Circling Daytona Beach And Beyond.

Because of high unemployment and low consumer confidence and consequently low big cruisers sales, the Daytona motorcycle landscape has changed quite a bit. I confirm that the Rossmeyer’s family has its Harley-Davidson Fort Lauderdale, Pompano Beach and Sunrise dealerships for sale (all in South Florida). Some continue to state that Fort-Lauderdale is under contract (not confirmed). At Destination Daytona in Ormond Beach, the “Shelly Rossmeyer Motorcycles” store (Triumph motorcycles), across the Harley dealership, closed (the place was previously occupied by Arlen Ness store).

The Daytona Kawasaki & KTM dealership closed last year and the franchise transferred to Daytona BMW. Carl’s Speed put its Nova Road building for sale and regrouped to its first store on Beach Street where owner Carl Morrow benefits from the resurgence of this location (Harley-Davidson, Big Dog & Indian Motorcycles are setup on Beach Street). The Suzuki demo semi is absent from the International Speedway and is now sitting front of the dealership in South Daytona on Ridgewood Avenue.

Is it Daytona Bike Week or Daytona Biketoberfest (2009 version)? Until now, no traffic jam on the bridge going from Beach Street to Main Street (this weekend?) As I mentioned previously, many who intended to visit the rally could not escape the very bad winter snow storm from up north or thought it was not worth the aggravation due to the predicted cold weather in Daytona. As it was the case during these last 2 years, electronic performance and bagger parts vendors seem to do better than others. Forecast is solid blue skies until Sunday, but chilly at night. To follow… (picture Steve Kelly)

18 Responses to “Circling Daytona Beach And Beyond.”

1. 1 Jeff Nicklus Mar 3rd, 2010 at 6:17 pm

That is very sad in deed!

Over & Out,

Jeff

2. 2 Manhattan Choppers Mar 3rd, 2010 at 6:32 pm

Agreed, bit of a somber mood, should pick up by fri.

3. 3 Steve Carr Mar 3rd, 2010 at 9:22 pm

We live here in Florida, and this year has been the coldest winter that anyone I have talked to thats older than myself, has ever seen. Local Bike Nights are dead, Local bike shops report slow if not down right no business at all. I suppose there is a double shot of bad luck. The “Global Warming” effect thats going on in Florida as well as the economy which we all are suffering from, no matter who you are or what you do.

We have cut our trip to Bikewee 2010 down to just one day, but we hope to make the best of it.

Steve Carr

4. 4 J Mar 4th, 2010 at 3:50 am

Yeah, I suspect Al Gore looks at his Nobel prize every night and just laughs his ass off- “Suckers…”

5. 5 BikerDATA.com Mar 4th, 2010 at 7:46 am

Hey Cyril, FYI check out the local realitors, DESTINATION DAYTONA has been listed with a relator and is For $ale! True fact!

Sounds like your having a busy fun time in Daytona. Wish I could be there but this years event conflicts with the launch of my new invention I am bringing to market next week in Vegas. Check it out when you get a chance at http://www.HookaLime.com. It’s a promotional tool that holds a lime in the neck of a Corona beer. Send me your address and I will send you out a sample bag. Peace.

6. 6 max Mar 4th, 2010 at 8:47 am

Daytona bike week may sucumb to the many other offerings throughout the year and morphize into Daytona bike weekend. We are headed up Friday as are many of my S.Fla friends. The weather and the economy have not helped. And few can afford a week out of work.
    PS I hope the fatalities have remained low

7. 7 max Mar 4th, 2010 at 8:48 am

Global warming does not mean hotter, it means more radical temperature fluctuations.

8. 8 Steve Carr Mar 4th, 2010 at 10:06 am

Global warming means anything to anyone that thinks there is such a thing.

Cold weather=Global warming
    Hot weather=Global warming
    rain=Global warming
    R1N1=Global warming
    on and on and on and on

you name it, and those that belive it use that as the cause for what just happens naturaly on out planet.

If those of us who buy into the “Global Warming” dont except reality, we will all be in for a real treat here in this country as well as the entire world

Steve Carr

9. 9 Mark Moses Mar 4th, 2010 at 10:18 am

Greetings from Beach Street. The Indian Motorcycle display has been fairly busy from our new home. Many people seem confused by the moves by various venders from the Speedway to Beach Street. It will take a little time to catch on.

Indian has a new Dealer on Beach Street next to Carl’s and they are running hard trying to keep up. I have seen a handfull of new Indians rolling out the door and I understand that they have additional deals pending. Small bright spots for our industry for sure…

10. 10 Wade Ramsey Mar 4th, 2010 at 10:45 am

I’d venture to guess they’re having to sell to pay the estate taxes…….Hate to see it.

11. 11 Manhattan Choppers Mar 4th, 2010 at 10:59 am

Big Difference in crowds today Thur..

12. 12 Mike the mechanic Mar 4th, 2010 at 6:06 pm

I’ve lived here in Daytona Beach for 35 years and have never seen the weather stay so cold for so long. We work outside every day, I usually wear long pants about 6 or 7 days a year. I haven’t had a pair of shorts on for 3 months… This is unbelievable.
    Mike the mechanic

13. 13 GEORGIA HOG Mar 4th, 2010 at 9:52 pm

It never fails after reading this blog that someone would have to blame the loss of business on Global Warming. Please check the news that this has been proven to be B.S. I remember having cold winters and hot summers.I remember years ago the orange crops freezing and 105 degrees summer days. Man has not even a clue when it is going to rain in Florida much less predict climate change. Their may be a reason you had to cut your trip down to one day. Quit drinking the Obama kool aid. Next thing somone will be blaming Bush for the low attendance. Hey could it just be the fad is wearing off a little? Getting back to the days before all the stocking caps, black t shirts and leather vest? It was bound to happen sooner or later. Hey I was kinda getting tired of looking at Choppers anyway.

14. 14 Steve Carr Mar 5th, 2010 at 11:10 am

GEORGIA HOG…

In case you didnt notice, If you read my statements close, you will see that in so many words I was saying the same things you are saying, “Global Warming” is BS! I am completely against anything Obama and his crew of clowns have to say.

Dude, please try to comprehend what you read in the future

and by the way, we cut our trip to one day because thats what we wanted to do, and for no other reason,

Steve Carr

15. 15 Bigalyts Mar 6th, 2010 at 8:33 pm

Right Now, In front of us all, are a whole lot more Frickin’ problems then Global warming! Dood if you got to wear Long Pants, Big Deal there are about 200 Million People in this Country that want to trade places. You got UGLY Legs any way ! Just kidding! Destination Daytona has been for Sale for almost a 8 months! Better off turning it into a Cemetary, financially in these times: It makes a lot more sense. That end of Buisness is BOOMING! R.I.P. Bruce

16. 16 Steve Kelly Mar 7th, 2010 at 8:27 am

Glad to see Beach Street coming back to life, that can only help keep Main Street the centre of attraction. Thought the Rats Hole was very sad yesterday, such a pity to put a bike show under cover on a bright and sunny day, but it was worth the trip as there were some awesome bikes to be seen. Not much traffic heading out Destination, found it much harder to get there during Biketoberfest. To wrap up my Bike Week, glad I came, but damn it has been cold!

17. 17 Motorcycle Monster Mar 8th, 2010 at 11:46 am

Cyril,
    Like so many times before “the last 10 years” the excitement over motorcycling goes up and down in cycles. We are just at the end of a very long “Great Run” for the motorcycle world. I remember in the 70’s, when my local Harley Shop had more lawn mowers than bikes.
    It’s up and down , but one thing for sure. It Always comes back. Don’t dispare “evo breath”, we’ll have another new TV show or movie that will peek the interest. I’ve been watching it since “Easy Rider” and it always comes around again with a new generation. These new kids just havn’t discovered the joy of Motorcycling and Harley Davidson. I see a short pause, after a long “high energy peek” in motorcycling.
    The real enthusiasts really never leave. It’s just the short timers that come and go. Hang in, visit your local shops and the next “high energy motorcycle fad” is just around the corner.
    Ride Safe and always enjoy the ride,
    MotorcycleMonster.com

18. 18 burnout Mar 8th, 2010 at 3:05 pm

In spite of a LOT of people noticeably absent, this year seemed better than last. I made more money but I dont attend for the money. Beach st was busiest I have seen since 06. Yeah I was freakin cold but glad I was there. peace

Crusher