner” in the economy game is the country that can arrive at a system where by the majority of its citizens are employed and enjoying the fruits of an economy and social system that provides them with all the so-called necessities ie: goods, services, health care, low crime rate, low poverty levels, effecitive social services and a clean environment.
    The boobs at Fox news are uneducated (as are those that recommend them) and do not have any sophisticated understanding of the prime objectives and how they are truly arrived at. In fact they are proto typical fascists.
    Education and learning will set you free.

32. 32 Grayhawk Sep 12th, 2009 at 1:37 pm

From an uneducated boob I may not buy into what Ted is selling. Japan was seen by some as the leader in tertiary economics in the 90’s and well ten years and counting and still in somewhat of a struggle as per a previous link I referenced above, some say the UK was the initial leader as they were amongst the first to rid their country of most of their manufacturing capabilties and launch the services mindset, you from the UK has that worked well for you or are you even more class oriented and separated and maybe less of a middle class left, I do not know you tell me.

Some say the third tier economics, i.e., tertiary economics has been witnessed first hand by the bubble busting e-commerce of years late, wall street financial meltdown, freddie may/mac of 08 and the upcoming commercial real estate bust and inflationary future, all to some may be considered a services only economic posture that got to far away from the goods for value within ones means obtained not floated.

One can agree with Ted on the fact it is part of a planned strategy by some, yes some in power, as you can see some of the progressive agendas being pushed and promoted here in the USA but may be good for but a few when filling the coffers of the services and financial and hi-tech oriented minimal percentage of American workers but what do you do with the other , my guess only, 80% or more of the population of the good ole USA? I am for higher education for all but my uneducated mindset still favors a balanced set of economic tiers with prospering growth opportunities for all for a viable society as in my book it may be hard to have a majority of our 300 million person society of mostly non self sufficent paupers and a small percentage of elites.

Food for thought although from an energy presentation viewpoint just the same an analogy of the differences in economic models as presented in the linked below;

More to the points for debate;