CDC: Motorcycle Helmet Laws Reduce Deaths.

In a new federal study released Thursday, the CDC, Centers For Disease Control And Prevention, re-affirms that fewer motorcyclists die in states that require helmets, and the costs to society are lower too.

According to the CDC, motorcycles account for about 3 percent of the registered vehicles on the road. But about 14 percent of the people who die in traffic accidents are motorcyclists. About five times as many no-helmet biker deaths occur in states with less restrictive laws.

The study focused on 2008 through 2010 and counted 14,283 deaths of motorcyclists. That included 6,057 bikers with no helmet. Only about 12 percent of those deaths occurred in the 20 states that required everyone on motorcycles to wear helmets. The researchers also made 2010 cost calculations based on medical expenses and lost work productivity from motorcycle deaths and injuries. “In 2010, more than $3 billion in economic costs were saved due to helmet use in the United States,” CDC Director Dr. Thomas Frieden said in a statement. “Another $1.4 billion could have been saved if all motorcyclists had worn helmets.” The full CDC report can be downloaded HERE.

28 Responses to “CDC: Motorcycle Helmet Laws Reduce Deaths.”

1. 1 Tom Jun 16th, 2012 at 10:47 am

Just another cherry-picking study that works for their results they want.

2. 2 Scott Jun 16th, 2012 at 10:57 am

What they should do is a study of the CAUSE of the accidents and I’ll bet it was inattentive cagers like 95% of the time.

Maybe a study showing that taking away the drivers licenses of those who text/talk/eat/put on make-up, etc in a car and cause a motorcycle accident also reduces accidents is the only way these bean counters will get off our ass and leave us be.

3. 3 rebel Jun 16th, 2012 at 11:58 am

Scott said it all, until they get serious about punishment for the idiots killing us we will be subject to rules and laws made by idiots deciding what is best for us, and the results of studies will not show what actually did the killing. If I don’t have enough coverage for the medical care in an accident that’s my fault, just pull the damn plug, you sure won’t hear any complaints from me! Support Freedom or surrender everything. (o k democrats it’s your turn to tell me why i’m wrong)

4. 4 obvious guy Jun 16th, 2012 at 12:17 pm

hey, do you mean that if i smash my head in I’ll die, but if I don’t smash my head in I wont die? Thats just what the fat cats in Washington want us to believe! Everyone knows that accidents involving overwhelming kinetic force trauma to the most sensitive organ in the human body, one armoured by thick bone plates, will cause little or no damage to the victim’s self esteem if his hair is still good, and no one can call him a pussy for trying to protect himself. Like the Nursery rhyme goes, sticks and stones wont break my bones but names will always hurt me.

5. 5 Icon Jun 16th, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Makes wonder why the CDC of all places is doing statistics on helmets and motorcycle wrecks. Maybe it’s just me but, shouldn’t they be sticking with their so called “specialty” aka DISEASES. Good lord everything that was said before me is correct. How about you compare car wrecks and airplane crashes. You have a 1 in 5000 chance of getting in a car wreck v. a 1 in 11,000,000 chance of being in a plane crash. CDC helloooooo you’re beating a dead dog with this study go back to looking at micro organisms with your microsocpes….

6. 6 Colin Jun 16th, 2012 at 12:49 pm

It’s obvious that a large number of accidents are caused by us getting hit by dickhole drivers texting. What I don’t get is why anyone wouldn’t want to wear a helmet. If it means that I won’t be a vegetable for the rest of my life (and not be able to ride), never mind death, due to a TBI, I will take the helmet then. It’s not an issue to the man telling us what to do, that argument has no grounds. I am not saying that helmets will always prevent these things, it will however decrease the incidences and that’s good enough for me.

7. 7 Zipper Jun 16th, 2012 at 6:21 pm

I choose to ride with a full helmet in a state that has no helmet law. My choice. That is the way it should be. Like they say five dollar helmet five dollar brain. ..Z

8. 8 nicker Jun 16th, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Well, outlawing Motorcycle altogether would save way more lives….
    Follow that logic, the government should lock us all in a padded room.

What’s the point …..???

-nicker-

9. 9 Nobody Jun 16th, 2012 at 10:17 pm

And statistically that works to about 0.00293 % of the deaths in America per a year.

4.5% of deaths per a year are attributed to poverty.

a little more than 5 times as many people die of Alzheimer’s disease,
    Diabetes, about 5x more people
    Influenza / pneumonia about 4 times as many

Call me crazy but I think there is something that needs to be taken care of first before chasing an insignificant percentage of deaths.

Honestly, I don’t give people shit for wearing / not wearing a helm. It’s their choice.

10. 10 BlueStrada Jun 17th, 2012 at 9:12 am

Gee Whiz… Can that really be a surprise to anyone? Maybe the savings of $3 Billion in economic costs will surprise folks… as most don’t think about who pays when someone gets nailed and ends up pretty much helpless and soon to be broke!

11. 11 Larry R Jun 17th, 2012 at 11:23 am

Typical government waste of taxpayers money patronizing us and pushing the use of helmets via insurance companies. Why do they pick on us? Because they can. Frankly, I don’t care what “they” say. I’m an American and can think for myself. Who really needs these government tapeworms anyway? LH&R

12. 12 JanBOLT Jun 17th, 2012 at 3:29 pm

This is not truthful reporting and should be labeled as one-sided safety nanny propaganda by whatever print/internet publication helps to spread the propaganda. It is the kind of report we often see from anti-motorcyclist organizations such as AAA, and anti-liberty organizations. It does not tell the whole truth. For example, from the same report:

ALMOST 60% OF DEAD MOTORCYCLISTS WERE WEARING HELMETS.

Of course, the way they worded it is that more than 40% were not.

Also, they never report the number of motorcyclists wearing helmets who end up paralyzed or with severe or fatal neck injuries. Meanwhile, police continue to tell news reporters when a dead motorcyclist was not wearing a helmet, but the news never reports the death was due to another injury, and the news never reports when the motorcyclist was wearing a helmet and the brand of helmet. When helmets fail, I would like to know the brand names. Most people do not bother reporting helmet failures to the ODI (office of defects investigation within the NHTSA). To complain about your helmet, (everything from it being too hot or a bug flew in it and stung you or it obstructed your vision or it failed to protect) you can do so at https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

13. 13 TigerLily Jun 17th, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Didn’t get past the first paragraph. Bottom line is this: I own my body, and I own the fruits of my labor. My head, my choice, my responsibility to deal with the consequence of my choices. Take away choices and what do we have? SLAVERY!

All things are hazardous to our health – even breathing. Because guess what? Life is temporary. Do we REALLY want to be someone’s slave? That’s what the vast majority of laws are all about – to give our slave masters (cops) the authority to castigate we the sheeple.

Think about it. Who’s freedom will the next law take away?

14. 14 Mike Greenwald Jun 17th, 2012 at 3:57 pm

CDC has what interest in this funded by what money?

Were all these dead motorcyclists diseased? Was the disease, bureaucratosis?

15. 15 Olive oil Jun 17th, 2012 at 6:38 pm

300,000 miles accident free until one beautiful morning in Montana on the interstate. Blow out at 70 and the damn helmet I never enjoyed wearing saved my life. I’ll be damned !!!

16. 16 Kirkland Jun 17th, 2012 at 8:33 pm

~ Head Trip Helmets ~
    Their goal is customer satisfaction. I wear a carbon-fiber they made in U.S.A.
    Orlando, Florida
    http://carbonfiberhelmets.com/ Non-DOT

17. 17 Ax Jun 17th, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Funny how twenty years ago a neutral study by the University of Arizona came to exactly the opposite conclusions. Their study showed that not only were there fewer injuries per accident in free states, but fewer accidents per mile traveled and lower medical costs per injury! Now this was not divided up into helmeted and non-helmeted accidents. It was only a comparison between nazi states and free states, and it showed free states save money when it comes to motorcycle injuries and costs. Makes a difference when there’s no ax to grind, eh?

18. 18 Will Jun 17th, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Whatever side of the fence you’re on, whether for or against wearing helmets, does not matter. Everyone should be looking at how this report is skewed with it’s statistics. If you can’t do that, then you’re not paying attention.

And for the people who feel high and mighty because they wear their helmet:

1. Safety is an illusion.
    2. No one gets of of this life alive.

Debate aside, let’s just get out there and enjoy the open road while we can…

19. 19 cigarman Jun 17th, 2012 at 9:09 pm

They always bring up cost. How much does it cost for all these people on food stamps and welfare that refuse to find work and some of these women that have five or six children by different dads that weall have to pay for? How much does that cost?
    How much money was spent on this study?
    Let each individual make up his own mind.

20. 20 Hungouver Jun 18th, 2012 at 4:33 am

I love when the govt tells us how money could be saved.

21. 21 Sara Brown Jun 18th, 2012 at 9:00 am

I wear one regardless

22. 22 Bear Jun 18th, 2012 at 10:27 am

I don’t know,maybe I am missing something here but what the hell does the CDC, which I take it is to mean the Center for Disease Control have to do with motorcycles,helmets or any thing pertaining to such??? Is it some kind of new contagion ?

23. 23 Woody Jun 18th, 2012 at 10:33 am

My unofficial survey concluded wasting tax monies on all these useless gummint agencies increases the chances of starving to death. Going for a ride now, protective doo rag will be on.

24. 24 Kroeter Jun 18th, 2012 at 11:08 am

We don’t need all these studies to tell us what we already know: Two wheels with virtually no protection are obviously more dangerous than four (or more). So yes, our fatality percentages will be higher, helmets or not. Seat belts don’t always work either.

If they are going to spend money on these studies, how about a little more detail on the cause of the fatalities, how many were:
    hit by other vehicles
    rider error (cornering too fast)
    alcohol-related
    bad luck (deer)
    road conditions (loose gravel)

25. 25 Newyorkmyke Jun 18th, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Great comments! You’re damn right the govt has no business telling us how to dress! Especially since the govt can’t do anything effectually or efficiently, even though they keep stealing our money, and borrowing more expecting us to pay it back and they have a center for disease control studying helmets!! That’s sic(pun intended!). The disease is mannyitus and it is prevalent in liberals mostly as well in a large majority of democrat voters and all democrat politicians! It is the disease that is sapping this great country of its real strength, the free will of Americans to stand on our own two feet and create the lives we want for ourselves! It saps our creativity, our resilience, our willingness to take risks and the courage to fight for what we believe in. When you’re always fighting your own govt you soon lose your edge and your convictions: it’s natural. The govt doesn’t convince you to change your mind and think for yourself: they force you to listen or else. We’re like dogs on the govt leash and they tug. But we don’t all shrug and that’s why I truly appreciate most of the comments here. We get this has NOTHING to do with helmets. Thankyou, it’s encouraging and makes the fight worthwhile! America is still in there someplace ready to come out fighting…maybe on November 6th!!!

26. 26 Jawno Jun 19th, 2012 at 5:36 pm

What a total waste of government resources. The CDC should be SEVERELY REPRIMANDED for even conducting this study. Of course considering that they just also put out a brochure about how to prepare for “zombie apocalypse” I have to wonder if maybe a sanity check isn’t more in order. Seems like maybe a disease is out of control to me.

27. 27 Blackmax Jun 19th, 2012 at 6:42 pm

F%^( the CDC !!!!!!
    They don’t know anything about us and we certainly don’t want to know anything about them !!!!!
    Most people have their hands full trying to run their own lives, don;t need somebody from somewhere trying to do it for me ……
    Let those who ride decide….

28. 28 Cybersurfingalien Jun 20th, 2012 at 8:40 am

The problem with this is that 6057 people died WITHOUT helmets, so 8226 died WITH helmets. How does that make helmets safer? Also, they are not telling us if the death resulted of a head injury.

Crusher