bikerschoiceThe fines arose after ARB (Air Resource Board) investigators learned that two Tucker companies, Tucker Rocky Distributing and Biker’s Choice, were selling parts that replaced original emissions-critical components, such as catalytic converters, on highway motorcycles. Such sales, even the advertising and offering of such parts for sale, are illegal under California law unless the modifications have been proven to neither reduce the control efficiency nor cause excess emissions.

For nearly four years, the companies failed to take advantage of an industry-requested exemption that would have allowed them to sell the parts legally. The exemption required an engineering evaluation to demonstrate that they will meet required standards.

ARB enforcement Chief James Ryden said, “Tucker Rocky Distributing and Biker’s Choice promptly and fully cooperated with ARB during the investigation, and have implemented a compliance plan to inform their dealers and customers about the types of motorcycle exhaust systems that are legal for sale in the State. We encourage other distributors in the industry to institute similar practices.”

39 Responses to “Motorcycle Parts Suppliers Tucker Rocky And Biker’s Choice Fined $500,000 by ARB”

1. 1 Terence Tory Aug 4th, 2013 at 11:13 pm

ROTFLMAO.People in the industry even tried to help and hold this mobs hand to lift their game and comply. Can’t help some people it seems.

2. 2 Mike Greenwald Aug 5th, 2013 at 4:42 am

Seems like the Air Resources Board might better serve the citizens of the USA and California by choking and muzzling politicians rather than the motorcycle industry. Just a thought.

3. 3 Terence Tory Aug 5th, 2013 at 5:28 am

Mike Greenwald.that was not a thought,and barely even an idle notion.A reaction maybe?

4. 4 Tim Aug 5th, 2013 at 7:09 am

Mike I agree. CA is using this “CARB Board” to shake down business and feed the treasury of a failed state. More and more businesses are leaving the leftist paradise of CA due to the high cost of doing business. Most the surrounding states are finding more and more former CA business relocating to their pro business enviroment. Texas has been one of the big winners.
    CA will soon go the way of Detriot, hey Sacramento keep killing the Golden Goose. Heck CA even tried to put the legend Malcolm Smith out of business, not to mention Arlen, and several others.

5. 5 Oldernowiser Aug 5th, 2013 at 7:15 am

Looks like our old buddy Terence is in line for directorship of the rapidly forming new government CTP program, (California Thought Police), coming soon to a mind near you.

6. 6 Terence Tory Aug 5th, 2013 at 7:42 am

Tim and Oldernowiser .I’m all for running a California Thinking Program.”For nearly four years, the companies failed to take advantage of an industry-requested exemption that would have allowed them to sell the parts legally.” Maybe they should have read the letters and done stuff to comply? I’m sure they will read letters and comply now into the future.The fine will spark a degree of care and attention in the running of the business from now on I bet.Go west young man,like manufacture it in China.

7. 7 Oldernowiser Aug 5th, 2013 at 8:21 am

Terence, I was referring to your response to Mike Greenwald…..Think man, think….!

8. 8 Woody's Aug 5th, 2013 at 9:24 am

Manufacturing in China doesn’t make much difference of you can’t sell it in CA, right? Think man, think. ☺ I chuckle everytime I hear “Ignorance of the law is no excuse” considering we’ve “progressed” to where even the lawmakers who sign many bills are ignorant of their actual content.

9. 9 Rodent Aug 5th, 2013 at 9:38 am

C.A.R.B is made up of political appointees who sucked somebody.

10. 10 richard Aug 5th, 2013 at 9:47 am

The law is the law. If you can’t comply, or refuse to do so then you’re going to have to pay. It seems they were dutifully warned and just thumbed their noses at the arb. I bet they will comply in the future as Vance and Hines did recently. I’m glad someone is looking after the environment.

11. 11 Oldernowiser Aug 5th, 2013 at 10:09 am

I certainly hope your “papers” are in order richard, because eventually you may find yourself in non compliance also. Are you sure your household recycling program meets the letter of the law? Your neighbors are watching you know.

12. 12 Just a Fan Aug 5th, 2013 at 10:18 am

terence tory, STFU, Are you so stupid you don’t know when you type a reply to leave the website box blank unless you have one to put there.

13. 13 CafeSportyTC Aug 5th, 2013 at 11:20 am

California has shot themselves in the foot decade after decade, I really hope that companies will refuse to do business in California if this is the kind of BS they will have to deal with. I say this as a former Californian… not some jerk who’s never been there. California has been chasing companies out with taxes and regulations for years… to hell with em!

14. 14 nicker Aug 5th, 2013 at 9:47 pm

Richard,

RE:
    “…The law is the law. If you can’t comply, or refuse to do so then you’re going to have to pay…”

That is exactly the attitude that allowed Hitler to enslave the German people.
    CARB is just so many officious bureaucrat (D-students) run amok.

That kind-a-thinken would never have occurred to the patriots that threw the Boston tea party.

-nicker-

15. 15 Mike Greenwald Aug 6th, 2013 at 7:01 am

Terrence Tory,

Idle notion? Not hardly. You are entitled to your opinion. I do not “agree to disagree” regarding this subject that includes and is not limited to government overreach. As alluded to and pointed out by others, the ARB is a tyrannical crew of shakedown artists in a State that excels in make believe and cannot produce enough electricity nor fresh water for its own inhabitants. California is a State wrought with entitlements and welfare thinking. This burden is extended to all that wish to live, ride, manufacture or trade there. The idiot wind that blows across the teeth of the politicians and bureaucrats in California fans more flames of discontent than the Santa Ana winds that annually help cleanse the State of resident lookie-lous with a view.

Mike

16. 16 Terence Tory Aug 6th, 2013 at 8:17 am

Mike Greenwald.jump on a plane.Pick a civilised country,like any country.France,Sweden,Norway,Iceland,N.Z,,Australia,Germany and have a look around.Most of these states have massive welfare for all,health care for all, vast entitlements,often free education,and everybody from bums in the street and billionaires benefit from it all.Its a funny kind of burden that pays such high dividends back,ain’t it?Pollution and noise control laws have absolutely nothing to do with government overreach.It’s about controlling noise and pollution.German bike manufacturers and parts suppliers have TuV product laws that are very extensive and elaborate and costly,it just makes them sell better engineered and safer products.Better products are a problem?

nicker,Hitler did not enslave the German common people,he had massive public support for decades.He did enslave much of the non-Germanish people though.

17. 17 Oldernowiser Aug 6th, 2013 at 11:16 am

Oh hell yea!! Free shit for everybody!! I’m moving to Europe!! Italy maybe, or Spain, possibly France. Like I said before, Think man, think!

As to the Hitler reference, you obviously flunked or didn’t attend history class, or perhaps this is the type of revisionist history they are teaching these days. Just because genocide has “massive public support” makes it ok I guess. Ask a German Jew if Hitler was a hell of a good guy, just doing what the public at large demanded. Oh wait…..you can’t…..they’re all dead.

18. 18 Mike Greenwald Aug 6th, 2013 at 11:47 am

Terrence Tory,

I have been there and done that. A hand up is vastly different than a hand out.

“Pollution and noise control laws have absolutely nothing to do with government overreach.It’s about controlling noise and pollution.” Take another toke, dude. Quit mixing philosophical intent with reality.

The percentage of overall noise and pollution from motorcycles and motorcyclists is microscopic in the big picture. It is a control issue and legalization of theft from anybody that rides.

Better products have never been a problem. Consumer complacency and herd mentality are another topic.

19. 19 Terence Tory Aug 6th, 2013 at 10:28 pm

Mike Greenwald,when you travel O.S. practice using this phrase:”Je suis du Canada” as it will avoid being ridiculed by many people,such as when traveling on the TGV.Avoid hawaiian shirts and plaid shorts as travel wear.Strive not to blend paranoid flat earth world views with the random synapse rants of people of the ilk of Grover Nordquist. “legalization of theft” is a nonsensical statement.Like noise control and pollution reduction measures are a philosophical battleground? Rational laws and controls are a small price to pay for a clean,safe and ordered society.Your websites byline:” The constitution as written, liberty, motorcycles and the means and ability to protect them all.” shows me that you avoid reality in order to thrust your own politican views towards others.The constitution as written is a text written by dead hands,only the living interpretation of it by learned men is the least bit relevant to today.There is a phenomenal amount of assumption in your comments regarding my statements.Are you a lawyer,paid industry lobbyist or just post stuff in your idle late night hours? It is not stated clearly on your website,that’s for sure.

20. 20 Madddog Aug 7th, 2013 at 5:07 am

Terence Tory,
    I read all of your posts, and the posts of others back to you ! I was going to stay nutrel ! But now you have me upset as well ! What the hell is Wrong with Hawaiian Shirts ? I think its time for you to take a step back, and rethink your position!

21. 21 Terence Tory Aug 7th, 2013 at 6:20 am

Madddog.okie-dokie.A small concession to foster brotherly love.I’ll only refer to Fijian shirts in the future.I’m still a bit dark on plaid though.Peace.Love.Dove.

22. 22 Mike Greenwald Aug 7th, 2013 at 9:37 am

Terence Tory,

I assume nothing from your comments. I am interested in your views of taxation/fines levied by the ARB. This evolved from my criticism of the Air Resources Board of California and the effects upon the motorcycle industry and the motorcyclist.

23. 23 Terence Tory Aug 7th, 2013 at 10:35 am

Mike Greenwald.I’ve got no problems with fines or levies by ARB on bike companies who don’t play within the law.The effect of ARB and TuV and similar bodies around the world is to encourage vastly superior running bikes and way cleaner emissions out the tailpipe.Who remembers the poor starting,stuttering and faltering cold idle of carbed H-D’s before E.F.I.? This statement is a clanger:”The percentage of overall noise and pollution from motorcycles and motorcyclists is microscopic in the big picture.”.This is what every sector says,the boating crowd,the sports car crowd,air conditioning and home heating firms,lawn mowers and the leaf blower posse.Everybody contributes to carbon emissions and pollution and always says their contribution to it is a small percentage.You could always spend your vacation in Beijing or Tehran and enjoy the clean and pleasant breeze of sweet unregulated megacity air.

24. 24 burnout Aug 7th, 2013 at 3:07 pm

Terence Tory while I appreciate the stick you are using to stir up the pot I must agree with Mike. Ultimately it is our freedoms that suffer and dirty air gets dirtier as time goes on………………….. No matter what the go’ment does. peace

25. 25 aka rc Aug 7th, 2013 at 3:12 pm

“Who remembers the poor starting,stuttering and faltering cold idle of carbed H-D’s before E.F.I.?”

Hmmmm, my carborated Harley has over 80,000 miles on it. Runs like a timex.

My efi Has had four starters and half the engine rebuilt in 40,000 miiles.

ask them why, “duh we don’t know” we just fix em after they break.

Then mid run on the 103’s they add automatic compression release valves.

“is to encourage vastly superior running bikes and way cleaner emissions out the tailpipe.”

They are all crooks and liars!

26. 26 Blackmax Aug 7th, 2013 at 6:19 pm

Every time I see an article on this subject
    (and we are seeing them more & more often) I keep thinking the same thing,
    Why in the world would ANYBODY who has anything to do with the motorcycle
    industry keep manufacturing ANYTHING in Cali. ?????
    You’re just asking to be robbed !!!!

27. 27 nicker Aug 7th, 2013 at 9:53 pm

Blackmax

RE:
    “…Why in the world would ANYBODY [do] ANYTHING in Cali. ?????

As the song goes:
    “…Welcome to the hotel California…. you can check in anytime ya want, but you can never leave…”

-nicker-
    (and ride year around without foul-weather gear…..:-)

28. 28 Terence Tory Aug 7th, 2013 at 11:24 pm

Many people confuse “freedom” with doing what ever the hell you want:It is not.Exercising freedom has the ultimate responsibility to the person and society.In practice true “freedom” has more real checks and balances than a totalitian state ever has,because in a state of “freedom” the only one you can blame for good or bad is yourself.Cowards (in my opinion) love to blame banks,laws and government as it takes the onus of responsibility and heat off their own actions.It lets them off the hook.Its like just blaming daddy or running to mummy.Deal with the Man,avoid the Man,do what ever it takes.But don’t waste your breathe or heart getting emotional about the Man.

aka rc ,I knew when I penned that statement someone would bob up with a big twin that runs like a clock.I have know plenty that don’t run half right when started or cold.If you EFI bike wears out like that get it dyno tuned by a pro:problem solved.

29. 29 aka rc Aug 8th, 2013 at 11:33 am

“In practice true “freedom” has more real checks and balances than a totalitian state ever has,”

Correct because a totalitrian state has few checks and balances. Primarily when their actions threaten “free countries.” Which was only effective until “free” countries such as the U.S. realized that they could export slavery and profit of off thee human bondage of totaltarianism. “Free trade” between a “free” country and a totalitarian state in real terms, not theoritical, is not free, is not checked and is not balanced. So this statement was a duh……….

The ulitmate responsibility of the person and society is to understand the meaning of a social contract. Or contract period. If I vote for you based on an “oral contract” i.e. you said you would work towards certain goals that I agree with and the only payment you are asking for is my vote and you violoate that contract then our agrement is null and void. You no longer represent me. I want my vote back and I want you out of office.

If while in office you have engaged in actions such as gerry mandering, immenient domain, congresional priviledge, etc. Then you, with others of same selfish interest, have diminished my right to seek redress.

If you had no intention of upholding your agreement with me and had side agreements with those who paid money for your vote. Then you also committed fraud and should be charged.

“in a state of “freedom” the only one you can blame for good or bad is yourself.”

That is incredibly niave unles you live in a vacum. There are good and bad people. Bad people can cause harm to good people. Is the good person to blame for the actions of the bad? I can’t even believe I’m even commenting on such ingnnorance. But it appears we are dealing with someone who has never had to work with migrant workers picking crops in a “free” country full of checks and balances. Theory and fact are two different animals.

The populace can be held responsible for not educating themselves and relying on goernment to do so or they would understand, not necessasarily have the balls, but a least understand the need to fertilize the tree of liberty with a bit of tyrant blood now and again. Oh but wait, Our “free country” has over the years been implementing programs to insure that can not be done.

“Cowards (in my opinion) love to blame banks, laws and government as it takes the onus of responsibility and heat off their own actions”

This I can agree with. As the citizenry succumbs to the propaganda of such corporate marketing propaganda such as “screw politics, lets ride”. In the end the responsibility will lay with those who did not have the balls to get off their collective ass and rebel against tryanny. But then they were free to sit on their ass.

To that end I would ask, where were you during the Vietnam war demonstrations or Occupy where constitutionally legitimate dissenters were crushed by jackbooted thugs hired by those elected to represent you? Or does the suppression of the right of assembly and freedom of expression/speech in fact, represent you!

“But don’t waste your breathe or heart getting emotional about the Man.”

Sorry dude, but I get emotional when I see my friends and loved ones fighting as hard as they can to keep their heads above water while otherss do everything they can to drown them!

“.If you EFI bike wears out like that get it dyno tuned by a pro:problem solved.”

The consensus of the pros is, “duh we do not know”. Not one pro or one shop. But by other “factory” pro’s and shops. But you see that iis a lie. They do know. Just as they have known about other problems but would not address them until made to because it is cheaper not to.

Google a bit on twin cam engines, compression, combustion and heat. In this day and time of computer driven MC’s (and other vehicles) all things are connected. I take that back, maybe the kickstand operates independently. I am fortunate my problems are occuring under warranty. There is a body of evidence out there that indicates that same problems are occuring in a vast number of bikes engineered to run at higher temperatures. But the damage is not occuring as quickly as in mine. Mine is just the canary in the coal mine and not the only one.

In florida, under the Lemon law, were this a cage I could be done with it. The Lemon law does not apply to motorcycles.

Problem not solved yet but will be.

30. 30 Terence Tory Aug 9th, 2013 at 12:37 am

aka rc,I read this statement “Correct because a totalitarian state has few checks and balances.” and lost interest in absorbing intently much more.A totalitarian state is all about checks and balances on the individual.”In a state of “freedom” the only one you can blame for good or bad is yourself.”,I should have written:“in a true state (condition) of exercising personal “freedom” the only one you can blame for good or bad personal events is yourself.”,sorry.

Quote:”The populace can be held responsible for not educating themselves”,Nope,in a civilised country it is the responsibility of the state to ensure the basic education of the people and it should be free of cost to parents or students.That works just fine in many other places around the world way smaller and poorer than America.

No,you vote for representatives to represent,not to do your bidding.Circumstances change and politicians do their best in response much of the time.The whole paid political lobby process should cease,be criminalized and end up in land fill as a bad joke.I believe people are generally pretty good all round,even bad@#$es.The “so called” good people of this nation are responsible for the criminalization of an entire race,the ludicrous drug laws and an imbalance in the distribution of wealth surpassing the Russian Tzars.Oh,and wars that achieve zilch.

I saw a Kawasaki on a dyno that did not run right at all.The problem was traced to the kickstand ignition cut-out switch sending a spike through electrical system that caused the ECU to shut down.It was quite funny.The switch was disconnected and the bike ran fine.

My soapbox is creaking under the strain.

31. 31 aka rc Aug 9th, 2013 at 12:05 pm

“totalitarian state is all about checks and balances on the individual.”

If you will reread that you did not wish to absorb you will see my reference was the lack of checks and balances was in regards to a totalitarian form of government.

”In a state of “freedom” the only one you can blame for good or bad is yourself.”,I should have written:“in a true state (condition) of exercising personal “freedom” the only one you can blame for good or bad personal events is yourself.”,sorry. – ”

SHould have but you did not. However even that is not correct as you leave out the possibility of random circumstances and events that impact all of us under any form of government.

,”Nope,in a civilised country it is the responsibility of the state to ensure the basic education of the people and it should be free of cost to parents or students. – ”

The people are the state. It is the responsibility of parents and concerned citizens to insure that “their” children are being educated as per historical and scientific fact. Throw in theory and philosophy to encurage critical thinkiing and hopefully motivate inquiry. Reading might be nice too but then in a world of two minute sound bytes who uses it anymore. You are correct, it should be at no cost to students and available to all as the benefits will accrue to all.

“The “free trade” of the U.S. is often somewhat less than free with many countries because the size of the U.S.A. and due to that,quote:”massive imbalance of power”.”

Adam Smith may have a problem with exporting slavery and your manufacturing base, paying brazillian cotton farmers not to plant cotton and any number of subsidies (which are nothing more than tarrifs and import taxes in disguise). A term I would use is “Massive Abuse of Power” which leads to a priviledged class that leads to totalitaraism.

“No,you vote for representatives to represent,not to do your bidding.”

Semantics is my first thought. But then they do take an oath to uphold the constitution. To bad they are not held to it.

IF this is true:

“The whole paid political lobby process should cease,be criminalized and end up in land fill as a bad joke.I believe people are generally pretty good all round,even bad@#$es.The “so called” good people of this nation are responsible for the criminalization of an entire race,the ludicrous drug laws and an imbalance in the distribution of wealth surpassing the Russian Tzars.Oh,and wars that achieve zilch. ”

Then this:

politicians do their best in response much of the time.”

Can not be unless by best you mean “best” for them.

“Harley-Davidson could not work out the oil overheating and oil flow problems with the TC88 so they got Jim Feuling to debug it as best as he could.I know guys with hard-running TwinCams that run just fine and last.”

I could pull a traiilor with my carborated TC88. Would not attempt it with my TC96. The tc96 was in production a relatively short time when they bumped up to the tc103 which at some point in time they added compression releif valves too. Ask yourself why ?

HD tried for the longest to blame the probs with the TC96 on me. Which they never did with the tc88. They even tried to tell me Amsoil was the prob. Until some friends took HD syn, mobile 1 and Amsoil and applied an acetylene torch to them. And that is the thing, there have been other people smarter than I googling the shit out of this stuff until 2 of us went to hd and called bullshit.

They then copped to the fact that they really have no clue what has caused any of my probs. But they will keep fixing it until warranty runs out. I still call bullshit cause Harley knows what the problem is. And they will make a lot of money on fixing tc 96’s and 103’s that get enough miles on them to fail.

Coal miners carried canary’s into the mines not for what they could see, but for what they could not!

Good thing I used the word “Maybe” on the kickstand thing.

Anything poorly built will crumble, including soapboxes. Feel the strain?

32. 32 Andygears Aug 9th, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Not for nothin but…. I’m a swap meet vendor in Florida and just found a market for the cast off stock muffler/ exhaust which are practically given away. Bikes shipped to Europe MUST have stock, stamped HD exhaust, so “One man’s trash….” It beats scrapping a $320. List price stock dresser muffler for the going rate of about $.50 scrap metal.

The world’s gone crazy

Andygears

33. 33 Woody's Aug 10th, 2013 at 8:56 am

@TT Where you you get off telling Mr Greenwald “It is not stated clearly on your website,that’s for sure.” while you hide behind the bushes yourself? At last he (Mike) has the balls to identify himself and not have a “nothing link” for his website. You’ve done pretty much nothing but stir shit since you popped up here. It’s not required to agree with folks’s opinions, but a few more people like you and I hope Cyril starts to require people identify themselves when coming here to be so judgemental.

34. 34 Woody's Aug 10th, 2013 at 8:57 am

Meant “At least he …” 😉

35. 35 Terence Tory Aug 10th, 2013 at 9:25 am

Woody’s,I stated:“It is not stated clearly on your website,that’s for sure.” And it isn’t.He says on his “about” page: “The constitution as written, liberty, motorcycles and the means and ability to protect them all.” His purpose to me is as clear as mud.Is his site a “automatic internet search engine newspaper robot” ? He chooses to identify himself,but not his clear focus.And has not. Anonymity in the written word is an established tradition in western society that has fostered the free exchange of ideas and debate for hundreds of years.Living a life unspotted by the world is not hiding,it is a choice.If your opinion,of my opinion troubles you,avoid reading anything I write.I’m sure a least few here find my comments witty or pertinent.

36. 36 Woody's Aug 10th, 2013 at 11:05 am

“I’m sure a least few here find my comments witty or pertinent.”. If I were you (in the bushes somewhere) I’d probably cling to that belief also ☺

37. 37 Mike Greenwald Aug 11th, 2013 at 8:56 am

Terence Toby,

Possibly, you may want to read all of the website entries on my site. Thank you for the insight into your depth of character and intellect. Your flagrant comments are, in many cases, thought provoking, controversial, and downright rude. For me, seeing your comments in any thread is the equivalent of following a manure wagon on a one lane road. Certainly, you are doing your best, and your substantive comments are just fragrant. I am glad that you are here.

Mike Greenwald

38. 38 aka rc Aug 11th, 2013 at 12:51 pm

“I’m sure a least few here find my comments witty or pertinent.”

Good one, Terrence.