Breaking News. As Of July 1, 2015 Ape Hangers Are Now Legal In South Dakota.

cyril-huze-motorcycle-peacemakerGood news for those who are going to attend the 2015 Sturgis 75th Anniversary Rally. No more worry and no more 20-dollar tickets for riding in South Dakota on a motorcycle equipped with ape hangers. On Tuesday February 24, 2015 Governor Dennis Daugaard signed Senate Bill 85, abolishing on July 1, 2015 the South Dakota law that prohibited such type of motorcycle handlebars when they are higher than shoulder height.

13 Responses to “Breaking News. As Of July 1, 2015 Ape Hangers Are Now Legal In South Dakota.”

1. 1 Rodent Feb 26th, 2015 at 9:12 am

Best news for 75th,earth shattering, so all the newbies who can’t ride will be getting apes to improve their skills.

2. 2 Danny Feb 26th, 2015 at 9:59 am

It’s a Cyril Huze bike.

3. 3 grmp54 Feb 26th, 2015 at 10:21 am

Huge loss of revenue for the staters. They will surely find a replacement source for that quick buck! Got a couple of those back in ’89 with some 8″ risers and some buckhorns on the pan. One stater made me push the scooter out into a field and told me if he saw it back on a public road before it was “legal” it would be impounded and so would I. Ahh, good times.

4. 4 Yank Feb 26th, 2015 at 11:29 am

I got tired of loosing my bars and pulling them down to ride in Sturgis. now they will back where they are supposed to be! High and forward.

5. 5 Yank Feb 26th, 2015 at 11:29 am

Now if I could only spell Loosening!

6. 6 Bean're Feb 26th, 2015 at 12:30 pm

I took the ape hangers off my bike in 1990 after 3 tickets in Sturgis. It just might be time to put them back on……….

7. 7 Rick Fairless Feb 26th, 2015 at 2:14 pm

About 20 years ago, I was on my Pan heading to Sturgis on I-90 & I got a high handlebar ticket & I turned around to head back to the hotel & I got another one before I got back! I haven’t ridden my Pan with apes in Sturgis since! Maybe this year I’ll bring the Pan back out! RF

8. 8 SIGFREED Feb 26th, 2015 at 2:20 pm

BUT public erections are still illegal in SD – before anybody gets too exited…

9. 9 Rodent Feb 26th, 2015 at 4:36 pm

Be real careful if you go through Colorado or from Colorado on your way to Sturgis as they’re going to be watching for legal pot being brought into illegal South Dakota. If they catch you they can confiscate your bike, RV, trailer.

10. 10 Marlin 39A Feb 27th, 2015 at 9:34 am

Taking your bike, RV, trailer etc. would be a great revenue replacement for a 20 dollar handlebar ticket, wouldn’t it? The costumed, ass wipes in Sherman County KS, are ever watchful for CO plates coming through their jurisdiction on I-70 that might be carrying the Devil Weed and employ illegal searches to ruin your life for your effort.

11. 11 Bear Feb 27th, 2015 at 11:20 am

Had my own incident with a trooper and apes, 20 some odd years ago. Chased me 10 miles on I-90 to catch up and write a $25 ticket, payable in cash, on the spot.Told me if I didn’t want a ticket next time don’t slump in the seat or relax. Just so happened to be lunch time with a steakhouse down the rode. Wonder where that cash fine money went?

12. 12 jiggs Mar 3rd, 2015 at 3:03 pm

ABATE of South Dakota worked hard and long budding the political relationships to get this passed. If you are not a member of your local motorcycle rights organization you should be.

13. 13 Blackmax Mar 5th, 2015 at 4:40 pm

If they don;t get you for this anymore
    There’s always that 1 mph over the speed limit
    or the 1 beer you drank somewhere.
    Sturgis is not about freedom anymore
    it’s about the $$$$$$