America’s Most Powerful 2 Into 1 Exhaust System For Harley Touring Models?

1Area512Area51Just another claim or reality? Area 51 Racing, a company in Napa, California that I didn’t know until now, is stating to me that the performance of their 2 into 1 head pipe and muffler combination for Harley-Davidson touring models 2001 to 2014 is unequaled in the industry. Their exhaust system uses a patent pending laminar flow venturi baffle extracting maximum power from high output motors. Removable sound blankets allow for adjustable decibel levels. Available as a complete system in chrome or black (with “anti reversion” contrast cut end caps) or head pipes and mufflers ($1.75” or 2”) sold separately. Watch the video after the jump. Area 51 Racing.

22 Responses to “America’s Most Powerful 2 Into 1 Exhaust System For Harley Touring Models?”

1. 1 BobS Jan 23rd, 2014 at 9:29 am

Now we’re talking. Thanks for including the dyno, the torque curve looks very nice. 140+ hp obvioulsy is more than just an exhaust, considering the claims made by the manufacturer it’d be nice to see how the charts compare between this pipe and it’s competition.

2. 2 Steve Carr Jan 23rd, 2014 at 10:17 am

ok, I’m about to start a storm of comments, and trust me, I do have the best of intentions.

1. The numbers shown are not representing a stock engine, these demos need to show the improvement over the base engines hp.

2. Any reciprocating engine depends on amount of air in, and out of the combustion chamber to produce hp.

3. There is no way to “bolt-in” horsepower to bring a stock engine beyond its factory hp rating unless internal engine mods are made.

4. All engines are designed to produce X hp for maximum lifespan and dependability from the engineers at each manufacture.

5. Please don’t try and use a supercharger, turbo, or nitrous as an example of bolt on hp. I am aware of those options and that’s not what I am trying to point out.

6. Alert the debate begin.

Steve Carr

3. 3 Will Jan 23rd, 2014 at 10:21 am

The dyno proves nothing without other data to compare to.

4. 4 Mrs. Behaves Jan 23rd, 2014 at 10:27 am

Ok Lets not get ahead of ourselves, the beginning of the video clearly states it is a 120R Street glide. Pay attention.. but it does not list any other mods which could easily be the case.

5. 5 Steve Carr Jan 23rd, 2014 at 10:47 am

no matter, point is, this ad “could” be misleading to some, not saying by intent, that’s why these demos need to use a base stock HD engine.

The average guy with a stock bagger will not see 140+ hp by bolting these pipes on as we all know.

further more, that bike would more than likely produce the same numbers within a few with anyone’s aftermarket exhaust.

To me the ad simply does not prove what if anything they have over any other exhaust manufacture.

Steve Carr

6. 6 Vince Jan 23rd, 2014 at 11:27 am

Looks an aweful lot like “MGS Exhaust” with anti-reversion and venturi baffles….. Would love to see a shootout between those two…. on a stock HD.

7. 7 Terence Tory Jan 23rd, 2014 at 11:55 am

Well that whole 1.06 minutes of my time will never come back again.Without a spec sheet on the motor it is a waste of everyone else’s time too.

A stock 120R puts out 135+ HP from the factory.

So a freer breathing and noisier exhaust pumps out say two or three extra HP in each cylinder more that a stock setup.Or they have just raised the revs a bit.

If the dyno calibration is out by 1% the exact HP figure may well be the same as a motor setup the same as it left the factory.

8. 8 BobS Jan 23rd, 2014 at 1:34 pm

Steve, I would counter that while all engines are designed a certain way quite often epa regs require they be run leaner than designed, reduced air, retarded timing, etc. For most bikes, certainly for the Harley’s these pipes were designed for, bolt ons like air intakes, fuel controllers, cams, and pipes can add significant hp, although certainly not 140. I say it’s a good first step but to really back up their claims show me a typically modded bike…SE intake, cams, and fuel controller. Then show me the same bike on the same dyno with these pipes, with V&H, with Rinehart, etc and then we’ll see if one really is far and away the best performance pipe. At least they’re not bragging up power then only showing sound.

9. 9 Steve Carr Jan 23rd, 2014 at 3:25 pm

BobS,

You are correct, and a few of the items you stated I agree with.

Now without making ANY internal changes to the engine at all, what would your estimate be of significant hp gains with changing the breather pipes and ECU mods only?

Steve Carr

10. 10 HD Rider Jan 23rd, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Looks like another Kitchen Magician/Snake oil advertisement. I wonder if these folks plan to bring their wares to the upcoming V-Twin Expo with hopefully more comparison data. I’d like to see them head to head with a D&D Fatcat or Boarzilla, or thunderheader, or Pro-Pipe, etc.

11. 11 BobS Jan 23rd, 2014 at 4:16 pm

Steve…I’m not as well versed with Harley. But on a Victory…intake, exhaust, and fuel controller will pick up about 14-17hp. Add cams and it’s pushing 30 more hp over stock. I think both those qualify as significant. I’ve also seen rather mundane sounding 2-1’s outperform “badass” looking and sounding pipes. So I presume Harley guy has the same obstacles, same epa after-all, and would hope my HD brothers get as much benefit from mods as I do.

12. 12 Blackmax Jan 23rd, 2014 at 4:20 pm

BobS & Steve Carr are Right On !!!!
    Yes, I’d like to see them back up the claims against
    Reinhart, V & H, Supertrapp, Freedom Performance, Rush, etc, etc ….
    hell I’d even settle to see them up against Kuryakyn, Cobra or Jardine
    And, yes Vince they do look like MGS

13. 13 Steve Carr Jan 23rd, 2014 at 4:54 pm

BobS,

Again I agree with you.

with that being said, my point is, and that I have been trying to make is. there is no such thing as “adding” hp with bolt on external parts, all that can be gained by doing so is to access what the factory designed into said engine.

In my opinion, and from my experience and education this is simply the way it is.

You can’t get blood from a turnip unless one puts blood in that turnip….

Steve Carr

14. 14 jim Jan 24th, 2014 at 8:34 am

I’ll stick with my D&D Fatcat and Borzilla, especially for the price!!!

15. 15 mikey Jan 24th, 2014 at 9:32 am

My two cents worth guys, that torque curve…… In my experience in tuning engines, I have seen “dips” in the power curve (torque curve) from high rpm high power extracting exhaust systems and mufflers. This system seem to be working well with the torque rising fast and staying within 15 ft lbs of the 140 max ft lbs for about 3,500 rpm. The system is fairly well “balanced” for this street engine. They are advertising a (powerful system), thats a hard nut to crack.

16. 16 SIGFREED Jan 24th, 2014 at 9:35 am

When I saw the ‘head'(hint, hint)-line I promised myself I would not be drawn into the debate – alas, I simply could not help myself when I saw some (if not all of) the comments.

Exhaust science is massively complex (in principle) – eg it involves (sub-sonic- to supersonic) wave physics, transients, fluid dynamics, bla, bla ,bla.., etc, etc. At best, many “exhaust builders” practice ‘chinese-science’ – ie we know it works, but we do not know why…

Add to this, the complexities of physics of the internal combustion machine and trust me, it becomes a dark science, best left to the bona fide experts – including those with endless experience.

The exhaust of the 4-stroke machine allows umpteen manipulations (I would not even begin to venture into a debate on 2-stroke exhausts here) and in many cases ultimate horsepower/kilowatt is effectively a meaningless number (let alone the debate around dyno results – a two-dozen-beer deep debate on its own).

In short: Power (viz hp and kW) is an absolutely theoretical number – you cannot measure it (it is calculated eg by the dyno’s internal program – a debate for another day) and you most certainly cannot experience it.

Humans experience the sensation of acceleration (or the reaction of moving from rest and/or a certain state and/or against gravity – to keep it simple) and speed (iow the scenery flying past you – apart from experiencing first-hand the effect/s of a speeding ticket, to mention but one other side-effect) and apart from other things like vibration, noise, blood-flow to a certain biological protrusion when the opposite sex gestures at your machine and such – but you certainly do not experience “POWER” – it is a myth.

If you understand what you are doing, you can liberate a multitude of engine behaviour characteristics, via exhaust design. Eg – you can affect a torque bias (eg over a certain rpm range) and deliver a far more enjoyable experience from your ride. We have not even entered the debate of good fabrication skills – over and above understanding exhaust physics (eg dispelling myths about back-pressure, etc, etc, etc).

An obsession for absolute peak horsepower/kilowatt numbers, can result in a real ‘dog’, only suited for a straight-line speed pursuit at Bonneville – nowhere in the real world.

If you want to talk to real exhaust professionals (with respect), consults people (well actually fanatics) like Zard, Acrapovic, Yoshimura and alike.

17. 17 Gio Santa Mamba Jan 24th, 2014 at 9:54 am

Thanks to Steve Carr !

18. 18 Bean're Jan 27th, 2014 at 10:04 am

I once talked to a guy that said he had 150 hp on his 80 inch evo. I said no way and he started telling me all the bolt on parts that added 25% and 40 % ect. then he added up all the percentages and said that comes to 250%. You just can’t argue with that reasoning.

19. 19 1550TC Jan 27th, 2014 at 6:54 pm

A stock 120R puts out 135+ HP from the factory.

Seen one at 115 and from what i heard most are close to 120………so id love to see a dyno rub sheet that shows me a stock 120R putting out the 135 + hp

20. 20 MSS Jan 28th, 2014 at 12:09 pm

Thanks to everyone for your comments. Yes – we will be at the V-Twin Show in Cincinatti and yes – we do have some comparison data. Look forward to seeing you all there 🙂

21. 21 Pete Doanato Jan 29th, 2014 at 3:57 am

I have 2011 RG Ultra with engine upgrade SE CNC heads, cams, pistons the works and I had the V&H pro pipe 2 into 1. I live in Michigan and had the work done in the late part of the year so I didn’t have a lot of time to ride. With all that being said I switch to the Aera 51 Black two into two true duels with the shark bite tip. They work. Do your tests and yea the dymanics of tuned exhaust and there are many factors that impact the test reading like tune type of Dynamometer and the operator air temp ect ect ect. So the only truth is the one that has the correct MATCHING parts that work together. So far the system works, run them side by side test them. I think you’ll fine them to be true to there claim.

22. 22 Terence Tory Jan 29th, 2014 at 8:31 am

1550TC,you are on the money.The factory probably cites crankshaft horsepower.So factor in the primary,gears,belt,dragging disc pads and wheel bearings eating up maybe ten horses on the way to the wheel spinning on the dyno.

Pete Doanato,I think you mean parts that compliment each other,not matching.One companies 10:1 pistons will likely work just as fine as any anothers.

People who spend ages trying to get a few more horses could just remove their stock mirrors and gain effectively 10 HP at highway speeds.

Crusher