Iron Butt Association. Did You Know?

ironbutt1In the comments section, on different features I published, some of you have mentioned the Iron Butt riders. But I realize that most of you don’t know what is The Iron Butt Association (IBA). First, let me mention that the Iron Butt Association is a very loose knit group of about 50,000 members around the world without yearly dues or formal meetings. Just irregular email updates with long distance riding tips (To get on the list, e-mail your request to ibanews@ironbutt.com mentioning that you want to subscribe to Iron Butt News.)

Supporters are all endurance-motorcycling enthusiasts riding long distance, a few thousand miles at a time, simply for the challenge of doing it, some wanting to see a lot of the country in a shortest amount of time, and doing it safely…Their slogan is “The World Is Our Playground.”

ironbutt2The IBA hosts many different rides, the most well known being the 11-day, 11,000 mile Iron Butt Rally. Among many others, the Saddle Sore (1000 miles in 24 hours), the Bun Burner (1500 miles in 36 hours), the Master Traveler Award (visit 50 parks in at least 25 US states), the coveted 10/10t Challenge (10 consecutive 1,000 mile days) and the almost-impossible to get into 100K Club (100,000 miles or more in one year).

The IBA offers completion certificates and pins members take to online forums to swap stories and all sorts of advice, of safety tips, etc. The organization’s only group riding event is the competitive Iron Butt Rally, held every two years. About 100 participants are chosen by lottery from the applicant pool. Last year, about 1000 people applied for the 2013 rally. The 11-day, 11,000-mile course traverses challenging terrain such as the heart of Death Valley and the top of Pikes Peak, with bonus checkpoints along the way for stops at offbeat sites.

Zipper's Kits For New Bikes

11 Responses to “Iron Butt Association. Did You Know?”

1. 1 CW Jul 3rd, 2014 at 9:11 am

Going for my first IBA challenge later this month!

2. 2 RokDoctor Jul 3rd, 2014 at 11:34 am

Have done quite a number of what they would call “bun burners” and “saddle sore” rides, but never bothered with the receipt documentation.

Oh well.

3. 3 Magnet Man Jul 4th, 2014 at 9:45 am

Great people, many are my Dimple customers, a natural.
    Very nice group and safety conscious, as well.

4. 4 bigalyts Jul 5th, 2014 at 10:04 am

Love to see a Custom Chopper become do a Challenge!

5. 5 nicker Jul 5th, 2014 at 10:46 pm

Racking up miles can certainly be fun, and rewarding …..in an obsessive-compulsive sort-a way.
    But the notion that one can “… see a lot of the country …. safely….” while doing this might be a bit of a stretch.

-nicker-

6. 6 JackS Jul 6th, 2014 at 7:12 am

I am an Iron Butt patch holder. Thought since I do a lot of cross country rides, may as well have the patch. For me, the high mileage rides were born out of necessity if I wanted to attend rallies 1,000 and 1,500 miles away and not burn every day of vacation.

7. 7 hark Jul 7th, 2014 at 8:52 am

I have done the 1000 and 1500…did the 1500 back in the days when the rules were under 24 hours to complete the ride…it was crazy…I would never do it again today…no doubt to finish that ride under 24 you have to be going way over the speed limit all the time. Glad they made it 36 hours now…anyone can complete the ride.

8. 8 ray Jul 7th, 2014 at 11:40 am

There is a cross country chopper race. It’s called The Stampede. No rear suspension, no windshields, no rubber mounted engines and no chase vehicles. Stampede 9 just finished (it was brutal).

9. 9 Steve D... Jul 7th, 2014 at 2:44 pm

I have several friends that do distance rallies, including a couple of regular IBR competitors. I don’t get it, but to each their own…
    Riding down the slab bores me to tears. I’d rather be out on the twisties, scraping down the pegs. I may not get the miles my long distance buddies ride, but my hours on the back roads are twice as thrilling!

10. 10 sammy38pbzcmaci.edublogs.org Jul 13th, 2014 at 9:15 am