Spectro Explains Motorcycle Versus Automotive Oils.

HD-Cast-AwayLots of riders, and even some “in-the-know” magazine journalists, say all oils are the same. The FACTS are: engines, drivetrains and demands on motorcycles are different and so are the lubricants required.

Take power: maximum engine output per liter for motorcycles is typically 1.5 to 1.8 times that of automobile engines. Similarly, R.P.M.’s at maximum output are 1.3 to 2 times that of most automobiles. Further, motorcycle engines, being small and lightweight, have a smaller thermal capacity – the result is that motorcycle engine oils can reach temperatures as high as 320° F.

Spectro-OilsMotorcycle oils: 1- MUST contain higher quality shear stabilizers because many run the same lubricant in both the engine and gearbox. 2- MUST have higher volatility to control consumption because they do run hotter. 3- MUST have special additives to better prevent cam wear and oxidation in their extreme heat environment.

So does it make sense to skimp on your motorcycle’s “health” to save a few dollars per oil change? No Way! An average Motorcyclist changes their oil twice a year, using a less expensive oil to save only a few dollars -vs- using high quality motorcycle specific oils. That just doesn’t make sense. Written by Spectro Oils. (engine photo @ harley-davidson)

10 Responses to “Spectro Explains Motorcycle Versus Automotive Oils.”

1. 1 Zipper May 10th, 2013 at 8:47 pm

I’m sure Spectro oils is correct with their explanation but I have used good quality auto race oil in my bikes for over 50 years with no problems. Al of my bikes use different oil in the tranny except for my two moto bikes which I run the auto race oil crank and tranny. I can,t comment on the moto bikes because I have been riding them only 11 years. ..Z

2. 2 Rob May 11th, 2013 at 12:42 am

The manufacture a great gear oil,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

3. 3 Ray May 11th, 2013 at 5:36 am

I use Spectro on my Dyna. Satisfied.

4. 4 Rogue May 11th, 2013 at 6:19 am

I have been riding a long time and have tried many different lubricants in engines, transmissions, primary chain housings etc.
    Some years ago I decided to try Spectro engine oil; I was so satisfied with it now it is the only thing I use in my motorcycles. I also use their transmission and primary oil as well as assembly lube, brake fluid and even their bike wash and polish.
    I would recommend you try their products and see if they are right for you.

5. 5 Scott Sjovall May 11th, 2013 at 8:18 am

Spectro is a great company to work with and their oils are top notch. Dave and his team are always available to talk oil, additive packages and discuss the different types of engine wear that we have started seeing since the anti wear packages were reduced in most auto oils and with the corrosion from ethanol in the fuel and the moisture it attracts. I’m very happy that they are now supplying the S&S oils.

6. 6 Olive Oil May 11th, 2013 at 2:18 pm

S & S used to highly recommend Mobile One but then they changed their minds. Was it all a mind game or $$

7. 7 Blackmax May 11th, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Agree with Scott & Rogue….
    Have used Spectro for sometime now…
    Have tried others & have always come back
    Have worked with Dave & Rollin and they are always helpful with most anything requested.
    A great company and all of their products are Top notch/First rate!!!!

Olive, I believe that S & S is working with Spectro on lubricants branded as S & S.
    Don’t know why except that I think it’s a better motorcycle specifc product

8. 8 Rodent May 12th, 2013 at 10:37 am

I agree with Zipper. Remember when gasoline was hyped as one brand was better than others. Today the gas is all the same with 10% corn crap.

9. 9 Bruce Tessmer May 13th, 2013 at 7:55 am

Olive Oil,

Bruce from S&S Cycle here.

We still consider Mobil 1 20W50 to be a top notch product. The reason we switched to Spectro was not a quality issue with Mobil 1. We wanted to offer a complete line of lubricants for v-twin motorcycles, not just motor oil, and we decided that Spectro was our best option to manufacture the kinds of products we wanted.

Spectro is a smaller company, very much like S&S Cycle in fact. For that reason, they can be very responsive to our requests and they have a reputation for making top quality products.

No mind games!

10. 10 Bigalyts May 13th, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Sounds like maybe I should run Spectro in my Sedan…………………Only a few bucs more. Eh?