Running The Numbers On Helmets Sales

An ADP Lightspeed study of 219 V-Twin dealers from Jan.-Sept. 2012 shows that helmets represent 3 to 9% of total parts & accessories sales. The 219 V-twin dealerships polled sold $3.1 million in helmets during the first nine months of 2012, part of $60 million in total P&A sales. The state of Indiana ranks number 1 with helmets comprising 9.1% of P&A sales, the state of West Virginia ranking last with only 2.9% of P&A sales.

But how different state laws affect the sales of helmets?  ADP Lightspeed data shows that states without a helmet law make up 7 of the top 10 states when considering helmet sales as a percentage of total P&A sales. Indiana, Hawaii, Idaho, Nevada, Alaska, North Dakota and Puerto Rico are all states without helmet laws, and they ranked among the top 10 for helmets sales as a percentage of total P&A sales.

Among V-Twin dealers, Harley-Davidson, Tucker Rocky and Parts Unlimited are the source of 87 percent of helmet sales. In fact, nearly 2 out of 3 helmets (64 percent) sold by ADP Lightspeed V-twin dealerships is a Harley lid. Dealers who use ADP Lightspeed sold $2.07 million in Harley-Davidson helmets and helmet accessories over the January to September period. Tucker Rocky (12 percent) and Parts Unlimited (11 percent) follow, ahead of Western Power Sports (6 percent) and Fox Racing (3 percent).

Metric dealers who use ADP Lightspeed, meanwhile, generated $21.4 million in helmet sales from January to September, part of $287.3 million in total P&A sales. Helmets and helmet accessories by metric dealers run from 3 to 13%  of total P&A sales. Delaware checks in highest, with helmet sales making up 13.3 percent of total P&A sales. Wyoming is lowest at 3.3 percent. Seven of the top 10 states in the study are states that require riders to wear helmets.

Among Metric Dealers, Helmet sales from Tucker Rocky lead the way at metric dealerships, with 36 percent of all helmet sales coming from the Texas-based distributor. Parts Unlimited follows with 22 percent, with Western Power Sports at 18 percent. Fox Racing claims 8 percent of the metric helmet sales market by ADP Lightspeed dealers, with Sullivans (5 percent) and Helmet House (3 percent) also eclipsing the $600,000 in sales mark from January to September.

ADP Lightspeed works closely with dealers to create high performance Powersports dealer management solutions that help increase profitability, improve customer retention and speed efficiency.

10 Responses to “Running The Numbers On Helmets Sales”

1. 1 Tobby Nov 8th, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Puerto Rico is not a state (yet), and they do indeed have a mandatory helmet law, not to mention other requirements like gloves, ankle high boots, and long pants. Anyone who has ridden in PR knows that bikes are like pinballs there.

2. 2 Big Mike Nov 8th, 2012 at 4:22 pm

I was just down in Reno for Street Vibes in September. Nevada does indeed have a helmet law.

3. 3 tim Nov 9th, 2012 at 9:33 am

First of all let me say I an NOT in favor of a helmet law. I have very anti-helmet most my life. Then I seen a Arai videos where a close course rider high sided his bike at over 180 mph, they estimate he hit at 200 plus the first time. his head hit the track a total of 9 times, He was conscious the whole time,as they loaded him in the stretcher he had his thumb up for the crowd to let them know he was ok. That videos made me think, Then a few years ago a friend of mine slipped and hit his head on a golf cart, Today this friend is still a little off, has trouble with short term memory, working with numbers, etc. I thought how can I continue to support my family if that happened to me. I Ride a HD, often slightly over posted limit, my bike is not stranger to triple digits. i Am not afraid to experience life, I do however wear that Arai (openface SZ Ram). To me it is cheap insurance, as the riders get older (and move up in earning) I see more w/helmets. I personally believe this is the way most things should go. People chose to make better decisions in life, not are mandated by gov’t

4. 4 ROGUE Nov 9th, 2012 at 10:24 am

I agree with the statement that helmet use should Not Be Mandatory.
    Back in the 70s when Mandatory Helmet Laws came into being they were fought vigorously and over the years this has slowed down.
    One of the reasons is after the Federal Blackmail Threat of withholding Highway Funds to states was beat with HB-3869 on July 21-1975 the government took a different approach and made Helmets Mandatory for Children and threatened to file Child Abuse Charges Against Parents whose children were caught riding without helmets.
    The children were taught in school about bicycle safety and grew up wearing helmets, they became conditioned to do this much like we have with things like putting clothes on. Okay have some fun with that But you should get the idea.
    The kids were taught what the government wanted them to learn and the parents went along with it. Yes we all want our children to be safe But we still want them to make decisions for themselves as they grow older and these decisions should be made with pros and cons and Not just what the government says or wants.
    One of the reasons the government is still fighting Freedom of Choice is that they got their ass kicked by the Bikers that fought against Mandatory Helmet Laws and did not like it. The Bikers rebelled and if allowed to get away with it the government will lose control over this segment of society.
    Look at how many other bills have passed since then like the roadside stops and Mandatory Rider Education Laws.
    The government is keeping the motorcyclist tied up talking about how to do this and that and continues to get away with violating rights.
    When the people that follow how government deals with motorcycle issues and check statements and studies from the government they find many discrepancies.
    Some gains are made But the fact still remains that Rights Are Violated Every Day.
    No one is saying you should not wear a helmet But Do Not Condone Forcing Others To Do So.
    Share information and opinions But Demand Freedom Of Choice.

5. 5 BobbyMac Nov 9th, 2012 at 10:25 am

I agree with Tim completely. It’s your head….do what you want with it.

6. 6 Mike Greenwald Nov 9th, 2012 at 10:55 am

Whether or not you wear a helmet is of no value to anybody but yourself on the street. Choosing to wear a helmet because of the marketing, advertising and suggested retail price is questionable.

Don’t utter the safety argument unless you drive your car/pickup truck/SUV/minivan without wearing a helmet. Do not make the safety argument if you do not shower while wearing a helmet.

Did you wear a helmet to vote? The public burden argument may be applicable to your choice.

Quit supporting a government and any charities or insurance companies that insist on being in your business.

7. 7 Blackmax Nov 10th, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Ditto …..
    I HATE wearing one …..
    But if I have to travel thru a state that manditory
    I have a Bell 1/2 helmet that I brought this year
    Excellent product!
    Let those who ride, decide !!!!!

8. 8 ROGUE Nov 10th, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Wouldn’t it be Great if you could ride anywhere and be able to wear what you wanted or not?
    This is just one of the choices that have been taken away from you just because you ride a motrorcycle.

9. 9 Mike Greenwald Nov 11th, 2012 at 8:45 am

Once, you understand what a helmet can accomplish and cannot accomplish, it appears that many laws and regulations applied to motorcycling are foolish, shortsighted and downright dangerously lethal. Enforcement/compliance enactment is for revenue and social manipulation.

10. 10 Defendant From Hell Nov 14th, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Until the IIHS and NHTSA start using a ratio of deaths per accident to show the effectiveness of the helmet as a safety device, the other statstics just seem to be massaged numbers; smoke and mirrors used for attitude adjustment.

Riders are being hit from multiple angles in an effort to get them to agree to wear helmets, be happy about it, and quit discussing the ineffectiveness of the device.

LEOs and safety nannies tell you, “It’s the law,” as if they are enforcing it properly. Laughable.

Other riders who have been trained from elementary school age grow up to ridicule those who don’t see the sense in wearing ATGATT. This phenomena almost feels like we riders have been infiltrated by the safety nanny lobby.

I began seeing the pro-helmet lobby as suspect when the government “safety study” over 20 years ago decided wearing helmets don’t adversely affect your peripheral vision. Then I put on a helmet and could see “helmet” in my peripheral vision. I had to decide who to believe; the government/lobby produced study, or my eyes.

If the government wasn’t being used (and my tax money too) to convince me to violate my conscience, I would have more tolerance for pro-helmet advertising and ATGATT propaganda.

Crusher