Fast Motorcycle Industry News

The End Of saxon Motorcycles? Mark Borodkin CEO Of Saxon Motorcycles is looking for a new job and posted his resume online on different employment websites. A few months ago Mark advised me that he was looking for a buyer of his company Saxon Motorcycles that he bought in September 2008 when our economic recession reached its climax. At this date, nobody has shown interest, probably sealing the definitive closing of one of the very few remaining custom motorcycle manufacturers. Before acquiring Saxon Motorcycles, Mark Borodkin was in the real estate business at Borodkin Construction LLC.

Tax Credit For Motorcycles And electric Bicycles. Buyers of on-road electric motorcycles would continue to be eligible for up to a $2,500 tax credit under a bill approved by the U.S. Senate Finance Committee, the American Motorcyclist Association reports. Eco-minded aficionados of two-wheel transportation will also get a tax credit which amounts to 10 percent of the vehicle’s purchase price, maxing out at $2,500. The tax credit was introduced in 2009 and expired beginning of 2012. The legislation ends the tax credit for golf carts.

Polaris Invests $13 Million in Electric-Motorcycle Startup Brammo. After the completion of its 100-plus-mph, 100-mile-range Empulse (production date not announced), Oregon-based electric-motorcycle maker Brammo was looking for new funding to accelerate its development. Polaris, maker of ATVs, snowmobiles, motorcycles and low-emission vehicles has agreed to invest $13 million out of the $45 million of funding Brammo is looking for.

Motorcycle Magazine Awards Motus MST-R “Motorcycle of the Year-Best Dreambike.” Lee Conn and Brian Case, the 2 men who have created Motus are excited that their American made sport bike got such an honor at the right time, when they are actively marketing to dealers and bikers their first manufactured bikes. Available this fall for $36,975, the Motus MST-R sport-tourer is built with all-American DNA, including a pushrod-equipped KMV4 engine that looks and sounds exactly like a miniature version of the iconic Chevy V8. This hot-rod inspired, 165-horsepower “baby-block” engine is mounted in a steel-trellis frame outfitted with the best running gear Öhlins, Brembo and O.Z. have to offer, helping the Motus accelerate, turn and stop like a much smaller machine.

ZERO Motorcycles Announces New CEO. Richard Walker is the newly appointed CEO of ZERO Motorcycles which specializes in electric bikes. He is a former executive at Hewlett Packard and at Zero his job will be to optimize operations and to align resources to accelerate growth. This is a tremendous opportunity to join a dynamic team and help lead a new and innovative company to higher levels of performance and success,” Walker said in a statement.

8 Responses to “Fast Motorcycle Industry News”

1. 1 Brescia Aug 14th, 2012 at 6:44 pm

Saxon? Kaput!

2. 2 Woody Aug 14th, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Sigh, the National Debt is about to hit $16 Trillon, about $58.8 K per citizen, and some folks think we can piss away some of it on “incentives” to buy electric toys.

3. 3 Eric Maurer Aug 14th, 2012 at 11:05 pm

was Saxon ever really in business? I think I have built more bikes in my garage 🙂
    In all fairness, Saxon tried to do it right with a design that smoked American Ironhorse, Big Dog and others…. the only one who had it righter 🙂 than Saxon was Ultra in the early days, with the Ground Pounder. Damn, I used to drool over owning a Ultra Ground Pounder.
    But sadly, Saxson came in too late into the game. The end was already in the early stages when Mark bought Saxon.

RIP Saxon, the Black Crown was cool, but too little, too late, and too few.

4. 4 Black Cloud Aug 15th, 2012 at 6:59 am

@woody, Getting urban commuters to use electric vehicles is a good thing. Here in NYC electric bikes are gaining popularity and are reducing congestion, pollution and parking problems. All worthy causes and not “toys” IMO. Outside of urban areas though I don’t see Electrics being all that viable till the battery capacity issue is solved. All that being said people need to stop boiling very complex issues down to over simplified explanations they can knee jerk too. I for one am far more pissed that there WAS a tax exemption for golf carts! Who do you think that benefited?

5. 5 Matt Aug 15th, 2012 at 8:43 am

Black Cloud hit it on the head. There is an emerging market for both electric cars and motorcycles and when the technology becomes cost efficient enough you will see more manufactures following Polaris’s lead.

6. 6 Bill Kniegge Aug 15th, 2012 at 10:24 am

Huge kudos to the boys at Motus for their “Dream Bike” of the year award …. having looked at one of these bikes up close and personal… I can see why they got it… and why they deserved it! It’s a bit out of my price range… but for those that can afford it… it will be appreciated.
    BlueStrada

7. 7 Woody Aug 15th, 2012 at 12:37 pm

What ever happened to investing one’s own money on developing things that are “needed” so badly. I’ve got nothing against electric bikes, nor do I have any interest in owning one. Problem is my wallet keeps getting tapped to buy them anyway. I keep hearing politicians talking about needing to subsidize wind turbines until the costs come down. The fastest way to make the cost of anything go down is to pull it’s subsidies. It’s also the fastest way to get projects that will never make economic sense die a natural death since they can’t sustain themselves. How much is the gummint rebate on an iPhone or pair of Nikes?

8. 8 McSkooter Aug 25th, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Well Mr. Borodkin, you have experienced reaping what you sow! It is just a shame that Mr. Petty isn’t there with you to take the last breath with you! Whoever said that SAXON built a quality piece should seek some professional help! Give me a break! These contraptions were no where near Big Dog or American Ironhorse. I’ve ridden them all and I’d still be riding an AIH but I had to give up my riding time to wrench on every Saxon we sold . Many even came without a proper way to drain the oil tank! I’d sooner ride a electric Honda Furby! At least I’d be paid for the endless hours of warranty work.
    Bye Bye SAXON!