Harley-Davidson 110th Commemorative Painting. “Origins” by David Uhl

OriginsUhlDavid Uhl recently put the finishing touches on “Origins”, his tribute to The Motor Company’s 110th Anniversary in Milwaukee later this summer. As a backdrop of this painting Uhl used the Harley-Davidson museum. “Origins” is now available as a hand-signed, numbered canvas Fine Art print. It will be offered in 3 sizes and will be accompanied by a commemorative 110th plaque and Certificate of Authenticity.

Specifics: Image size 18″ x 24″, edition of 365 plus 30 Artist Proofs and 15 Hors d’ Commerce. Framed price $895. Promotional price (through July 17, 2013) $695 Framed. Image size 24″ x 32″, edition of 365 plus 30 Artist Proofs and 15 Hors d’ Commerce, Framed price $1,895. Promotional price (through July 17, 2013) – $1,495 Framed. Image size 30″ x 40″, edition of 150 plus 15 Artist Proofs and 5 Hors d’ Commerce, Framed price $2,895. Promotional price (through July 17, 2013) – $2,250 Framed

Shipping is additional and specific print number requests will be considered on a first come, first served basis. For those collecting “Origins” and “Chance Encounter”, Uhl Studios will offer matching numbers. To reserve your print, call Greg Rhodes at 303-913-4840

23 Responses to “Harley-Davidson 110th Commemorative Painting. “Origins” by David Uhl”

1. 1 Donnie Jul 13th, 2013 at 4:29 pm

The museum used as background doesn’t belong to this painting supposed to be a representation of the 60’s. The Museum was built just a few years ago!

2. 2 Shifter Jul 13th, 2013 at 4:30 pm

3. 3 roscoe Jul 13th, 2013 at 6:30 pm

Yawn…
    Somebody give this guy something else to paint about.

4. 4 Bryan Jul 13th, 2013 at 6:57 pm

This image is SO expected without originality regarding location, character, position, that it’s very boring. Uhl has talent but has fallen into the Harley commercial trap.. Yep, give him something else to paint. About the new Indian?

5. 5 P.Hamilton Jul 13th, 2013 at 7:00 pm

True or not, it looks like an image I have seen before.

6. 6 Sigfreed Jul 14th, 2013 at 10:40 am

I am somewhat stumped at most of the comments here – eg suggesting he should paint an ‘Indian’ for HD’s 110th birthday (viz a brand in itself one with a date of birth that is impossible to peg). A bit like telling somebody to paint Osama for Bush Junior’s 80th birthday – with an inscription: “Like Indian he to will rise from the dead”.

HD is one of the oldest motorcycle companies in existence; the brand loyalty spans the globe like no other motorcycle type; no other brand has evoked a secondary industry as HD has; the brand enjoys recognition among some of the best known ever – such as Coca Cola (etc).

Eg – I particularly enjoyed over-hearing an incident where a ‘new’ Indian was standing in a parking lot and while walking past it, a young boy asked his father what motorcycle it is, the father responded: “I am not sure son – it looks like a Harley Davidson…”

If you are the kind interested in the ‘ORIGINS’ of such an amazing brand (however inconvenient this verity is to others who do not share this sentiment) you go to the.., indeed you guessed it.., museum…

If you do not get the picture then do get the picture – get it? I for one will, it will hang as a prized possession in my pub, to join me while I have my favourite Bourbon with a perfect sunset, while Neil Young’s UNKNOWN LEGEND plays in the background…

7. 7 troll Jul 14th, 2013 at 11:05 am

Harley Davidson has become almost a generic term for motorcycles, just like little kids putting their fingers in their ears when they see a motorcycle…

8. 8 Terence Tory Jul 14th, 2013 at 11:15 am

It does not say what the product actually is.A print from a painting?,a computer drawn art work? Is it a product of an artists eye or is it retouched by software? Personally it bores me to death in the exact same way Dave Mann’s artwork did.It would compliment the “dogs playing poker” school of décor.

9. 9 Pat Simmons Jul 14th, 2013 at 11:26 am

Once again David comes up with a beautiful commemoration, of the Harley Davidson motorcycle, and the up-coming 110th Anniversary. God what a talent! So many of my favorite subjects in there, from the Knucklehead bobber, and Jeff Decker’s incredible sculpture, to the lovely model (is that Karen?) Better order one before they’er all gone… And Donnie, I don’t think this is supposed to be the 60’s, it’s just nostalgic images in a contemporary setting. I can see how you might be fooled. That’s the secret of a great artist, everything becomes timeless as you are transported into their enchanting world.

10. 10 Thelma Jul 14th, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Sigfreed, you are absolutely 100% right. Incidencely, Neil Young wrote UNKNOWN LEGEND about me.

11. 11 tundra Jul 14th, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Spot on, Sigfreed. I’m lucky enough to live 30 miles from the museum. I am a member and try to visit as often as I can and bring a different friend with me each time.

12. 12 Rodent Jul 14th, 2013 at 3:46 pm

Harley is not one of the oldest but one of the only two American old time brands remaining.

13. 13 Rob Jul 14th, 2013 at 4:07 pm

If it was supposed to be a 60’s era painting it wouldn’t have a a representation of the the flag or the hog mag……………it’s about now……

14. 14 roscoe Jul 14th, 2013 at 10:02 pm

It so often devolves into the HD/Indian argument. LOL

Funny how Sigfreed over heard a conversation about the new Indian, when it hasn’t even been released yet.

Unless of course he is referring to a Gilroy or Kings Mtn bike, which was nothing more than an HD parts bin bike.
    Troll is right, so often any cruiser is called a Harley by the uninitiated.

15. 15 uhl Jul 14th, 2013 at 11:59 pm

I am just glad I finally got a rise out of this blog, thanks Cryil!!!! Many thanks for the kind words Pat, your always one to appreciate the endeavors of the artist , being an amazing example yourself. I would like to provide a little background on how this all came about.

Roscoe , perhaps you might have had a suggestion for me as to my choice of subject matter. Sigfreed is correct that an Indian would not have been appropriate for Harley’s 110th……..Part of the risk of putting yourself on a world stage with your creations, you most certainly will not please everyone, but always good to evoke a response. This painting was originally supposed to be a sister piece to my “Enthusiast ” which was done for the 100th. This is why I chose the HOG reference for her reading material..

Mr Tory , this is an oil painting 36×48 and will be on display at the museum during the 110th. Please come see. I spent a month trying to get some good photos of Karen but the weather in Milwaukee was horrific. Finally a nice sunny afternoon provided me with some good ref. And it turned into a Light and shadow composition. Then quite a long production time on this one.

Bryan, I was with Mr Jeff Decker when he originally developed his first bronze “By the Horns” . And then with the Davidson family when they commissioned him to produce the massive monument. Karen and the whole family were there as well… hence her as my choice of her and the location . The museum is a magnificent accomplishment , embodying the historic relevance of the Motor company through the century .And this gracious family has everything to do with it’s existence. Furthermore, I felt lucky to get this perfect example of a period correct Bobber out of Willie’s office for the shoot.

I was recently very fortunate to be in Rome for the week of the 110th celebration , I came away with a new perspective of just how recognizable the brand really is…. You could be floating down the amazon in a remote place where they have never seen a motorcycle and chances are when you yell out Harley-Davidson they will know what your talking about.
    So I welcome all the comments and criticism, it’s an innate part of being an artist. I just thought I should clarify a few things.

16. 16 Xea Jul 15th, 2013 at 9:05 am

Excellent job Dave. Those that are jeolous of you imense talents are the whiners. Don’t let them take away this is a stunning peice of work!

Wish I could afford one.

17. 17 2Dacs Jul 15th, 2013 at 9:18 am

Just 1 tenth of his talent

18. 18 Greg Jul 15th, 2013 at 9:22 am

To clarify, once the original oil painting is completed, we produce a certain number of canvas prints using the giclee printing process. These prints are then hand-signed and numbered by David and sold until they are gone. Each print comes with a Certificate of Authenticity, documenting exactly how many will be produced.

19. 19 Greeko Jul 15th, 2013 at 9:23 am

What would be a hit for an average painter is a miss for Uhl. Quite flat. An image is good if not expected. This one is soooooooo without surprise. I know the next one will be better because Uhl has talent.

20. 20 D. Jersey Jul 15th, 2013 at 9:24 am

Like looking at a custom that has been built many times before.

21. 21 Arturo Martinez Jul 15th, 2013 at 9:27 am

I guess most readers here are not of the HOG Pin type!

22. 22 Blackmax Jul 17th, 2013 at 5:31 pm

Another outstanding work of art !!!

23. 23 Kroeter Jul 22nd, 2013 at 9:28 am

Every artist has a method to their madness. Whether you like the subject or not is immaterial. To get the detail of the Knuckle with paintbrushes is impressive. Got to appreciate that.

Crusher