Lady Gaga. Born This Way?

The music, videos, fashion, and other artistic endeavors of Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta, better known by her stage name Lady Gaga, do nothing to me.  I am completely indifferent to her outré sense of style in fashion, in performance and in her music videos.

But when last week she revealed the cover of her new album called “Born This Way” it hurt my sense of aesthetics. She makes a quite beautiful motorcycle look ugly, which is exactly the opposite of what a woman is supposed to do, if anything, to a motorcycle. The photoshop work makes everything looking wrong in terms of proportions and perspective. I understand the “Born This Way” metaphor, but to turn Lady Gaga into a human motorcycle or a motorcycle into Lady Gaga, either way I go, make me cringe. Even the font is ugly. This artwork put this album cover in the category of the ugliests ever done and I am certain that nor the artist who conceived it nor Lady Gaga are bikers.

48 Responses to “Lady Gaga. Born This Way?”

1. 1 Mastiff Apr 20th, 2011 at 9:02 am

I think its kind of cool
    i couldnt name 1 lady gaga song but from what i have seen of her she’s original

2. 2 zyon Apr 20th, 2011 at 9:36 am

Original? guess you’ve never heard of Madonna have you? If I want to see a freak on stage ,i’ll go to another Alice Cooper concert, Iggy Pop concert or go see Gwar again. At least then you get a good show and the music isn’t crappy bubblegum pop.

Any half cracked photoshop junky would tear this picture apart. The bike really makes me think of the Cpt America bike and it makes me want to vomit thinking of her in the same thought as that classic movie.

3. 3 Paul Apr 20th, 2011 at 9:45 am

Having teenage daughters I’ve heard plenty of her songs. She’s got nothing. Her latest hit is a rip-off of Madonna’s Respect Yourself. I don’t think she is that original either. Just going for shock value like many before her: Dennis Rodman, Marilyn Manson, Alice Cooper . . .but if we’re dumb enough to spend money on her songs because she wears a lobster on her head or has morphed into a motorcycle, then more power to her and her managers. It’s the American Way!

4. 4 Sid Apr 20th, 2011 at 9:53 am

Gaga? no, it is just a commercial product. Good well-done product. Nothing special.
    AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath – these guys really impress!

5. 5 Harry from OK Apr 20th, 2011 at 10:01 am

You said it best Cyril; What ever happened to good music? Guess that died ages ago…

6. 6 MikesHawgPaint Apr 20th, 2011 at 10:34 am

Yikes!
    Poorly executed artwork for sure! Have seen her on the awards shows doing her “thing” but it does nothing for me at all,
    one redeeming part of her charactor though is she is very generous to charities

7. 7 Woody Apr 20th, 2011 at 10:43 am

I liked the font 😉

8. 8 Manhattan Choppers Apr 20th, 2011 at 10:44 am

I think we all try and make the lines look like a woman, maybe not gaga. Jane Russell !!

9. 9 BadMonkeyMW Apr 20th, 2011 at 11:08 am

Who fu*king cares!!?? Do we bother to go on and on about every butt ugly, abortion of a bike that OCC or any other ass clown ‘custom builder’ barfs into existence?? The last thing to waste any time bitching about is some pop star’s album cover art, c’mon guys.

10. 10 A Hotrodder Apr 20th, 2011 at 1:51 pm

dear mr. monkey, I find it just a little odd that out of the other comments before your’s only 2 took time to make a longer comment than yours and no one else needed to use foul language, a little odd from someone that does not care?! It would seem that you care a lot more than most, I was going to pass on by until I read your foul-mouth tirade, c’mon mr. monkey.

11. 11 Delski Apr 20th, 2011 at 2:02 pm

I’d hit it !

12. 12 poppymann Apr 20th, 2011 at 2:40 pm

GWAR!!!!!!!!!

13. 13 1550tc Apr 20th, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Madonna wanna be with no talent just show biz hype………if your if your into these 20 something skanks Iam all in on Katy Parry or Pink

Both her and the bike would be a great ride !!

Cyril after Janis Joplin they are all wanna bees!!!!!!!!!!!

Busted flat in Baton Rouge, headin’ for the train,
    Feelin’ nearly faded as my jeans.
    Bobby thumbed a diesel down, just before it rained;
    Took us all the way to New Orleans.
    I took my harpoon out of my dirty red bandanna,
    And was blowing sad while Bobby sang the blues.
    With them windshield wipers slappin’ time,
    And Bobby clappin’ hands,
    We finally sang up every song that driver knew.

Freedom’s just another word for nothing’ left to lose:
    Nothin’ ain’t worth nothin’ but it’s free.
    Feeling good was easy, Lord, when Bobby sang the blues.
    Feeling good was good enough for me;
    Good enough for me and Bobby McGee.

14. 14 1550tc Apr 20th, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Cyril if you wanna seeORIGINALTY and no talent here is a great home made video………..
    check this out

15. 15 Nobody Apr 20th, 2011 at 3:42 pm

I like her music & enjoy the theatrics, but even I’ll say this album cover is Fugly as get out.

16. 16 Jeff Nicklus Apr 20th, 2011 at 3:54 pm

As we say here in Texas …. that is BUTT UGLY!

Over & Out,

Jeff

17. 17 Nicki Apr 20th, 2011 at 4:42 pm

I agree with @Nobody. I also like some of the music but get a little freaked out by her theatrics. The album cover is ugly. She was just trying to do something different I’m sure since that’s her style. Much of today’s music was inspired from the classics of yesterday. Gaga has a style of her own which would be original in some people’s eyes. But this is definately an interesting Album Cover….do you think she really looked right at it and said ”that’s the perfect one”? haha

18. 18 DJ Apr 20th, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Slow news day??? Why are we even considering this?!?!
    NUFF SAID

19. 19 rebel Apr 20th, 2011 at 5:08 pm

i really like that background color

20. 20 Cantrell Apr 20th, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Not sure what her purpose on earth is but it sure isn’t entertainment!

Cantrell

21. 21 Gas Man Apr 20th, 2011 at 7:27 pm

You guys are forgetting. She’s a marketing genius. And she won this, here we are talking about her, increasing her google hits and making her more money.

22. 22 badams Apr 20th, 2011 at 7:46 pm

“Chopper Rock”

23. 23 jatinder pal Apr 21st, 2011 at 1:12 am

I still don’t like her….

24. 24 baddad Apr 21st, 2011 at 3:48 am

Very, very ugly cover.

25. 25 zyon Apr 21st, 2011 at 5:45 am

Gas Man, how are we raising her Google hits? There are no backlinks to her and without looking, I’d bet the blog is set up for “no follow linking” which makes the blog useless for building page rank off of backlinks.

If anything, this post hurts her. This blog has stature within the biker community. I’m guessing this is not really her demographic but none the less, so many people bashing her style, music and album art work will turn away some people who would have purchased her music.

Now I’m going back to listening to real music! Mr, Cooper’s “No more mister nice guy.”

26. 26 Duncan Apr 21st, 2011 at 6:27 am

If anyone is interested the bike on the album cover started life as Nick Gale’s Predator and here’s what the UK-based custom bike builder had to say about the art work to UK magazine Motorcycle News:

“I felt horror. If I’m totally honest. I was horrified. Then I started to see it a bit more tongue in cheek… but it’s still not what they led me to believe they were going to be doing. I was very surprised to see a lot of Easy Rider stuff grafted onto my bike. But when you look at it, half of one of my bikes on the new Gaga album is better than none.”

27. 27 madpuppy Apr 21st, 2011 at 7:13 am

She is a complete clone of Grace Jones! Only Grace could sing and entertain.

28. 28 burnout Apr 21st, 2011 at 10:15 am

This picture FAILS!!! peace

29. 29 martin Twofeather Apr 21st, 2011 at 1:24 pm

She sucks and with no real talent,and the artwork is worse…

30. 30 Odlamn Apr 21st, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Lots of posts on this one sound like my parents sharing their opinions about my culture values in the sixties.

O.

31. 31 alan Apr 21st, 2011 at 2:05 pm

hi
    i know about rocknroll because rocknroll is my life
    i went to see gaga 2 times last week and for me she rock like nobody at this time
    watch that video and tell she suck’s i dont think so
    and i think this cover is very good for the chopper industry more than american chopper on discovery a lot of young kid will look for a chopper soon

32. 32 Hamilton Apr 21st, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Lady Gaga is not Rock, she is Pop!

33. 33 David Apr 21st, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Sorry it was a slow news day that this had to be posted to the blog…..Maybe just shock value? Dont really know what Cyril was thinking !!

SSDD; David

34. 34 Donnie Apr 21st, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Cyril must have known it would be controversial with a lot of comments and it has a bike in it. Blog marketing…He got you all!

35. 35 DJ Apr 21st, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Hey Alan.. Get a clue there buddy. This is adult swim so cary your butt back to your nap mat while the adults are talking

36. 36 Marc Frantz Apr 21st, 2011 at 4:15 pm

She’s one handsome woman, and yes she was born that way!

The album cover reminds me of Twisted Sister!

Remember the song “We’re Not Going To Take It”
    She’s got Dee Snyder’s snarl.

She speaks to a different generation.

What comes after Gen X&Y?

Hope everyone has a nice Easter!

Peace Y’all.

37. 37 alan Apr 21st, 2011 at 5:01 pm

HI dj
    i work all my life in the rocknroll business i’m 53 years old work on motorcycle since 1974
    i work with a lot of rock star in europe in the 80s and 90s
    i think the next generation need to have some idol and have fun like we did and at this time on the new generation she’s the best

keep rocking

38. 38 DJ Apr 21st, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Alan.. If you are so keen on rock.. Then support rock! Lady Gaga does not fall anywhere near rock and roll. So explain to me again how you are such a rocker? Anyway, how bad she sucks and how big of a baffoon you may or may not be is not the point.. The point is Lady Gaga no more belongs on a motorcycle blog then Martha Stewart and wine tasting. If the kids want an Idol… well god help us all if the future of our country llies with people that idolize that

39. 39 Jose Apr 21st, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Hey, guys. Cyril’s article is about the bad utilization of a bike on an album cover. I was interested to read what he had to say. If you would have been any artist I think Cyril would have written the same words. And I agree with him. Bad use of a bike because the cover is ugly.

40. 40 Drumbeat Apr 21st, 2011 at 6:45 pm

She will never be Madonna, just a very pale immitation, but is already accused of plagiat. “Born This way” song sounds like “Express Yourself” from Madonna. Alan, if Lady Gaga is rock & roll, Ricky Martin must be country music to you. I don’t know where you spent your life, but certainly not in rock & roll. .

41. 41 alan Apr 21st, 2011 at 9:16 pm

dj

she’s not more far from the motorcycle than a tousand of bikes builder overnight in this industry

42. 42 bigalyts Apr 21st, 2011 at 9:28 pm

THIS IS SUPPOSED THE REAL DEAL WITH LADY GAGA…………………………………….SHE IS A DOOD ! SHE HAS HAD SURGEONS AND ONE IN PARTICULAR CHANGE HER COMPLETE “BEING” SHE IS THAT WACKED, ALAN.! ANYONE OUT THERE WANT TO DO HER? THE BIKE ON THE COVER WILL NOT DO 1 THING FOR THE INDUSTRY, GOOD OR BAD! WHO IS THE MORON THAT SAID IT IS MORE MEANINGFUL THEN THE DISCOVERY CHANNEL FEATURING THE OCC SHOW.

43. 43 fluke Apr 22nd, 2011 at 12:19 am

Why the controversy? She makes quite good vanilla pop music if that is your music style, much of which tends to sound similar anyway. But she is a marketing and attention getting genius which is why her name is so well known when there are plenty of just as good artists (or bad, depending on your opinion) barely getting any record sales.

This album cover is just part of that, done to get attention and free publicity. It worked brilliantly when even motorcycle blogs like this one are helping her out.

Personally I like her music, It isn’t super special or unique, but it is catchy and her videos tend to be quite fun.

Besides, without Lady Gaga there wouldn’t be this Wierd Al parody of Born This Way.

44. 44 Wiz Apr 22nd, 2011 at 3:23 am

I wuz gonna say “I could do her” but if she’s a DUDE, I don’t think so! Jus’ can’t tell these days, can ya? YEEZE!! Wiz

45. 45 Grayhawk Apr 22nd, 2011 at 6:50 am

“Judas is the Demon I cling to”, her words released for Easter.

46. 46 DJ Apr 22nd, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Alan…… Never mind! you are clearly a moron and Lady Gaga does not warrant my attention(nor do you)

47. 47 Woody Apr 22nd, 2011 at 10:30 pm