Action Alert Regarding Motorcycle Only Checkpoints

AMA (American Motorcyclist Association) and the NMA (National Motorist Association) has formally questioned the potential discriminatory and legal nature of Motorcycle Only Checkpoints or Roadblocks administered by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Law enforcement officials may defend the program as a safety measure to decrease motorcycle crashes, injuries and fatalities, but here is no proof of its effectiveness. The practice, first modeled in New York State, has drawn the ire of thousands of motorcyclists nationally. NHTSA is now seeking up to five other law enforcement agencies, besides the state of New York, to participate in motorcycle-only checkpoints, and is offering $350,000 in federal funding.

The National Motorists Association has always opposed roadblocks, of any kind, and for any purpose other than warning travelers of an unforeseen danger; e.g. a collapsed bridge, flooded roadway, or multi-vehicle crash scene. Therefore it stands to reason that we would oppose the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s (NHTSA) issuance of financial grants to fund motorcycle only roadblocks.

The AMA believes that the best way for NHTSA to reduce motorcycle crashes is to employ proven strategies, such as rider education and motorcycle awareness programs, that decrease the likelihood of crashes from ever occurring. These strategies must be research-based. Motorcyclists would be much better served by applying the funding to the national motorcycle crash causation study. To urge your Representative to support this important resolution, click here: http://tinyurl.com/27c6yc9

37 Responses to “Action Alert Regarding Motorcycle Only Checkpoints”

1. 1 Just my opinion Oct 7th, 2010 at 11:24 am

I don’t think anyone other than a drunk driver would object to a DUI check point. Sounds like someone trying to waste time and collect donations to fight nothing to me.

2. 2 FolsomDoug Oct 7th, 2010 at 12:36 pm

Actually, lots of us object to DUI checkpoints, just like we object to any other intrusion into our affairs unjustified by any reasonable suspicion of wrongdoing. Going about your business without government interference is a fundamental human right.

3. 3 Lyle Oct 7th, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Around here they have Fish and Game checkpoints pulling over hunters, Truck Regulatory portable scales pulling over truckers, DUI check points (which by law, need to be signed so the driver can turn to a different street and avoid) pulling over everyone. I don’t really see the problem as the catch a lot of hunters, trucks, and drivers, over the limit.I don’t like government intrusion either but there’s always the guy who thinks his personal liberty is more imprortant than other collective individials. In a democracy, we all need to give up something to be fair to everyone.

4. 4 deadwood1783 Oct 7th, 2010 at 1:25 pm

I don’t remember the Author so I’ll paraphrase as best I can. “Any man who would give up one ounce of freedom to gain one pound of safety deserves to be neither safe nor free”. I agree. Government to me is the problem, not the answer. Smaller less intrusive government is preferable. Singling out groups is ok to some until one day they come for you. Lets see. Lets have instead of a motorcycles only checkpoint, how about a Muslims only or a Christians only, or a Blacks or Whites only checkpoint. Would that be ok too…really…just because I don’t like your form of worship, or transportaion doesn’t mean I’m not willing to fight to help you keep it. THINK FOR YOURSELVES PEOPLE/WHILE YOUR STILL FREE TOO!!!

5. 5 Darin Maltsberger - Instructor @MTI Oct 7th, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Well said “Deadwood 1783”. I also want to agree with the original article. Money needs to be spent on crash prevention and driver awareness. Two weeks ago, a close friend of mine was stopped at a road construction site behind several cars and trucks on his motorcycle waiting for the pilot car to return and lead traffic through the work zone. A twenty-two year old driving a 3/4 ton pickup at 65mph while talking on his cell phone misjudged the distance required to stop his vehicle. My friend lost his life.
    A motorcycle only checkpoint would not have saved him, an automobile checkpoint wouldn’t have saved him, a sobriety checkpoint would not have saved. Driver awareness education might have.

Along with most everyone else here, I believe it’s time for less “Big Brother”. Just leave me alone…..I wanna be free.

-Darin

6. 6 Lyle Oct 7th, 2010 at 2:41 pm

The problem with driver awareness training is that no amount of training is going to change bad behavior or habits. There’s always going to be drunks on the road, poachers in the woods, overweight trucks, etc. It’s those kind of people who’s fault it is for the government taking measures. I don’t agree with MC only stops, and I don’t realy like being stopped anywhere (the last time was dirt biking in the woods) but I understand why it’s done. That guy on the cell phone probably thought he had the freedom to talk while driving in that workzone. The cell phone may or may not have contributed to the accident. Only he knows. Maybe there should be cell phone stops….

7. 7 steve ladley Oct 7th, 2010 at 7:03 pm

I live in NY and have to deal with these stops every summer. It is total B.S. that I should have to pull my bike over and shut it off so that a Trooper can check my liscense, my Helmet , and my pipes while cars drive by. If they want to look at my registration fine but to pull over and shut my bike down. They are profiling me and fellow riders. I am so happy to see the AMA and NMA taking up this cause.

8. 8 Gas Man Oct 7th, 2010 at 9:46 pm

The problem with laws like they ar trying to use in NY. Is that it’s targeting just motorcycle riders. If you are going to do a DUI check point it should be for all vehicles on the road. Pure and simple!

9. 9 Bob Walker Oct 7th, 2010 at 10:21 pm

The problem is the discriminitory nature of singling out motorcycles. Next it will be any vehicle. This is nothing more than the insurance lobby using the government as their puppets to enforce their agenda of lowering their risks so they can make more money. Bikers will get fined for things like vertical plates, non-DOT helmets, loud pipes, high handle bars, no front fenders, etc. It will turn into a cash cow for law enforcement.

10. 10 Ken Oct 7th, 2010 at 10:55 pm

You don’t have a right to drive or ride a bike on the road/highway. You have individual rights as a person but your drivers license and your privilege to use the roads can be revoked at any time. They can do whatever they feel like doing as long as they follow “their” own rules ie a roadblock sign, a written plan that states the reason for the stop and the vehicles they will be targeting and reflective vests at night.

Infringing on your freedoms has nothing to do with the roadways in this country.

11. 11 Dave Blevins Oct 8th, 2010 at 7:11 am

It is likely that this action (masked in NHTSA) allows a less obvious way for law enforcement to harass, and monitor the movements of patch holders and club riders. It will become obvious when they start doing it in other border states where clubs have a large presence. If they can get thier cop jollies by writing some tickets and collecting some fines as well, that’s just icing on the cake. I’m not a conspiracy theorist, I just know cops like fishing with a net.

12. 12 Mike Greenwald Oct 8th, 2010 at 7:44 am

There is always immense confusion and misunderstanding about Freedom of Travel. Here is some good reading about it. http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/historics/USSC_CR_0383_0745_ZX.html

13. 13 martin Twofeather Oct 8th, 2010 at 7:54 am

I guess if we lived in Russia this is a fine practice,but we don’t and in America even tho it’s about the money,it’s still wrong……………..

14. 14 jim Oct 8th, 2010 at 7:57 am

15. 15 Hildy Oct 8th, 2010 at 8:13 am

A motorcycle only checkpoint makes no sense to me. Other than a CDL license motorcycle operators are the only other motorists required to have a special license to travel the highways and byways. Now you want to stop me to see if I’m licensed, insured, have the proper safety gear, my equipment is stock and not customized, everything meets all the federal standards that are developed for the manufacturing industries but I have to maintain or be arrested and fined for not meeting the manufacturers compliance standards that I cannot even begin to interpret, let alone the cop that is stopping me at the check point. All of this because some of you who have decided that you have no rights say this is a privilege for me not a right so I should roll over and play dead. I’m glad you were not around during the 1700s or we would all still be under the King’s rule.
    We do not need government interference in our adult daily lives mandating what is best for society. They said seat belts and other safety features would save lives and reduce injuries and property damage and thus reduce insurance premiums but I’ve seen nothing but insurance increases. Mandating educational training and educational courses will do nothing but further restrict the motorcycling public.
    A volunteer, affordable, public run, educational course is an excellent idea to make available to the public but mandate a riders education course and we will see it go the way drivers education is going now in the high schools, private run and very expensive.
    What I need is for the check points that incorporate a dozen or so officers to come down and for them to go out and pursue the bad guys. You know the ones I’m talking about, the child molesters, rapists, murders, and other violent criminals. Not me and my wife who are out on a weekend cruise to see if my pipes are too loud or my helmet meets some compliance standard the cop doesn’t even know how to interpret.

16. 16 ROGUE Oct 8th, 2010 at 8:55 am

This practice has been used around the country at many motorcycle events and on the roads leading to them.
    The fact that it stops only motorcycle riders should make it illegal. Even some of the roadside stops that include other types of vehicles are illegal as they do not supply a primary reason for pulling a person over such as speeding and or reckless driving.
    The stop starts with the standard License, Registration and in many cases Proof of Insurance. What follow that are demands on how to exit your motorcycle or even in some cases not to. This is the officer seeing how well you will follow his orders.
    Now that the officer has you there he gives you a once over and your motorcycle as well.
    Now it is what happens at these stops where rights are violated further the questioning starts, where are you going, where have you been, if you are wearing patches on your clothing asking what they mean and or what gang you belong to. Your answers are saved and added into a database.
    In some instances people are questioned about if they have tattoos and made to remove clothing so that they can be photographed.
    Some of those in law enforcement are just working these stops for the pay while others are compiling information that can later be used for invasion of privacy, still others are using it to raise money for their departments with the issuing of tickets for some minor infraction that you can be fined for. They particularly like those from out of the area and or state that would make it financially impracticable to return to the area to fight the citation.
    This is such an important issue that well respected Motorcycle Rights Organizations are addressing the issue and asking for your help with it.
    You can either be part of the solution or part of the problem by Not Helping To Stop Motorcycle Only Check Points.

17. 17 Weezy Oct 8th, 2010 at 12:04 pm

The Constitution Grants us nothing, it was the fight that the colonists brought the king that made him recognize our rights, not a piece of paper.
    If a checkpoint comes to your town, fight it, learn about it, understand the law. Frequent your checkpoint with a video camera, and watch the watchers. when in a checkpoint DO NOT CONSENT, find out what you are required to produce, and give nothing else.
    RESIST LIKE YOUR COUNTRY DEPENDS ON IT ! ! !

18. 18 cwglide Oct 8th, 2010 at 2:58 pm

Your spot on Rogue that is exactly what happens at these check points. Its a checkpoint for profiling of patch holders and gather intell where they can find it. Not safety, or Bottom line its a violation of citizen rights flat out.

19. 19 jan Oct 8th, 2010 at 3:23 pm

I favor the use of all methods of non-violent resistance when essential liberties are endangered by the over-zealous police state. While I agree with the Supreme Court that a checkpoint/roadblock stop constitutes a seizure, I disagree with its’ opinion in which they allow previously specified exceptions* for unwarranted seizures for a few “compelling state interests” including license checks, and DUI checks. As a free American exercising my fundamental right to travel without harassment, I recognize and support the following as valid reasons for roadblocks/checkpoints of non-commercial vehicles: 1. to secure the national borders, 2. emergencies such as warning citizens when a bridge is out or a similar emergency condition is ahead, 3. search for a violent criminal known to be in the area, and 4. when there is intel of a terrorist cell on the move through a specified area. I do not recognize the validity of safety checkpoints in order to check for seat belt usage, helmet usage, or violations of FMVSS (which are actually violations by the manufacturer – not the consumer), and am especially infuriated when my travels are interrupted to be lectured about safety or to be given safety nanny propaganda material. Since I am outgunned, I won’t resist with violence as my forefathers likely would, but I will exercise ALL other rights, including criminal and civil charges for deprivation of rights under the color of law.

Note: Motorcyclist only checkpoints for either safety or profiling purposes is NOT currently recognized as an allowed exception according to Supreme Court rulings. Clearly, the executive branches of government are taking this authority unto itself in violation of our Bill of Rights and limitations to their authority. It is abuse of authority to the detriment of civil liberties until proven otherwise, and, as such, those who violate your rights should be held responsible.

In North Carolina, highway patrol lawyers attempt to justify motorcyclist only checkpoints as a result of the requirement to have a motorcycle endorsement on our vehicle operators license. Their argument is that you agreed to this motorcycle endorsement, therefore your license is evidence that you agreed to “submit” to their authority, and they have authority to check and be sure you are living up to contractual obligations made when you received the endorsement. I hope their argument is disputed and found not credible.

How many of you realized that you were contractually obligating yourself when you asked your state for a license? How many of you realized that, in the governments perspective, this was a critical point in which you surrendered a fundamental right in exchange for a privilege and contractual obligations?

20. 20 cwglide Oct 8th, 2010 at 4:10 pm

I wish the governement would stop with driving is a privilege and not a right category. In some metropolitian cities that mass transit works then I can see where it can be considered a privilege. However most cities were designed for the automobile and thus suberbs were established. You cannot have a cost effective mass transit that will work because of this. This is the case in California. If driving is a privilege so say the out of touch government then lets not drive for 24 hrs and lets see how that will affect our economy. It took me 2 hours on a bus to go about 25 miles. There are alot of commuters in this state and there is no practicle and possible way to utilize mass transit that has failed from a practicality perspective. I say especially in this State of California that driving is a NECESSITY/RIGHT!!!!!! and not a PRIVILAGE!!!!!!!!!

21. 21 stache Oct 8th, 2010 at 7:43 pm

WAKE UP FOLKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cameras spying on us for speeding violations. NOT for our safety as the gov. would have you believe, but for generating REVENUE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Helmit laws, seatbelt laws should be freedom of choice. Insurance rates? The increase in rates argument is camouflage for slowly taking away personal freedom choices.

NO ONE should drive a motorcycle drunk, EVER. But checkpoints aren’t the answer. I guarantee you I can drive a car “drunk” ALOT easier than I can trying to hold a bike up, negotiate turns, etc.

AMERICA IS GOING THE WAY OF CUBA, NORTH KOREA, SOVIET UNION, CHINA, ETC., ETC.

22. 22 Bigalyts@aol.com Oct 9th, 2010 at 12:53 am

WoW, You Guy’s have some Powerful reasoning, AND LEGITIMATE Words of Freedom and Rights of us Americans living in a Democracy with Equall rights for the Motorcyclist! It sucks that with all of these Positive Facts that say that Say WE Americans have lost a REPUBLIC as the Constitution guaranteed us, for a worthless Democracy riddled with more and more Government We have lost more Rights, more meaning then a Profiling Point of SEARCH, which is a Sobriety Check on Motorcyclists. We have lost the Rights of “ENTRAPMENT” by Law enforcement and our Government. We can be set up, We can be searched, and we can have Law Enforcement break into our Home and even seize our Savings that is more then $10,000 in cash, take Our Guns, and Arrest us under a Scheming Law called the “Patriot Act”. Obama scares me, but Busch, Fucked us, forever.

23. 23 ROGUE Oct 9th, 2010 at 10:32 am

I thank Cyril for opening this and those who have posted.
    NOW CONTACT YOUR LEGISLATOR and let them know how you feel on the issues.
    I also suggest you Vote Out OF OFFICE those who voted for or made bad laws against motorcyclist.

24. 24 Quint Oct 9th, 2010 at 3:34 pm

Deadwood, you are right on. I believe it was Ben Franklin.
    Jan, you are my hero/heroine.
    Some of the contributors sound like sheep, baa.
    If you think its alright to sacrifice a little of our civil rights…baa…baaa.
    It’s also your right to have those opinions too.

25. 25 dragon Oct 11th, 2010 at 3:37 pm

got to be said IF YOU DONT DIDNT VOTE DONT BITCH AND IF YOU DID WE ARE GETTING SCREWEDBUT I DIDNT VOTE FOR HIM AND I WONT

26. 26 Just my opinion Oct 11th, 2010 at 5:05 pm

Check points are nothing new. Is it just because it now effect you that you are outraged? Where were all you American Rights activist when it was time to vote? You gave up this right years ago. No sense in whining now. My advise would be just don’t drink and ride and you will be just fine.

27. 27 Mike Greenwald Oct 12th, 2010 at 8:04 am

Just my Opinion,
    Wipe the kool-aid dripping from the corners of your mouth and present your papers. To hell with the compliance that you preach. The issue is not sobriety at the motorcycle only checkpoints. The issue hasn’t got one damnable thing to do with voting.

These checkpoints are in place because of Federal grant money (welfare) being given to police departments for the purpose of intimidation of motorcyclists. The end goal of the government is terminating motorcycling as we know it. I am certain that none of this was ever a ballot box issue for the public to vote upon. Rather, this was a backroom deal attached to a pork related budgetary consideration. If you are so meek to not resist the government(s) about these motorcycle only stops, it appears that you are a government employee or recipient of government money. That type of action would define you as a prostitute. You would be getting paid for the screwing you are receiving or delivering for the government.

Mike

28. 28 Mac Oct 12th, 2010 at 11:05 am

Just My Opinion.

I guess you are referring to DUI Checkpoints; Sitz v Michigan 1990. First the case was declared unconstitutional (4th Amendment) then the Supreme court said it was okay because drunk driving is a menace to society. So you think it is okay for your constitutional rights to be removed because someone else is breaking the law?

In CA (where I live); last year the state took in $40,000,000 in impound fees and paid the cops $30,000,000 in overtime. Few DUI arrests are actually made. Most are ticketed for no drivers license or no proof of insurance. Cars are impounded for 30 days. If my car was impounded for 2 days I would be doing everything possible to correct the situation. 30 days is legalized theft. In CA if you do not have proof insurance on you (the little paper from your agent) it is a $750 fine. You can go to court and show you did have insurance and the fine is reduce to $25 or $50 dollars. In CA, once the cop plugs in your drivers license number, registration and insurance shows up from the DMV data base; so if you simply can not find that little piece of paper you get the ticket. The DUI checkpoints have become such a scam, that the California Highway Patrol is no longer participating, this also due to a couple of court cases going on.

I should point out that during the Memorial Day Holiday; in Las Vegas (a party town) the police stopped over 15,000 drivers and arrested 54 for DUI…not very good odds for arrests.

From societies compliance (like yours) in allowing the cops to stick their 3rd member up your rectum is why we now have a corrupt division of the Fed Government (NHTSA) paying mercenary money to various police departments to violate the constitutional rights of motorcyclists.

I’m sure you are okay with it, they said they would be gentle and respect you in the morning. Me, I’m going to copulate em right back

29. 29 Defendant From Hell Oct 12th, 2010 at 11:09 am

It is possible that JustMyOpinion is so embarrassed by his own lack of Vigilance in this area that his defense mechanism is to accept the bastardization of his Rights as ‘normal.”
    A justification for the present lack of action.

I hate to say it, but when it comes to voting, California is nearly a lost cause, due to the fact that the Progressive Agenda comes first (in both parties) and listening to constituents comes last.
    It is so blatent that most don’t even try to pretend they are listening.

I see the checkpoints as a test to see how many citizens will neglect their Rights and hand over everything to the “authority.”

I enjoy seeing them twist when I ask, “Am I under arrest?”
    If not I ask if I’m free to go. They can’t have it both ways.

But Lyle…..
    This is not a democracy, and you need to resist giving up anything to be fair to everyone.

30. 30 knownasrc Oct 12th, 2010 at 1:14 pm

“I don’t like government intrusion either but there’s always the guy who thinks his personal liberty is more imprortant than other collective individials. In a democracy, we all need to give up something to be fair to everyone.”

And this is the “problem”. We have a country of people who do not have the slightest idea of what kind of government we were supposed to have. what kind of government we currently have (Kleptocracy) and what kind of government we are to have (master/slave relationship). The tonight show proves it over and saver again whenever they do a “Jay walking” segment.

Jans point re: contractual agreement is spot on. That has to be tested, as the contractual obligation varies from state to state. In Florida, if stopped and wearing a helmet one does not have to provide proof of insurance. But you will have to produce license and registration which as noted above can be verified over the radio faster than I can find my registration in my wallet.

So there is an option for if you do get stopped, take a very. very long time searching your wallet. Especially if its really hot, cold or raining.

Ownership questions could come into play in a bizzaro way. I pay taxes for the roads to be built and maintained. If any leo agency receives federal funding then we are also subsidizing leo salaries. I suspect I will claim ownership over what ever two patches of asphalt my tires might be on when stopped.

The bonus to winning via the discrimination/profiling tactic is that we should then get reduced tolls instead of having to pay the same toll as a 4W drive pickem up.

In the end this, “Am I under arrest?” “If not I ask if I’m free to go.”

U.S. citizens have been using that tactic at border patrol checkpoints that are as much as a hundred miles this side of the border. It has worked for many.

The only way they can get away with these checkpoint is by Americans citizens being to afraid not to comply.

rc

31. 31 just my opinion Oct 13th, 2010 at 9:00 pm

Mike Greenwald ; First off your arguement that the government is trying to end motorcycling just makes no sense and makes you sound paranoid. If they wanted to stop all people from riding bikes there are better ways to go about doing so. And your insisting that I must be a government employee is again wrong and just so you know I have never takin any assistance from the government so again nothing more than a meaningless attack on your part. You sound like you may be just a little too scared of your government.maybe even paraniod. Are you one of those conspirocy theory nuts? The point I was trying to make is that if you have nothing to hide being stopped for less than one minute [ less time than a traffic light takes] and asked a couple simple questions should not be such a big deal if it keeps drunks off the roads. I have stopped at this type of stop before it was really no big deal. The cop asked have you been drinking? I answered { NO }
    They said have a nice day sir. But if you are one of the many that think you have a god given right to drink and ride your bike you would again be wrong. Your rights stop at the point that they put someone else in danger. And the other arguement that they are targeting clubbers may be right but if you don’t ride around wearing the colors how would the cops know how you are? Again you would be asked if you had been drinking and told to have a nice day. BIG DEAL. Maybe in some cases they are trying to gather intelligence on criminals but is that really any different than keeping an eye on the Black panthers of the 60s or skinheads or al Quida. I quess we should not stop anyone at the airports either. Tell that to the families that had loved ones die on 9-11 I totally get the fact that most clubbers are not doing anything illegal but what about the ones out stealing motorcycles or dealing drugs or commiting murders? Or are telling me none of the clubbers do anything illegal?Do they have a God given right to wreak havick on the rest of us? Your arguement would have much more value if it were not criminals that you are trying to defend whether they be clubbers doing illegal activity or drunks. I agree that it sucks that this type of thing is neccisary but until people are willing to live within the laws that guarantee right to the masses and not just the few that actually know better but CHOOSE to do wrong this kind of thing will happen and if it stopped your family member from being hit by a drunk you might even change your mind. And if you are one of those drunks riding your bike I hope your drunk ass gets caught. Have a nice.

32. 32 Mike Greenwald Oct 13th, 2010 at 11:17 pm

Just My Opinion,

The first point of yours is conjecture. I am not certain if you have the capacity nor the intent to make sense. There are many examples that can be cited as proof that the intent of government eliminates motorcycling through attrition, over taxation, infrastructure, design and acceptance in courts of the “I didn’t see’em defense” on the street and in the courts.

As an additional observation, you simplify the stops, you switch from a motorcycle only checkpoint to a DUI checkpoint and you are a self righteous smug pocket puppet for trying to gloss this over with your conspiracy theorist name calling.

What I am telling you and your followers at bite me dot com is that there is a distinct problem within our country when a limited government operates without limitations. The intelligence gathering at these checkpoints is for localized instant taxation, property seizure and data entry into one more computer system.

Your point about clubbers and colors is the absolute, illegitimate, bastard child of your arguments. The most dangerous clubs that operate on our highways and byways are filled with government employees.

Just as I am speaking up to you, I have spoken up to drunks.

I don’t want anymore help with anything from the government. My words to those in government tell them in no uncertain terms, “Stay out of my pockets and leave me alone.”

The country I defended during my tour in service is not the country of today. You are not the boss of me and I will stop you if and when you try with all of the seriousness and lethality that you may represent to me.

Mike

33. 33 knownasrc Oct 14th, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Just my Opinion

“The point I was trying to make is that if you have nothing to hide being stopped for less than one minute [ less time than a traffic light takes] and asked a couple simple questions should not be such a big deal if it keeps drunks off the roads. I have stopped at this type of stop before it was really no big deal. The cop asked have you been drinking? I answered { NO }”

It is not criminals that Mike is defending, it is his, yours and my rights!

In America one is “supposed” to be presumed innocent until proven guilty. This means I can not be stopped without cause, which also means that I can not be stopped for the sole reason to see if there is cause. Which also means, in my mind that DUI checkpoints are illegal. This from somebody who does not drink nor support driving while under the influence and that includes under the influence of “cell phones”.

It can not be assumed that just because I am using a public highway that ‘I Might” be committing a crime.

In fact, as I don’t know if it fly in a court of law, I believe an argument could be made that were I aware I might be in some sort of violation of who knows what, I might be violating my own fifth amendment rights by stopping and answering any questions.

However as Jan pointed out the contractual obligation we enter into when we sign our DL’s is a sticking point. In that case I suppose I could argue that I signed under duress and/or coercion as I live in an area where there is no public transportation and driving is a necessary means to my survival.

Now those may sound like stupid arguments. But no more stupid than the bogus illusion the police state wants to create when they stipulate they only want to stop one segment of the population to see if they are safe or not.

rc

34. 34 ROGUE Oct 25th, 2010 at 10:30 am

Here is a sample letter for those who are interested in contacting NHTSA about Motorcycle Check Points

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
    Administrator David Strickland

1200 New Jersey Ave. SE
    Washington, DC 20590

Dear Mr. Strickland,

I am writing you at this time to request immediate suspension of the Motorcycle Law Enforcement Demonstrations Grant (DTNH22-10-R-00386). Speaking to you as
    a long time motorcyclist who rides every day, a free American, voter and defender of the Constitution, I find these grants for “Motorcycle Only Safety Stops” to be discriminatory at best.

The statistics prove that motorcycle safety and awareness, in conjunction with riders training programs across the country have a far greater impact in reducing injuries and fatalities. The funding the government has set aside would be much better spent in motorist awareness and crash avoidance studies, such as the one being conducted right now in Oklahoma.

In Texas for example, the latest statistics from the Texas Department of Public Safety
    show a reduction in motorcycle deaths in 2009 by twenty percent. A direct
    result of their extensive state wide “Share the Road” campaign initiated in
    2008. While the number of registered motorcyclists in Texas continues to
    increase, the number of deaths without helmet use has been reduced from 301
    in 2008, to 264 in 2009. Reducing injuries on two wheels is not about helmet use, and I for one definitely support each states right to determine their own helmet policies. It is very clear that singling out motorcyclists for safety stops, equipment checks and law enforcement lectures, does nothing to reduce or prevent crashes on motorcycles. The smart approach would be to prevent the crashes from happening in the first place. It is much more practical and effective to prevent crashes from happening than it is to attempt to make crashing safer. Let us be clear; there is no helmet on the market that can prevent a crash from occurring.

The Motorcycle Law Enforcement Demonstrations Grant is an unwarranted use of taxpayer funding that would only allow discriminatory action against motorcyclists. Please suspend the grant offering immediately.

I would appreciate a prompt response from you regarding this issue.

Sincerely,

35. 35 Mike Nov 10th, 2010 at 12:25 pm

I got stopped going to Americade last year and the police
    were checking helmets, pipes and inspection stickers. This was at
    a four way intersection just outside of Lake george. After about
    10 minutes of waiting to be inspected there were bikes pulled over everywhere and it turned into a mess pretty quick. The back up went for a couple of miles with no signs warning of the check point
    ahead or flagmen. It’s amazing no accidents happened as a result of this checkpoint.

36. 36 Houston_Steve Mar 14th, 2011 at 3:55 pm

If these are truly safety checkpoints then they should apply to all motorists. Living in Texas I cannot begin to tell you the number of cars that are in clear safety violations that would not be checked. It is clear example narrow minded legislators that are either too greedy, power hungry or narcissistic looking for votes.

1. 1 Tweets that mention Action Alert Regarding Motorcycle Only Checkpoints at Cyril Huze Blog – Custom Motorcycle News -- Topsy.com Pingback on Oct 7th, 2010 at 8:33 am
Crusher