New For 2014. Vintage 4-Piston Brake Calipers By Performance Machine.

pmbrake11pmbrake22Inspired by the design of the dual-action cast brake caliper that Performance Machine was manufacturing in the 70’s, for 2014 the company is launching a new vintage style 4-piston front caliper.

Inside, Performance Machine proven 4-piston internals. Outside, CNC-machined fins give the caliper its vintage style while keeping the caliper cool and providing optimal braking power with no flex. Both the precision machined PM logo around the accent bolt and centrally located banjo add the finishing touches of a true classic motorcycle part.

Available in machine ($420.95), black and chrome ($439.95) PM Ops treatment for 84-up braking applications. Accent bolts are available in chrome and black, red and blue anodizing. Performance Machine.

Zipper's Kits For New Bikes

35 Responses to “New For 2014. Vintage 4-Piston Brake Calipers By Performance Machine.”

1. 1 B. Temple Dec 29th, 2013 at 9:24 am

Beautiful brakes.

2. 2 Josh Parker Dec 29th, 2013 at 9:26 am

Will sell well.

3. 3 Dar @ Brass Balls Cycles Dec 29th, 2013 at 11:23 am

Really good looking.

4. 4 Cantrell Dec 29th, 2013 at 12:13 pm

I really don’t understand why motorcycle calipers are so expensive. I have been buying automotive drag racing calipers for years and they cost $175.00 each plus $18.00 for the pads. I guess when you add MC to the part number the value goes up. Oh well…

Cantrell

5. 5 Terence Tory Dec 29th, 2013 at 12:18 pm

For a caliper that would cost about 40 dollars to make I can’t see why anyone would pay over 400 for one.

6. 6 Shifter Dec 29th, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Terence. Because people are smarter than you and know that nobody can manufacture a brake like that for $40, even the Chinese. By the way can I order from you for a caliper just like these ones for $40?

7. 7 Terence Tory Dec 29th, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Shifter,what’s your estimate of manufacturing cost per unit?

8. 8 Josh Parker Dec 29th, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Terence. Including packaging, marketing, advertising, distribution, around $220. Then they make about 35% when sold to a dealer, then the dealer must make about 30%+. And we arrive at a price which is the MSRP. You seem to know nothing about the mc business.

9. 9 Terence Tory Dec 29th, 2013 at 1:23 pm

Josh Parker.I know what lumps of billet cost and how long a CNC takes to machine it: not much in both cases.

10. 10 New Here Dec 29th, 2013 at 6:29 pm

Terrence, you’ve claimed to be a motorcycle designer, yet you do not have one photo of anything you have done you say. Now once again you show your ignorance about the manufacturing side of the business. You are a nobody who just keeps digging a whole that you should be buried in.

11. 11 Woody's Dec 29th, 2013 at 6:33 pm

New Here, +1 Then we add the liability insurance being a lot higher on bike brakes than cars, and the lower sales volume compared to automotive now matter what your market share is and any 40-IQ mouth breather could figure it out….or not ;)

12. 12 Woody's Dec 29th, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Really nice piece BTW!

13. 13 Patrick Dec 29th, 2013 at 8:47 pm

Don’t forget the cost of running a business, rent or mortgage, utilities, corp. taxes, payroll taxes, obamacare, etc.

14. 14 Terence Tory Dec 29th, 2013 at 9:50 pm

Josh Parker,so say one caliper costs $120 to make for the purpose of conversation.Then the whole failed US business model kicks in with all the ad-on costs that the customer does not need.It’s like when it leaves the works there are all these big hungry dog eyes that want their cut.Why not machine them in Taiwan,sell them online and ship them in a Fedex box.

Forgetting items produced in India and the rest of Asia,how can British motorcycle products often be so cheap operating in a similar business and tax regime?

If PM products need a pretty box and “marketing” now after making quality brakes for decades,you have to wonder.

Patrick,all those things you mentioned are of no concern to the buyer.That’s why two-thirds of everything you touch is from a container from a slow boat from China.

15. 15 Steve Carr Dec 29th, 2013 at 10:22 pm

again…..

The Fearless leader of the “know-everything-let’s be negative” team shines with all the vast knowledge he thinks he has.

As mentioned above, that hole he is digging for himself just gets deeper and deeper.

Steve Carr

16. 16 rob Dec 30th, 2013 at 12:12 am

I’m partial to Jaybrake………………….

17. 17 The Supreme Team Dec 30th, 2013 at 2:58 am

Terence,
    Just to give you an idea, the billet will run you about $11-13.00 per set. Pistons, depending upon SS or aluminum can run you another $3.00-5.00 or so.
    Since you don’t seem to have a concept of the time involved in machining billet calipers, there is approximately 3-4 set ups per side of the caliper, and about 30 minutes of machining per SET. Add another 10 minutes of machine time on the 4 pistons.
    As I understand, PM may use an aluminum piston which is hard anodized then ground (not really familiar with their stuff). We use a 304 SS in ours then polish them…either way…more cost involved.
    At an estimated shop rate of $75/hr, we’ll say there’s $40 into the machine time, $18 into the materials and an approximate set up cost of $500 for a 200 unit run. You need to either cut the material or have it cut..add about 2.00 there as well
    You’re into the caliper for 62.50 at this point. Add a polish job of about $12.50 per set, and chrome of about another $10/set, and you’re at $85 with zero margin. Package them, inspect them, test them, and you’ve got an extra $5 into them. That brings us to $90 per set. PM needs to make “some” margin off there, so let’s go with a 30% margin. That brings you up to $128.50. They get a whopping $38.50 for themselves. Now distributors want their 35% which brings them to about $198 at distributor cost, then to dealers at about $282, then to retail at about $403.50.
    I’m not sure exactly what PM’s costs are, but yes, that cost is within reason for an American made
    billet caliper.
    Any time you’d like to come on down and actually see what it takes to produce an AMERICAN MADE billet product Terrence…come on down. Until that time, quit being so negative. Always one guy who knows better than the rest of the industry.
    Bill

18. 18 The Supreme Team Dec 30th, 2013 at 2:59 am

Oh…and PM…nice looking unit. Well done.

19. 19 Doc Robinson Dec 30th, 2013 at 7:14 am

Great design PM, and I’m certain that they will be of the same top shelf quality that all your other products display. Well done as always!

20. 20 Calif Phil Dec 30th, 2013 at 8:42 am

The PM retro style looks great. When the Terence Tory $40 calipers go on
    sale at some internet store I will be sure and pass

I would much rather pay more for a quality American made product
    In fact I have a PM caliper hanging on the front end of my Paughco springer
    I know I could have saved $1400 if I bought a DNA springer.
    No thanks! Please keep supporting the American manufactures.

21. 21 Andy Lund Dec 30th, 2013 at 9:25 am

Kudos to Bill @ The Supreme Team. I am always impressed by companies that stand up for their competitors instead of knocking them. Thanks for the explanation of costs involved. I can use that help me sell American made products.

22. 22 Drew Dec 30th, 2013 at 10:32 am

First off, Performance Machine has, does, will hopefully continue to manufacture top quality components, and this new caliper style is yet another perfect example.

Next, “Always one guy who knows better than the rest of the industry. Bill”
    Unfortunately very true Bill. Plus, this is more times than not a person who has no actual first hand knowledge, yet gets their normally unheard & most times inane views shown on the world wide web while hiding behind the curtain of internet anonymity.

23. 23 Woody's Dec 30th, 2013 at 12:19 pm

I’m saving up for a gen-u-whine TT “magic mill” CNC center. Just throw a piece of stock in the old Kurt D810 and hit the green button. Walk away and come back later to get your finished part. No engineering or prototype testing needed, not even any time-wasting program writing. Ya just lay your hands on the machine and picture the piece in your head while doing a 5-second mind-meld. Parts come out degreased, deburred, honed, and if you throw some O-rings in the tool changer it’ll install them, too. Can’t believe I’m the last one to know of this technology.

24. 24 USAYGO Dec 30th, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Woody’s, Good One!

25. 25 The Supreme Team Dec 30th, 2013 at 1:50 pm

LOL@ Woody’s. Let me know if they’ll do a group buy…I could really save some time on designs and prototyping…my private label guys would love me!

26. 26 bozack Dec 30th, 2013 at 6:16 pm

Funny if you type in Terence Tory in google and search images the only thing you will see having anything to do with bikes is cyrils blog…not a Terence sighting anywhere else on the web.

27. 27 Doc Robinson Dec 30th, 2013 at 6:22 pm

Bozack, you got it! For a great designer and builder (ha ha) he sure keeps a low profile.

28. 28 Woody's Dec 30th, 2013 at 10:17 pm

In all fairness, anyone can invent a name for a BBS. I just can’t shake the images of Terrence & Phillip from South Park when I read his posts ☺

29. 29 Steve Carr Dec 30th, 2013 at 10:21 pm

The best thing that guy can do is to simply read the blog, and keep his no value comments to himself. There is no way a person can gain respect from others by using constant negativity.

The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

As stated above, it’s easy to hide behind a keyboard. This blog is designed to allow us to be identified, let others know who we are, not to pretend to be some kind of expert and hide behind a fake name.

Sad day’s my friends, sad day’s….

Steve Carr

30. 30 A 1 MIKE Dec 31st, 2013 at 8:19 am

JUST HAVE TO SAY IF “TERENCE TROY” EVER SHOWS UP AT A BIKE EVENT HE WONT BE LEAVING IN ONE PIECE..KEYBOARD COMMANDO!..CYRIL LIKES THE BANTER OR OTHERWISE HE WOULD HAVE OUTED THIS MYSTERY MAN…OR WOMAN..OR KID..WHO KNOWS.BUT HIS OPINION IS WORTHLESS

31. 31 Woody's Dec 31st, 2013 at 11:17 am

@Supreme Team- Bad news, I’m not gonna get one after all. Looking over the PDF on the gen-u-whine TT “magic mill” CNC center – I see in the fine print it only works with billet Unicornium, using cutting tools made from Unobtanium Carbide and mermaid tears for coolant. Too rich for me, I’ll hafta stick with an old Series1 & whale oil :(

32. 32 USAYGO Dec 31st, 2013 at 5:45 pm

A 1 MIKE, I don’t think we will ever see Terrence at bike event, unless he puts training wheels on his keyboard

33. 33 Joe M Jan 2nd, 2014 at 7:15 pm

$420 and still won’t work as well as my $20 swapmeet tokico.

34. 34 Terence Tory Jan 3rd, 2014 at 4:32 am

Joe M must be a real biker that bolts on boneyard finds and makes it work.Respect.

35. 35 Steve Carr Jan 3rd, 2014 at 1:33 pm

Terence Tory must be a real Jackass that lives in a false world of confusion. No Respect.

Indian Motorcycle