The Revival Of Handy Industries, An American Classic.

On August 18, 2010 I announced that Handy Industries. a well-known name in the motorcycle industry for over 40 years, was closing its doors. At the time, a situation created by the economy in a downward spiral and foreign competition at an all-time high. Not willing to let an opportunity slip through their fingers, within weeks of closing, the owners of Janco Industries, in small-town Sully, IA, jumped at the chance to purchase the company. What started as a specialty metal fabrication shop in 1993, Janco had been manufacturing several components of the Handy products for over ten years.  The loss of business would have been a big blow to Janco.

Rather than focusing on the potential disaster, brothers Mike and Joel Jansen decided to channel their energy into rebuilding Handy Industries into something better than it was. Today, it’s my pleasure to report that Handy Industries is back in business with 40 employees with each inch of Handy products made in America, whether you’re buying a lift for your motorcycle or ATV or a louvered tailgate for your pickup. Handy is again well and alive, so next time you have the opportunity give them a chance to get your business. Handy Industries.

21 Responses to “The Revival Of Handy Industries, An American Classic.”

1. 1 Greg Feb 4th, 2012 at 9:39 am

Good news. Great they are back. But they will need to find a way to keep prices in check with economic realities.

2. 2 Woody Feb 4th, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Thanks so much for letting us know! Looking forward to all of those H-D/Chinese bashers to step up to a Handy for their next lift!

3. 3 ValueTeck Enterprises Feb 4th, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Nice to see in this economy. I wish them well!

4. 4 Paul Aiken Feb 4th, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Great news. Best of luck guys!

5. 5 Mark Moses Feb 4th, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Nothing but Handy in my shop. Quality comes with a price and quality is value. Glad to hear we can count on them in the future.

Mark Moses
    Indian Victory Charlotte

6. 6 Eric Maurer (Evobuilder) Feb 4th, 2012 at 9:04 pm

thank god…. I have an electric Handy and was really wondering where I was going to buy parts if/when the electrics/hydaulics need replacing.

Glad to hear Handy will be around for years to come!

7. 7 James McBride Feb 5th, 2012 at 12:24 am

Great to see these guys in action, I’ shopping around for a lift at the moment as well.

8. 8 Wiz Feb 5th, 2012 at 6:29 am

They got one with “wings” for trikes? Wiz

9. 9 bigalyts Feb 5th, 2012 at 7:35 am

Take a look at the Harbor Freight $299 special after Dinner and you will through your meal up!

10. 10 Mike Tomas Kiwi Indian MC Co Feb 5th, 2012 at 7:51 am

Handy lifts are the best, period. We will never have anything else in our shop. Love their break down tables too. Excellent products.

11. 11 captmike Feb 5th, 2012 at 9:33 am

There is no other more valuable tool in my shop than my 20-year-old Handy Lift. They cost what they cost, which I still consider a good value. Unlike the ‘offshore’ competition, you can actually get service and spare parts (although, I’ve never needed any…) on a Handy Lift. Once you have one in service, you’ll wonder how you ever got along without it!

12. 12 jim Feb 5th, 2012 at 10:23 am

Great news for shops and private individuals!!!! Spend the money, you will never be disappointed! Good things aren’t cheap and cheap things aren’t good!!!!

13. 13 Buy Handy Lift Feb 5th, 2012 at 6:06 pm

This is why we carry Handy Lifts as well – glad to hear this rebuilding benefied not only the Handy Industries name but their customers as well.

14. 14 Heavy Metal Feb 6th, 2012 at 9:11 am

My Handy lift is 18 years old and I have never regreted paying for their quality. Mine is an air cylinder and I’ve never had a problem of any kind. I bought the side extensions a few years ago to work on ATV’s and my yard tractor, worth the money. Good to hear they are building them again.

15. 15 Sara Brown Feb 6th, 2012 at 9:52 am

congratulations to the Jansen brothers! and Good luck….all the Handy products are made in the USA and Handy was a great company to do business with …had bought 3 lifts from and each time it was a smooth professional transactions…..Im sure it will remain that way ….

16. 16 Shanedrive Feb 6th, 2012 at 10:04 am

Have two in my shop. They’re old and have never given trouble……….well, other than letting one down on top of my little pedestal fan. The handy crushed it……..oh well.

17. 17 kenart Feb 6th, 2012 at 10:33 am

I have had Handy lifts in my shop for almost 20 years now. They have served me well. Glad to hear they are back.

18. 18 1550tc Feb 6th, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten ……I just wish more americans would remember this when they buy made in USA products

19. 19 motorcycle medic Feb 6th, 2012 at 1:00 pm

the best lifts at my SHOP! BAR NONE!
    I was saddened to raed that poast years ago…delighted to read this one!
    rock on !

20. 20 Woody Feb 6th, 2012 at 7:23 pm

@Wiz-they have side extensions that give you a 4′ wide platform, great for trikes & ATVs and you can always take them off to get closer to the bike when working on skinnier ones. Would be pretty easy to do partial side wings to just be under the rear wheels of a trike.

21. 21 Wiz Feb 10th, 2012 at 7:14 am

Woody, Already built them on all my lifts. Remember the old tampoon commercial? “It’s got WINGS!!’ Yuk-Yuk!! Wiz

Crusher