Motion Sensing Smart Self-Canceling Turn Signal For Your Motorcycle

safeturn1safeturn2Smart Turn System is the first self canceling turn signal system for motorcycles that is able to accurately turn off the signal at the completion of a maneuver. As the system makes use of motion sensor technology it is able to reliably determine whether a rider has changed a lane, exited a roundabout or simply completed a turn at a crossroad – the turn signal is always canceled as the maneuver is completed.

A patented system collects movement data of the motorcycle and uses an algorithm to determine what kind of a maneuver is taking place – once it is finished, the system completes its job by canceling the turn signal.

The idea was born from a misfortunate situation that could easily have turned into one of disastrous consequences – “I was riding around with turn signals left on after a completion of a maneuver and a very attentive car driver cut me off from the side road – his assumption of me intending to make a right turn at the crossroad was soundly based on what he was able to see: a blinking turn signal.” says Miha Kovač, the CEO of the company. As he discovered that there is no reliable solution for this problem on the market, he started gathering a larger team of experts to address this problem and prepare an operational prototype of a turn signal cancellation device. Video after the jump.

The company started collecting applications for their beta testing program this month – the first beta testers will be able to give their system a go in March. The system will be commercially available in spring 2016. More info At Safer Turn.

10 Responses to “Motion Sensing Smart Self-Canceling Turn Signal For Your Motorcycle”

1. 1 Chief Waldo Apr 13th, 2016 at 8:42 am

I don’t understand why so many manufacturers have a problem making self canceling turn signals. But I do know that the system on the Victory Vision I had was the best I’ve used. It even had a lane change mode that worked simply.

2. 2 Woody's Apr 13th, 2016 at 8:51 am

@CW, agreed, and one of the few times I wish the gummint HAD stuck their noses in and required self-cancelling signals on all bikes. Quite simply, it’s a safety feature and some mfrs. have not stepped up voluntarily to add this simple feature.

3. 3 Steal Your Face Apr 13th, 2016 at 9:21 am

I love my 85 H-D with push to signal buttons. I’ve never had a signal flashing inadvertently.

4. 4 Jonny Speed Apr 13th, 2016 at 10:40 am

Steal Your Face – I hate that my ’87 H-D has push to signal buttons that don’t stay activated unless pushed. Even worse, the left and right signals are split between the left and right switch housing. Who wants to hold down a signal with their thumb while they’re trying to control the throttle and brake? I just got the bike, but I plan to change that as soon as possible. I don;t need auto cancelling signals, but I do need something that was designed with actual riding in mind.

5. 5 BobS Apr 13th, 2016 at 10:57 am

I think BMW and Harley both use that goofy two button system. Not all that hard once you get used to it, but kinda like Chief said, ride the Victory a couple blocks and it’s like, “Huh, why aren’t Harleys and Beemers like this?”

6. 6 Myk L. Apr 13th, 2016 at 11:36 am

Bubba Ironhead: Please put these on your bikes.!

7. 7 Bubba Ironhead Apr 13th, 2016 at 5:49 pm

To Myk L.
    DMC dude, I at least have turn signals on the bikes.

8. 8 JohnnySpeed Apr 13th, 2016 at 8:50 pm

BobS – My first bike years ago was a ’77 Suzuki GS400 and it still has the best signal setup I’ve ever used. Simple, effective, left hand hand operation. I just googled Victory’s turn signal switch setup and it looks almost identical to the ’77 GS400’s, so i may just have to put one on my Harley.lol I’ve always appreciated Victory’s engineering, I just can’t get past the styling and engine mount setup. I stick with older Harley’s because they’re easy to repair and modify and parts are so easy to come by. If I don’t like something, I just change it. But, that’s not everyone’s idea of fun!lol

9. 9 calif phil Apr 14th, 2016 at 7:46 am

I prefer the two button turn signal switch set up. I think the HD self canceling works pretty good.

10. 10 Blackmax Apr 18th, 2016 at 3:34 pm

Good idea for those investing in a low-budget cycle
    Otherwise shouldn’t they come with them already ????
    If not, Why not ???
    in this safety-conscience bureaucracy we live in ???

Cyril Huze