Vance & Hines Fined $500,000 By California Air Resources Board. Who’s Next?

Vance-&-HinesOn January 31, 2013 Performance exhausts manufacturer Vance & Hines signed a settlement with the California Air Resources Board (CARB), agreeing to pay a fine of $500,000 for selling in the State of California emission related parts & accessories not pre-approved by the Board.

The settlement agreement is regarding about 2000 units at an average price of $250 sold in violation of the rules of the California Resource Board.

In California, since 2009, manufacturers of replacement emission-related aftermarket parts & accessories must apply with CARB for an exemption (or executive order) to be able to sell these parts for use on street motorcycles. The government agency also deems some products “replacement parts” that don’t require an Executive Order because they don’t affect emissions. Many Vance & Hines products fit in this category and can be sold without CARB pre-approval.

Vance & Hines said the settlement protects its distributors, dealers and customers from further claims or liability with respect to covered part sales occurring prior to Jan. 1, 2013.

vancenhines1Its President Paul Langley released a statement saying: “We are pleased to have resolved this matter with CARB, and to have worked out an approach that should avoid future misunderstandings about the proper use of our exhaust systems and emissions-related parts. We are committed to ensuring that our parts fully comply with applicable air quality standards in California, and that our customers and business partners understand the appropriate fitment and uses.”

The full settlement agreement between Paul Langley, President of Vance & Hines and James Goldstene, CARB Executive Officer with recitals of infractions, remedy and decided fine can be read HERE. In its website, Vance & Hines posted an Emissions Notice To Customers In California.

Other California emission-related aftermarket part manufacturers are under investigation, probably with others about to settle their case by sending a check to Sacramento payable to the California Air Pollution Control Fund.

53 Responses to “Vance & Hines Fined $500,000 By California Air Resources Board. Who’s Next?”

1. 1 Rodent Feb 13th, 2013 at 9:50 am

Screw CARB a crooked political patronage appointment commission .

2. 2 deadwood1783 Feb 13th, 2013 at 10:16 am

Its just a shake down guys. Too bad we can’t prosecute the State of California under RICO. They hit DynoJet for a cool million a few years back. Others are sure to get penalties in the future. I wish the motorcycle industry would step off California. Let the State loose your tax dollars, all of them. Manufacturers and Distributors, relocate. See how quick these sanctimonious asses in Sacramento miss you when your gone.

3. 3 GuitarSlinger Feb 13th, 2013 at 10:30 am

California – Like a bowl of granola : What aint fruits and nuts … is flakes

But thems the rules you plays by if you chose to do business in LaLa land . And anyway …. CA’s got to find some way to bring in the bucks …. so’s they can keep Elon Musk and TESLA plugged in 😉

4. 4 Jeff Nicklus Feb 13th, 2013 at 11:07 am

Exactly correct Rodent. This is exactly the reason I have always refused to sell any of my motorcycles in the Peoples Republic of California!

Over & Out,

Jeff

5. 5 Boomer Feb 13th, 2013 at 11:36 am

There are reasons people and companies are leaving CA by a rate of 300,000 a year and this is one of them.

6. 6 Vinnie Feb 13th, 2013 at 11:50 am

Just goes to show you, it’s NOT about saving a tree out here and how they are SOOOOO concerned about the air quality, it’s all about making a buck! F*** them.

7. 7 JoeSchmo Feb 13th, 2013 at 12:04 pm

easy fix. move to another state and be done with that mess they call CA.

8. 8 steve-0 Feb 13th, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Maye the next big quake will just take those idiots!!!

9. 9 domino Feb 13th, 2013 at 12:35 pm

“Who’s Next?” you ask, Cyril… You and me and you and you… I live in Sacramento. Last summer a friend came by to see my (dream) 1986 ski boat I had just picked up. He brought his wife who works for CARB. She took one look at my big ass Merc outboard and said,”Is that a 2 stroke?? We’re gonna get rid of that for you!”
    Just sayin… that seems to be the mindset taught by CARB… Who can we f%#k next…

10. 10 badams Feb 13th, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Witch hunt, shakedown, all the same.

CARB preys on small business owners and the private label contingent. Seen these criminals go so far as to team up with the DOT and Franchise Tax Board and bankrupt shops in the mid 2000’s in CA. Goes along with the theory as to why the SPCN scene died. In the end they would prefer you drive a Hybrid to the Barista to shop on your iPad for slim cut jeans.

11. 11 MADrider Feb 13th, 2013 at 2:00 pm

I left Ca decades ago I would NEVER go back even for a visit. I say everyone boycot calif, stop selling, shipping and producing part for that communist place. CARB is a out of control enitity that thinks they are above even the govenor. If everyone stopped selling and shipping part to ca even if for a short time maybe they would get the point. I do know that more buisness’s and companies are leaving in droves, two of the companies I worked for left the state one for TN the other for NV. better buisness climate carb and the bozos in sacramento are driving all buisness’s and money out of the state. It is only time when there will be nothing left worth anything. . .. ..wait that’s a year away.

12. 12 Fritz Feb 13th, 2013 at 2:03 pm

Shakedown, pure and simple……

13. 13 Keyboard Kowboy Feb 13th, 2013 at 2:05 pm

Welcome to the new Soviet Socialist Republic of Kalifornia…….Coming to a state near you.

14. 14 Big Mike Feb 13th, 2013 at 2:43 pm

Obviously everybody that commented here is not confused about what this is really about. The state needs to fund their entitlement liability. The more buisnesses (money) that leaves the state, the more blatent and irratic (desparate) their actions will become.

Hello Americans……………..Stand by for news!!!

15. 15 Mark Pavlica Feb 13th, 2013 at 2:54 pm

I’m glad we are not in CA. Then again if we were they would have to pay us for coming out with a six speed. Lower RPM’s = less emissions.

16. 16 Lightnin'Larry Feb 13th, 2013 at 4:01 pm

CARB = California Asshole Retarded Bureaucrats

I was born, raised and have lived in California all my life and now I can wait till I retire in 3 1/2 more years so I can get the hell out of this mamby pamby nanny communistic liberal BS of a state and move to a state where the Constitution of The United States of America and personal freedom still have meaning!!!!

17. 17 Kevin Feb 13th, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Hmmmmmm, there is a law with requirements that weren’t met as a matter of filing paperwork. Seems to me Vance & Hines made the mistake of not filing the paper work. Personally I’d pull any bonuses from the person responsible and dock there pay until the companies funds are recouped.

Emissions rules across the land make it illegal to do what most are doing with the aftermarket pipes when it comes to altering the exhaust flow by eliminating catalytic converters and such. So it’s really a matter of one state is vigorously enforcing the law while the others are closing their eyes. Look at the link above to the settlement and what can and can’t be done with the exhaust. Not uncommon from most states.

I think most here on this board are ignoring the laws of the land when it comes to emissions and altering vehicles. So the question for me is when will the manufacturers get off their old ways and develop something new that meets the requirements of today and offers the noise you’re all looking for. This is one industry that is little policed when it comes to altering vehicles beyond the vin and selling vehicles that are barely road worthy. Heck, Billy Lane won a biker build off with a vehicle that couldn’t keep it’s seat on for a mere few hundred miles and that’s just the tip of the ice berg for what is on the road as a “custom”. So many of those Biker Build Off bikes broke once on the road I’m not sure it was a homage to custom building or an embarrassment to those involved who broke once rolling.

18. 18 GuitarSlinger Feb 13th, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Kevin ; On one hand I agree with you . Their ( CA ) ball field … their rules .. follow em or suffer the consequences .

On the other hand though its a know fact CA and their CARB etc business regulators show a distinct and severe bias against small manufactures especially in the automotive as well as M/C world … while cuddling up …. handing over tons of money , incentives and tax breaks to the likes of TESLA etc. Guaranteed if Elon Musk forgot to fill out a form or two CA would come running offering to do it for TESLA at the tax payers expense

19. 19 MADrider Feb 13th, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Kevin I think you missed the point. Before I moved I worked for one of the biggest Header/Aftermarket exhaust companies. I was the person who dealt with the CARB every single day, in compliance, devaolpment, regulations, etc. I am very familliar with there tactics, I would risk to say better than most people, I have first handed experience with there totla disregard for the rules so they make them up as they go along. Also there heavey handedness when dealing with small and large companies. They have a agenda admitted by staff and investigated by independent sources. They have a agenda and the staff is trying there damdest to achive that by ant means. They are out of control and need to be rieined in.

20. 20 Keyboard Kowboy Feb 13th, 2013 at 5:48 pm

@Kevin Sorry bro I gotta call Bravo Sierra…..last time I checked this was still the USA and if the VH system doesent add to the smog over the original OEM there should not be any fine. People are tired of every green crunchy asshole that can land a gubment job getting into their business. Face it its about away to create paper work traps to catch a business doing business and fine them. Its not about clean air its about payolla. I hope and pray the people of Cali will wake up and vote the bums out. As businesses move to AZ, UT, etc they will become more desperate and it will come to ahead. For years and years we have all heard people complaining about the increasing level over regulation and government intrusion (let alone personal intrusion). I predict in the next decade you will see a economic revolt from the financial engine that allows these unionized (nearly unfireable) pencil pushers who have never felt the pain of putting good men and women to work, signing paychecks and putting others before themselves….Business owners are tired of it and the tipping point is just around the corner, the exodus of California businesses are the opening act. Just wait and see how the already strapped high entitlement states collapse as bigger and bigger businesses seek greener pastures. Then the fed will bail them out and basically own them too and essentially pay for their entitlement programs with the fed taxes from the general fund lol round and round we go weeeee.

21. 21 richard Feb 13th, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Kevin is correct. V&H did not conform to the law. They got caught. They are now “paying the piper”. The smog/dirty air in Ca. needs to be cleaned up. This is one small step taken to do so. It’s needed for the benifit of all Ca. residents. Getting a variety of serious lung deseases is the option.

22. 22 Rodent Feb 13th, 2013 at 7:22 pm

Visit www. kill carb.org and get educated by a former nuclear scientist

23. 23 Big Mike Feb 13th, 2013 at 7:35 pm

When the takers can out vote the makers, that’s is when you know we are in a serious downward spiral. Unfortunately, we just past that milestone a couple of months ago.

24. 24 Kevin Feb 13th, 2013 at 9:21 pm

Guitar Slinger,

The government did the same when it was time to get some oil and are actually still giving handouts in the billions to the oil companies. I don’t think they need the $$ given their billions in annual profit. When change is needed it’s the Parent’s job (government) to oversee that change and make sure it happens. Personally, I’d give no tax breaks to company especially without a compliance clause for said jobs when they aren’t provided.

MADrider,

It’s always tough when putting together a new agency responsible for such a broad spectrum of oversight. Since your spelling and grammar are barely understandable I hope I got the message you where trying to convey. IF I was working at CARB and received such a poorly written document I’d probably throw it away or ask that you redo it.

Keyboard,

WOW, that’s a lot of hate. Best I can tell you don’t like paperwork and the need to keep abreast of change and the time it takes to do that. I’m guessing you’re not running a multi million dollar company, privately owned and have more money than most countries. That requires a lot of paperwork, time and less relaxing. Considering I can tell everything about you from your email, including, address, date of birth, income, SS# I’m surprised you own a computer. Business left the U.S. years ago and are now returning. I guess the exemption to all the environmental laws world wide except in Mexico, China and India wasn’t enough for them. I’m guessing you walk as the parts for that Ford/Chevy/Dodge come from China? Oh, and we get the dumbed down U.S. auto version they supply here lacking power, mileage, and technology as a result of our shit gas, even worse diesel and the rest of the world those same cars are offered in have no EPA equivalent. Well they do and it’s amazing what can happen when the oil companies are told to do better or else. Yep, my state and yours has corporate tax amnesty equal to or greater than the States debt. Write your Congress person and ask your state representative to stop taking Federal Government aid.

It’s really just a story about law, abiding by it and change. None of which is easy and evidently even harder for some to grasp.

25. 25 Steve Carr Feb 13th, 2013 at 9:57 pm

Alabama has no such non-sence….we welcome industry here, and have a large and qualified workforce ready and willing …..

come on home to L.A.

Steve Carr

26. 26 keyboard kowboy Feb 14th, 2013 at 12:26 am

@kevin hate? Hmmm interesting. Think about the freedoms that have been lost over the last decades, over regulation, banksters, the need for trillions in debt. Im not a blind drone drinking any party line, btw if you can hack all that info on me by me simply posting to cyril huze he should ban you and report you to the fbi for identity theft etc. So what you just said is because the california passes a set of heavy handed rules hurts businesses etc and i simply dont like it im some kind of idiot, its not about paper work its about right and wrong, sure there are things that must be regulated but they go way to far. Its not hate its frustration breeding anger. Btw im not looking to start some personal fight with some dude on a message board your welcome to your opinion and i mine. I dont think you are an idiot but you do seem to have an attitude problem.

27. 27 keyboard kowboy Feb 14th, 2013 at 1:19 am

BTW kevin if you got my email from cyrils site (its not published) you must have hacked his site a thing im sure he will find less than humorus. So which is it are you a liar or an identity theif? Either way you sure seem to know lots about me….yup. Im sure if you are the latter cyril will be glad to assist in your prosecution. What bothers me about guys like him is he so easily offended into either lying ayeabout stealing my identity or is really motivated to do it because i simply voice a different point of view. Dude get help. And yes i have signed many paychecks in a highly regulated business an i am comfortable with paper work and yes all my businesses were small businesses. I love this country and i love freedom, somthing that is being removed incrementaly by the day. All your rantings dosent change the fact that things are worse today in many ways. You are not all wrong either but retract the claws eltigre this is supposed to be fun remember?

28. 28 Joe Cree Feb 14th, 2013 at 3:19 am

Over the past 20 years I’ve fought my battles with CARB and have no use for them. They target small manufacturers who can’t afford to fight with their limitless budget all in the name of justifying their existance. They’re no longer needed in my opinion and in a state where we can’t afford a decent education system we should eliminate them post haste and put their budget towards public schools. Something that’s obviously needed if you’ve ever been on the business end of their “fuzzy math” version of fines and penalties. Time and space restrict me from going into full details of my tribulations with these people, and I use that term loosely in this case. Plain and simple they’re Smog Nazis.

29. 29 Sportster Mike Feb 14th, 2013 at 5:45 am

Sounds like you guys have a version of ‘our’ EU eurocrats .. ie a bunch of people making up a load of new laws etc that are not needed in order to justify their jobs – we (in England) are on the way to getting super MOT tests, with possibly no modifications allowed whatsover to a car OR motorbike!!!, nothing, nada, diddly squat…everybody is up in arms (and not allowed those either!!)

30. 30 Joh Williams Feb 14th, 2013 at 8:24 am

Just add that to another one of the many reasons I moved from California after 63 years. Now happily living in Florida…

Ride on

31. 31 alley cat Feb 14th, 2013 at 8:30 am

Kevin.

This is serious. shame on ones self.

Return ” keyboard kowboys ” identity back to him so he knows who he is and can function as a normal person.

He [ kowboy] makes a lot of scents.

Keep it coming kowboy .

32. 32 calif phil Feb 14th, 2013 at 9:00 am

I grew up in So Cal. and 15 years ago became part of the “flight of the white”. I moved out of state and reopened my business . No way would I ever open another business in Ca.

33. 33 Jg Feb 14th, 2013 at 10:13 am

Did you ever watch a dump truck leave an intersection in 1st gear ?
    None of my motorcycles ever put out black exhaust like those engines do .

34. 34 keyboard kowboy Feb 14th, 2013 at 10:23 am

Hey ally cat ya better watch youself…. ol kev will get all angry at you and steal your identity next…..perty soon he will be making us all bow down to his superhacker greatness……ALL HAIL KEVIN!

35. 35 Rebel Feb 14th, 2013 at 10:25 am

F-cali

36. 36 keyboard kowboy Feb 14th, 2013 at 10:37 am

Its too bad, i would love to live in San Diego. Some friends of mine just did due to work and they love it but making nearly twice the money they live in half the house etc. As a small business owner there is simply no way. So many people today are programmed not to think for themselves and when they do look at what happens. Kevin didnt like what i had to say about Californias idiotic, over reaching liberal agenda driven government…yea i said it. So he not only insults me and several other longtime posters here who i am very sure know what they are talking about. Goes on to make veiled threats, it the culture today. Love….acceptance, tolerance…..as long as you agree with everything we say or we will destroy you. In the US today it is annoying and harmful to our way of life in other countries in other times it has lead to moutain of skulls. Come to California….cause were not happy till your not happy.

37. 37 Pete F Feb 14th, 2013 at 11:08 am

Just wait , Obama made a statement about moving on climate change (a tax on anything that moves free for all)

38. 38 Kevin Feb 14th, 2013 at 1:20 pm

Glad you guys have a sense of humor.

I’m sure I’ll see everyone in Sturgis, or Daytona or…..

Cyril, heck, I think he’s a nice guy. At least the times
    I’ve met him although he is usually busy and on a mission
    much like me at an event.

39. 39 alley cat Feb 14th, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Good post Kevin .

Its wake up time for Motorcycle industry like it or not. California has taken the reigns to protect itself from the conditions that it was faced with in the past and have improved upon it environmentally.

We may not like the Marshall and his method but what they are saying /doing gets the message across, proof is we are talking about it now.

40. 40 Mark Shubin Feb 14th, 2013 at 4:22 pm

The Goverment my parents? What a horrible thought!

41. 41 Mark Shubin Feb 14th, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Had a V&H Pro Pipe, poorly made, didn’t last. Now have 2 into 1 exhaust built by D&D and it’s miles above my old system. Sounds better too! And it’s made in Texas.

42. 42 Sharrack Feb 14th, 2013 at 9:20 pm

Ahhhhh…..Kaliformistan ! What a state!
    Oh..coming soon…….wannna own a gun?
    1- liability insurance required
    2- any mag over 10 rounds anywhere is a felony…. No granfathering
    3- single shot shotguns only
    4- back ground checks on ammo purchases
    The list goes on…….come to arizona…..where freedom still rings!

43. 43 McGillicutty Feb 15th, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Don’t mean to get too heavy here but I lived in CA when the smog in LA was so bad you couldn’t see the top of downtown buildings and people with asthma couldn’t breath. Americans are led to believe that US companies move to China only because labor is cheaper. It is, but the savings in labor (after added freight) is minor compared to the huge saving in the cost of eliminating toxic waste. In China, they just dump poisonous toxins in the ground, oceans, rivers or burn it in the air which deliver astronomical plus profits to US manufacturers. It costs a fortune in the US to dispose of hazardous waste. I’m a capitalist (not a tree-hugger) but soon the whole world will demand that China become California-rized too. It’s just reality man whether we like it or not.
    =
    =

44. 44 keyboard kowboy Feb 15th, 2013 at 2:47 pm

I do agree with Mcgillicutty, but remember were taliking about motorcycles not jet turbines or heavy trucks. A jetliner sitting on the tarmac at LAX waiting to take off will out pollute just about anything and EVERYTHING you see in your house on the road or in your fridge got there on a diesel truck one way or another. On the other hand if bike owners are eliminating emission controls like catylitics etc thats on them and they should be fined. I just see a half million bucks for not filing paperwork as excessive to say the least. If the law is in place to clean the air than thats what it should do. Last time i checked not filing paper work hasnt caused asthma attacks. Its a shakedown pure and simple, when theyre outta cash the powers that be send out the minions to pimp slap the makers to give to the higher number of voting takers as another poster put it so well.

45. 45 Littlerider22 Feb 18th, 2013 at 1:10 pm

There are EPA and CARB rules for a reason, no matter what it is. Don’t sell aftermarket stuff if you can’t or don’t want to comply. Germany has the TUV and people who are respecting the regulations and what they want have no issue doing business. The car industry does the same. I am not understanding why the motorcycle industry has such a hard time with it., other than the fact they want to portray that “I am a biker, I don’t give a f@#” image. Grow up and follow the rules so you can sell your products.

$500,000? what is this? … one monthly order from LeMans Corp? No big deal. Let’s move on.

46. 46 Andy Fat Boy Feb 19th, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Go East Young Man … Go East. To TX, LA, FL, TN, NC

47. 47 Reyn Mansson Feb 20th, 2013 at 10:53 am

What bothers me is not so much about the air pollution violation itself but rather that an appointed board serves an extra-judicial role as the investigator, judge and corrections enforcer for one category of laws. That CARB can create the offense, determine the guilt, assess the penalty and punish, all apparently without any oversight is the truly scary part of this.

The motorcycle business could be low-hanging fruit for an ambitious bureaucrat who wanted to establish a name for themselves on CA political scene. A ramped up instigation plan could uncover countless technical violations among owners, builders, shops and aftermarket manufacturers. I can see the 6 o’clock news anchor now ” CARB uncovers network of Polluters in Custom Bike Business: Are motorcycles a threat to Public Health?” maybe even a perp walk with Jesse James or something.

48. 48 Delskee Feb 21st, 2013 at 2:05 am

I bet M.A.G. loved that one half a mill huh better get your check book out Arnie and Holgie.

Who’s next retailers thats who better look out DK, JP and MSS how many systems did you sell ?

49. 49 CafeSportyTC Feb 21st, 2013 at 1:12 pm

“So, while you’re all ranting at the government I think the real rant is with the manufacturers and those who can’t seem to face the reality of the world we live in.”

Kevin the world we live in is we are told what to believe by people who have interest in a collapsing system, those who have more to gain from it falling down around them then letting it live. The powers that be telling you that you need to live a certain way for the interest of the planet is B.S. They are the same people that will round you and your kids up later and tell you “sir you and your family are not viable or sustainable, therefore we have to eliminate your carbon footprint” with a shot to the arm or a bullet to the head they will let you know exactly what they think of you.

Eugenics, NWO, Global warming, agenda 21, do a little research, this is just a stepping stone to a final goal. now that i sound like a kook, which is how they minimalize people like me, I just want you to know this isn’t an attack, just a kooky rebuttal

50. 50 CAbobcat Mar 6th, 2013 at 2:09 pm

California is full of idiots like Kevin. We use them to prop up State workers.

51. 51 RayMan Jun 3rd, 2013 at 5:17 am

I have a small internet motorcycle exhaust business that I run out of my home and I’ve just been informed by my supplier that they cannot sell me their products anymore because I am in California, and they’re in California! Fortunately, I have family in Phoenix and am in the process of moving the “business” to Arizona. If not for that, I would have to shut down completely. As it is, I can no longer sell exhausts in the Cali, even if it’s for off-road or display use only! I won’t be able to sell to customers in Cali from AZ either according to the CARB rules. So if you live in Cali and want a new exhaust for your bike, you’re S.O.L. and, I suggest you drive to AZ or NV to purchase it. Oh, and bike shops are also forbidden from installing aftermarket exhausts on bikes, BIG fine if caught. So, if you’re not mechanically inclined, you had better take your bike with you when you buy the exhaust and have them install it too.

52. 52 Terence Tory Jun 3rd, 2013 at 7:08 am

Noise and emission control laws on fossil fuel vehicles = NORMAL Thinking that clean-burning and quiet vehicles are the thin end of a wedge towards a world government in that a half-robot lesbian Chinese queen bee inflicts heath care and compulsory gay marriage on the teeming worker ants = NOT RIGHT IN THE HEAD. All the daft Prepperville talk about “freedom” and “liberty” it is forgotten that freedom comes with it an ultimate responsibility.The responsibility not to piss off and pollute the mass commute,is one.Freedom isn’t “wild west”,it’s “wild western Europe”.”Go west young man” now means go west to China young man.V&H was founded by guys who used their brains for about ten seconds at a time,maybe they’ll read the rule book in full and have a little think from now on.The clock is ticking.

CafeSportyTC : Have a deep breath,more oxygen to the brain will not speed up your processing speed,but it won’t hurt any.

1. 1 Dealer Refuses to Remove Charcoal Canister . . . - Ducati 1199 Forum Pingback on Mar 13th, 2013 at 2:34 pm
Crusher