Ride To Work Day Is June 20th 2011

Riding on this day showcases the positive value of motorcycles and scooters for transportation. It is an economical, efficient and socially responsible form of mobility that saves energy, helps the environment and provides a broad range of other public benefits,” states Andy Goldfine, the event organizer. The event has also been recognized by proclamation by over one hundred American cities.

According to the United States Census Bureau and the Department of Transportation, over eighty million cars and light trucks are used for daily commuting on American roads, and about 200,000 motorcycles and scooters are a regular part of this mix. On Ride to Work Day, the practical side of riding becomes more visible as a large number of America’s 8,000,000 motorcycles are ridden to work.

Studies have shown that across equal distances, commuting motorcyclists reach their destinations in less time than those using automobiles, that motorcycles and scooters consume less resources per mile than automobiles, and that they take up less space on roads. Motorcycle and scooter riders seek improved employer recognition and support for this form of transportation, and more public and government awareness of the positive value of riding. More information on RTW Day is available at Ride to Work Day.

10 Responses to “Ride To Work Day Is June 20th 2011”

1. 1 Otter May 10th, 2011 at 2:55 am

Great idea, but can we unofficially change it to “Ride to Work Whilst Wearing Full Protective Gear” Day?
    Especially since there may be quite a few riders that are not used to dealing with heavy traffic on the bike…

2. 2 Boss Hawg May 10th, 2011 at 7:26 am

Will do….show your support and ride!

Boss Hawg

3. 3 Kit Maira May 10th, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Isn’t every day Ride To Work Day?

4. 4 Mike Marquart May 10th, 2011 at 8:02 pm

5. 5 Wiz May 11th, 2011 at 5:03 am

It is in my world. Wiz

6. 6 Angry_Inch May 11th, 2011 at 9:24 am

I ride everyday that I can.. but I suppose those that don’t- or can’t- might find this as a reason to saddleup. And good for those that do.

7. 7 Angry_Inch May 11th, 2011 at 9:26 am

..also, I forgot to add that another good reason to see more bikes on the road is they cause a whole hell of a lot less wear-and-tear on roadways than a car or truck..

8. 8 Kirk Perry May 12th, 2011 at 10:11 am

Would be nice to see some national broadcast about Ride To Work on the level of public awareness to “litter and storm drain/ ocean runoff” awareness.

But, uhhh…… probably should leave any “lane-splitting” footage out of it, or at least try and explain the reason (and stop-light state laws) for it, being that “air cooled” motors have a right to breathe at the front of the pack. No real use for rankling people.

9. 9 Cranky Pat May 16th, 2011 at 10:47 am

Seems like a wonderful idea, but I’m a little puzzled by it really. I ride to work just about every day in the Spring, Summer, and Fall. Here in CT the rain may be really heavy one or two days this week so I may choose the truck but I will even suit up and ride to / from work when it’s raining. I can’t see buying a “garage Buddha” that just sits in the dark five or six days a week.

To each his own I guess.

10. 10 Darryl May 16th, 2011 at 11:38 am

One reason some folks don’t ride to work everyday,…

Well on behalf of someone that doesn’t ride to work everyday, I just want to say that here in Dallas, when the air temperature is 100 degrees, and the blacktop and concrete is even hotter. It isn’t that enjoyable riding a bike in stop and go traffic. (Course I may just be getting old and soft, lol) And on the plus side we get some great December & January weather to ride in lots of days.

So whatever days and whenever you ride, ENJOY!!!