Motorcycle Exhibit Documents The New Wave Of Women Who Ride

On September 12, 2013, under the headline “Women On Motorcycles”, I featured the photographic work of Lanakila MacNaughton, a Portland based young photographer and motorcyclist. Through her lens (Hasselblad CM), her mission is to reveal the beautiful women that live to ride, present female riders from all different communities, riding backgrounds, and styles, and maybe help them to connect with other female bikers. Lanakila MacNaughton latest project is “The Women’s Motorcycle Exhibition” a traveling show whose next date is December 13, 2013 at the Riverside Art Museum 3425 MissionInn Ave, Riverside, CA 92501 (admission is $5.00)

12 Responses to “Motorcycle Exhibit Documents The New Wave Of Women Who Ride”

1. 1 Rodent Oct 10th, 2013 at 8:23 am

Good looking chicks riding great beater bikes.

2. 2 BobS Oct 10th, 2013 at 7:23 pm

“The real women who ride”. Are we already subdividing women riders into categories? What does a woman need to do to qualify as a real one?

3. 3 Adi Oct 10th, 2013 at 8:56 pm

Ugh… can people just ride bikes without this whole gender nonsense… I don’t give a crap if your a woman riding a motorcycle… who cares just ride and be a good person and accepting of our fellow riders. The only issue I see today is being looked down on by the select few clicks of barista fashion riders who’s poo don’t stink. All in all… I love the culture and love everyone… ride safe!!!

4. 4 Kathy Oct 11th, 2013 at 9:46 am

Thank you Bob and Adi. I agree. I ride. I am a woman and I really don’t care for being profiled in my own gender. If one rides…one is a real rider. Period. It is the skill level that matters, and that’s non gender. However, and that’s a big however, I do think this young lady’s talent is worth taking a look at. Its very good and very artful. The name “real” should have had more thought, but I will be visiting her work.

5. 5 Kathy Oct 11th, 2013 at 10:00 am

I omitted one thing in my above comment here, and that is “real” isn’t in the title here. It’s just “women”. My response is general with the above comments.

6. 6 Kathy Oct 11th, 2013 at 10:05 am

I blew it again….”real” is not in the title of the post. Its on the film. So sorry. Had to clarify for comments.

7. 7 Cris Sommer Simmons Oct 11th, 2013 at 1:19 pm

I wish I had a nickel for every time someone asks me why I ride or what it’s like to be a woman rider. I’m pretty sure I ride for the same reasons guys ride. But, the photos are great anyway!

8. 8 chacha Oct 11th, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Rock’n shots. Well done.

9. 9 Highrider Oct 12th, 2013 at 9:23 am

Cool, I will right Flank anytime with women who have a solid ID

I like the Capt America Helmet. shows respect in many ways.

Beautiful and elegant. Bravo!!!

10. 10 James just another Crazy Kiwi Oct 13th, 2013 at 2:52 am

I think it is the best change socialy motorcycling has seen.
    Women out there doing it, is great.
    They add allot to the enjoyment of it and often add a different perspective.
    Any Women out there want to ride through New Zealand give me a yell.

No I’m not a weirdo…….It’s just the voices in my head..honest…

11. 11 DRAGON Oct 24th, 2013 at 2:50 pm

SAY WHAT YOU WANT BUT THESE LADYS WERE HAVEING A DAMN GOOD TIME AND WOULD LOVE TO SEE THIS LADYS ART WORK

12. 12 Delores Oct 24th, 2013 at 10:31 pm

I’m looking forward to the exhibit when it goes to the Riverside Museum.
    Too bad none of those “real” women believe in ATGATT. Not even just one. Which would be nice seeing as how this exhibit quite possibly will inspire other women to ride.

Crusher