75th Daytona Bike Week. What Police Officers Will Be Watching For.

dbpd1Officially, Daytona Bike Week starts Friday March 4th. Bikers will be all over the Volusia & Flagler counties with police departments enforcing Florida motorcycle-related laws.

In addition to careless or reckless riding, excessive speed, racing on the streets or highways, driving under the influence, etc some Florida motorcycle statutes dictate what is legal or illegal. Below are listed the most important you should know.

1- Footrests, handholds, and handlebars: footrests must be provided for a passenger on a motorcycle, unless it is equipped with sidecar or enclosed cab. Handlebars or handgrips cannot be higher than the top of the shoulders of the person operating the motorcycle while properly seated upon the motorcycle.

2- Equipment for motorcycles: an eye protective device must be worn by the operator of the motorcycle, both during day & night.

3-Mirrors: every vehicle and motorcycle, operated singly or when towing any other vehicle, must have a rear view mirror that allows the driver a rear view of the highway for a minimum distance of 200 feet.

4- Wearing of headsets: mo motorcycle operator can wear a headset, headphone, or other listening device. The exception is a hearing aid or instrument for the improvement of defective human hearing.

5- Motorcycle headlights to be turned on: headlights must be on at all times, day & night, while the motorcycle or motor-driven cycle is being driven on public streets or highways.

11 Responses to “75th Daytona Bike Week. What Police Officers Will Be Watching For.”

1. 1 splattttttt Mar 3rd, 2016 at 9:16 am

as long as I can expose my hairless dome, WHO cares

2. 2 Dean Mar 3rd, 2016 at 10:38 am

Quote >>> “4 – Wearing of headsets: no motorcycle operator can wear a headset, headphone, or other listening device. The exception is a hearing aid or instrument for the improvement of defective human hearing.”

Two points… 1)… So we can’t wear SENA or Cardo headsets, but the bike cops can wear headsets and boom microphones? 2) I didn’t know my hearing loss makes me out to be a defective human being.

3. 3 chopperjohn Mar 3rd, 2016 at 10:41 am

Ormond Beach Police Department is especially hard on Bikers. They are in full force giving tickets everywhare…beware..

Rideon

4. 4 marcus Mar 3rd, 2016 at 11:23 am

The Orlando Sentinel looked at this a few years ago. The number one reason to get ticketed is dangerous or bad behavior. Drunk riding is at the top of the list. “Soft” infractions like rolling slow through stop signs, parking in a walkway or illegal U-turns are mostly tolerated. Equipment tickets were nearly 100% 30 day warnings to get it fixed (unless related to accident etc.). Use common sense.

5. 5 KD Mar 3rd, 2016 at 1:13 pm

Ya know, I thought I’d like to go to Daytone Bike week sometime, now, not so much. I agree with Dean on this one. THAT is a stupid law.

6. 6 richards Mar 3rd, 2016 at 7:27 pm

Indian Springfield $20,999….Harley Road King $18,749… The Indian is $2,250 higher cost.

7. 7 bigitch Mar 4th, 2016 at 3:34 pm

is this daytona or myrtle beach???

8. 8 Stephen Mar 4th, 2016 at 4:39 pm

None of the rules look to be too tough although rule 4 above needs clarification. They specifically say a listening device so it suggests to me they are concerned about people listening to music and not being able to hear other traffic and so it becomes about safety.

They did not say intercoms and with every bluetooth intercom I have owned the speaker is mounted in the helmet so I would argue that I was not wearing a listening device. They also did not say using a listening device just wearing one. I not a lawyer but I think you could argue the rule is sufficiently vague that using an intercom is not specifically covered by the rule.

9. 9 bigalyts Mar 4th, 2016 at 10:32 pm

Stephen, you are a 101% correct about the device speakers mounted in the Helmet? I wear a full face helmet and I think that I am fully legal listening to the info on where the Cops are Parked Busting Balls and set up with Speed Traps?%#&*&^%$

10. 10 ib12541 Mar 5th, 2016 at 8:52 am

as long as the speaker does not contact the ear directly all is well. the state is concerned that speakers plugged directly into the ear will hinder your ability to hear emergency or police. also, if you ride without a helmet you must have at least $10K in medical insurance. these two items will probably never come in to play unless you’ve been pulled over for some other egregious offense. ride safe and enjoy the event. this is not a big deal.

11. 11 B. D. Mar 11th, 2016 at 3:12 pm

My number 1 pet peeve (and I have seen the Daytona cops crack down on this repeatedly) is riders wearing sun glasses after the sun goes down and then peering over them to see. Get yourself a pair of clear or yellow glasses to wear at night and there’s no problem.

I have even gone to Harbor Freight and bought a dozen pair @ $2 ea (they have both clear and yellow safety glasses) to stash in the saddle bags and then pass out to riding buddies who aren’t properly prepared for riding at night.

Every rider should get and carry with you some nighttime riding glasses – it’s safer and it avoids tickets!

Thrifty Rent-A-Car System, Inc.
Affliction Holdings, LLC