Motorcycle Journalist Kimmy Chapman Killed In Motorcycle Accident

Motorcycle journalist, biker events organizer and activist Kimmy Chapman was killed Saturday afternoon around 5 pm in Phoenix, AZ after the Harley-Davidson motorcycle ridden by her boyfriend and on which she was a passenger collided with a Nissan Rogue coming from the opposite direction and making a left turn in front of them. Her boyfriend is at the hospital in serious condition.  Police says that the car driver was not impaired.

Kimmy has been riding and helping others in the motorcycle world for over 30 years. She started The Biker Information Guide in 1997 and helped in the creation and organization of Arizona Bike Week in 1997 and 1998. She was also involved with the Annual World of Wheels Custom Cars, Hotrods & Motorcycle Show and many other events. She was an efficient activist to support female riders and defend biker rights. She also organized and supported several hundreds charity events. My condolences to Kimmy’s family and her friends.

77 Responses to “Motorcycle Journalist Kimmy Chapman Killed In Motorcycle Accident”

1. 1 Seymour Mar 27th, 2011 at 5:14 pm

My condolences. It’s the same damn accident every time.

2. 2 Cantrell Mar 27th, 2011 at 5:17 pm

Sad day indeed. Thoughts and prayers to her family and boy friend.

God Speed Miss Kimmy!

Cantrell

3. 3 Dixie Mar 27th, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Like the bumper sticker says “Kill a motorcyclist – go to jail”.

You know it wasn’t the rider’s fault, it was a Harley, so they weren’t going fast. Dumb cagers… There should be a visual acuity test.

4. 4 tundra Mar 27th, 2011 at 8:05 pm

My sincere condolences and prayers to Kimmy’s family and her boyfriend.

5. 5 Imaginethat Mar 27th, 2011 at 9:29 pm

Why is it always the same story Left turn in front of the motorcycle that we didn’t see. When is the caging public gonna get it, they wouldn’t turn left in front of a semi truck, or a car but they never see or pay attention to the motorcyclist. Why?? is more training the solution. required remedial driving school for all drivers? Mandatory sentences after the fact is just that, after the accident,PUT DOWN YOUR PHONES, quit jerking with the RADIO/CD’s or whatever. Get these people to stop putting themselves first and think of others also. But that is asking to much for these self absorbed, self centered people,

6. 6 Milwaukee Mike Mar 27th, 2011 at 9:35 pm

Kimmy was absolutely one of the motorcycle and biker communities best friends. Her love for all of us was something I witnessed every time I saw her at a rally (and she seemed to make it to all of them!) A woman of true faith, she closed her emails with May God Bless and below her signature she always included the following….
    Never Live Your Life With What If I Did? Your Life is Not a Trial Run…You Only Get One Chance at It!
    God speed Kimmy.

7. 7 Quint w/HogRadio.net Mar 27th, 2011 at 10:20 pm

While I was working at an unnamed motorcycle magazine, Kimmy and her Biker Information Guide were worthy competitors. She will be missed. God bless and God speed Kimmy.

8. 8 Kim Trombley Pyles Mar 27th, 2011 at 11:45 pm

Gone ~ but not forgotten…. Missed ~ and always to be remembered. Loved for eternity.
    God Speed on your journey home Kimmy ~ Ride with the angels now Sister….

9. 9 Roberta Hess Calhoun Mar 28th, 2011 at 12:24 am

I personally did not know Kimmy…nor do I have a bike. I heard of this tragic accident by a friend, Kim Trombley Pyles…who did know Kimmy personally. At first, I was hurting because my friend was hurt by this…more and more as I see pictures and stories of Kimmy, I am hurting for a person that I have never met. I feel like I too have lost a friend. My “ride” of choice is a 1997 Ford F-150…I have always watched for bikers on the road. I find them all worthy of my attention and respect…I have 2000 tons around me, they have the wind in their hair…It’s always a beautiful sight. I also give a nod and a friendly wave…so that they may feel safe next to me…and be assured that I see them…and I always get a friendly smile back. It’s mind boggling to me that people (in a vehicle) don’t get it!!! Godspeed to you, Kimmy…Peace and comfort to your family and friends.

10. 10 Suezie Piche Mar 28th, 2011 at 1:09 am

Last wall post on Facebook by Kim
    Kimmy’s last notes on her FaceBook Wall
    Kimmy Chapman Lauer
    Biker Information Guide’s crew will be out taking our GOTCHA pictures at: Saturday: Buddy Stubbs HD, AJ’s custom paint, MMI, Superstition HD and American Legion. Sunday: Trifect, Hideaway Bar, Greasewood. Have a great time this weekend and be safe, Kimmy and the Crew
    Saturday at 10:03am
    Mandie BacaSassy White love you mom be safe, we will see sometime this weekend.
    Saturday at 11:17am

May you rest in Peace Kimmy…………..AMEN!

11. 11 zyon Mar 28th, 2011 at 5:48 am

Lost too many friends to this same stupidity…

12. 12 freedomlaw Mar 28th, 2011 at 6:41 am

I love this website, and I love motorcycling. But these stories always give me pause. I recently met someone who told me the only time they feel safe is riding on high speed highways and beltways because everyone is going in the same direction. I don’t see myself giving up motorcycling, but I sometimes tell myself that it is a stupid hobby, because it puts me at unreasonable risk.

13. 13 Angry_Inch Mar 28th, 2011 at 6:45 am

I was a lucky survivor of an accident like this. I should have died instantly, then several complications had them reading Last Rites to me again. I was in a coma for nearly a month but I eventually awoke to my loving family. I still suffer flashbacks and significant pain 4 years later but I’m here.

My condolences to her family and friends.

14. 14 Cochise Mar 28th, 2011 at 6:47 am

As real as they came………..RIP Kimmy.

15. 15 Q-Ball Mar 28th, 2011 at 7:31 am

With Respects R.I.P.

Here is a poem for all fallen bikers written By The Picture Guy Koolness@knology.net

Can you feel the wind in Heaven

Can you hear me call your name

Can you see the tears that fall

This world wont ever be the same

Can you feel the wind in Heaven

When we gather in our group

Can you hear the sound of silence

When we look where you once stood.

Can you feel the wind in Heaven

Can you hear the ladies cry

Can you feel our broken hearts

When we have to say goodbye

Can you feel the wind in Heaven

While the men hold back the tears

Leather clad and watery eyes

And know we’d rather have you here

I hope there is a Biker Heaven

And we will meet again someday

I hope to feel the wind in Heaven

And shake your hand again that day

For Sporty Bob

Taken too soon

By The Picture Guy

Koolness@knology.net

16. 16 jatinder pal Mar 28th, 2011 at 8:08 am

R.I.P kimmy.

17. 17 Larry R Mar 28th, 2011 at 9:00 am

R.I.P. Kimmy!! L&R….Larry R.

18. 18 John Williams Mar 28th, 2011 at 9:17 am

It’s so sad to see this happen. I live in Daytona Beach and there’s a lot of motorcycle awarness here. Lots of billboards reminding motorists to check twice for motorcycles. But there’s still the blatantcy of motorists turning in front of Bikes. I think it’s the mentality of Motorcyclists aren’t really any threat to them. What’s A motorcycle going to do, put a dent in their car? I’m continuously ready for them to pull their tricks. If I see ANY potential danger ahead or off to the side, I don’t barrel thru intersections. I’m easing off the throttle and my hand and foot are covering the brakes and I’m taking a wide berth. This proceedure has saved my ass countless times. When I come to a stop, my eyes are glued to the mirror ready to get the hell out of the way in case someone wants to rear end me.
    To sum it up, no one is going to look out for yourself better than YOU. Ride like you’re invisible…

Chopperjohn

19. 19 Robert Filla - Thunder Press magazine Mar 28th, 2011 at 10:05 am

A great gal that will certainly be missed in the motorcycle industry. Condolences to her family and friends.

20. 20 Frank V Mar 28th, 2011 at 10:58 am

RIP Kimmy
    Not only has she passed on but the guy who made the left turn is not being charged!

21. 21 ROGUE Mar 28th, 2011 at 11:01 am

As word spreads through the world of motorcycling of the untimely death of Kimmy Chapman in Phoenix Arizona on Saturday March 26, 2011 people are rising up to see that the person responsible for her death and others like him as well take responsibility for their actions and are punished for them.
    I agree that this should happen. The question is how are we going to do this? The first step is to have laws that are very clear, precise and fair to everyone.
    We all have used “Kill A Biker Go To Jail”. I suggest we think about that. I did and I try not to use it any more. Before you get upset with me for saying that let me explain why.
    Being a biker I realize what was happening to us as we ride. I supported legislation that would enhance penalties for those causing crashes and collisions that injured and killed many.
    In many cases this legislation failed and one of the reasons I was given is that the bill asking for it was prejudicial as it singled out motorcyclist. By its wording it suggested that the life of a motorcyclist was worth more than that of say a bicyclist, someone walking etc.
    We all realize that everyone’s life is important and changes are constantly being made so that bills submitted to legislators will eventually get passed and become law.
    Wording becomes Very Important when we are discussing making new laws.
    Let’s look at a few things most of the bills being submitted include.
    Jail Time: Though most people’s gut feeling is to throw someone in jail every time they do something wrong this presents some problems. The jails are over crowded as it is. It also creates some other issues like the cost of incarceration to tax payers and in some cases families going on welfare. All costs that fall on all taxpayers and Not the guilty party.
    As opposed to jail time putting the guilty party on house arrest and wearing a monitoring device which they would pay for they could still go to work and not cost the tax payers for what they have done.

MONEY: Fines No Matter What The Amount They Can Not Compensate For The Loss Of Life!
    STATES and GOVERNMENT SHOULD NOT PROFIT FROM INJURY and DEATH OF IT’S CITIZENS.
    A more practical approach is that any fines if collected would be required to go into a fund that would help the victims and families and Not to the State.
    The guilty party would be required to stay on house arrest until all fines and or compensations ordered by the court were paid in full.
    Please think about these things and feel free to add your ideas and suggestions.
    Contact your elected officials and let them know you want changes to the laws.
    Contact state and national motorcycle rights organizations and ask them to push for laws that will address these situations.
    Be sure that any bill submitted are worded correctly to reflect the changes you want. If not vote against them until they are.
    I am sorry to say that there are people involved in making laws like lobbyist, insurance companies and even legislators that are looking out more for themselves than they are for you and me.

22. 22 Jeff Nicklus Mar 28th, 2011 at 11:05 am

Kimmy was a great lady who will be missed! My deepest condolences to her family and friends.

Over & Out,

Jeff

23. 23 Stacey B. Mar 28th, 2011 at 11:23 am

Kimmy’s son Jim, is a good friend of mine. He now resides in Dallas. Jimbo, my heart aches for you and your family. I can’t imagine the pain you are feeling. But your good friends here at Markel are here for you in any way that you need us. Please don’t be afraid to reach out to us. Whatever you need, we are here. May your mother rest in peace. She loves you very much and you know she is very proud of you.

24. 24 Goose Mar 28th, 2011 at 11:23 am

It can never be said enough. PAY ATTENTION WATCH OUT FOR BIKES. We have lost an amazing Woman because an idiot was not paying attention. Kimmy you will always be in our thoughts. I want to thank you again for all the great things that you were always doing for someone else. Say hello to John Henry and Paulr for me.

We Love You.

Goose and Lesley.

25. 25 Rory Mar 28th, 2011 at 11:36 am

Kimmy was an innovator, a pioneer and a true friend to not only Arizona motorcycling but nationally as an advocate for biker rights woman riders and many, MANY charities. Kimmy broke ground as a true hero, friend, mom and businesswoman. I knew her and her staff extremely well over the last 7 years and will truly miss her.

Kimmy’s staff has worked hard to this point and will continue delivering biker information in a timely manner. I was assured by a member of her staff that the Biker Information Guide WILL CONTINUE!!!! We all should try to do something positive everyday to reinforce Kimmy’s dream of having the freedom to ride as we do and not have to worry about inattentive cagers doing everything but driving.

God Bless Kimmy and her family. Prayers to her Tapper and her daughter Kelly. We love you all very much and will continue to fight for all the same causes Kimmy did!

RIP Kimmy and God Bless us all who chose to ride on 2 wheels!

Rory Simmons, Phoenix, Arizona

26. 26 Dawn Mar 28th, 2011 at 11:38 am

I’m very saddened with this news. Kimmy was great to work with (I bought advertising in her publication). She was a real inspiration to the sport of motorcycling. She will be greatly missed. Thought and prayers go out to her boyfriend, her family and friends. May you all find comfort and peace during this difficult time.

27. 27 Boss Hawg Mar 28th, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Such a terrible loss…God Bless and R.I.P. Kimmy!

Godspeed to her boyfriend.

Boss Hawg

28. 28 Jeff Nicklus Mar 28th, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Rogue,

…”Investigators say the 22-year-old driver of the vehicle was not impaired at the time of the crash. He is not expected to be charged because he wasn’t negligent.” …..

If he or anyone else for that matter was not impaired nor were they negligent, then at what point do we move crucify someone for this accident or any accident for that matter? Why is killing someone on a motorcycle more or less important than killing anyone whether it is on a motorcycle or in a car, or a truck or riding bicycle?

Rogue, you know I have the utmost respect for you and your work, but this time I think you are wrong for using what is clearly an accident, even thought the accident involved the loss of a life of someone we both knew and respected, for a call to action to contact your elected officials and motorcycle organizations and demand change to whatever laws. We can never hope to outlaw human error or human related accidents.

We are all deeply saddened by the loss of Kimmy’s and this is surely a horrible time for her friends and family but let’s all keep our heads about this accident.

Just my opinion and I surely mean no disrespect to Kimmy’s family or friends.

Over & Out,

Jeff

29. 29 Dave Mar 28th, 2011 at 1:06 pm

The oncoming profile of a bike blends easily into the backdrop of further distant vehicles, even if drivers are not distracting themselves. Add all of the nonsense that goes on inside a car and something horribly wrong is bound to occur. I’ve read an AZ article that stated Police indicated the riders were not wearing helmets.

Rest in Peace.

30. 30 Rebecca Mar 28th, 2011 at 1:59 pm

RIP Kimmy

31. 31 Yaqui RRIMC Mar 28th, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Kimmy we miss you already.
    We prey your boyfriend pulls thru. it’s up to the creator now.
    For your friends and family, our hearts go out to you.

Kimmy…. I know one thing for sure, gasoline has to be cheaper there, ” so ride hard Baby ”

Yaqui

32. 32 Yaqui RRIMC Mar 28th, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Our prayers go out to friends and family,
    sorry for miss spelling, born on the rez

R.I.P. sweetheart

33. 33 Roadside Marty Mar 28th, 2011 at 2:57 pm

My thoughts and prayers go out to Kimmy’s extended family and loved ones..she truly was a special lady that I will never forget..Roadside Marty

34. 34 Shoopy Mar 28th, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Kimmy, Kimmy, Kimmy!!!! We will miss yoy so much!!! I remember the first time I met you at the Chip at Sonny’s party about 6 years ago. You snapped a photo of me and introduced yourself. You were so warm , outgoing and beautiful!!! I always looked for you at every event since. You lit up rooms and light up our heavens now!!! I love you, Kimmy! We’ll never forget you!!!

As for that stupid cager….REALLY???? Dumbass, did you not learn anything in driving school, you stuck up little twerp? Enjoy your little life!!!!

{{{{{{{{HUGS to Kimmy’s family!!!!!!!! }}}}}}}

35. 35 RUB Mar 28th, 2011 at 3:30 pm

what a shame , thoughts and prayers to the friends and family .

36. 36 Keeper..RezRiders IMC Arizona Mar 28th, 2011 at 3:48 pm

CREATOR, We send our prayers to you for our sister our brothers,
    Bless them and their family and friends.
    AHO MITAKUE OYASIN.

37. 37 live2rideaglide Mar 28th, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Everytime I hear of a motorcycle death , I am heartbroken especially when it is another senseless and very avoidable accident. Too often , this kind is a result of a cager seeing the oncoming motorcycle but not giving them the respect they would give another suv or semi. No matter what the root cause( cell phone , big hurry or just plain stupid) the result for the biker is the same. My thoughts and prayers go out to the her family.

38. 38 ray c wheeler Mar 28th, 2011 at 4:14 pm

R I P Kimmy……..

39. 39 Waitaminute Mar 28th, 2011 at 6:08 pm

The newspaper article is contradictory of itself. It states that the driver will not be charged as he was not negligent but a paragraph prior states that he failed to yield before making a left-hand turn in front of the pair on the m/c….

Now….I’m not someone “special”, but doesn’t the fact that he failed to yield indicate his negilgence? Hmmm….

Unbelievable…

Such a very sad & unfortunate loss of a beautiful life. My prayers are for her & her family & the boyfriend.

40. 40 golfish Mar 28th, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Go back 35 years, I’m crusing Valley Blvd in Alhambra Ca, I’m 17 years old. I pull up to the curb where the gangs hanging out and this hard ass biker on a chopper pulls up next to me, bangs on the top of my 69 Ranchero and gives me all hell for turning left in front of him. I never saw the guy.

I’m so sorry for this accident…

In todays world, with all these distractions I’m shocked more people are not hurt.These new cars with the Navigation stystems and TV screens on the front dash have got to go.

41. 41 Arianna Mar 28th, 2011 at 6:27 pm

My condolences. She will be remembered.

42. 42 ~ Stormy ~ Mar 28th, 2011 at 6:32 pm

I can hear the driver now….”But Officer…I never saw the motorcycle!” My dad spent several weeks in the hospital courtesy of a driver like this. I wonder if he/she had a phone to their ear?

Healing energy goes out to all family and friends.

In Sincere Respect,
    ~ The Stormchyld ~

43. 43 hoyt Mar 28th, 2011 at 6:44 pm

Jeff – well said. That 22 yr. old was there and will live with this tragedy the rest of his life.

Rogue:

“Loss Of License: DEFINITELY- The guilty party failed to operate their vehicle in a proper and safe manner and they should be penalized for that.”

It would not take much for the non-riding public to say the same about motorcyclists who choose to ride without a helmet. There are many more of them than there are bikers who understand our hobby and sport. A very minor mishap is all that it takes to cause grave damage to an unprotected head whether it is the rider’s fault or the other driver.

Rest in peace.

44. 44 Jwalker Mar 28th, 2011 at 6:44 pm

Jail/Death jus isnt enough~

45. 45 RedWinger Mar 28th, 2011 at 6:47 pm

I didn’t know Kimmy but from what i read here she was a pretty girl with talent dripping from every pore. The fact that so many people will miss her is a testament to a life with great meaning. That said, I in no way want to belittle anyone who posted here but as a 45 year veteran on 2 wheels I would like to say to everyone here that helmets do save lives…me for example; Could her precious life have been saved by a simple helmet? We often forget, the difference between a cager and a biker is the, cager is an observer on the highway, while we are very much participants. The guy turned left and caused the accident, no question about it. I’ve been in my truck and done the same thing, and I’m a biker. Why? When you are an observer and you are tired, your powers of observation are diminished. Your mind expects to see what it usually sees when you look to see if the lane is clear. A bike is narrow, while a cage is wide. The cager isn’t looking for something narrow and the mind just inserts a blank and the head light gets lost in the background lights of the city. I’ve experienced it on my bike too, with a taxi when he pulled in front of me slowly because he didn’t see me even though he was looking right at me. The answer is modulating head lights. You have to catch the eye of the tired cager. Since putting modulators on my bike I haven’t had a single cager pull in front of me. You guys and gals out there just have to take the lead and make yourself conspicuous. Loud pipes wouldn’t have prevented this accident but modulating head lights might and a helmet may have saved a life.

46. 46 Jeanne Marie Mar 28th, 2011 at 7:03 pm

My heart aches for you all. Peace.

47. 47 rb Mar 28th, 2011 at 10:40 pm

ImagineThat.. you are right on with this comment. But that is asking to much for these self absorbed, self centered people.

Self centered, self important, completly disregard traffic laws, think the world revolves around them I so tired of this.

48. 48 David Mar 28th, 2011 at 11:04 pm

Accidents? Not Negligent? Some one was at fault either the bike going through the intersection or the guy in the car turning in front of them. I wasn’t there so I cant say but someone did not yeild the right of way and it probably was the car who was turning. It’s kind of like backing up….when you put your car in reverse you take full responsibity until you put it in drive and start forward.Someone was Negligent !
    My son quit riding because he kept seeing this kind of accident right in front of his eyes,about once a month where he lives and didnt want to be the next rider down.Some of those died some were luckier.
    RIP….Kimmy

SSDD;David

49. 49 tleehatch Mar 29th, 2011 at 12:09 am

Such a senseless tragedy. Ride with the angels Kimmy you will be missed.

50. 50 Doc Robinson Mar 29th, 2011 at 6:27 am

John Williams has it spot on: “the mentality that Motorcyclists aren’t really any threat to them” -this attitude kills bikers all over the world from turning cagers. Dayglo vests don’t do a damn thing when this is the prevailing attitude. It is almost never a case of “I didn’t see the motorcycle officer” but as John said, the cager not seeing a threat to their personal safety when they see a bike, but a different attitude when it’s an 18-wheeler coming toward them.

51. 51 ROGUE Mar 29th, 2011 at 7:24 am

Jeff Nicklus
    You asked At what point does an “accident” become just that, an “accident”? The news report stated that:

Jeff there are going to be numerous opinions on what you asked and I am not sure that I have the answer But the term Accident has been thrown around for a long time. In the case of traffic collisions and crashes attorneys like to use it to put the thought in people’s minds that it was unavoidable. The question then becomes was it?
    Was the operator of the vehicle doing everything possible to operate in a safe manner? I do not know!
    The excuse I did not see the motorcycle is not valid. Would the one saying that not have seen a child or some one on a bicycle? Saying the sun was in my eyes and I could not see, then why did you move the vehicle? This goes on and on.
    I do know that many states have changed the wording of traffic citations from accident reports to other wording because of what message the wording accident sent to juries.
    I do think some on site investigation is needed and a set of ground rules be set for all and that the final action would be determined by a court. I am under the impression that anytime there is a loss of life that the investigation goes past the on site one and that charges can be filed at a later date.
    What I do know is that many motorcycle rights organizations are pushing for legislation that will require people to be put in jail, lose there license and pay heavy fines to the state.
    This type of legislation has been being submitted in various forms before Kimmy’s death
    In the past these bills did exactly what you ask and that is about why is killing a motorcyclist more or less important than someone else. I agree that it is not. That is why some of this type of legislation has not passed.
    It continues to be introduced to state legislatures around the country and a matter of fact there is one pending in Florida right now and it is being pushed by ABATE of Florida and it does include more than just motorcyclist. The Florida bill calls for Mandatory Jail Time, Loss of License and Large Fines to the State.

What I said was because of what happened to Kimmy that there would be a call for more of this type of legislation submitted and was suggesting that everyone does not just jump on the band wagon to just support anything. I mean no disrespect to Kimmy when I say that my request to contact your legislators is to clearly look at the pending legislation and if you agree support it, if you do not oppose it. Do Not Let Bad legislation Pass just to Get Something Passed. Be careful what you ask for as you may get it.
    Please also realize that there are many in the process of making laws that do not have your best interest at heart. And I am suggesting that all watch this pending legislation very closely and though thoughts and opinions on here and other places is very important it is even more important for all to let their legislators know how you fell and Do Not Let A Small Group of People Speak To The Legislature For You..

Jeff I hope this clarifies some things. Also my opinions and suggestions are only that. Everyone needs to decide what is best for themselves.

52. 52 John L. Mar 29th, 2011 at 9:35 am

Not wearing helmets?
    They shouldn’t have to!
    Any time you operate a motor vehicle you automatically assume responsibility for that vehicle.
    Stop trying to tone down the anger. “Let’s keep our heads…”
    This was not an accident.
    A tree falls on you. That’s an accident. A tornado picks you up and whisks you off to Kansas. That’s an accident.
    And the driver should be held accountable.

53. 53 Dee Mar 29th, 2011 at 9:52 am

RIP Kimmy, may your death not be in vain. your contribution to bikers nationwide has not gone unheralded.
    While I agree that jail time, depending on the situation, should not always be the case. In some cases such as DWI and wreckless driving, it should be regardless of if someone is killed or injured. It’s like shooting a gun into a crowd and missing everyone…there is still a crime committed. I can’t believe he isn’t going to be charge (in the case of Kimmy Chapman for instance) because for some reason, even though he failed to yeild the right of way, which is negligence, the officer said he wasn’t negligent. He needs to be charged, not necessarily jailed but charged. I have to wonder why the kid should get off without so much as a ticket. My imagination has many reasons that I won’t share because some would say I am being a conspiracy theorist. I ride a motorcycle recreationally but drive my truck daily to work. I try and drive behind the bikes on the road because I have an understanding of how they operate. I see cagers daily cut off bikes, turn in front of them and even block the bikers legal right to split lanes because they are “upset” the bikers are using a privilege that is “on the books”. I cannot understand any reason not to at least charge this kid with anything from negligent manslaughter to at least failure to yeild to oncoming traffic to avoid a collision. I also believe that if justice isn’t served in Kimmys case by the authorities then it will be served some other way. I think the kid is better off in the courts.
    Dee

54. 54 chopmonster66 Mar 29th, 2011 at 10:41 am

Never meet her but R I P Kimmy . it is time for drivers to pay more attention to the road insteed of there phone, I myself was ran off the road by a driver that ran a stop sign, luckly i am here to talk about it . but the guy didnt even get sighted for running the sign , told the officer he was having a diebetic attack . It is time for people to get over the motorcycle dosen’t matter mintality. this is not the 1960’s .

55. 55 hoyt Mar 29th, 2011 at 10:54 am

John L. – “shouldn’t have to wear a helmet”. That mindset is not looking at reality.

I don’t want to speak for Jeff, but he probably isn’t “toning down the anger” by writing let’s keep our heads. I bet he is advising to apply the anger in the best way. You’d be hard pressed to find a rider who isn’t angry about driver distractions and the absence of laws forbidding it and/or the weak enforcement of those laws. Manufacturers are to blame too…there’s more technology built into cars to distract a driver.

“A driver doesn’t MAKE SURE there is no oncoming traffic before making a left hand turn…that’s irresponsible negligence. And the driver should be held accountable.”

Mostly agree.
    As Dave mentioned above, an oncoming bike’s profile is invisible under certain conditions. If you don’t believe that, then you’ve been riding lucky.

A helmet-less rider can also compound an accident into a fatality…

I got up and walked away after hitting fine (invisible) gravel that started mid-corner. The corner was picked out, I had a great line and fun lean angle, (i.e. I wasn’t looking for gravel at that point)…rolled on the throttle and the front washed out. Down I went, sliding face down at over 40 mph.

I’m not interjecting this accident may have not been a fatality if helmets were worn, but overall chances dramatically improve when protecting your head, whether the accident be severe or minor.

How fast was Indian Larry going when he was killed? Right, not very fast at all.

56. 56 hoyt Mar 29th, 2011 at 11:12 am

…I agree there should be a charge, he did cause an accident.

The other stuff I mentioned because many comments suggest charging drivers will be the complete solution. Realities are:

– distracted drivers are here to stay, regardless of the severity of charges brought against them (that doesn’t mean they still shouldn’t be charged)

-invisibility of oncoming bikes has always been a problem for drivers.
    -helmets work

57. 57 Michael Mar 29th, 2011 at 1:02 pm

$$$$$$$$$$$
    It’s all about money! If the driver of the vehicle that killed Kimmie and seriously injured Tapper was impaired at the time of the crash, he would be charged with many counts that would generate much revenue for the county. Since the driver was not impaired and there is no money to be made, the county couldn’t give a rats ass who was killed………………….

58. 58 DBL-L Mar 29th, 2011 at 3:28 pm

As a fairly new rider, I always ride like I’m invisible. It’s some of the best advice I’ve gotten. I also always wear a helmet, and often wear a bright, flourescent safety vest, even during the day. I see people do a double take at that vest and can tell that they see me. When long-time bikers ask me, what are you, a crossing guard?”, I just laugh and tell them that I’m wearing my “SEE ME” vest, because I want people to SEE ME!
    Honestly, last spring, I cut off a woman on a bike. It was first thing in the morning, on my way to work in my car. I really didn’t see her. She was mighty pissed off and I don’t blame her. I will never go through that intersection again without remembering her and looking twice.
    My sympathies to all of you missing Kimmy. So sad to hear that a wonderful woman who promoted women bikers is lost. What a shame. Ride safe everyone.

59. 59 David Mar 29th, 2011 at 10:43 pm

I would like to see the statisics on how many Police officers on motorcycles have had accidents like this with someone turning left in front of them?”Honestly Officer I didn’t see you”!

SSDD; David

60. 60 Steve Endress Mar 29th, 2011 at 11:47 pm

Tired of this! Put a g-d–n helmet on! Put some protective gear on! Jesus Christ! Tired of this ” I can’t see, I can’t hear, oh my god I’m not cool, I ride a Harley or custom V-twin” lip service. Professional Motorcyclist wear gear to protect themselves as does anyone with any sense. Football, motocross, vehicle racers all wear protective gear. My sympathies and prayers, but god almighty, of all of the stupid reasons and bulls–t as to why you are better off without a helmet or protective gear and anyone who tries to argue is just making excuses! AND…..you know who you are! Be cool, be hip, be a Harley stud or Chick and don’t plan for the unexpected! It’s all just a bunch of BS! Flame me all you want. I have 4 bikes from Jap to US iron to Euro. 35k a year minimum so don’t tell me I don’t get it! Maybe when enough of us lose our lives, you’ll pay attention but I doubt it. So be cool and die and be maimed on!

61. 61 Wiz Mar 30th, 2011 at 12:55 am

The most important piece of safety equipment isn’t what’s ON your head, but what’s IN it! Never assume that driver sees you, never assume there is no gravel on that corner, never assume your motorcycle is in full operational order, etc. Rogue, you are very knowledgable in your field, my bandana’s off to you, keep it up. My wife is paralyzed from a 16 year old kid “Not seeing the motorcycle”. Always ride like it is your last moment of earth, ever vigilant, because death awaits with every turn of the wheel! Wiz

62. 62 joe dirt Mar 30th, 2011 at 1:38 am

another friend dead because of ignorance HANG UP THE DAMN PHONE . START SEEING BIKERS I CARRY A GUN JUST FOR THIS REASON WAKE UP

63. 63 hoyt Mar 30th, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Wiz – the smart part of what’s IN your head will tell you that you should have something ON your head.

A rider’s days of riding without a helmet are numbered, regardless if there is a helmet law or not. Distracted drivers are not going away.

64. 64 Wiz Mar 31st, 2011 at 5:49 am

Hoyt, Who want’s to live forever, I sure don’t! VALHALLA, I’m coming full throttle! It ain’t the quanity of life, but rather the Quality! Iffin’ yer so concerned about safety, what the hell are ya doin’ on a murdersicle in the first place? Wiz

65. 65 hoyt Mar 31st, 2011 at 10:34 am

Live forever? Nah, but let’s say you happen to survive that fall without a helmet. You now just happen to have no nose or chin and your brain is mush, forcing 24 hour care by someone else. Pretty macho now. Maybe the caregiver will still dress you in your leather vest?

There’s a big difference between “concerned about safety” and not wearing a helmet.

How many incidents involving motorcycle deaths or debilitating injuries could have been avoided if the rider had a helmet on?

Imagine that Wiz, the bulk of riders who had helmets on (and avoided major injury) can wake up today and ride again. Those that don’t wear helmets may find themselves dead from a simple, boring ride along a strip mall, never to go on that next road trip where riding really matters.

66. 66 Sherée and Robert Mar 31st, 2011 at 11:37 am

Kimmy always seem to end her communications with “May God Bless”. God indeed blessed us all with her presence, knowledge, beauty, sincere kindness and example! Your presence here will be greatly missed, but your smile, sparkling eyes and warmth will be felt forever! Thank you our friend!

To her family, Mark Tapp and all of her friends: “Thank you for sharing Kimmy with us!” Kimmy had B.I.G. franchises in a number of states……She is now helping to organize and lead the “B.I.G. Corporate Headquarters” above for us all. She has a great team of our friends and family that are already there, all of which are ready to assist her!

May God continue to bless us all.

Sherée and Robert

67. 67 Jeff Nicklus Mar 31st, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Wiz, Hoyt,

A few years ago I went down in a parking lot in a slow speed encounter with a guy cutting between the rows of parked cars to get to a quicker exit to the street. I had to lay the bike down, at 15-20 mphs, to avoid the collision, which I did …. however, I did manage to break three ribs, broke my collar bone, busted my ego all to hell and I ever so slightly “tapped” my head on the pavement. The head “tap” was so slight that I only had a small dirty spot from the contact on my forehead but it left a hell of a mark on my thinking, I will never ride a motorcycle again without a helmet. With that said I will also say that my wearing a helmet or not is, and should be, my decision just as it should be every riders decision (except my Son, he will wear a helmet or he doesn’t ride!). I don’t need Big Brother telling me what I need to wear or not wear to protest myself from me.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Over & Out,

Jeff

68. 68 live2rideaglide Mar 31st, 2011 at 1:24 pm

How dare anyone even hint that a biker killed by an accident such as this is somehow responsible because they made the lawful choice of not wearing a helmet. Even if we accept that not wearing a helmet increases a rider’s risk of serious injury or death , that does not give cagers a blank check when it comes to their neglience. That reasoning would make an innocent bystander to a shootout
    responsible if they chose not to wear a bullet-proof vest. For too long the powers that be, have turned a deaf ear to bikers and their right to occupy the road and be protected by the same laws as other motorists. I personally wear a helmet , even when I am in states where I have the choice. I personally think that it is extremely risky to not wear a helmet , but that is my chioce and that is the issue. Motorists and motorcyclists alike are equally responsible for their actions on the highway and should be held accountable when they act irresponsibly and cause harm to someone else. You don’t have to ride a motorcycle for very long to experience the lack of concern and disrepect that many cagers exhibit toward bikers. Amen , preach your sermon on helmet use , but not in this context. Bikers are not at fault when cagers run over us . respect-a -glide.

69. 69 hoyt Mar 31st, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Jeff – I mostly agree about helmet laws. I want to be clear that helmet wearing has been stressed and I have not written anything related to adopting helmet laws.

live2rideaglide – when someone can walk away from an accident because they wore a helmet and another rider is killed by a similar (or lessor ) accident because their fragile skull was exposed, then this topic has full relevance to be discussed.

Nowhere, absolutely nowhere within this discussion did I even imply cagers are “given a blank check when it comes to their negligence”. I stated above that the driver in this incident should be charged.

———
    rest in peace & full recovery to the other rider.

70. 70 Lumpy Apr 1st, 2011 at 2:44 am

Sweet, sweet Kimmy. Ride with the Angels. Rest in Peace. Lumpy

71. 71 George G. Apr 1st, 2011 at 8:38 am

My sincere condolences to Kim and her family .R.I.P.Kim

72. 72 Wiz Apr 2nd, 2011 at 4:47 am

I apologize about getting into a pissing match about helmets on this tribute to a wonderful person, who passed on. My condolences. Wiz

73. 73 My2Cents Apr 3rd, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Anyone who thinks it’s all right to not wear helmets should spend an afternoon with Gary Busey.

There’s the law, and then there’s common sense. There are people who disregard the seat belt law and die for that choice. There are people who die due to their choice to not wear a helmet. If the law let you drive with your feet, would that be an acceptable choice? Probably not. Probably not as safe us driving with your hands. Same thing with helmets. Law allows you to go without, but is that the safest choice? Probably not. Hard to argue that riding without a helmet is safer than with.

Only God knows if a helmet would have made a difference, but maybe if others wear them just in case, her death won’t be so meaningless.

74. 74 DJ Apr 3rd, 2011 at 4:31 pm

More ammo for the regulators… Higher insurance rates for all

75. 75 JoJo Apr 3rd, 2011 at 10:23 pm

Kimmy’s death reminds me of when I was hit by a car as a pedestrian … I was told it was my fault I was hit because I wasn’t in a marked crosswalk .. even though I was in an intersection, the driver of the car saw me and waved me on … and there were witnesses who saw the whole thing … witnesses who drove after her and made her stop after she fled and left me in the middle of a busy street … making me vulnerable to any other oncoming car that might not have expected to see a body in their lane! I experienced serious injuries that required two surgeries, three months off work and almost a year of therapy. My insurance benefits ran out before I healed … and I lost my job. The worst of it was that the officer who responded to the scene blamed ME! Because I was a pedestrian! If I had been a car instead of a person, the driver of the car would have been charged with failure to yield and fleeing the scene! It took months of my being mad enough to pursue the case and have the driver who hit me charged. She eventually lost her license and registration but didn’t pay a dime in compensation to me or my family. She’s out there driving now without a thought of what she put me through, or the fact that my right hand and arm are permanently damaged.
    Running over a pedestrian and blaming the pedestrian makes as much sense as killing Kimmy and trying to blame it on her not wearing a helmet! The driver failed to yield to oncoming traffic! Where’s the justice in our System??? It’s OK to kill a pedestrian? It’s okay to kill a biker??? By the way, I used to be a biker, had a mean Screaming Eagle 1200 Sportster, but had to give up riding solo because of the injuries to my right hand and arm. I also had the privilege of meeting Kimmy a couple of times out on group runs. She will be missed.
    JoJo

76. 76 Don Smith Apr 21st, 2011 at 4:03 pm

Dear Friends,
    On least two occasions , Kimmy volunteered her magazine and time to raise money for kids issues. She will be sorely missed.

Don Smith

77. 77 Robert Zuccaro Jun 5th, 2011 at 1:13 pm

Didn’t see them coming or saw them and figured that, since it was “just a motorcycle”, they’d make that left turn in front of them? If I had a dollar for everytime I was “seen” but not “acknowledged”, I’d be a rich man! I met Kimmy at Western Trails once and she was a nice lady who will be sorely missed, not just in the biker community, but the community at large!

Crusher