Moving Mirrors Up And Out For Better View Around Tall Rider Shoulders

Mirror-Extension-KitKeep an eye on your tail with the new Harley-Davidson Mirror Extension Kit (P/N 56000039 Chrome, P/N 56000042 Satin Black; $54.95) from Harley-Davidson®. This extension repositions the motorcycle mirror approximately 2” outward and 1” upward to give tall riders a clear view past their shoulders.

Easy to install, the extensions fit a wide selection of Harley-Davidson® Original Equipment and accessory mirrors, and are available finished in chrome or satin black to match existing mirrors and hand controls. The Mirror Extension Kits fit 2006-later Dyna®, 2008-later Softail®, and 2009-later Road King® (except CVO™ models) and Road Glide® models. More info at Harley-Davidson’s Website

Barnett Harley-Davidson

23 Responses to “Moving Mirrors Up And Out For Better View Around Tall Rider Shoulders”

1. 1 Rick Lossner Jan 2nd, 2014 at 9:37 am

Good Option…

Day 1 when I bought my FLTRX I realized my mirrors were useless…this is exactly what I needed…

Of course, most of us want to strip off the stock ones anyways and install some ‘cool’ ones with character.. but.. these extensions solve a real problem :)

2. 2 kickstand1 Jan 2nd, 2014 at 12:11 pm

I am tall and could possibly benefit but I have to think that a better looking part could have been designed.

3. 3 Shifter Jan 2nd, 2014 at 3:09 pm

A good idea belonging to Harley

4. 4 takehikes Jan 2nd, 2014 at 4:07 pm

Design and build a mirror that isn’t right so you can design and build an extension for it?
    Yup HD.

5. 5 .357 Magnum 12 Jan 2nd, 2014 at 4:48 pm

That looks ridiculously contrived. I’m its target audience, and would never pay for something so jerry-rigged-looking. Don’t they still offer longer-stemmed mirrors? Why not just use those? Or make the stems detachable from the mirrors, so we can choose different up/out dimensions, like we do with handlebars, and still let us customize the mirrors separately.

6. 6 Lyle Landstrom Jan 2nd, 2014 at 4:55 pm

Looks OK to me. And it looks as if it’s be stiffer than a longer stem. Some guys like their mirros close to the bars and others don’t. This gives an option of adjustability. And, a clever person could incorporate some hand guards/wind deflectors attaching at the mirror stem/extension joint.

7. 7 LoneRider Jan 2nd, 2014 at 6:44 pm

I made my own because NO ONE made anything worthwhile, and attractive enough to put on my bike. I just milled some out of aluminum cost me FIVE BUCKS with the gas to go and get the materials. I would not bolt these on either.

8. 8 Iron Horse Jan 2nd, 2014 at 7:52 pm

Totally agree with 357 Magnum 12! These things look ridiculous. HD just needs to make some longer stemmed models for those of us that are not vertically challenged. The same can be said for most of their motorcycle line…make something that doesn’t make me look like a gorilla on a moped.

9. 9 Woody's Jan 2nd, 2014 at 10:12 pm

As always-in the eye of the beholder. Glad it comes in black so it’ll match my Fat Bob. The mirrors shake bad enough now, so I can’t imagine going with longer stems opposed to a more solid arrangement. Worth a shot, anyway.

10. 10 Terence Tory Jan 3rd, 2014 at 4:46 am

H-D is the only M/C company in the world that would design and market a mirror extension to try to make up for the fact that longer mirror stems would shake so much no rear traffic would be visible,and fatigue and break off from vibration.When did being able to see behind you on a new bike become an “upgrade”?

11. 11 James just another Crazy Kiwi Jan 3rd, 2014 at 5:07 am

Ugly ! ! ! just make extended stem mirrors

I get tired of looking at my own body….

12. 12 Gio Santa Mamba Jan 3rd, 2014 at 7:37 am

No no! Agree with .357 Magnum

13. 13 tim Jan 3rd, 2014 at 8:18 am

That is the ugliest, jerry-rigged (can we still say that or is someone offended?) piece of crap I have seen for the longest time. What is next taping popsicle sticks to you clutch and brake levers to make them longer? HD and the aftermarket make a lot of long stem mirrors that you can see perfectly with. Been using them for year on my Road Glide. I have no trouble seeing behind me with them even at “slightly over the posted speed limit.”

14. 14 Blackmax Jan 3rd, 2014 at 8:39 am

Looks .like it might answer a need
    but, yes they are ugly & no, i would not use them

15. 15 bilbo baggins Jan 3rd, 2014 at 10:46 am

Glad the factory finally caught up. I too am well over 6′ tall and the stock mirrors game me a great view of my shoulders. Problem solved this past riding season. Kuryakyn has better looking and cheaper extensions. Looks just like a longer stem!!! And it’s NOT plastic.

16. 16 Dr. Doom Jan 3rd, 2014 at 11:24 am

Check out the Kuryakyn units. Simpler & better design.

17. 17 industryguy Jan 3rd, 2014 at 11:43 am

This idea is nothing new. Metrics have been using these for years.

Kuryakyns look much better and are less expensive.

18. 18 jim Jan 3rd, 2014 at 12:58 pm

HD makes extensions for the mirrors standard on th e police model

19. 19 rick Jan 3rd, 2014 at 1:46 pm

Mirrors?
    We don’t need no steenking mirrors.
    Check out skullyhelmets.com, as featured in a previous Cyril post.

20. 20 MC Jan 3rd, 2014 at 10:29 pm

Not too fugly,it’s another option that might be right for some…

I’m under 6′ ride an FLHTCU with after market mirrors that sit high and wide because I like seeing what’s on my 6 quick & easy without having to look down more than necessary away from my forward field of view.I’ve got a real nice set of billet Joker Machine mirrors that I’d like to use laying on a shelf because they sit too low for me as is.With these extensions or something similar,I might be able to get them positioned where I want ‘em.

Kuryakyn’s ok for some stuff,but I avoid anything covered with their cheesey chrome.

21. 21 MC Jan 3rd, 2014 at 11:42 pm

Noticed these probably not a fit for my bike,HD’s got Mirror Extension Kit-91907-87 that would work plus whatever other options are out there elsewhere.Glad this topic jolted my memory,I’d forgotten about those mirrors,been meaning to get ‘em how I want or get rid of ‘em.

22. 22 BigAlyts Jan 5th, 2014 at 10:21 am

These are in the Motorcycle Books for Year’s and Years. Sport Bike Riders identified this Problem 20 years ago. They made and Bloggers made the. And sold them to BROTHER RIDERS from $12 to $30 depending how nice. HD comes around and has to Wound their Clients. This problem has been created by them a little bit as said before.

23. 23 Jeffersonian Jan 15th, 2014 at 1:38 pm

Or you could use the teardrop sportster mirrors. They come from factory with longer stem. 6 foot tall and I have run them On my last three FLTRs. You can find them at swap meets.