California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger signed a Bill Tuesday that targets motorcyclists who remove federally mandated, factory-installed emission control devices and replace them with custom aftermarket parts. EPA states that the legislation is aimed at quieting the deafening roar of modified rides and at reducing emissions.

The new law will make it a crime to operate in California (or titled in California?) a motorcycle manufactured after Jan. 1, 2013, that does not meet federal noise-emission control standards. Motorcyclists whose vehicles lack the proper U.S. Environmental Protection Agency label will face fines of up to $100 for a first-time violation and up to $250 for subsequent infractions. The initial ticket can be voided if the individual makes the required corrections.

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration California is home to more than 10 percent of the country’s registered motorcycles,

38 Responses to “California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger Signs Bill Requiring EPA Label Exhaust Systems”

1. 1 morriscustom Sep 29th, 2010 at 8:57 am

There is more than one way to skin a cat!I think there are laws on the books that already say that.Nobody enforces them unless you piss someone off!

2. 2 My Bikers World Sep 29th, 2010 at 10:11 am

You know, it is pretty difficult to argue with such a governor as Arnold. One his appearance is making people to obey.

3. 3 Larry R Sep 29th, 2010 at 10:18 am

Man, I feel for bikers in California. Your state has gone nuts. So sorry guys. Wish we could do something, but big brother has spoken. It is a shame and many bikers are going to die in traffic as a result. So much for freedom.

4. 4 Sniperman Sep 29th, 2010 at 10:29 am

Another step in taking away our freedom……..what’s next? Aftermarket engine products will be illegal as well??!!!

Arnold needs to go…….he’s worthless as all politicians are.

Targeting bikers is ridiculous…………arnold needs to go after all of the factories that are causing the harm. But he won’t considering the contribute to his election campaigns.

Let’s be serious, how much pollution do you really think motorcycles produce?!

And the noise issue is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard.

Impeach Arnold!!!! Traitor at large!!

Sniperman

5. 5 Big John and the Twins Sep 29th, 2010 at 10:34 am

Hey, didn’t Arnold ride a fatboy in terminator. WTH?? I wonder if the bike had a quiet exhaust. lol….

Again, didn’t he own a Harley at one point? Someone paid him off for this stupid law.

6. 6 Mike Greenwald Sep 29th, 2010 at 10:52 am

The significant power reduction of air/oil cooled motors will only further increase the vulnerability of motorcyclists in California.

Safety organizations such as ABATE of California and all of their state and local offiicials were unable to motivate the membership to defeat this bill. Did their lack of rallying the troops reflect NCOM influences that were more concerned with collecting federal grant monies?

They silenced the motorcycles and silenced the motorcyclists.

A paint job on a Goldwing winning a custom bike show for radical custom?

Manufacturers should refuse to ship anything to California.

7. 7 ROGUE Sep 29th, 2010 at 11:01 am

THIS IN FROM SPLAT

From: Splatt the Harley Ratt [mailto:splatt.the.harley.ratt@gmail.com]
    Sent: Wednesday, September 29, 2010 1:36 AM
    To: undisclosed-recipients:
    Subject: CA LEGISLATIVE UPDATE: Governor Schwarzenegger Signs SB 435 Into Law

Arnold signs the sticker matching bill, SB 435 into law.
    Nice.
    My compliments to the one million riders of California for screwing this one up, royally….but it goes deeper than that.
    I am a registered Republican and a motorcycle rider that has been betrayed by a guy with an (R) after his name…who happens to ride, well, at least OWN a motorcycle or two…I don’t think he really rides….or hangs out with “real” riders or carries tools or changes his own oil….I think it’s all about being seen for this guy, which I’ll explain later.
    As for SB 435, I’m pretty sure not ONE (R) legislator voted for this bill in any committee – or in either house….which pretty much tells you which team is FOR Riders “Rights”….and which team is AGAINST Rider’s “Rights”.
    Oh…that’s right….Ah-nuld’s “R” stands for “RINO”…Republican In Name Only…what a bitter disappointment this schmuckinegger schmuckinator has been to the riders of California.
    Some “Biker” he turned out to be….more like the “Poseur” I always imagined him to be….the typical Hollywood faker…or, I guess you could call it, “acting”.
    I don’t need a group of people around me to enhance my love for/of riding…like any true addict, you know you have an addiction problem when you find yourself drinking or RIDING alone.
    I used to like Ah-nuld…back in the bodybuilding/terminator days….but since Conan the Destroyer, Terminator 3, that Danny DeVito movie, splitting his lip without an M1 license on a sidehack, and especially after signing SB 435, I’ve got nuthin’ nice to say about him, anymore…..
    …..unless he somehow miraculously issues that directive I’ve been askin’ for, for years, directing the CHP (submissive functionary of the executive branch) to establish criteria which would declare that the only “legal” helmet in California is that helmet which is MANUFACTURED in California – by California workers.
    The CHP is charged with establishing the criteria for “legal” helmets. The key phrase in VC 27802; “regulations shall include, but are not limited to” points out that those subjective criteria are amiable to change.
    I’ve always looked at it as an economic stimulus/jobs bill type thing.
    And due to the fact that nobody manufactures helmets in California, there can be no such thing as a “legal” helmet. No list – no law type thinkin’…those BOLT™ guys got somethin’ there.
    Perhaps now everyone will appreciate the merit of Doug’s “Ride 2 Repeal” plan ( http://www.ride2repeal.com ) ….as far as I’m concerned, it’s the ONLY game in town.
    To waste your time on any other project, for the next 34 days, 7 hours and 35 minutes – at this time – election time….shows a complete lack of understanding of exactly where our biggest problem lies; SACRAMENTO!
    It ain’t that hard to figure out.
    It’s quite obvious, politicians don’t listen to polls, petitions, letters, faxes or phone calls from the public. They listen to the select few people that got ’em into office. That union. That environmental group. That abortion group. That pharmaceutical company. That big corporation. And…THAT LITTLE CAMPAIGN WORKER. I’ve known it since the “old guard” taught me that back in the 90’s. The legends; Lax, Oz, Milky, Nemecek, Paliwoda, Theodore, Cromwell, Daniels, Schneider, Rinkes, Pruitt, Thomas, Daley, VanDerWeyde, Getty, Howell and yes, even NY Myke, are just a FEW of the names I can think of – off the top of my head. Somewhere along the way, we lost touch with reality and got lazy, soft and weak….and we wonder why we are where we are.
    As far as I’m concerned, the Ride 2 Repeal plan is the ONLY way to effectuate the change we seek…as mentioned before, it ain’t a new plan to us “old-timers”, it’s simply dusting off the OLD ABATEPAC ways….and it’s so damn simple it’s ridiculous……
    Quality, not quantity. Less moving parts. No-nonsense. Common sense. Tastes Great. Less Filling.
    So, visit http://www.ride2repeal ….pick a race and a candidate, take a shower, dress respectfully (yet still like a Biker – ugh, I absolutely HATE the HD™ motorclothes™ zombies, but it does epitomize “tasteful” Biker attire…*cringe*) and RIDE yer ass down to campaign headquarters and make yourself known to the candidate and campaign manager, but more importantly, the STAFF.
    The politician is usually clueless…most often, a puppet…often doing what the party chair or the Chief of Staff tells him/her to do, everyday. Walk here. Go there. Say this. Wear that. Don’t do that. VOTE THIS WAY. You need to get your hands on some of those puppet strings.
    The key to reaching ANY politician is having an excellent rapport with his/her staff…so you treat the staff like GOLD. As an individual, you buy the staff lunch. Have pizza parties at the district office. Give them tickets to the opera, fix their car, babysit their kids, walk their dog, feed their cat…..if the staff likes you, your message/pink memo makes it to the big guy’s desk. If you come across as trash, that’s where your message ends up; IN the trash. Even misanthropes (like me) can make brownie-points by doing good deeds for the staff, and always showing them courtesy and respect.
    I just wanted to put in my two centavos worth – at the Canadian exchange rate.
    This advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.
    Don’t bother emailin’ me…..I’m no longer a slave to my email, nor do I monitor it….and I’m NOT an active participant of your movement, anymore…I’ve put myself in the penalty box because far too many people just don’t “get it” – and I just don’t have the time/energy to fight or explain it, anymore….there are bigger issues at hand…..cos there ain’t gonna be any good ridin’ if we ain’t got a COUNTRY to ride in.
    TEA, anyone?
    ~splatt

Please pay attention to the Ride To Appeal link.
    Rides to The Capitol are also a good idea.
    Civil disobedience, getting tickets and taking them to court are also good.

8. 8 Roadside Marty Sep 29th, 2010 at 11:57 am

And to think that I used to want to live in California!! It’s not there YET but if any of you want to move to Florida..come on over!!!! Roadside

9. 9 Shifter Sep 29th, 2010 at 12:01 pm

New legislation equals extinction of the custom builder based in CA. Amen.

10. 10 ODee Sep 29th, 2010 at 2:18 pm

It sucks to see anyone get saddled with more restrictions from big brother, but I’ve always found it ironic that so many riders out there enjoying their freedoms are completely oblivious to how the noise created by thier straight pipes impacts the rights of others trying to do the same -the old ‘your right to pursue your happiness ends at the tip of my nose and ears thing’!

For years I’ve heard complaints from many non-riders about how on scenic roads bikes (particularly cruisers) will tailgate and push to get past cages only to slow down -which not only goes against all common sense as far as stopping distances and such, but also forces people to have to listen to the exhaust noise coming from their otherwise stock bikes.

Personally, when I’m in the car and hear a bike with loud pipes approaching, I’m more likely to speed up and drive erratically to avoid getting stuck at a stoplight next to or behind them.

11. 11 Marc Frantz Sep 29th, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Cyril,

As quoted from the movie “The Expendables”

Bruce Willis on Arnold: “What the fuck is his problem?”
    Sly Stallone on Arnold: “He wants to be president!”

Do we need to say anymore?

Hope you & family are well bro!

Marc Frantz

12. 12 Night Flyer Sep 29th, 2010 at 5:50 pm

And this governor loves California? One more reason to leave the state, it is sad to see our rights to exist, be weapons , helmets or loud pipes to be taken away because of a few lobbists with fat wallets and a liberal agenda. Arnold got elected and swore to bring his own changes to save California. It is shameful to see the terminator reduced to a political whore.

13. 13 Waitaminute... Sep 29th, 2010 at 6:18 pm

Arnold = biggot. What an a$$….

14. 14 Waitaminute... Sep 29th, 2010 at 6:21 pm

…”Biggot” wasn’t what I was looking for….I meant “Hypocrite”…

15. 15 Manhattan Choppers Sep 29th, 2010 at 9:16 pm

Dick

16. 16 Manhattan Choppers Sep 29th, 2010 at 9:20 pm

Oh btw saw u recently and u look like a pussy now ur off juice fag. Better do another cycle soon douchbag.

17. 17 fredp Sep 29th, 2010 at 10:16 pm

Motorxcycles manf after 01/01/2013. I see a very lucrative market for used bikes for many years to come. Heck, I can keep rebuilding old H-D’s over and over again and make a good living until I retire. (Thank you H-d rebuild program, S&S, and Drag Specialties)
    Better buy up them H-d’s at auction boys! First one to the auction wins!!!!

18. 18 sollis Sep 29th, 2010 at 11:12 pm

i just look at the new laws is a new product for goverment ,this is what is all about $$

19. 19 KSW Sep 30th, 2010 at 7:33 am

I can only say what needs to happen is to make the law not vehicle specific. It needs to apply to all road vehicles, ie. cars, trucks etc… Otherwise it’s discriminatory. I don’t like being woken up by trucks or cars any more than I like it when it’s a bike. I live in an affluent neighborhood and when I moved in with my custom bike the neighbors weren’t too happy. Then the houses started coming down for mansions and we had trucks with open headers up and down the street. Then came the AMG Black, Aston Martin etc. and suddenly it wasn’t my bike that was a problem it was the trucks and cars waking babies. Joe Johnson of the Hawks lives behind me with his insane custom truck and parties all night long (no wonder they lost the playoffs with him up all night partying with his posse and screaming girls).

The rest of what everyone is saying shows a total lack of personal responsibility. Stop acting as though individual rights trump society as a whole. IF you don’t like rules and are pro carry rights move to the third world and see how long you last their. Not very.

When my wife was traveling with the Dali Lama speaking on stage with him he said when science trumps religion you have to go with the science. Hate oil leaking in the gulf but drive a 8 mpg truck or suburban or super car, stop whining. Lastly, vote. I wonder how many whiners do?

20. 20 Cade Sep 30th, 2010 at 7:43 am

How will the Hell’s Angels ride ?

21. 21 ROGUE Sep 30th, 2010 at 8:54 am

With this being more about money that stopping noise violators. There are already plenty of laws to address that issue, they just became not profitable so a new bill was signed that increased these fines.
    The real money being made starts with the procedure to certify the exhaust systems.
    There is big money paid out to be a EPA testing facility and that trickles down to manufactuers who have to pay more and the cost of doing business is then passed on to the consumer. ALL OF US.
    The way that I read this law is if it has a stamp it is deemed legal by the federal goverment and now the state of CA. If over time the internals wear out (Hey some one helping that happen is not mentioned) the exhaust is still legal.
    Back in the days before all the comapnies making motorcycle exhaust the systems were modified by the owner and or friend. This could become very popular in the future and turn around to bite those behind this bill.
    OOPs my bad they are not that concerned it is about the money they will make and further control how motorcycles are made.
    I can see older motorcycles becoming more popular But also efforts from the Goverment to stop this such as the cash for clunkers program which did nothing but waste money.
    Auto and Motorcycle makers like these programs as it forces people to buy new vehicles and of course goverment makes a lot of money in that as well.
    It should be noted a few years ago the EPA had meetings with Harley Davidson that led to their exhaust being stamped and of course the factory said if we have to comply then everyone else making motorcycles should have to as well.
    Its all about How They Can Take Your Money!

22. 22 Ken Sep 30th, 2010 at 9:45 am

Has it ever been legal to remove your factory exhaust system and replace it with open pipes on a vehicle that’s used on the highway? I can’t remember it ever being legal myself.

My Sportster with stock carb and exhaust gets 75 mpg on the highway. I think I’ll keep them.

23. 23 Mike Greenwald Sep 30th, 2010 at 11:57 am

Ken,

You are espousing a misconception.
    Just because anything is legal versus illegal doesn’t make it lawful nor unlawful. Furthermore, just because a law was made does not make that law legal, constitutional or unconstitutional.
    To clear this up for you, it needs to be argued to a minimum of the Federal Appellate Court to mean anything.

If your muffler is over 30 days old, it might be found noncompliant with any noise restrictive law. Ignorance of the law is never an acceptable excuse in the courts.

Mike

24. 24 sjglide Sep 30th, 2010 at 11:58 am

This law got signed by the Gov, but I can’t really understand why he cares about this. There are plenty of laws already on the California books to guard against what this bill supports. I clearly remember playing the exhaust game back in the 70s. Get a ticket for noise. Go home, swap exhaust, get the ticket signed off, go home swap back…..This will be the same. What this will do is force the manufacturers to make performance, low noise exhaust systems. That is all I’ve ever been after. Look at the new V&H big ovals. Just a couple of dB away from legal, with improved performance to handle those engine builds to 103, 110, 117 cu. If you all really want to blame somebody, go home and look in the mirror. Ask yourself, did you do all you could to prevent this? Did you write your officials? Did you support one of the motorcycle rider rights organizations other than just lip service? If you aren’t part of the solution, you are part of the problem. This just goes on to prove what some of you who responded here are bitchin about. Lots of things in the US are changing. Changing cause you can’t be bothered to voice your opinion where and to whom it matters. You all have internet access and email cause you wrote a response to Cyril’s blog, so use it for more than bitching. Or bitch to the right people.The lousy politicians you speak of are in power due to your lack of involvement. How do you think they got elected? By your friends and neighbors who got off their asses long enough to make a difference. November is almost here, go register and vote your opinion. Then and only then you have the right to complain about who won if it aint your candidate. Then, as a registered voter, start writing letters and emails. Instead of watching only one half hour TV program a week, write a couple of emails to your area representatives. Local, county and state.

If you want the facts on this bill and who voted, use this link to the State Bill Analysis:

25. 25 martin Twofeather Sep 30th, 2010 at 12:55 pm

See what happens when you put actors in politics,they just keep acting for the money!

26. 26 stagolee Sep 30th, 2010 at 2:23 pm

I wonder how this will affect Oakland PD’s “Rolling Thunder”. The motorcycle cop squad who use aftermarket exhaust. Are the cops gonna have to fine and ticket themselves? If so, that might be progress. 🙂

Related article: http://motorcycles.about.com/b/2008/06/16/oakland-motorcycle-cops-stir-controversy-with-loud-pipes.htm

27. 27 stagolee Sep 30th, 2010 at 2:25 pm

PS. Watch California “new bike” sales tank after Jan 1, 2013. When the state sees a dip in the related sales tax, they’ll rethink this.

28. 28 freedomlaw Sep 30th, 2010 at 4:41 pm

Next the State will insist upon a computer chip that establishes your location, direction of travel, and speed of travel. Then the State will insist that we download this information as part of a monthly registration requirement. Then the State will tax us on all provable speed violations. It comes down to facism people. Vote these bums out of office. Re-elect no one. All incumbents must go.

29. 29 Bigal Sep 30th, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Hey I don’t want to give up any “MOVES” in case you California Sharpsters haven’t already found a way around this Loosly written Law, that’s active 3 Years from now! But If my MILITARY MiND reads what has been written about the Law or Bill…………If you get Pulled over or caught first time it is $100 and second time it’s $250 and they remove the Fine if you install a legal or your stock set back on! I don’t understand TRUELY the Big Deal right now. Just like you must have figured: remove the Loud and put the stock on and then take them off in a few days. You know in 3 Years someone will probably will have a small lever that that you PULL and you go to California D.O.T. then slide the lever the other way and its 150db………………..Come on Doods We Will Figure A Way Around This Bullshit Law!! Let’s put our Heads together and figure a way to make everybody “Financially Whole” again.

30. 30 cwglide Sep 30th, 2010 at 7:04 pm

Hey Freedomlaw, now add to the list on your 2010 tax return it will be required to list your firearms. WTF. Im with you, this state is over regulated, companies won’t mfg here because of taxes, fees, permits, and the requlations. People are moving out to other states because it cost to much to live here, and lack of jobs. Don’t the state legistalor get it!!!! You wanna see real growth, and more jobs CUT TAXES!!!!!, and LESS REGULATION!!!

31. 31 cwglide Sep 30th, 2010 at 7:11 pm

SENATOR FRAN PAVLEY is the one behind SB435. If I recall she was the senator that wrote the smog check bill but was squashed now SB435 was re-written to ticket loud exhaust. SHE MUST BE VOTED OUT. She is not good for our industry.

32. 32 Mike Greenwald Oct 1st, 2010 at 9:55 pm

How’s that “hope and change” feel.

The enviro-nazis won this battle.

Looks like it is time to step it up. Let’s eliminate these ass clowns from anymore B.S. games.

33. 33 v65_sabre Oct 4th, 2010 at 11:52 pm

So, let me get this straight. Its every bikers right to have a bike that is as loud as he/she wants it to be. is this right? If this is right, what about my right to not hear motorcycles. If these clowns that change their exhaust systems for more power, why not just buy a bike that has way more power than Hardly Davison?

34. 34 KSW Oct 5th, 2010 at 8:22 am

“If my military mind reads…” The military in which you swore to uphold the laws of the country you live in?

“How’s that hope and change feel” At least as good as praying to a god to fix all evils. That’s not working out so well is it?

No regulation or taxes? Hmm…. Who’s going to pay for the roads you ride on?
    Who’s going to stop the uber rich from continuing to rip you off? The gun you have? They will have
    bigger guns than you and an army of militants they pay to do what they tell them.

Again, assume some personal responsibility and remember what it is like in a lawless society. If you like the mess we’re in now after deregulation and tax cuts for companies not you I think you’re delusional.

These things always turn into bashing of all types on these boards. How about some hard looks at one’s self.

A specific law is required so that a penalty can be given in a specific case.

35. 35 STEEL TOWN CHOPPERS Oct 5th, 2010 at 9:03 am

What a dick! He was cool in his movies like Predator, the first Terminator and Running man ,etc. But sounds shit in his new line of work. Did you see him in The Expendables? He looked very skinny, but SLy looked in great shape.

36. 36 STEEL TOWN CHOPPERS Oct 5th, 2010 at 9:47 am

Quiet pipes is disaster waiting to happen. You can hear a biker coming before you see him and that saves lives, take that away then car drivers are missiles let loose on the roads and us bikers are in a danger that could be avoided

37. 37 trent reker Oct 5th, 2010 at 8:20 pm

too many b.s. “laws.” i bet thousands of california cops could care less. just don’t be the douche that revs his motor for five minutes every time he starts his bike or hits a stop light.

VOTE LIBERTARIAN!

1. 1 Tweets that mention California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger Signs Bill Requiring EPA Label Exhaust Systems at Cyril Huze Blog – Custom Motorcycle News -- Topsy.com Pingback on Sep 29th, 2010 at 9:09 am
Crusher