In October 2011, after the announce by Hoka Hey organizers Jim and Beth Durham, that all 11 contenders were disqualified (those who finished the 14,000 miles from Arizona to Nova Scotia, Canada inside the allotted time) and that nobody would receive the promised prize money (including $250,00 cash and a $40,000 motorcycle for the top winner) I interviewed William Barclay, already winner of the 2010 edition and again the 1st one to go through the finish line in 2011. At that time, Barclay gave me very little information about his conflict with the organizers, but promised to contact me first as soon as he could talk…

Yesterday, Barclay contacted me and gave me with a copy of the lawsuit he just filed in District Of Arizona against “The Medecine Show Land Trust” (James G. Redcloud, Elizatheth Durham) and E.B. Chester (Harley-Davidson Mesa, AZ) for breach of contract, breach of covenant, intentional interference with contract, intentional interference with business advantage, slander, libel, conspiracy. He is requesting a jury trial and asks the defendants to pay him a total of $5.29 million in damages, plus attorney fees and court costs. I attach a full PDF copy of the lawsuit at the end of this article.

I summarize the allegations made by William Barclay in this lawsuit:

Will Barclay was the first entrant to reach the appointed destination within the allotted time. Organizers refused to turn over the 1st place prizes, $250,000 in cash and the promised $40,000 Harley-Davidson motorcycle (plus $10,000 in cash that the winner’s home dealership was supposed to receive.) Barclay was disqualified for failing a polygraph test that he actually passed. Barclay states that he passed the polygraph (as confirmed first by the person who administered the test and by Jim Durham) but that later  at the “awards ceremony”, organizers accused him, without any justification, of having used “countermeasures” (techniques to control breathing and heart beats during interview) to defeat this polygraph test.

Other allegations include the fact that one of the defendants, E.B. Chester, owner of Harley-Davidson Mesa (starting point of 2011 Hoka Hey Challenge), conspired with the organizer to fabricate reasons to disqualify him. E.B. Chester was in charge of designing the 2011 route, participated to the Hoka Hey and entered into a rage because Will Barclay was ahead of him during the ride although Barclay believes Chester was driving on some portions at speeds well over 110 mph (Chester ended up crashing his motorcycle and breaking one leg!)

Although Barclay won the competition and passed the administered polygraph test, days later on October 9, 2011 just before the awards ceremony, the Durhams, Chester and Ribacoff (who administered the polygraph) declared to the other 10 contenders (those who completed the challenge inside the allotted time) that Will Barclay was disqualified. They would have publicly stated to the other participants that William Barclay was a CIA Operative with training in polygraph countermeasures who had deceived the organization both during Hoka Hey 2010 (when he won $500,000) and Hoka Hey 2011. In the lawsuit, Will Barclay affirms that he is not a CIA Operative nor that he has ever been trained in polygraph countermeasures…

I asked Will Barclay why he waited 8 months to file this lawsuit. From London where he is right now, Will gave me the following answer:

“I waited for a long time for tracking and other data that was promised to me by Jim Durham.  Jim told me at the 2011 “awards ceremony” that he had paid the other riders, and that he would pay me too.  I was not present when 8 other riders accepted $10k and a trophy.  I was told that I would be paid.  Empty promises turned to threats.  Over the months that followed, the slander and conspiracy by the defendants was revealed to me by other riders and Hoka Hey insiders.  I needed to clear my name and claim what I earned.”

As you can see, the Hoka Hey controversy is not going away, but intensifies with the honesty of the organizers now being challenged in a court of law front of a jury. A full read of the lawsuit is very “entertaining”… The 2012 Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge edition is scheduled to start on August 5th. Will this lawsuit forever prevent the Durhams to organize again their motorcycle event? I would be inclined to think so, either  the 2012 edition being canceled or being the last one.  You can read the full complaint by clicking on William Barclay Versus Hoka Hey Challenge And Chester. (to follow)

122 Responses to “Exclusive. Will Barclay, Winner Of Hoka Hey 2010 And 2011, Sues Organizers Jim And Beth Durham For 5.29 Million.”

1. 1 Ray Jun 27th, 2012 at 8:05 am

What can I say. It had to happen. LOL.

2. 2 Shifter Jun 27th, 2012 at 8:11 am

Jim “Red Cloud” Durham running back to his tepee. Hee, hee.

3. 3 CHOPMONSTER66 Jun 27th, 2012 at 8:28 am

Good luck Will , Hope you get what you ask for , and put those guys out of business forever!!!!! Jim “red cloud ” Durham needs to be scalped just like the good old days…. karma is a bitch !!!!!!

4. 4 Bruce Jun 27th, 2012 at 8:51 am

From day one Cyril is the only one to have done journalistic work on Hoka Hey. The others supported it to get advertising from the Durhams. Are they paid? And now, are they going to continue to support this dangerous race where so many promises were broken (no money given to charity, no water brought to the poor Lakotas, rules changed all the time, prizes not given under many pretexts, etc), no compassion for the families of those killed or for the injured. I think Barclay is going to win this one and put the Durhams out of business. So, this lawsuit is very good news.

5. 5 Kelley Jun 27th, 2012 at 9:06 am

I guess it’s the end of Jim Durham magic money tricks. Karma has arrived.

6. 6 T. Barowski Jun 27th, 2012 at 9:13 am

If I was registered for Hoka Hey 2012 I would immediately request having my entry fee refunded.

7. 7 Matt Jun 27th, 2012 at 9:17 am

Surprised this didn’t come about sooner but glad it did. I highly doubt if he wins he will receive anywhere near 5 million but the Durhams need to at least answer for what happened in a court of law. I would especially be interested to hear the specifics of what role or influence Harley-Davidson and it’s individual dealerships had in that race as well.

8. 8 86Cavalcade - Texas Jun 27th, 2012 at 9:37 am

Well it’s been a couple of years now since there was another Rally proposed “Guts and Glory” and so many spoke out against that great opportunity ( I went to LA, rode for 7days in terrible weather by myself because no one showed). It’s such a shame G&G would have been a great rally and probably fewer folks injured or dead. I hope the G&G organizers consider bringing this back.

9. 9 burnout Jun 27th, 2012 at 10:03 am

I will let my girlfriend comment on this one…..” OMF’inG” peace

10. 10 Piney13 Jun 27th, 2012 at 10:04 am

“Jim Durham magic money tricks, Karma has arrived.” like

11. 11 Brescia Jun 27th, 2012 at 10:24 am

Red Cloud, get out of the motorcycle business.

12. 12 fuji Jun 27th, 2012 at 10:53 am

Hoka Hey run designed /created by a person “Jim Durham ” smarter than its participants. Sad but true. You proved it.

Your greed for participating makes one a NINNYHAMMER.

Tell me why one would participate when they know their going to get kicked in the nuts at the finish line. Gee I cant wait to get there. I NEED MY BAG TIGHTENED UP A LITTLE ! LOL

Shame on them for the first opportunity to immerse / baptize you , shame on you for participating / believing second and third time around.

Its a Flim Flam game and you participated.

Hopefully none of you have children to teach.

I will bet the Mo Co buys the participant list. That would be a winner

Sympathy from me , No!.

I didnt say that I agree with his tactics or like the man but maybe he should run for President and Jerry Sandusky as Vice. Take it ether way. LOL

13. 13 Drake Jun 27th, 2012 at 11:31 am

Approving Fuji comments. I put all Hoka Hey riders in the same bag of stupid bikers who believed Jim Durham when he told them that they would become real men and true bikers only after racing day and night on a bagger on thousand of miles. Complete BS working well with all those with low IQ. Exception is Will Barclay who seems intelligent and did it only for the money because he knew he had the training and the exceptional endurance abilities to win big bucks.

14. 14 macawsj Jun 27th, 2012 at 11:59 am

I’m not one to say “I told you so”……but
    I’ve been part of the Anti-Hoka Hey movement since 2010 when all of the shady happenings started, lies told (by HH organizers), etc. I hope that Will prevails in this lawsuit, but I doubt he’ll ever see any $.

This isn’t the first time James Durham has been sued by people he has scammed* and it gripes me that he can blatantly con people so publicly and get away with it. I hope that someone can finally stop him (and his cohorts). Durham has probably tried to protect all his assets by putting them in Beth’s name or one of his companies. i.e. Medicine Show Land Trust, Hidea Corp in Florida, or one of Beth’s companies.

Good Luck, Will, and I have saved a lot of communication from the 2010 HH blog that Beth and Jim wrote, plus some other research that people in the Anti-HH group have done.

*see “The Great Buffalo Caper” written by Maximillian Potter. (another scam Jim Durham got away with)

15. 15 Gallhager Jun 27th, 2012 at 12:08 pm

I bet that HD Mesa is now going to sue the Durhams to try to protect themselves. If Barclay doesn’t get any money from the Durhams, at least he will have a judgment against them, something stopping them from any new Hoka Hey. I think that Barclay will get some money (settlement) from HD Mesa.) The lawsuit is great news. Notice that for Hoka Hey 2012 Cyril reported that prizes announced will be calculated (how?) depending of entrants total fees. I guess it also means after the Durham pay themselves. Remaining money? Zip.

16. 16 Slimmer Jun 27th, 2012 at 12:30 pm

The IRS may be interested in looking at the Hoka Hey/Jim Durham bookkeeping and reporting. Was there $250,000 in cash available for the winner? Or available only to the organizers? The lawsuit discovery phase is going to be very interesting.

17. 17 unknown Jun 27th, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Maybe Frank Kelly should sue Will Barclay for his share of the 2010 prize money.

18. 18 macawsj Jun 27th, 2012 at 1:40 pm

I agree with “unknown” but Frank isn’t that kind of guy. He’s a straight-shootin’ true blue biker that just goes with the flow. And Frank just won “The American Motorcycle Rally” ☺☺☺☺☺☺☺ Congrats to Frank!

19. 19 realist Jun 27th, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Frank got his share of the 2010 prize money, Barclay paid him even though Frank missed a checkpoint. Hats of to both men.

20. 20 FOOLS Jun 27th, 2012 at 1:58 pm

NIGAA PLEASE…. will is as dirty as big jim….

21. 21 macawsj Jun 27th, 2012 at 2:03 pm

@ realist:
    Frank did get a small sum from Will well after the 2010 HHC, but it was NOT the half and half deal that they both had agreed on as they sat at the H-D checkpoint in Fairbanks waiting for it to open.

22. 22 Beleiver Jun 27th, 2012 at 3:08 pm

As for the Hoka Hey Riders, they signed contracts that the rules could be changed at anytime by the organizers. The rules clearly stated no careless or wreckless driving. In most states 20mph over the speed limit is considered to be wreckless driving. Tracking devices and the finishers themselves, all admitted doing 20 over the limit. Organizers stuck to the rules, unlike most riders.The Hoka Hey Challenge is about a riders honesty, and integerity. Many riders showed they had neither. I beleive the organizers know this about people and money. Will Barclay could never say publicly that he is a spook, What kind of fool would think he would. I know he spends a lot of time overseas, and never mention his job or company. The HHC is tough, the haters have found out they are not.

23. 23 hoyt Jun 27th, 2012 at 3:51 pm

This whole thing is strange.
    Why would anyone not ride in the freedom of their own route instead of some silly “challenge” ?

24. 24 MM108 Jun 27th, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Riding 20 MPH over the speed limit isn’t considered reckless driving. I have yet to find one state that clearly states in writing that riding 20mph over the speed limit is considered reckless driving. The fact is you can get a reckless driving ticket going the speed limit, depending on the circumstance. The tracking devices do not know the speed limit of the road, only the speed you are going.

25. 25 Jeri...no hiding here. Jun 27th, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Believer….”The Hoka Hey Challenge is about a riders honesty and integrity.” ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? The HHMRACE and the organizers don’t have a clue what that is! I was with my husband in the KW riders meeting, August 19, 2010 the night before the illegal race started. Big Jim is on record saying “I LIED to get you here.” LOL….really, HONESTY AND INTEGRITY? JIM AND BETH HAVE NEITHER! It appears that you haven’t figured them out yet…….IT’S ALL ABOUT THE $$. They paid out to those 2011 top finishers in an attempt to save face and keep their a@@ out of trouble. Certainly NOT because they are honest. OMG….do your homework…..Jim is a scam artist from way back.

BIG SHOUT OUT to Ricky O’Barr, coin #49, finisher #99 and Jeff Charlton, finisher #100! You guys are what this ride was all about…..brotherhood to the finish! <3

26. 26 Rodent Jun 27th, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Hey all you guys who still believe Hokan Hay is for real I got a better deal. While going through some old papers I just found the original title to the Brooklyn Bridge which I’ll sell to the first sucker who brings me a million dollars in gold 24k. Come on, who is going to be stupid enough to believe me?

27. 27 Wally Jun 27th, 2012 at 7:09 pm

This is awesome! About time those evil Durhams get their comeuppance.

28. 28 Guy Jun 27th, 2012 at 7:31 pm

On the basis of the allegations contained in the complaint, if proven, It seems to me that Jim the Red Cloud could face several felony charges. Among them, Barclay’s attorney could for example ask proof that the cash money of $250,000 + $10,000 for the dealer was in fact in an escrow account before the date this prize was publicly announced to potential competitors, ready to be given to the winner. If not, it’s deception by fraud. It would prove that Jim Red Cloud premeditated a strategy to avoid any winner. If the money was there, who got the money? Jim & Beth Durham? A company? Which one? Declared to the IRS as income in a 2011 personal or business tax return? There is a lot to discover for a smart attorney.

29. 29 Roger Jun 27th, 2012 at 8:53 pm

I bet that Hoka Yey 2012 will be canceled.

30. 30 Roger Jun 27th, 2012 at 8:55 pm

I bet that Hoka Hey 2012 will be canceled with Jim Durham keeping the “non-refundable” entry fees he already got…

31. 31 kc cheef Jun 27th, 2012 at 11:11 pm

How you going to sue a genu-wino Indian Chief/Nam era Green Beret (Yep–true story–I heard it personally when he showed me the prayer staff with the ear bag tied to it I did a little research, and it seems Jimmy is a story teller for sure!!!) Jimmy boy does have his dream time.
    UGG–SOMEONE speaks with fork–ed tongue.
    Seems so strange to me to listen to Jimmy when he forgets to talk in his 50’s Movie Star Indian Dialect he sounds just as redneck as me.
    He is an interesting critter for sure though if you research his past art projects.
    Me hear-um war drums!!!!

32. 32 Fox Jun 28th, 2012 at 5:57 am

I was one of the top finishers in the great 2011 Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge and I will be there in the 2012 Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge ! People I’m just going to tell you like it is ! All of the top riders including your boy broke the very very clear rules that Beth Durham made clear over and over and over both the night before the event and the morning the event started ! It is just a fact and like true men 10 of the 11 admitted it and took there lumps like the men they are ! No we were not happy about it but for the future of this great event we knew it was the wright thing to do ! Speed was not the only rule your boy broke but communicating with others was another one of the most important rules that he broke and that is just another fact, period ! Just as he ripped Frank off he tried to rip the Hoke Hey Motorcycle Challenge off and it isn’t going to happen ! I never met Beth Durham before I signed up for the Hoka Hey last year but I can tell you all this is one of the most caring, sincere, people I have ever met in my life ! She begged us to be safe and follow the rules again and again ! You people who think this is a stupied way to Challenge yourself stay home on your couches and keep hatting because you don’t and never will get it but there are a few hundred of us who think this is the coolest and most exciting way to ride and thats what makes the world go round ! There are a lot of people who love to watch us on that tracker ! WB pay Frank ! You owe him ! You made the deal ! Man to Man ! Just like you made the deal to follow the rules ! You know what you did and all of us know what you did ! Do the wright thing W.. Fox # 601

33. 33 Harold Jun 28th, 2012 at 6:41 am

Interesting under oath statement by Barclay in paragraph 29 that he in fact was paid $500,000 for winning the 2010 HH. One wonders whether Barclay paid and whether the HH organizers withheld any federal or state income taxes.

34. 34 burnout Jun 28th, 2012 at 8:59 am

Fox, If Safety was the issue the whole “Challenge” could NOT exist!!! I have said MANY times that there is NO way to do this ride safely and follow their “rules”! peace

35. 35 Screwed by Redcloud too Jun 28th, 2012 at 10:09 am

How come when I met Redcloud he had a Jersey accent?

36. 36 Bikerblondie Jun 28th, 2012 at 10:21 am

Beleiver…learn how to spell your name…really!

BELIEVE me you are full of crap

37. 37 mm108 Jun 28th, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Fox, speak for yourself. Being one of the top finishers myself I can tell you that I didn’t break any of the “very clear” rules. In fact if they thought I was breaking any rules they should have DQ’d me at the first available checkpoint. Not to so is negligent on their part. The fact is the Hoka Hey didn’t have the money to pay out, a fact Jim admitted. They looked for a reason to disqualify the top eleven because they didn’t have the money, period.

38. 38 Roger Jun 28th, 2012 at 12:50 pm

You mean that Jim Durham didn’t have the money after putting all dollars of the prize money in his pockets?

39. 39 Fox Jun 28th, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Burnout, I respectably disagree. I rode 15161 miles in 15 days and never felt like I or the public were in danger at any time. You have to know your limits and stay within those limits ! Now I understand this isn’t for everyone but motorcycle riding in general comes with risks and that is just the way it is. I really don’t know that many people who have ridden in both Hoka Hey events and just recently the American Motorcycle Rally that didn’t have the time of their life. Most are going to do it again I think, and if Jim and Beth are really crooks then why would people keep coming back? The people who have done both of these are a very tight bunch who I really think will back me on this as they loved the challenge. Burnout if you love motorcycles as much as me you know it’s about the freedom of doing what you want and respecting people for what they are and what they represent because we are free. You can never make everyone happy and there will always be haters ! Challenge yourself and come ride with us in the 2012 Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge because you will have a blast and you will meet some very cool and unique people. If you follow the rules and win you will also get paid ! The Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge did for a fact pay out $ 500,000 in 2010 and over $ 100,000 in 2011 and if anyone can dispute that please raise your hand now or forever keep your pie hole shut ! If they stole your money please tell us how exactly how say it out loud right here right now ! I am not a friend of Jim’s but I just have never seen proof he has stollen money from anyone ! “It’s All About the Ride” Fox #601

40. 40 Hal Faher Jun 28th, 2012 at 1:24 pm

WOW, I am so surprised by this. (Extreme sarcasm)

41. 41 Fox Jun 28th, 2012 at 1:41 pm

MM108 if you didn’t break any of the rules we really need to talk to Jim about getting you that check. I am on your side my friend. If you didn’t speed, talk to anyone to help you on that ride, stayed on route,use a GPS, can pass the polygraph and drug test I really think you should be paid ! I would just like to know who you are and why you didn’t pick up the money ! You may have a lawsuit yourself ! If I knew in my heart they owed me the winning prize I would collect one way or the other ! Jim didn’t have the money anyway is just not an excuse to collect if you followed the rules !

42. 42 mm108 Jun 28th, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Fox, I finished ahead of you. I was the only one who lost my temper and got kicked out of the meeting. I never understood why no one else in the group of finishers lost their temper after being accused of cheating. I did the entire course, and I don’t own or use a gps. Of course I sped; everyone did, but I didn’t get a ticket or ride reckless and that was the rule. I didn’t fail the lie detector test or the drug test and I didnt get help from anyone. The lawsuit is being worked on as we speak.

43. 43 fuji Jun 28th, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Fox .

What puzzles me is how can so many participate and finish this challenge when there are so many ” Nascar replays ” on the speed channel.

44. 44 Boss Hawg Jun 28th, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Hoka Hoax!

To all of ya that rode…shame on you! As Abe said once a fool shame on you, twice a fool shame on me. You are the biggest of damn fools and drama queens that I have seen write here…I put you right up there with those that Big Bear Choppers took their hard earned money and the ones Don Proudfoot screwed….SUCKERS!

Maybe Jim & Beth teamed with Mona & Kevin with the grand finale ride the mountain…Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, here I am Stuck in the middle with HOKA HOAX SUCKERS!

Live Your Life Wisely and Get A Life…and some friends too…hahahahaha

Riding is fun fun fun…Vroom vroom vroom,
    Boss Hawg

45. 45 Fox Jun 28th, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Hey Mike. I was happy I got what I got as we all got caught up in the speed and went over what I thought Beth made very clear was the limit. I am not judging you for what you think is right but I think you are the only one who really had a problem with the deal. I really believe Beth said it over and over and over again and that is why I think I and the other guys (and I am not speaking for any of them)can live with it. I just know if I would have stuck to my original plan I would not have had to speed and I could have done very well. I got caught up in it just like you and the others and I have to live with the outcome. I know many people have a problem with Jim but I can really only blame myself for my actions and if I didn’t go over the limit I would go after my money too. I did go over the limit and if Jim didn’t pay me a nickel I could have lived with it. I wish you all the best and hope to ride with you in the future ! You missed a great ride in the American Motorcycle Rally we had a blast and it was a great format. Hope you do it next year as Jimmy ,Greg, and the sponsors put on a first class ride and party ! Take care !

46. 46 Fox Jun 28th, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Boss I’ve had more fun on accident that you have had trying ! But you and your posts crack me up keep um coming ! You could never understand people like Jim, Kevin, Mona, Beth, Don, or myself ! We are people who give it everything we have and sometimes it doesn’t work out but that doesn’t make us crooks or bad people. There are a lot of other factors in this screwed up economy that we the people can not control ! If you think Kevin and Mona wanted to close the business they worked 15 hours a day for many many years at you are mistaken. Kevin and I have had our problems in the past but I have to say this guy and his wife worked there asses off and never thought they would have to close BBC. Give um a break Boss !

47. 47 Boss Hawg Jun 28th, 2012 at 4:56 pm

@ Fox

So you say….
    Your conjectures are simply foolish without merit.

They all should be scalped!

Enjoy My Dear!

Life Goes On,
    Boss Hawg

48. 48 fuji Jun 28th, 2012 at 5:07 pm

Boss Hawg

The fox is just yanking the chain plus someone else. Probably doesn’t own a bike.

49. 49 burnout Jun 28th, 2012 at 7:26 pm

I have ridden SEVERAL 1000+ mile days and agree it isn’t for everyone nor should it be. However, I have YET to pay a thousand bucks to anyone for the “privilege” of doing so! peace

50. 50 Bodhi Jun 28th, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Fox, just forgive and then ignore that “Boss Hawg” jackass ’cause he obviously hasn’t a clue.
    Some folks bitch about, and speculate about the rides – – – – and some folks DO them!
    Besides… how seriously should anyone take the insults from a couch potato, named after a metric bike???
    Probably trying to over compensate for a short coming in another area, with cc’s and cylinders.

LMFAO. Oh, and congrats on your 2nd place finish last week, in the inaugural AMR. Enjoy it now… for a while at least, cause we’re coming for you again next year! 🙂

Bodhi 008

Maybe BH will consider hopping on that slow rollin’ pig he straddles, and showing us all the errors of our ways.
    I can’t wait to be “enlightened”. lol,

51. 51 Patrick Gallo Jun 28th, 2012 at 7:51 pm

I don’t care if people pay or not to ride thousands of miles. But if awards, prizes, motorcycles, etc are promised to the winners they should exist before the competition (was the money there before the start?) and be given away. It’s the law. Everything else is a fraud, so a felony. Even worse if there is conspiracy to fabricate false pretexts to not give any promised awards. Re-fraud. Re-felony. It seems that Jim Durham has no proof that Will Barclay committed any rule violations. To pretend that Barclay has the ability to pass any polygraph test is not an argument in a court of law. Jim Durham chose this technique. He is obliged to abide by it and can’t challenge his own rules. Will Barclay is going to win, and even if Durham can’t pay, it will prevent him to do any business because any income he receives will be seized until full judgment satisfaction. He will have to every year to disclose and certify all his personal and business accounts to show if he has money to satisfy part or full payment of the judgment. And it’s where the IRS may want to see if federal and state taxes have been paid.

52. 52 Bodhi Jun 28th, 2012 at 8:47 pm

@burnout.

Charlie Sheen was famously quoted (when asked why a man of his talent, youth and stature needed to pay Call Girls for sex) he answered, “I don’t pay them for the sex…. I pay them to go home the next morning…”.

[The following is just my opinion, and from my own perspective]

Burnout, we don’t pay anyone for the “privilege” of riding … “SEVERAL 1000+ mile days”. That would be silly, because just about anyone halfway making an effort could easily do that.

I sort of view the entry fees for these sort of Challenges as a “Finders Fee”.
    The organizers afford those of us with a willingness to test themselves against like-minded individuals who similarly enjoy matching themselves in a friendly (and at times, not so friendly) competition involving motorcycles.
    Now it’s true, the system is not flawless, hell even Ashley Madison ends up with a few dogs in the mix; and so too, do the organizers have to end up throwing in a few sub-par riders (like those believing 1,000 miles on the Super Slab is a huge accomplishment) into the fray just to even out the lineup – BUT the point is, that these competitions ALSO draw the most worthy opponents, as well as those having the testicular fortitude to go for it!

Now maybe you are different than myself, and can’t swing a dead cat without hitting men who have the ability to ride 1000+ miles for DAYS on end, on both secondary (and worse) roads, and can keep the throttle twisted and stay in the saddle for the better part of 20 hrs per day (several days or weeks straight).
    I have a lot of friends who are VERY accomplished riders, however It’s clear to me that you must cast a broad net, IF you truly hope to attract the best competitors available out there.
    So, in some small way, these Challenges and Events have become an “Introduction Service” for those of us who wish to push ourselves a tad beyond the norm. At this point most know and respect each other.
    Precious few of us respect those just “gumming” about these rides.

I find that most folks who use the argument that they wouldn’t pay anyone $1,000 just to go on a long ride, wouldn’t take up the challenge even if there wasn’t an entry fee at all. Hell, most of you “Critics” wouldn’t mount up even if the organizers PAID YOU the $1,000 – and frankly, we all know it.

So, my advice to you (and you know who I’m speaking to) is to just stay up there on the porch, little dogs and continue to bark about it all. It’s much safer for you, up there anyway…

Bodhi 008

Oh, and don’t give me that BS that BH is American made.
    If it’s not got 2 lungs and isn’t puking oil – it’s metric. lol

53. 53 Jeri...no hiding here. Jun 28th, 2012 at 11:38 pm

Thank you Patrick for adding some sound legal perspective to this thread. My husband rode and finished the HHMRACE in 2010. The prize $$ was not set aside for that one either. Of course anyone that has been around awhile KNOWS who paid….IF Will really was paid. The law is the law and he should be held criminally responsible. Will the SAO consider filing criminal charges if / when Will wins the civil suit? The formal complaint that I (and a few others) filed with the SDAG was closed with the explanation that they look for a “pattern of fraud.” Then they moved their operations to AZ maybe in an attempt to avoid a repeat performance in SD thus establishing a pattern? IDK….It will all come out eventually it will be enough for me if Durham is never permitted to organize another charitable event.

54. 54 Patrick Gallo Jun 29th, 2012 at 6:32 am

Bodhi. You said

” men who have the ability to ride 1000+ miles for DAYS on end, on both secondary (and worse) roads, and can keep the throttle twisted and stay in the saddle for the better part of 20 hrs per day (several days or weeks straight).

1- It’s a race and it’s illegal on public roads.
    2- what your verbal diarrhea has to do with prizes not being given to the winners? Because you all speed (The Durhams don’t care. They even don’t care about the injured and killed) or just because the Durhams just want to keep all the money for themselves?

55. 55 fuji Jun 29th, 2012 at 7:38 am

Bodhi make sure you spend some time getting to know Fox

Thanks for opening my eyes. I now can see the event in a whole new light. It is wonderful that all of you can find ” special time ” together as a group. It must have been a burden in life not knowing that there were others out there with like minds.

I wish you well.

Mor-on this wonderful event

56. 56 Doc Jun 29th, 2012 at 11:24 am

If you won, you should get your prize, plain and simple. If you won and got shafted, maybe you should handle it like a few of us do and collect by any means necesarry. Only lawyers win in lawsuits, everyone wins in arson fires! LOL

57. 57 Ridin Fool Jun 29th, 2012 at 11:32 am

Fox & Bodhi,
    Followed you guys last week on the AMR rally and was considering riding in the HH as my first event. I have to say that watching you on the tracker was addicting! I really liked their format and the one with the most points wins. I also saw they did give a new Harley away the night you guys got your awards and trophies and they are doing a charitable dontation the end of next month. I think I’m going to have to sit this years HH out until I see if it really happens. If mm108 sues too, it looks like it could be the end and I dont have an extra 1K to loose right know!

58. 58 English People Jun 29th, 2012 at 11:41 am

WOW…I have never seen the English language butchered so much as it is on this blog. We all bitch that we don’t want to “press 1” to speak English and if you don’t speak English get the fuck out. Check your spelling people and your grammar…yikes fools!

I before E except after C

There VS They’re and Their….really????

except VS accept

your VS you’re

Do I need to continue? Holy shit this is grammar school level

59. 59 Steve Hog Radio Producer Johann Jun 29th, 2012 at 1:08 pm

To English Speaker.

This blog does not have spell checker and does not allow someone to create and then paste from another document to make sure spelling is proper before posting.

As to Hoka Hey controversey makes for great press and radio show fodder we will be talking about it again!

As for long distance races why does anyone do it? Because like anything else in life its competitive and many like to compete be it Baja or HH along with the Cannon Ball Challenge.

60. 60 TXRider Jun 29th, 2012 at 1:11 pm

I rode in HHC 2010 and for me it was a good experience overall. I did see lots of flaws with how is was run operationally and am certain that some of the “riders” who participated should have stayed home polishing their chrome in the driveway as per the norm for them. Just because you can afford one, doesn’t mean you should ride one. With regard to the rules and fairness, they should be well defined. Clearly with HHC they are not. With the amount of lead time they have each year, this should be ironed out long before an event starts. It causes exactly the kinds of issues we are seeing now and in the end only makes it harder to have these events. I was considering riding HHC again for ’12 and ’13 but after two full years of this crap and I have lost interest. Although the American Motorcycle Rally was pretty in scale this year it looks like it’ll be the ticket for next year.

Last bit of advice, after years of knowing him, I tell you guys… you need to stop teasing the Bodhi, it’ll only make him worse.

61. 61 burnout Jun 29th, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Bodhi I (even being from Alabama) understand where you are coming from and I admire the mindset. It isn’t my way of thinking but that doesn’t matter. Ride on! I am still trying to get Fredp to race cross country with me on 50cc superbikes. Hell I have more close calls riding on a daily basis than I do on long rides. peace

62. 62 Admin. Jun 29th, 2012 at 3:53 pm

To “Steve Hog Radio”. Your statement “This blog does not allow someone to create and then paste from another document to make sure spelling is proper before posting” is incorrect. As a matter of fact you can write your document in any word processor, spell check it, copy & paste it in “comments”. It will be automatically formatted to the font used in “comments”

63. 63 Fox Jun 29th, 2012 at 5:19 pm

Bodhi I enjoyed the hell out of riding with you guys in the AMR. I am so tired of defending what we do with some of these couch potatoes. It is there loss for not wanting to ride for $$$ and thats ok. My deal is I love to ride and if I can make a buck at it at the same time thats just a bonus ! I love the challenge of riding against other people who can also push themselves to the extreme. Boss the simple truth is I have ridden in two events and taken home $15k doing it. Not bad my friend. It is not a race and you do not have to ride like it is. As TXRider said overall he has had a good experience I think most that have done it will say the same thing. Is it perfect? No, but they will get it right. Ridin Fool thanks we are glad you enjoyed it and welcome you to ride with us anytime. The AMR format was very cool and we all had a blast and can’t wait to do it again. We also had a few issues but overall for the first time I think it was just awesome. Jimmy and Greg did one hell of a job and are both first class people with a great vision for the future. You never know where this new type of Motorcycle Challenge can go with the tracker. Everyone that watches seems to really enjoy ! Boss we know you will be watching because you and fuji sure as hell are not going to be riding ! Have a great weekend !

64. 64 SAL Jun 30th, 2012 at 9:01 am

Well not a surprise.

The HH is a scam and the artists are the Durham’s and EB Chester.

There were problems with the first challenge and questions about the payout then- after months WB was finally paid the prize money he deserved. Like a gentleman he paid on his verbal agreement to Frank. He also compassionaltely gave to charity. I believe his experience was so amazing that it led him to seek the top spot in the 2nd challenge. Many did not understand his drive for doing this and were worried about his safety- but WB knew with his experience, endurance and will power he could do a 2nd challange. He is amazing and has an uncanny ability to dig deep and find the place that allows him to keep going when everything else says stop.

We all know how the 2nd challange ended- those who were not riding where watching it on the tracker. WB clearly crossed the finish line before anyone else- from what I understand there is no evidence that rules where broke- he checked in at every check point and passed a polygraph test. Winner declared.

As we have all seen on many investigative news programs scam artists are sweet talkers- promise great things and run with the money they collect. Here is a classic example of a scam- and how unbelievably sad these people use the Native American platform to scam people- the Durham’s and their sweat lodges and talking to the spirits are a very poor represtentation of what the Native Americans stand for. To team up with a questionable character like EB Chester just adds fuel to this scam.

WB is an ethical, honest, genuine person. He desreves what was not given to him- especially the recognition of winning this crazy challenge that was so falsly advertised. WB rode with many amazing riders that also completed the challenge and they deserve their full winnings also. It is sad that most sat in a meeting and decided to settle for 10K each instead of fighting for what was right ( I state this to those who did not break the rules). Stand up for what is right and put this scam and it’s artists away for good!

WB great job-and to all the dearlerships that supported this challange by opening their doors and staffing the shop for service-food- etc. Thank you- you are amazing!!

65. 65 English people Jun 30th, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Don’t count on spell check to fix your grammar and spelling. It is your native language….right? Like I said this shit is grammar school level. I’m so sorry to drag this out but it is so annoying to read and take people/blow hards seriously when they can’t manage the basics.

66. 66 Bodhi Jun 30th, 2012 at 4:59 pm

@English people
    We are Bikers talking about biker stuff, here in a bikers news forum. No one here is working on their thesis.
    Maybe you should be on an English Literature forum where those posting might benefit from your wisdom or even give a shit what you think!
    If you are having trouble understanding what someone is trying to convey, well that’s one thing. Personally, I haven’t had that problem. But, If you are printing these post out just so you can put bright red grammar corrections in the columns, … well then, your “issues” are far greater then anything we simpletons can help you with. (Please note that my country ass began that sentence with the word “But” – and there’s not a damn thing you can do about it!!! lol)

People like you annoy the hell out of me!
    You prefer Form over Substance. It’s people like you that are ruining the country.
    You and people like you gave us President Obama.
    He looks cool, speaks well, and has charisma… he deserves a shot. Right? WRONG!
    Just give me a “regular guy” who has half the flash, twice the experience and none of the arrogance.

If our poor grammar is offending your delicate sensibilities, why don’t you try reading something else?
    I’d like to recommend this one: http://www.amazon.com/Etiquette-Dummies-Sue-Fox/dp/0764551701

I doubt anyone here is likely to miss your anal-retentive, condescending remarks.
    I’m sure I wouldn’t.
    In short, GET A LIFE!

67. 67 Bodhi Jul 1st, 2012 at 5:43 am

Oh yeah… I used also “then”, rather than “than”… So, sue me for 5.29 million, while I try to leave a dangling preposition for you, right here.
    Whoooops… Let me fix that.
    “…sue me for 5.29 million, while I try to leave a dangling preposition for you, right here, nerd.”

Bodhi

68. 68 AMR Jul 1st, 2012 at 7:44 am

Bodhi……. U absolootelie krak me uuuuuup!

Ride on friends,

jh

69. 69 Not Bodhi Jul 1st, 2012 at 9:03 pm

@English people. It’s vs. not VS. you Jackwagon. Not to mention all your incomplete sentences. Also, since you insist on being proper, it’s blowhard… one word.

70. 70 Boss Hawg Jul 1st, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Bodhi Halsey …Tell us you are not that over sized shortchanged overstuffed munchkin pig aren’t ya…tell us so. Put some sun block on those hams dude. Oink Oink

Mike Fox…you are one to talk…put those beaver teeth to action and go chew some logs on the farm thar boy.

You are both prime examples of Bubbas.

Boss Hawg

71. 71 Bodhi Jul 2nd, 2012 at 5:08 am

I have to admit, It’s more than just a little creepy to know another dude has been looking at photos of my legs and Fox’s mouth…
    Of course, anyone who would ride a Boss Hoss should probably be expected to hold a few latent tendencies.
    We’re all glad Boss Hoss, that you were able to get a hand free long enough to post those insightful comments.

Bodhi

72. 72 Bodhi Jul 2nd, 2012 at 5:09 am

We’re all glad Boss Hawg, that you were able to get a hand free long enough to post those insightful comments.

Bodhi

73. 73 Boss Hawg Jul 2nd, 2012 at 9:48 am

Bodhi….

Grow up…fund a mentor in life…they will guide your lost soul since your are follower.

Say what you may….But No further comments for your perverted pea brain.

Enjoy,
    Boss Hawg

74. 74 Hark Jul 2nd, 2012 at 10:47 am

I have nothing good to say about the Hoka Hey…from Day one out of Key West it was a scam. Red Cloud IE Durham or what ever he wants to call himself is a user. He is heartless.

75. 75 macawsj Jul 3rd, 2012 at 3:38 pm

James Durham grew up in Ohio in your standard white middle-class family. His only claim to the name “Red Cloud” is to insist that he was adopted in a Native-American ceremony by an aged Chief suffering from dementia. Who knows if he even knew what was going on. (I’m sure Jim knew)

Jim claimed in 2010 that he was a Navy Seal. (Stolen Valor was interested, but it’s hard to prove)

Currently Beth Durham has posted on the Hoka Hey 2012 blog that SHE is an Environmental Scientist! and Jim is a Tribal Attorney! It sure sounds like a huge pile of hooey, but how to disprove this statement is beyond my capability at this time.

I hope they are brought to justice for just being such an affront to society in general.

76. 76 Fox Jul 3rd, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Bodhi watch out I think Boss may be a little funny if you know what I mean ! Boss we don’t roll like that my friend ! You need to take the V8 somewhere else! Be careful big guy! Hark how do you know Hoka Hey is a scam? Please tell us I hear this stuff over and over but no one ever explains what they mean. Did they rip you off? Did you ride? What really happened?

77. 77 James King, 2010 HH rider #220 Jul 4th, 2012 at 11:16 am

Have any of you actually read Barclay’s lawsuit?

Before you start congratulating Will on his victory, you may want to spend 15 minutes reading his trumped-up claims. What a crock. I literally laughed out loud reading it.

Everyone knows that filing a lawsuit easy; however, actually prevailing on a claim and proving damages is something else. To make matters worse, Will has no legal way around the Release of Liability and Indemnification agreements in the contract.

“Release of Liability
    In consideration for being permitted to participate in the Event, I hereby waive, release, and forever discharge, for myself, my heirs, executors, administrators and legal representatives, any and all rights and/or claims which I have, may have, or may hereafter accrue to me against the Organizer, its officers, directors, employees, consultants, agents, … Further, I covenant not to sue the Organizer, its officers, directors, employees, consultants, agents,… This release and discharge includes, but is not limited to, claims for personal injury, death, property damage, economic loss, breach of contract, lost wages, contribution indemnity, indemnity, punitive damages, negligence, or any other legally recognizable claim arising out of my participation in the Event (including all legal costs associated with such claims). “

“Indemnification
    I hereby agree to release, defend, indemnify, and hold harmless the Organizer, its officers, directors, employees, consultants, agents, licensees, assigns from and against any and all claims, demands, damages, suits, liabilities or actions arising directly or indirectly out of my actions or otherwise from my participation in the Event whether made or claimed during or after the Event, including all associated costs and expenses and any amounts which the Organizer may pay as a settlement or compromise of any such claims or liabilities. I have read this waiver, fully understand its terms, and understand that I have given up substantial rights by signing it. I have done so freely and without inducement, coercion, or duress. I intend this waiver to be a complete and unconditional release of all liability to the greatest extent allowed by law. I agree that, if any portion of this waiver is held to be invalid, the balance of the waiver shall continue in full force and effect. “

Given the plain language contained in the agreement, and given the fact that the trial will be held in a federal courthouse in Arizona, against a Native American and other parties, in front of a jury consisting of a fair number of Native Americans, I’d say Barclay is going to be about as successful as Custer was at the Little Big Horn.

So Hoka Hey Will Barclay, it is looking like a Good Day To Die!

78. 78 Patrick Gallo Jul 4th, 2012 at 11:25 am

James King. The “Release Of Liability” contains many illegal clauses in all states, so it voids all the release. Also, you can’t prohibit anyone from suing. It’s also illegal. In addition, it seems established that Jim Durham is not an American Native. You are an idiot, reason why you are on the Red Smoke side.

79. 79 Roger Jul 4th, 2012 at 11:34 am

James King, you don’t sound very bright. If I make you sign a release saying that you will never sue me for any reason, do you think you can’t sue me if I commit a fraud or breach of contract against you? Your comment shows what everybody realized, that those believing in Hoka Hey have a very low level of education and IQ number.

80. 80 James King, 2010 HH rider #220 Jul 4th, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Patrick Gallo, are you a former rider? If you are, why not state your year and number. Are you a lawyer or judge? If you are, please state the exact “illegal clauses” in the two agreements? Maybe i missed them.

Also, where did I say I was On JD’s side? Just because I am not a Barclay fan does not mean I am on JD’s side.

I did not say Barclay should not sue, I only stated that he had a frivolous lawsuit. And i am sure he will not prevail in court, which will be shown over time.

I am entitled to my opinion as much as you and Barclay are entitled to yours. If you don’t agree, that’s fine.

When you call someone an “idiot” because they express a view contrary to yours, you make yourself look less intelligent. This is America, it’s the fourth of July, what happened to freedom of speech?

81. 81 James King, 2010 HH rider #220 Jul 4th, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Roger, no one “made” Barclay sign the HH contract. No one put a gun to his head.

If Jim and Beth actually did put a gun to Barclay’s head, and a pen in his hand, and made him sign the contract, then you have a valid point.

However that is not what happened. Barclay (like the rest of us) signed the contract on his on free will.

Therefore, he is legally bound by these two clauses in the contract. If I had to guess, JD’s attorney is very shortly going to file a Motion To Dismiss based on the terms of the contract. I am not saying I like it, but, unfortunately, that is the way contract law works.

The only way Barclay can claim fraud, is by saying he was fraudulently induced into signing the contract. Otherwise he is out of luck.

82. 82 JEFF KOHN , HH RIDER 10, 11 .12 Jul 5th, 2012 at 5:02 am

Barclay.. he just cheated better then anybody else!!! until 2011… why was his girl following him with another guy in car. Support team?or extra rider… Why was will so clean and his bike so clean cleaner then any other rider???? why did will sign in at checkpoint on different numbers his 10 rider number and his 11 rider number???? ooops forgot to tell extra rider what number we are this year?
    See you in Vegas unless your one of the weak who cant go the distance…
    watch from the sofa MOTHERF>>>ERS… post your name if your gonna post too. have a SETt! great job AMR riders BOOOOHDI FOx Curt and al the rest CW. heal fast COWBoy ED… Racing is FUN… OOOOO by the way HOKA HEY!!!!

83. 83 Mac Bolt Jul 5th, 2012 at 8:11 am

Great to hear from the guys who actually did the ride. I have a friend who has signed up for the up coming ride across the US from Las Vegas. He stated he spoke directly to many of the previous riders and that is what made his decision to take the challenge. Some of us just like to ride and if I thought I could actually do this event, I would. To the guys who have made this ride and those willing to stand up and take the challenge, my hat is off to you! Life is short—go for it
    Mac

84. 84 James King, 2010 HH rider #220 Jul 5th, 2012 at 11:27 am

To Jeff Kohn,

Did Barclay have a support team in 2011 or 2012?

He mentioned in an interview back in 2011 that his sister was giving him information about the other riders in the HH, but this is the first I have ever heard about a support team. If Barclay had them helping him (which was clearly against the rules), it would explain how he was able to keep his bike on the road during the trip from Key West to Homer with only “10 hours” (Barclay’s words) of down time.

It is stuff like this that makes me laugh at his lawsuit. Barclay claims, now that the HH has stripped him of both titles, the HH has deprived him of being a “celebrity” in the motorcycle world and, as a result, he has been deprived of the ability to earn millions. (Yeah right.)

I don’t know how that is possible since I have never talked to another HH rider, or any other Harley rider, that thinks Barclay actually won the race in 2011. Everyone I know thinks he is full of crap! Hopefully, this lawsuit is going to expose everyone and maybe the truth will finally come out. Either way, Barclay can forget about being a celebrity any time soon.

It looks like the best he can hope for now is infamy.

85. 85 G. Bell Jul 5th, 2012 at 11:34 am

So, if everybody is speeding and cheating, participants and organizer, it makes Hoka Hey the greatest scam of these last 2 years

86. 86 James King, 2010 HH rider #220 Jul 5th, 2012 at 11:34 am

To Jeff Kohn,

Did Barclay have a support team in 2011 or 2012?

(i wrote you a longer response but Cyril Huze did not post it. I guess I was not being nice enough to their boy Barclay.)

87. 87 Admin Jul 5th, 2012 at 11:36 am

All your comments are posted! Refresh your browser.

88. 88 James King, 2010 HH rider #220 Jul 5th, 2012 at 11:41 am

To Admin,

Sorry, I apologize. Thanks!

89. 89 G Jul 5th, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Will kicked butt! First one there both times, no one can dispute that.

90. 90 James King, 2010 HH rider #220 Jul 5th, 2012 at 1:22 pm

To G,

You are absolutly right!

No question about it, Will crossed the line first. Both times. No one disputes that.

Unfortunately, he got caught not playing by the rules, as defined by the contract, then failed a polygraph and as a result he was stripped of both titles.

By the way G, every HH rider kicked butt, not just Will Barclay.

91. 91 Roger Jul 5th, 2012 at 1:35 pm

James King. Will Barclay passed the polygraph test 2 times, in 2010 & 2011. If he didn’t pass them, why Jim Durham would now pretend that Will passed them because supposedly he knows a technique for not getting caught lying?

92. 92 James King, 2010 HH rider #220 Jul 5th, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Roger, you are bring up a very good point.

There are hundreds of unanswered questions and almost nothing makes any logical sense.

I never understood why the HH did not check out some of the things I told them about Barclay back in 2011. His story about his sister helping him, leaving Key West dead last (yet claiming he was always in the lead), 10 hours of down time, and running so low on gas never sounded believable. Everything he said, and everthing I witnessed just did not convence me Barclay had acutally followed the course and/or the rules.

I called Beth at the end of the 2011 HH and told her that I thought Barclay was lying. Although she listen to me, I could tell she was not interested in anything I had to say about Barclay.

So why did JD wait so long to do anything? Who knows? Why did JD give Barclay the $500,000 (not sure I believe that either, but that is what the lawsuit states)? Who knows? Has anyone seen the Defendant(s) response or counter claim(s)? That should answer some questions, but knowing how JD spins and distorts things, we may have to wait a while for our answers.

93. 93 James King, 2010 HH rider #220 Jul 6th, 2012 at 8:59 am

Question: Are there any HH Harley riders, other than Barclay (and his support team/co-rider) that actually believe Will Barclay legitimacy won the 2011 HH to Homer without either speeding, driving recklessly, having phone assistance (from his sister), using a GPS, lying during his polygraph, deviating from the route or other deceitful acts (intentional or not) ?

Answer: HELL NO!!!!!!!

94. 94 bean're Jul 7th, 2012 at 11:33 am

Only thing I would believe is that Jim Redcloud and Dave Harvey, the guy that put on the Heritage 1 million dollar biker buildoff were the same guy!

95. 95 Bodhi Jul 8th, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Here’s one for all the “critics” of those riders who took up the challenge, and dared to try…”

“It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat.”

– Theodore Roosevelt “Citizenship in a Republic,”
    Speech at the Sorbonne, Paris, April 23, 1910

96. 96 PGC9 Jul 9th, 2012 at 12:20 am

James King; The 2011 HH didn’t go to Homer?! I do think Will won in 2011 based on superior training, preparation, game plan, execution and motorcycle. Not to mention ability to function on minimal sleep. I can’t find your name on the finisher list for either year. Sour grapes?

97. 97 James King, 2010 HH rider #220 Jul 10th, 2012 at 1:31 pm

PGC9; I typed the wrong year. I meant 2010. That was the only HH I was in. I didn’t finish because I broke down several times and the last time was just outside of Arizona. I was riding a 110 Ultra Sreaming Eagle. It was a great bike, but not for the HH – too much motor.

I don’t know what training Barclay did for 2011, but I know he said he did almost nothing for the 2010 HH. As for his “ability to function on minimal sleep”, that is not believable. But don’t take my word for it, go online and read the military’s research data. According to the research (and my own experience), sleep deprivation makes you feel like you are drunk and interferes with your ability to do even the simplest task. The brain requires sleep like the body requires water. You can’t store sleep or condition your body to do what Barclay claims he did. At least, not without help.

I know it may sound like sour grapes, but that is not the case. I just don’t like what Will and the HH did to the riders during both the 2010 and 2011 HH, especially the 2010 riders.

Hopefully this will be the last year.

98. 98 PGC9 Jul 11th, 2012 at 4:37 pm

J.K., Based on your sleep theory Frank Kelly and most of the 2011 challengers must have been cheating? The HH is a great, timely event for a good cause and Will did nothing to the other riders other than finish ahead of them? Not paying out in 2011 seems the only legit gripe you could have, and that is what the lawsuit will address. I say again, sour grapes.

99. 99 J. Martinez Jul 11th, 2012 at 4:40 pm

PGC9. “The HH is a great, timely event for a good cause” Really? Which one? Jim Durham himself?

100. 100 PGC9 Jul 11th, 2012 at 10:37 pm

JM. Drinking water and sanitation on reservations is a good cause. The event was a good event. What Durham does with the money, that’s another story.

101. 101 James King, 2010 HH rider #220 Jul 12th, 2012 at 10:14 am

PGCP, Were you a rider in either HH? If you were, what is your real name and number?

If “the event was a good event” why is the number of participants dropping? And what was so “good” about it?

What is so “good” about an event that is so full of dishonesty, lies and misrepresentations?

Also, if openly criticizing liars and cheats is “sour grapes” then I definitely qualify! Maybe I should change my name to HHSG220.

102. 102 James King, 2010 HH rider #220 Jul 12th, 2012 at 10:32 am

Did anyone see the story on the Jet Blue pilot that recently said all for those crazy things to the passengers during a flight?

After he was arrested, and evaluated, the first reports stated he was ruled insane. A followup report stated he acted insane because was suffering from sleep deprivation at the time of the incident.

You can find the articles on CNN.com.

Obviously, the effects of sleep deprivation are not a theory. There are numerous studies that document the effects of depriving the brain of sleep. Not theories, just facts.

Who knows, maybe this explains all of the insanity linked to the Hoka Hey.

103. 103 PGC9 Jul 12th, 2012 at 4:49 pm

j.k. The effects of sleep deprivation are well know and researched and what Will and the eleven 2011 finishers did is well within known parameters. Not easy to do, but that’s why the HH was a challenge. Judging by your strong disdain for the event you seem to still be suffering from a common side effect of sleep deprivation. That is inappropriate emotional response? Most likely you are just trying to feel better about your lack of preparation, weakness and inabilities by accusing those who rode you off there wheels of cheating and being part of some grand conspiracy?

Here is a new one for you…..Will Barclay is really a reptilian! He is feed off the heat of the engine. That’s why he needs no sleep and only rides air cooled bikes! I’ve attached a link to a forum so you can tell all your like minded friends about the lizard man who wins bike rallies because he needs money for his campaign to subjugate mankind. Enjoy!

104. 104 James King, 2010 HH rider #220 Jul 13th, 2012 at 6:29 am

Yeah, you got that right – Will Barclay is a reptilian alright – he’s a snake!

By the way, you forgot to answer my first two questions?

Were you a rider in either HH? If you were, what is your real name and number? Are you afraid to let everyone know who you are? Hiding something? Are you Will’s co-rider?

105. 105 Wills co-rider Jul 13th, 2012 at 12:21 pm

If anyone thinks that Will rode this alone without the help of a “co-rider” and a nice comfy 45 foot long self contained, air conditioned, satelite equipped, wet bar, shower (with 100 gallon pressure tank and heater), queen sized bed (X2 posturepedic), surround sound for movies, state of the art kitchen, side by side fridge, and a fully equipped cockpit with GPS and two way communications between rider and driver (ie occupants of the $275,000 motor home)……well…….If you believe he did this alone…..all I can say is…….HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! SUCKERS!!!!! SEE YA (WELL…MAYBE NOT ME) AT HOAXIS POKAS 2012!!!

106. 106 G Jul 13th, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Motor home, extra rider or queen size bed it doesn’t matter because he didn’t get caught doing that so good for him if he pulled that off. Every one knows rules are broken in every day life. Will showed up first and for that he should get paid, the real problem is that there wasn’t enough riders last year to cover the prize pay out.

107. 107 PGC9 Jul 15th, 2012 at 11:54 pm

J.King, Rider #? Are you nuts, I’ve never even ridden a motorcycle! Besides, sleep deprivation is very bad for you. Did you hear about the Jet Blue pilot who rode the HH then went insane!
    Also, what are you hiding? The was no James King ever entered or number 220 issued in 2010. You are a liar and a cheat! But I’m onto you and know you are the 15 year old girl who writes the motorcycle blog out of Halifax. I have my sources and will expose you for what you are!

108. 108 James King, 2010 HH rider #220 Jul 16th, 2012 at 8:55 am

To PGC9 (aka,WB),

I knew if I could get you to keep responding you would eventually trip up.

You’re WILL BARCLAY!!!

I see you haven’t changed much since 2010 (including your grammar and writing style). I should have known. Only a coward, cheat, and liar would hide behind that fake PGC9 name, especially when I called you out in front of all the readers. But i guess I can’t blame you. If I had done some of the things you and the Hoka Hey Race Organizers have done, I would change my name too.

Maybe you should have your lawyer work on a real name change rather than waste time trying to sue for something you’re NEVER going to get.

109. 109 PGC9 Jul 17th, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Well,well, well fine work Sherlock you are one cleaver little monkey. Now that you know my identity I should inform you you have taken the bait and will be my next slander suit participant. All you have posted on this site will be used to sue you, your family your families family, neighbors and your dog. I hope you transmission work was done by a reputable shop as I’m looking forward to riding that hog. Maybe will even use it in HH 2013? Clearly you have never dealt with a Reptilian of superior intelligence?
    You have failed to realize that I’m really Jim Redcloud Durham, and only shape-shift into Will Barclay to ride the motorcycle and collect oversize checks!

With Loving kind regards,

Will Redcloud

P.S. Don’t think my high price NYC attorney will go easy on you just because you are a 15 year old girl!

110. 110 James King, 2010 HH rider #220 Jul 17th, 2012 at 6:29 pm

It sounds like you have a great case, Willie… I think you should go ahead and sue me. You should add “bullying” to the claim.

There are just two problems: (1) You don’t have the brains, balls or money to sue anyone. (2) You don’t have a high priced NYC attorney. Remember?? – your attorney is your friend Jeff from Woodstock, NY and he is working for free.

Willie, I gotta confess, I am really enjoying this, finally, it must be so embarrassing to have your ass kicked by a 15 year old girl. And this is just the beginning. Next time I see you, I think I’ll take your lunch money!

Until then, why don’t you try and grow a pair!

111. 111 James King, 2010 HH Rider# 22O Jul 20th, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Hello all,

My Dr. has readjusted my medications and I’m no longer feeling so irrational and agitated. My therapist thought it would be best if I came online and apologized for all my angry, made up accusations. So I offer this sincere apology to Will Barclay, The Durhams, HH event and participants, PGC9, the Lakota Nation, Frank Kelly, Carla Debois, All North American Native Americans, Bodhi, Brent Witters and Mike Fox.

You see, after my failure in the 2010 HH I went into a depression unknown to my soul prior. The only way out was to realize my lifelong ambition of sexual reassignment surgery. All the hormone treatments have left me a bit unstable at times. I now have a new lease on life and have moved to Halifax to write a motorcycle blog and give a voice to the 15 year old girl that has been trapped inside me all these years.

Hugs and kisses to all (especially Willie that handsome devil)

Hoka Gay,

Jamesalisa Queen

P.S. This is my final post on this site. If I do post again it is because I have quit taking my psych meds and I’m not well. Please do not reply to my post as it will only encourage my imbecilic behavior.

112. 112 James King, 2010 HH rider #220 Jul 22nd, 2012 at 9:08 am

Really Will?

Is this the best you can do? First you lied and cheated in the HH Race and now you impersonate me??

What a laugh!! Remember Willie, people aren’t as dumb as you and the HH guys. You’re so stupid you didn’t even forge my name correctly, it’s “rider #220”, not “Rider# 220”).

Come on Willie, you’re better than this. Stop embarrassing yourself!!! Haven’t JD and the HH Race done enough of that for you?

Asking people not to respond isn’t going to get you and the HH Race guys off the hot seat. Check the HH website, they have less than fifty racers this year.

But thanks for posting the last rant anyway. Now everyone can see for themselves just how pathetic you and the HH really are. It just shows I was right all along…You’re a bigger loser than I thought!

113. 113 James King, 2010 HH rider #220 Jul 23rd, 2012 at 6:05 am

Hey Willie,

Before you post another comment using my name, ask your high priced attorney to brief you on the “Identity Theft Protection Act” and Florida statute §817.568.

And while he’s at it, have him explain what a felony is.

Then, show all of us just how bad you really are and post a comment using my name again. I say you’re a coward and won’t do it.

So go ahead, go for it, I dare you.

114. 114 Hark Jul 24th, 2012 at 11:22 am

Cyril…After reading the PDF I can see why Red Cloud AKA whatever Jim Durham did not pay anyone…with only 167 riders there could have not been $250,000.00 to pay out to anyone…the ride is a thousand a person. The story seems to never end with Durham…what will his next scam be…maybe another White Buffalo Caper?

115. 115 James King, 2010 HH rider #220 Jul 24th, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Durham should rename the Hoka Hey and call it the “Robbing from Peter to pay Paul Challenge 2013” or better yet, the “Who Can Out Cheat Willie Race 2013”.

116. 116 Jeri Aug 5th, 2012 at 4:53 pm

This comment was taken off a private HH page. It is in reference to a 2010 and 2011 rider. So the list of riders on the HHMC “official” page is an official LIE!! Is anyone surprised?

“His name is on the list but he will not be there. His application fee and severals others were waved because of their standing last year.”

OK……….how many of the riders on the OFFICIAL HHMC 2013 riders list were waived? There’s barely 100 participating. Oh Lord….not looking good for Big Jim and Beth!

117. 117 Jeri Aug 7th, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Is anyone tracking the 2013 HHMRACE?

118. 118 Jeri Aug 7th, 2012 at 7:18 pm

LOL….DIDN’T THINK SO…… DONE! LOL

119. 119 Hal Faher Aug 13th, 2012 at 8:19 am

No, just the 2012HH.

120. 120 Jeri Aug 13th, 2012 at 10:27 am

lol….guess I got ahead of myself….2013….lmbo…oh my! SO….ARE THEY DONE YET?

121. 121 Robert Peterson H.H.no.244 Nov 17th, 2012 at 11:37 am

I have been to the finish line just to see who arrived first..in 2011–2012..as for the 2010, I road 20hrs/day for 12 days…Of course they are riders better than others…but to arrive 4 days ahead of the rest..to Me its to much…Barclay arrives on the Monday…98% of the time we where riding in the mtns..come on..impossible to arrive that much in front…but happy for Him to win…lol

122. 122 Roger Buis / Not (Roger) Nov 17th, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Lets Ride guys, I have competed in all three Hoka Hey Challenges and haave loved each of them. I ran into some mechanical problems with a crash this year but nothing that a new motor cycle didnt fix. LOL Lucky no broken bones, my son and I got to ride together and we both finished and had a great time. I really want to write an artical about the experince (time need to do that) I seem to be on the go all the time and it cost me a lot more than just the entry fee to be part of this event. Lost work fuel, mantenance, cost of a new bike just to name a few things. I live for this once a year to just get away from all the other things that keeps me busy and forget about everything except being on the open road with a bunch of like mined souls. again LETS RIDE!!!!!!!!!

Roger Buis