2012 Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge.

Because you flooded me again with emails requesting an update about the 2012 Hoka Hey, below is what I know.

The run started from Las Vegas, Nevada on August 5th for a 6000 miles ride to Gowanda, New-York with finish line at a truck stop! (Corporate Harley withdrew its sponsorship) The event was quite different from those of 2010 and 2011. Less participants (I was unable to verify the true numbers), a much shorter distance to ride, no visit to a foreign country, no announced charity fund raising, no big purse announced for the winner(s) (amount of purse unknown to riders!), no polygraph tests.

To try to avoid a new controversy about the event being accused of inciting riders to illegally race on public roads, organizer Jim Red Cloud” Durham warned participants that they would be disqualified if they crossed the finish line before the minimum calculated time to do the run without speeding. The finish line was opened to riders on August 12 at 6:30 pm and remained open for 14 hours.

So, guess what happened? Many riders had arrived 48 hours in advance on Friday August 10 and were patiently hanging out 10 miles away from the finish line at Godawa Harley-Davidson. It would mean that if not speeding, they spent about 20 hours per day in the saddle (excluding time to refuel, eat and sleep) riding a minimum of 1300 miles a day. A first group of 11 riders crossed together the finish line at 6:31 pm Sunday August 12th. A total of 31 riders arrived in the 14-hour time window and will split an equal amount of the purse. At the date of publishing, amount of the purse is still unknown…

21 Responses to “2012 Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge.”

1. 1 Gary Aug 15th, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Hoka hey is dying, slowly, but dying. Any update on the lawsuit of 2010-2011 winner Will Barclay against organizer Jim durham?

2. 2 Scootertrash Aug 15th, 2012 at 10:33 pm

I think that Jim “Darkcloud” Durham is getting very rich off of this Hoka Hey…. Didn’t even pay the winner last year.

3. 3 Canajun Aug 16th, 2012 at 6:04 am

I have heard nothing but negatives about this event, so why do riders continue to participate?

4. 4 Bryan Aug 16th, 2012 at 6:10 am

Canajun. Because some bikers love to hear Jim Dark Cloud tell them that they are exceptional human beings above all the others if they ride 24 hours a day without sleeping. All losers.. Jim fill up his pockets with their money…

5. 5 Riderz Aug 16th, 2012 at 6:14 am

J. Durham sells them the “spiritual” experience of riding the Hoka Hey. Dumb riders pay $1000 each to try it. J. Durham is laughing to the bank.

6. 6 Robert Peterson Aug 16th, 2012 at 7:06 am

I was there Monday. in Gowanda ny..88 bikers was on the start…About 10 drivers where around but all going back home..I did the 2010 Hoka Hey..out of 1000 bikers to leave that morning the experience was Great..I did finish with 20 hrs/day 12 days..9000.miles +..& arrive 37 spot…

7. 7 burnout Aug 16th, 2012 at 10:34 am

‘Many riders had arrived 48 hours in advance’ ? RIDICULOUS!!!!!! peace

8. 8 E-Z Rider Aug 17th, 2012 at 2:58 pm

None of you know what the hell you are talking about! This event is not a sham or some way for Jim to rake in money. There are a lot of costs that people don’t think about with putting on an event such as this. Don’t believe it then try to do it your self. And there is a charity that is tied to this event in which if nobody wins then the purse goes to that charity. Maybe your questions should be directed towards the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation Chamber of Commerce about what they were given.
    Will Barclay broke the rules and he knows it, just because he can pass an inadmisable polygraph doesn’t prove that he did not speed. The GPS data shows it. The 10 other riders have all admitted what they did, why is Will not admitting to it? Cause he has no honor. How could Will beat all ten of these speeders if he didn’t speed himself?
    I rode in this year’s event and I truely believe the first eleven that finished this year where all speeding 20+ miles over the speed limit just like last year, but as this year’s rules have changed there is nothing that can be done by the organizers to prevent that from happening.
    If you couch potatos would really like to experience something then you should try the Hoka Hey challenge, otherwise you have no room to talk about any of this because you just don’t know what your talking about.

Rider #749

9. 9 Steve The Producer Johann Aug 17th, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Good grief Charlie Brown, here we go again!

10. 10 Jeff Aug 18th, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Hoka Hey Challenge? What is the actual challenge? Is it a race? I’m assuming it IS a race if there is to be a purse awarded to whomever crosses the finish line first. But there are rules such as NO speeding? No shortcuts? No endurance enhancing methamphetamine pit-stops? Polygraph testing? GPS data? So, what is the challenge here? And why the hell would anyone pay a grand to do such?

As for the “charity” receiving funds “only if nobody wins”….. How can nobody win? I guess if each rider finishing is found to be guilty of one or more infractions of Mr. Durham’s ever-changing rules and regulations, then everyone would be disqualified. I see, the “official charity” then receives the cash.

You say “if you couch potatoes would really like to experience something then try the Hoka Hey Challenge.” Hell, I can ride 20 hours a day with the Outlaws, have a hell of a better time, and not have to fork out a grand to do so……no thanks.

11. 11 Keith Brinton Aug 18th, 2012 at 5:31 pm

who actually gets the money? didnt this thing end last year with durham keeping the bulk of the money and the year before? if this is all for charity then who is that charity and how much did they really get? If there was one thousand riders and durham paid the top ten 10,000 each ‘” like he did last year” out of the 500,000 that was for the winner. that left 400,000 out of the purse alone where did it go? Well i am not the smartest guy in the world but 500,000 came right off the top if there was a thousand riders at 1000 each and then he only paid another 100,000 out of the remaining 500,000 lookes to me like he made a cool 900,000 minus expenses. I dont beleive he spent 900,000 putting on this race/non race charity or non charity event. He must think people are stupid enough to go along with his deal or he would not be doing it. I would bet he does it again and I bet that there will be some that fall for this scam next year. I think it was PT Barnum that said. “There is one born every minute”

12. 12 Rick Aug 18th, 2012 at 5:39 pm

The number of participants went down to less than 80 riders x $1000 = $80,000. Expenses? I would say about $5000. Then organizer takes his cut, as much as he wants because in 2012 no prize money was announced at the start or at arrival. How much he is going to give away? Nobody knows. Be ready for another surprise. All winners eleminared?

13. 13 R.U. KIDDING Aug 19th, 2012 at 10:35 pm

E-Z Rider………are you kidding me????? The Pine Ridge Chamber of Commerce AND the Tribal Council have both been asked!!!! They dont know anything about it and have NEVER received any funds from any of the parties! YOU NEED TO ASK THEM……Don’t know who you are, but JD usually throws something in here for people to read!!! He is NOT Lakota, He was NOT a seal, He did NOT have a vision for the Sacred Buffalo, He does NOT want anyone to recieve any monies but himself. He is just a scamming white boy from Ohio. Once a scam artist ALWAYS a scam artist!!! YOU need to get YOUR facts straight!!

14. 14 Jeri Aug 20th, 2012 at 6:47 am

$1,400 each….that is the word I’m getting. Guess that paid for their gas! lol

15. 15 Bruce Aug 20th, 2012 at 7:44 am

Participant pays $1000 to register. If he wins he receives $1400. We are very far from the 1/2 million and $1 million prize promised 3 & 2 years ago! How much money Jim Durham has made in 3 years? He doesn’t have Indian ancerstors vision, just dollars in his eyes.

16. 16 reyn mansson Aug 20th, 2012 at 9:42 am

As I understand it those dealers that were stops paid sponsorship fees to Hoka Hey. I know when Beth came by New Orleans Harley in 2011 they were looking for big bucks to the “privilege” of staying open all night for two days to be a stop. Shortly after I asked some hard questions and mentioned I followed the news about the event on Cyril Huze blog, they pulled NOLA from the stops and went up to Alexandria.

I am still amazed that after Harley pulled their backing that so many dealers stuck with this. Frankly why would anyone sponsor an event that gets no media coverage and mostly generates negative reactions.

You want to test your long distance skills? Then go play with the REAL long distance riders at an Iron Butt event. Oh yeah, you wouldn’t want to do that because BMW and Honda and Kawasaki and Yamaha rule that event. In 2011 two Harleys entered. Neither finished.

17. 17 Blackmax Aug 20th, 2012 at 5:43 pm

” Once Fooled, Shame on You….
    Twice Fooled, Shame on Me” …….

18. 18 KC Cheef Aug 20th, 2012 at 10:04 pm

Rumor now is next year will be the last Hoka Hey.
    Magical-Mystical Indian number is 4 soooo!
    Hokey Pokey looks like it ran it’s course.
    Adios Big Jim–you fakey Injun dude.
    Back to O hio.

19. 19 KC Cheef Aug 20th, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Hey RU Kidding.
    Just another little thing to add to your list.
    Jim Redcloud and his Navy Seal Bullshit?
    Yepp not a Navy Seal.
    And the bullshit story he fed me about praying nightly to the spirits of the dead he’d cut ears off of in Viet Nam and keeps in a special bag on a prayer staff was a big old bunch of Big Jim Bullshit too.
    Only excuse I could think of for Big Jim would be he is SOOOO f’d up he just might kind of believe his own bullshit stories.
    He does have a pretty good Movie Indian from the 50s accent though.
    Ugh!!

20. 20 rider 752 Aug 22nd, 2012 at 10:19 am

i just wanted to say what a great time i had riding in the Hoka hey this year.
    i learned about the ride in an article in H.O.G. the end of july last year.to late to enter but i was able to watch the riders on the
    tracking website and actually ride with a couple of them as they passed through my state. both of
    them did it again this year so it cant all bad, right? one of them was the second rider to reach nova scotia
    i was concerned about signing up and paying $1000 after reading all the negative press they have received over the last two rides. however this is what i came up with after doing it.
    what a great riding experience. like a rolling rally. there was only 107 bikes but it was awesome that all of us were riding the same roads.
    i spent more in las vegas than the entry fee! i spent more in a weekend than the entry fee! my point is the
    money i spent gave me more of a return ie; awesome memories, than the week in vegas.
    i paid $1000.00 dollars for: a GPS unit that is still on my bike and is mine. if i want to keep it active i just have to pay fleet tracking a monthly fee. there was a riders meet and greet at sams town casino with finger food and cash bar for all riders and family. there was a riders meeting at mgm grand that had a buffet style dinner . two dealer check points that provided free food and refreshments and a really great
    party at wolfs run in gowanda . free food , fireworks , BEER , live bands at the end of the ride.
    as far as the ride itself it was just more than i thought possible. towards the end of the ride i wanted a straight piece of asphalt but i rode on some of the best roads in the country, really awesome roads
    AND i made it within the the window and got a check for 1400.00 dollars

so please mr cyril huze talk to the people who have done it before you post negative articles. it is not
    such a bad thing they are doing . just like any new business there is a learning curve and i feel that the hoka hey is a good thing and so do a lot of other people .i met some that have done all three rides and are already signing up for next year
    if you want to talk to me send and e-mail and i’ll give you my phone number matt

ps i’m doing it next year

21. 21 Rider 738 Feb 6th, 2013 at 4:01 pm

I would like to voice an opinion also: I just came across this post Mr. Cyril Huze…Do you Ride a motorcycle? I mean RIDE…like we, long distance riders do?
    I am in total agreement with Rider 752, I have monitored all Hoka Hey Challenges, talked to participants and became one this year…I had the ride of a lifetime, experiences I would not change for any reason.
    The other riders I met, like I, knew what we were doing, getting into and most did, in fact agree, “It’s about the ride” not the money…The organizing for 2012 was outstanding and first class. The accomodations, parties, dinners and meet & greets were super. It takes alot of time, money, planning, travel, etc; to put together a ride of this magnatude…and yes a “RIDE” is what it amounts to…No one was ever very far from another rider following the same specified route. (a decent safety factor) No one ever had to ride like a maniac to make it.(another safety factor) As a matter of fact, I saw all the scenery I wanted, and then some…got enough rest to ride safely, (a riders discretion) and actually rode with others that I have yet to meet almost daily…The fee to participate is nothing compared to the rewards, pleasure and friendships, derived from the ride…The Hoka Hey has had much negagtivity, and endured many growing pains in the last three years…I would like to see it continue and will be participant until it or I cease. I would suggest give it a try, if in fact you ride at all…

Crusher